Money exchange

Toad

Can you change money on the ship from USD to EUROS, Krone etc. If so is the exchange rate good or is it better to do this elsewhere and if so what would you recommend? Most big purchases of course would be by CC, but would like to have local currency for smaller purchases.

2 recent cruises to/from Rome on NS, we were able to exchange Euros both ways. I honestly didn't take notice of the exchange rate, but it certainly had to be better than the 40% at the airport (ouch).

Note that they do carry a limited amount, so they could run out. And selling them back, they will only accept bills, no coins, even if you're apply to your account.

A couple years ago on Canada/ New England cruise, we did the same thing with Canadian currency, but don't know if they still do it.

The exchange rate on board is atrocious most times.  Remember, they are not going to the bank every day so they have to allow for the risk. (Which means a premium)  I usually bring currency with me and if I need more I use an ATM where the exchange rate is better.  Just make sure you use a bank ATM.

No one accepts coins for exchange back so use as many as you can or save them for your next trip.

25 minutes ago, Toad said:

Can you change money on the ship from USD to EUROS, Krone etc. If so is the exchange rate good or is it better to do this elsewhere and if so what would you recommend? Most big purchases of course would be by CC, but would like to have local currency for smaller purchases.

Many places in Europe are now tap and go on your card.  Scandanavian countries are even more so.  Indeed, the Irish Govenment is currently considering legislation to force businesses to accept cash!

However to answer your question, yes you can purchase currencies at the 'usury department' oops sorry, front desk!  You will pay!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I was considering that in a past trip to Iceland and places in the UK there are often local families with hand crafted items for sale and was assuming they wouldn’t take CC’s but I could be wrong…

It sounds as if using local bank ATM’s is a good idea as well. 

39 minutes ago, Toad said:

I was considering that in a past trip to Iceland and places in the UK there are often local families with hand crafted items for sale and was assuming they wouldn’t take CC’s but I could be wrong…

It sounds as if using local bank ATM’s is a good idea as well. 

Local ATMs are always recommended on the ports boards. And as mentioned, the exchange rate on board will be horrible.

Also as mentioned, much of Europe is cash free, particularly northern Europe.

Make sure to notify your bank and CC company if you are out of country.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Local ATMs are always recommended on the ports boards. And as mentioned, the exchange rate on board will be horrible.

Also as mentioned, much of Europe is cash free, particularly northern Europe.

Make sure to notify your bank and CC company if you are out of country.

Our cc company says they do not need to be notified, but I do it anyway.

On our recent cruise, we had trouble using Euros in Amsterdam. Most of the places would only take credit or debit cards. And the rest preffered them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In all of travels in 2023 CC company said they didn’t need to know prior, to travel, which I found strange, but on our last trip to Newfoundland I didn’t tell the company and had no issues so I guess it is not necessary any longer.  

I agree notifying the bank is a good idea.  I will still want a small amount of local currency.  

I use the ship often.  I think the convenience is worth the fee in many locations.  I mean, I am not buying a house just getting a few coins for public restrooms and such.  For euros I usually ask friends and families if they have any left over.  When I leave I convert the euros to chocolate at the duty free airport shop 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

49 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, their fraud systems (at leas here in Canada) are very good.  I do not need to notify mine - just my bank.

49 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

On our recent cruise, we had trouble using Euros in Amsterdam. Most of the places would only take credit or debit cards. And the rest preffered them.

that’s interesting.  I don’t like to use my credit card in foreign countries except for major purchases.  I paid in euros for my cab, Uber, restaurants, etc and had no issue.  

Hotel of course was paid with CC but otherwise, I used cash.

A couple of the hotels where I will be staying in Norway June 2024 have completely cashless policies.  They state right on the website and reservation confirmations that they don't have any cash at all on site.  I haven't heard this so far in the Netherlands though. (euro)

~Nancy

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oakridger said:

A couple of the hotels where I will be staying in Norway June 2024 have completely cashless policies.  They state right on the website and reservation confirmations that they don't have any cash at all on site.  I haven't heard this so far in the Netherlands though. (euro)

~Nancy

The places in the Netherlands that were not accepting Euros were museums. And since DW is (actually now retired) an art teacher, museums are a go to place in many of our port stops.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ontheweb said:

That was my experience in The Netherlands and Belgium last year.  The only place I had to have currency was the pay toilet in Brugges.  I also tipped my driver and the hotel porter with euros. 

A lot of the mom and pop food stands at the winter festivals took euros. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alwaysfrantic said:

We just went to an ATM to get local currency when needed.  With a no foreign transaction fee debit card that refunds all ATM fees from Schwab. 

Don’t have a Schwab card or account but happy for you