I got upgraded, too!

jayoldschool

I added my details to the Move Up thread, but was so happy that I thought I would start a thread. Booked a porthole OV on the xmas Ascent. The old "just get on the boat" move. After I figured out the Move Up process, I put bids (min) on every balcony I could up to AQ. I wasn't offered anything higher. Sure enough... got one of the last two AQs on Friday! Should be a nice surprise for my travel mate, lol, they don't know. And I won't tell them until I grab the cards and walk in!

My minor issue is friends are joining, and they aren't in AQ. We'll make it work.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Just to be clear, you PAID for the upgrade? You weren't "upgraded" which suggests it was complimentary?

Exactly, complimentary free upgrades are almost a thing of the past, Celebrity is making huge money off of the move up program.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Celebrity is making huge money off of the move up program.

That's for sure.  I got one of those move-up emails and laughed.  Every minimum bid set would have exceeded the cost of just booking that class originally.  For me, there was no case that made economic sense.  Maybe others have had better luck.

• Like 2

The Move Up bid that I won with was at least 1000pp under what it would have cost me at booking time. Any balcony on this sailing was double the cost pp/day over that porthole OV. When I start to research a booking, I create a spreadsheet and break it down by itinerary, ship, room class, and cost per day per person. It's really easy to see where the money goes.

So yes, Celebrity made some money. But I think I did ok 😉

Edited by jayoldschool
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Lena11033 said:

yep they are making a lot -  I got a move up email yesterday, minimum bid for one room was 1,110 pp and the other 2,700 pp

I hope I can help them make bank.  Put an upgrade from a sunset veranda to Sunset Sky Suite, a bit pricey but would still be $4000 less if I booked that in the first place. Already have Prem. bev/wifi and OBC so have all suite "perks" already.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Winemaker_1 said:

That's for sure.  I got one of those move-up emails and laughed.  Every minimum bid set would have exceeded the cost of just booking that class originally.  For me, there was no case that made economic sense.  Maybe others have had better luck.

We were able to get ours at a large discount to the cruise fare.  It all depends upon the cruise.

I wonder why I haven't gotten a moveup email on either of my last two cruises?  I am eligible and put in bids on both (last one I never got a response, current one I am still 50 days out).

I feel neglected for not getting the email though! 🙂

19 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

I wonder why I haven't gotten a moveup email on either of my last two cruises?  I am eligible and put in bids on both (last one I never got a response, current one I am still 50 days out).

I feel neglected for not getting the email though! 🙂

We haven’t been getting them either.

Previously I could go to Manage Reservation and scroll to the bottom and the Move Up link was there.
I haven’t seen that on our recents cruises.  So I go to the website, search Move Up and you will find a link to put in your reservation number and the Move Up opportunity is there.  One caveat, not all TAs participate, including a large big box TA.

1 minute ago, jelayne said:

We haven’t been getting them either.

Previously I could go to Manage Reservation and scroll to the bottom and the Move Up link was there.
I haven’t seen that on our recents cruises.  So I go to the website, search Move Up and you will find a link to put in your reservation number and the Move Up opportunity is there.  One caveat, not all TAs participate, including a large big box TA.

Thanks...as I said, I have made bids via the link you describe.  I assume if I am allowed to make bids, then my TA participates...otherwise I would think the move up site wouldn't recognize me with my name a reservation number.

I am just wondering why I haven't gotten the emails.

3 minutes ago, jelayne said:

One caveat, not all TAs participate, including a large big box TA

That is why some never get the move up offer. Also if you booked under a group rate or discount my understanding is you are not eligible for MU.

1 minute ago, CruisinShips said:

Thanks...as I said, I have made bids via the link you describe.  I assume if I am allowed to make bids, then my TA participates...otherwise I would think the move up site wouldn't recognize me with my name a reservation number.

I have not received an email either, I book directly with X.   I checked the move-up website and whalah...

4 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

I get so many emails every day from Celebrity making it easy to overlook the move up offers. That happened to me on our cruise next month on the Edge, I finally found it by doing a search in my email folders.

We passed on the MU as the pricing was way too high and we had such a great deal on our Sky Suites when we booked in 2022. Currently a SS is priced 40% higher that what we paid.  There are several on our Roll Call who are still waiting for their move up approval and we sail in less than 30days.

Edited by terrydtx

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

That is why some never get the move up offer. Also if you booked under a group rate or discount my understanding is you are not eligible for MU.

Group rate bookings are eligible - just travelled on a group rate last month and was sent the Move Up email.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 2:32 AM, jayoldschool said:

I added my details to the Move Up thread, but was so happy that I thought I would start a thread. Booked a porthole OV on the xmas Ascent. The old "just get on the boat" move. After I figured out the Move Up process, I put bids (min) on every balcony I could up to AQ. I wasn't offered anything higher. Sure enough... got one of the last two AQs on Friday! Should be a nice surprise for my travel mate, lol, they don't know. And I won't tell them until I grab the cards and walk in!

My minor issue is friends are joining, and they aren't in AQ. We'll make it work.

Congratulations! Enjoy…

I cannot see the point in move up . It involving jumping to a guarantee cabin in a location that might be anywhere.

we too got an excellent price on our balcony cabin - booked two years ahead.

it is in the location that we wanted on the ship.

what are the possible benefits other than a larger, nicer cabin?

3 minutes ago, Traderboy said:

I cannot see the point in move up . It involving jumping to a guarantee cabin in a location that might be anywhere.

If you get a move up bid to the Retreat you will get much more than a bigger, nicer cabin. You get access to the Luminae suites restaurant, the Retreat lounge, Retreat sun deck (E Class) and all the other Retreat amenities. A person on our Edge cruise roll call for our cruise next month just got their move up bid from an IV verandah to a Sky Suite for $1200pp, this was a lot less overall than booking the SS to begin with would have cost. A SS on our cruise is currently going for about $6500pp, a standard IV cabin is about $3100pp with all included so with the added $1200 move up bid that SS cost $4300pp.

51 minutes ago, Traderboy said:

I Moved Up from a guarantee OV porthole to an Aqua Class balcony for 175 dollars. See the point now?

• Like 2

I wonder whether folks would regard mine as an upgrade. Booked a guarantee Prime Veranda on Millennium on the basis that these cabins are on a deck under other cabins and without connected staterooms and normal view from the balcony. Only the second time we've ever booked a guarantee and thought with that category we couldn't go wrong. Just been allocated a cabin under the Seaview Cafe, connected to another and with an overhang which means no sun on the balcony (I prefer sun). HOWEVER it's an Aqua Class which would have cost significantly more and comes with Blu, which we've experienced before and really liked the food there. Just hoping the positives of the Aqua experience outweigh the cabin negatives. 

• Like 1