Current 75% sale still charging singles 200%

citruscruiser

Under the current sale of 75% off second guest singles are being charged 200%. As an example 2 guests on a sailing may be $5000 total.  Changing the number of guests to 1, the total is close to $9000. Traveling as single most of the time I know we do wind up paying for two.  But shouldn’t singles be paying the same (minus taxes and port fees) as 2 guests🤔 Does anyone else see the confusion?

Yes, I have asked onboard sales who stated they brought it up to shoreside and the answer was there is no glitch in the system. I have contacted the main office and was told the sale is for double occupancy. So is Celebrity trying to get rid of us singles!

@citruscruiserits not double the regular price(without beverage or wi*fi), it’s double the price that includes the package and then add extra for the package if you select that category. I was shocked at the prices…can get a solo cruise on Oceania, RSSc or Seabourn for much less that includes tours, tips, suites, beverages and specialty dining.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Have you considered a solo cabin on an E class ship? NCL also offers solo cabins. 

Tiny or inside rooms. I understand that not everyone wants to be delegated to those. 
 Just like taxes, single with no dependents get no breaks. 

Enjoy your vacation OP. 

• Like 3

The NCL ones are inside with 'virtual windows' - they tried to sell me on those when I was booking but I want to be able to have air come into the room so had to just pay for 2.

The E class ships I think are better for me as a solo traveller, I know a lot of people don't like the IV but certainly better than a tiny room (looks like a cupboard) with a tv screen for a window.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SouKnoMe said:

Tiny or inside rooms. I understand that not everyone wants to be delegated to those. 
 Just like taxes, single with no dependents get no breaks. 

Enjoy your vacation OP. 

Actually, I think the E class solo rooms are pretty spacious and even have an IV. I haven’t been in One personally but have seen some video tours on YouTube. 

And I agree with your “just like taxes..” sentiment but just wanted to throw out options. 

16 hours ago, citruscruiser said:

Under the current sale of 75% off second guest singles are being charged 200%. As an example 2 guests on a sailing may be $5000 total.  Changing the number of guests to 1, the total is close to $9000. Traveling as single most of the time I know we do wind up paying for two.  But shouldn’t singles be paying the same (minus taxes and port fees) as 2 guests🤔 Does anyone else see the confusion?

Yes, I have asked onboard sales who stated they brought it up to shoreside and the answer was there is no glitch in the system. I have contacted the main office and was told the sale is for double occupancy. So is Celebrity trying to get rid of us singles!

Their math is pretty simple. It's charged as 200% of the price for the first person - whatever that price may be. Since there is no person 2 there is no 75% off any portion. In this situation wait until there is a sale that has a discount applied for person 1 and 2. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, both pricing were NRD and no perks so I was trying not to put down 2 deposits to possibly lose and mess with the inventory.  I was trying to book now due to the cruises having the best pricing since they were just released. It is on a Millennium class ship so single room was not an option.

This is the first time that it was not quoted the same price as if 2 guests were booking. Possibly as more singles try to book it will get their attention and create more conversations with Celebrity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, citruscruiser said:

This is the first time that it was not quoted the same price as if 2 guests were booking. Possibly as more singles try to book it will get their attention and create more conversations with Celebrity. 

Agree... not seen this issue before as I always book solo... They have definitely changed something in the past couple of weeks.  I booked a Sunset Veranda for 2025 the day the Boston/Canada came out on Dec 7th.  A solo cabin was $4866 with fees and cruise only.  After reading this post, I just did a mock booking and the same cabin is $7854.  Double occupancy is $4668.  That's just crazy!

Hopefully this is an IT glitch... would never pay $7854 for a solo cabin.  Might be a good time to email executive offices and ask.  I have had very good success with getting a prompt response...  LBethge@celebrity.com

Edited by twincheryl
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Actually, I think the E class solo rooms are pretty spacious and even have an IV. I haven’t been in One personally but have seen some video tours on YouTube. 

And I agree with your “just like taxes..” sentiment but just wanted to throw out options. 

I’m a square footage person. I choose based on the numbers. Something about the possibility of bumping into the edge if the bed and wall wasn’t for me. And from what I could tell most of those rooms are on level 6.  Not interested. And I would never suggest to someone to accept what they don’t want. 

I understand that there should be a supplement for singles, especially the loss of possible alcohol income, but 200% is a bit much if it’s supposed to be a sale.  But me, I’m going to choose what I want and deal. 🤩

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

but don't they have practically zero closet space? I thought that's what I'd seen when I looked. I didn't mind the cabin size but the lack of closet storage was a big negative.

Edited by twins_to_alaska
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, twins_to_alaska said:

but don't they have practically zero closet space? I thought that's what I'd seen when I looked. I didn't mind the cabin size but the lack of closet storage was a big negative.

I thought the closet with hangers was a decent size but there wasn't much in the way of drawer space.

• Like 1

Yes, I'm very annoyed with this. I'm a solo cruiser and I just bit the bullet and booked a cabin at full price because it's a cruise I've had my eye on for a long time. I completely understand cruise lines charging solos for double occupancy, but to not offer us the same sale price that couples are getting for the same room is absurd.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, twincheryl said:

Agree... not seen this issue before as I always book solo... They have definitely changed something in the past couple of weeks.  I booked a Sunset Veranda for 2025 the day the Boston/Canada came out on Dec 7th.  A solo cabin was $4866 with fees and cruise only.  After reading this post, I just did a mock booking and the same cabin is $7854.  Double occupancy is $4668.  That's just crazy!

Hopefully this is an IT glitch... would never pay $7854 for a solo cabin.  Might be a good time to email executive offices and ask.  I have had very good success with getting a prompt response...  LBethge@celebrity.com

If anyone has success negotiating the price after contacting Celebrity, please let me know! I'd be happy to reach out as well. I booked one cruise at this price because I was worried about it selling out, but there are two more that I'm holding off on purely because of discriminatory solo pricing. 

Edited by critic2023

1 hour ago, critic2023 said:

If anyone has success negotiating the price after contacting Celebrity, please let me know! I'd be happy to reach out as well. I booked one cruise at this price because I was worried about it selling out, but there are two more that I'm holding off on purely because of discriminatory solo pricing. 

Keep checking the price... and then call and have them reprice if it goes down or there is a different promotion.  As I said above, we just booked a cruise on Dec 7 that priced it correctly... after they sent out the email about "our special half yearly sale" or whatever they called it, this problem cropped up.  I would certainly escalate and be the squeaky wheel... it makes absolutely to sense to have to pay a huge amount more than double occupancy.  I always pay double and am used to it, but on the cruise I booked it's now $3000 more for a solo.  Just can't be correct...

I had this problem recently when booking a B3B so I could get the cabin I wanted for all three sailings.  I went ahead and booked for double occupancy (2nd person TBD) due to the high solo price, then called and spoke with customer service.  The person I spoke with said the special (75% off second guest) didn't apply to solo bookings, so encouraged me to keep the double occupancy booking as a work-around.  She agreed the pricing was unfair and said she had received many complaints.   

As @twincheryl mentioned, I'll watch pricing and specials and adjust the booking if I can.  Otherwise, my SO will be a no show.   

• Like 3

This has been happening for at least 20 years, it's not going to change. 

Just book with a dummy second passenger who you can cancel closer to departure and get the taxes and port fees refunded.

This is no different than a hotel - room costs the same whether it's for 1 person or 2. They're not giving you a break on the food because they're not going to reduce the amount of supplies they order due to a few single-occupancy cabins.

I looked at this for a cruise on the UK site.

Base fare including taxes  the solo got the 75% off the second fare   but could not book a GTY(cheaper)

checking again now(2pm UK)

infinity 10n Athens  2nd Feb totals  inc tax(£121pp)

2pax £1056($1345)

1pax £935

same cruise US prices(inc tax $153))

2pax $1905($1495)

1pax $1922

the big issue is they both add the AI  at double rate to the solo

UK £39pppd($50),  US  $48pppd

• Like 1

I'm so glad to hear that it's not just me thinking this is weird.

I was looking at a cruise on the Edge in May 2024; the price for two people in an inside cabin guarantee, with taxes and port fees but without the 'all included' extras, is $2,006CAD total for two people. Really great price for Alaska.

But I was planning to go solo so I adjusted the occupancy down to one person. And now the price is $2,974CAD for one person. Again, without the all-inclusive extras. Perhaps the difference is that for booking solo an inside guarantee was no longer available, so it required picking a specific inside cabin, but it's still incredibly frustrating and confusing.

If it was a matter of paying the double-occupancy $2,006CDN for one person, I'd take it. But paying an extra thousand dollars? Nope.

19 hours ago, citruscruiser said:

Thanks for checking the UK site. That is more inline with the normal pricing. I am trying to access the website while on board and will go to future cruise to see if the issue has been resolved. Thanks to all who understood the issue. 

For the same cruise,  the US came out very similar solo 2pax total, just more expensive than the UK.

I have raised the issue of GTY not being available to solo on the other place and the response from Celebrity was to talk to someone, they may be able to book it GTY Solo..

when looking at the lowest fares I think it is the GTY that that can result in the big difference as GTY sometimes are a lot lower. 

Thanks for all the tips here for solo travellers! 🙂 🙋‍♂️

1. For what it's worth, it really does make a difference in pricing if you book via the US/UK/EUR-website. I checked an Alaska cruise for 2 persons, including taxes, cruise-only, concierge class:

(All prices converted to USD, total pricess)

US: 2135 USD

UK: 2400 USD

EUR: 2320 USD

2. As a solo traveller I am willing to pay a bit more, but 200% is crazy. So, let's say I book a stateroom (cruise-only) for me and John Doe. John doens't show up, taxes are refunded. But I want to buy a drinking package in advance. Celebrity FAQ says that all persons of legal drinking age in the stateroom must buy a package. Preferably I only want to buy myself a Premium Package (heavy drinker) and nothing for John ;). But that doesn't seem to work. Is the only work around here to get a Zero-Package for John and simply 'lose' that money?

Any other creative ideas are more than welcome 🙂

I think there is another factor involved in the solo cabin pricing. That is what the number crunchers perceive as lost shipboard/ancillary revenue. If there is only one person in the cabin, that person will only book for one in a specialty restaurant, only book a tour for one, only book one person at a wine tasting, only gamble for one etc. IMO, this over the top solo pricing is to recoup some of what Celebrity thinks is lost revenue from solo passengers. And, as many of us have cruised before, we may not book anything extra. I often don’t, especially in the Caribbean, where I have been many times. If I want to get off the ship, I just walk around as I don’t need a tour. 

LHB has said that she wants to focus on making Celebrity a cruise line for families. Her target market is in the 30-50 age range who, whether traveling as a couple or with kiddos, are likely to spend $$ on the ship. Long time Celebrity cruisers and solos don’t spend as much money as new cruisers do.

Edited by Straughn
  • Like 2