difference between fully accessible and ambulatory accessible cabins

sunsetme

Guest Snaxmuppet

My research suggests the following...

Accessible is access with wheelchair/scooter

Ambulatory means you might have mobility issues but can walk perhaps with a cane/stick.

There is no such specific cabin category indicated as an "ambulatory accessible" cabin on the Regal Princess or any other Royal or Grand Class Princess ship. Excluding the fully wheelchair accessible cabins, all cabins have 22 inch entry doors. Inside, Outside, and Balcony category cabins have a step in shower and no sofa. Deluxe Balcony category cabins on Royal Class ships only also have a step in shower but they do have a two seat sofa. Mini Suites have a 3 seat sofa and a shower/tub combination where you have to step over the bathtub side to enter. For full suite cabin layouts research the one you are interested in.

The above does not represent the new Sun and Star Princess which are Sphere Class ships. 

26 minutes ago, skynight said:

There is no such specific cabin category indicated as an "ambulatory accessible" cabin on the Regal Princess or any other Royal or Grand Class Princess ship. Excluding the fully wheelchair accessible cabins, all cabins have 22 inch entry doors. Inside, Outside, and Balcony category cabins have a step in shower and no sofa. Deluxe Balcony category cabins on Royal Class ships only also have a step in shower but they do have a two seat sofa. Mini Suites have a 3 seat sofa and a shower/tub combination where you have to step over the bathtub side to enter. For full suite cabin layouts research the one you are interested in.

The above does not represent the new Sun and Star Princess which are Sphere Class ships. 

The accessible Mini Suite on Regal does not have a tub. It has a big shower with a fold down seat.

We were assigned an ambulatory balcony cabin on, I think, the Grand.  Shower had fold down seat in the shower and maybe an additional grab bar in the bathroom.  Other than that nothing different.

Edited by kiwimum

Found this from 2015: https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-reaches-agreement-carnival-corp-over-ada-violations-carnival-cruise-line

"Three percent of the cabins on 49 ships will be accessible according to three levels of accessibility: fully accessible cabins, fully accessible cabins with a single side approach to the bed, and ambulatory accessible cabins."

It sounds like at that time Princess and the other Carnival brands had to provide three types of ADA accessible rooms. I am not sure how to request each type now assuming that is possible.

Three types on all Carnival Corps ships.

Fully Accessible.

Wider cabins to help maneuver a wheelchair or mobility scooter

21 hours ago, desertdwellingsailor said:

Found this from 2015: https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-reaches-agreement-carnival-corp-over-ada-violations-carnival-cruise-line

"Three percent of the cabins on 49 ships will be accessible according to three levels of accessibility: fully accessible cabins, fully accessible cabins with a single side approach to the bed, and ambulatory accessible cabins."

It sounds like at that time Princess and the other Carnival brands had to provide three types of ADA accessible rooms. I am not sure how to request each type now assuming that is possible.

That is correct.  We always have to book fully accessible, because we are both use mobility scooters.  Fully accessible also means roll-in showers.  Here is the description. 

Fully Accessible suites are designed for use by guests with highly limited or no mobility who require regular use of a wheelchair, scooter, or other similar assistive devices and provide accessible elements including turning space, accessible routes throughout the cabin, and accessible bathrooms. Fully Accessible – Single Side Approach rooms are also designed for use by guests with highly limited or no mobility who require regular use of a wheelchair, scooter, or other similar assistive devices. These rooms provide an accessible route and clear floor space on only one side of the bed in a cabin configured to provide one bed and between the beds in a cabin configured to provide two beds. Ambulatory Accessible rooms are designed for use by guests with mobility disabilities who do not require the regular use of a wheelchair, scooter, or other similar assistive devices. These rooms provide some accessible features. The configuration of Accessible Suites may vary from the non-accessible suites. 

On 12/15/2023 at 11:56 AM, sunsetme said:

what is the difference and does the ambulatory cabin have a couch in the deluxe balcony category?

Have you tried contacting a TA or PVP to see if they can help.  I just tried making a booking in 2025 and was only given handicap cabins with a logo of a wheelchair next to the cabin number.    

5 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

Have you tried contacting a TA or PVP to see if they can help.  I just tried making a booking in 2025 and was only given handicap cabins with a logo of a wheelchair next to the cabin number.    

I now use a PVP since DW uses a scooter. I found that a lot of times they don't show all the accessible cabins and the PVP can access them. Last cruise we took there was none left interior accessible cabins, and none others were showing. My PVP found a balcony accessible cabin and we got it at interior price.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 3:49 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

If memory serves me well...don't count on it...

Aren't there "mistake" cabins?  Those that don't have doors wide enough for wheelchairs/scooters, but modified showers?

Yes. We were assigned one. Several of the "older" ships have them. Great cabin, only thing missing was a bathtub. Enormous balcony.

D733.JPG

• Like 2