Live from the Viking Sky (Ft Lauderdale to London) December 20, 2023 - May 6, 2024

Penspack

On 1/26/2024 at 5:39 PM, Liz Masterson said:

I’d love to know more about the rules for the ship building contest. I hear they also do them on the Chilean Fjords cruise we are taking next year… and my hubs is an engineer so this could keep him busy for months perhaps scheming. 😂

VIKING SKY 2024 WORLD CRUISE
SHIP BUILDING COMPETITION

Create your own NON-MOTORIZED sea-going vessel. Let your imagination go wild! It could be Kon Tiki-style raft, a marauding Pirate ship, a majestic sailboat, or even a Viking longship!

Here are the guidelines:

• You may create your vessel in teams of up to 6 persons.
  • Your vessel must be a representation of a NON-MOTORIZED water vessel.
  • Collect your own materials, but remember - no ship property such as towels, trays, cutlery, china, linens, etc.
  • Use recyclable materials or anything you find ashore.
  • Please name your vessel and be prepared to introduce it to the judging panel.
  • You'll score points for creativity, workmanship, use of recyclable materials and sea-worthiness.
  • Your vessel must be able to navigate the bumpy seas of the Deck 7 pool or Jacuzzi without capsizing.
  • Your vessel will NOT be required to carry cargo.
  • The official sea trials are tentatively scheduled for January 28, the day before our arrival in New Zealand.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, UWDawg said:

Create your own NON-MOTORIZED sea-going vessel. Let your imagination go wild! It could be Kon Tiki-style raft, a marauding Pirate ship, a majestic sailboat, or even a Viking longship!

Here are the guidelines:

• Collect your own materials, but remember - no ship property such as towels, trays, cutlery, china, linens, etc.
  • You'll score points for creativity, workmanship, use of recyclable materials and sea-worthiness.
  • Your vessel must be able to navigate the bumpy seas of the Deck 7 pool or Jacuzzi without capsizing.
  • The official sea trials are tentatively scheduled for January 28, the day before our arrival in New Zealand.

so looking forward to seeing all the sailing craft at tomorrow's big reveal!  Apparently one team was doing a trial run in the spa pool today but was trying to conceal their entry.  Can't wait to see them all!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UWDawg said:

Here are the guidelines:

Love this! Thank you!! 

Beautiful day in Waitangi New Zealand.  It was amazing to go from beautiful sunshine to nasty squaws and back to a glorious day…twice!  Had a great visit with a cruise chum that I haven’t seen since 2010, she toured us around and then came onboard for lunch…and just texted she is calling her TA tomorrow to look into taking a Viking Cruise! (Who do I contact for my commission???😂😂😂)

Missed surf and turf night though I hear it was great.  We had reservations for my much anticipated first time to have “Sweet and Salty” at the Chef’s Table.  Perhaps my expectations were set too high but it was just ok.  And unfortunately the scallops were overcooked so I doubt I will be running back for it. I guess my version of “sweet and salty” runs more to a French Fry dipped in a vanilla milk shake!😂

IMG_0503.jpeg

IMG_0510.jpeg

IMG_0505.jpeg

IMG_0508.jpeg

IMG_0511.jpeg

IMG_0512.jpeg

IMG_0513.jpeg

IMG_0515.jpeg

IMG_0571.jpeg

IMG_0572.jpeg

IMG_0573.jpeg

IMG_0574.jpeg

IMG_0575.jpeg

IMG_0576.jpeg

IMG_0570.jpeg

IMG_0569.jpeg

IMG_0568.jpeg

IMG_0577.jpeg

IMG_0561.jpeg

IMG_0552.jpeg

IMG_0548.jpeg

IMG_0567.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Phew, amazing what having real wifi is like. That last post has been uploading onboard for 18 hours.  Logged on at the pub where we are having lunch and it was done in under 20 seconds!

We arrived in Auckland this morning to beautiful weather-sunny, low humidity, low 70s (supposed to get to 80 by this afternoon).  We took the included bus tour this morning.  Driver had a very strong accent so difficult to understand but easy to see the beauty of this city.  First stop was at one of the points of the bay for photos.  There is a memorial gardens here that is also beautiful.

Then on to the Auckland Museum where we had 1.5 hours to tour.  The building was originally built as a war memorial but had been added into and includes War Memorial as well as Amazing Māori artifacts including an authentic war boat and an original sail on loan from the British Museum.  Carving was beautiful.  The boa lt is over 75 feet long all carved from a single log.  I was intrigued by the red sculpture above the information desk at the entry.  I asked about it and it is an abstract of a Polynesian symbol about birth and life. The guide who told me about it had me go stand where the photo is from to point out that the reflections were made to appear as flying birds. 

Then back to the ship and the beautiful Ferry Building.  Mike and I decided to not reboard and instead headed up Queen Street past Dior, Prada, Hermes and had a fish and chips lunch in a little pub just a block off the main drag.  

This afternoon we head to the “North Shore” on an optional excursion.  Unfortunately, we learned from our Kiwi friend Sandy that we could have done this independently on the local transit for $5 rather than whatever of our credits from Viking it cost us.   Oh well. 

IMG_0578.jpeg

IMG_0579.jpeg

IMG_0580.jpeg

IMG_0582.jpeg

IMG_0583.jpeg

IMG_0584.jpeg

IMG_0590.jpeg

IMG_0592.jpeg

IMG_0596.jpeg

IMG_0599.jpeg

IMG_0600.jpeg

IMG_0597.jpeg

IMG_0607.jpeg

IMG_0604.jpeg

IMG_0613.jpeg

IMG_0614.jpeg

IMG_0611.jpeg

IMG_0628.jpeg

IMG_0627.jpeg

IMG_0633.jpeg

IMG_0634.jpeg

IMG_0636.jpeg

IMG_0637.jpeg

IMG_0638.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Clay - thanks for the Sweet and Salty update!

Was at least the Tenderloin good?   Did you give them feedback about the salty scallops too well done?  Maybe they'll make some changes.

The tenderloin was delicious!  And yes I gave them feedback….

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

and just texted she is calling her TA tomorrow to look into taking a Viking Cruise! (Who do I contact for my commission???😂😂😂)

Clay if your friends tell Viking that she is being referred by you  and your cruise #number she get $100.00 OBC credit  and you get $100.00 creditor person  for future use . But they  have to ask the Viking agent about this. It is not automactic.

Love your pictures  and the  blue sky and temp in NZ.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Clay if your friends tell Viking that she is being referred by you  and your cruise #number she get $100.00 OBC credit  and you get $100.00 creditor person  for future use . But they  have to ask the Viking agent about this. It is not automactic.

Trust me, I loaded her with all the ammunition!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Trust me, I loaded her with all the ammunition!

16 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Beautiful day in Waitangi New Zealand.  It was amazing to go from beautiful sunshine to nasty squaws and back to a glorious day…twice!  Had a great visit with a cruise chum that I haven’t seen since 2010, she toured us around and then came onboard for lunch…and just texted she is calling her TA tomorrow to look into taking a Viking Cruise! (Who do I contact for my commission???😂😂😂)

Missed surf and turf night though I hear it was great.  We had reservations for my much anticipated first time to have “Sweet and Salty” at the Chef’s Table.  Perhaps my expectations were set too high but it was just ok.  And unfortunately the scallops were overcooked so I doubt I will be running back for it. I guess my version of “sweet and salty” runs more to a French Fry dipped in a vanilla milk shake!😂

IMG_0503.jpeg

IMG_0510.jpeg

IMG_0505.jpeg

IMG_0508.jpeg

IMG_0511.jpeg

IMG_0512.jpeg

IMG_0513.jpeg

IMG_0515.jpeg

IMG_0571.jpeg

IMG_0572.jpeg

IMG_0573.jpeg

IMG_0574.jpeg

IMG_0575.jpeg

IMG_0576.jpeg

IMG_0570.jpeg

IMG_0569.jpeg

IMG_0568.jpeg

IMG_0577.jpeg

IMG_0561.jpeg

IMG_0552.jpeg

IMG_0548.jpeg

IMG_0567.jpeg

Viking does have a referral program or at least did 2018 to 2023.in the US. If a person gives your name to Viking when booking then both you and that person get $100 off a cruise.  Tell her to book with Viking and then transfer to a TA.

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Viking does have a referral program or at least did 2018 to 2023.in the US. If a person gives your name to Viking when booking then both you and that person get $100 off a cruise.  Tell her to book with Viking and then transfer to a TA.

Yes I know.  Used a couple of referral commissions to fund this junket! 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Yes, how does that work? I didn’t know this was possible.

I saw some other visitors onboard in Honolulu so I asked the Guest Services Manager. She said no problem, get me pictures of their driver’s license or passport before we arrive and security will review and once approved they can board.  

Their names were on a list, came aboard, handed over their driver’s licenses in exchange for a visitor pass and enjoyed touring the ship. Upon leaving exchanged the badge for their id and got on the tender back to shore. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

We had a lovely (albeit long and tiring) excursion this afternoon in Auckland.  We road across the Harbour Bridge to the North Shore and stopped first at a beach that looked out away from the CBD towards the ocean. Then we drove through several neighborhoods of various styles of architecture including the original smaller homes called “villas”. It reminded us of old Key West and a little bit of New Orleans.  These neighbors typically were bordered by the ocean on one side and a huge lake on the other. The lake is the crater of the volcano than originally formed this land. We then were driven up Takarunga which is the youngest volcano and the highest peak for photos back towards downtown Auckland and the port.  Following that, we rode the commuter ferry (the North Shore is a huge bedroom community) back to downtown and the port where we reboardes @vikingcruises Sky.  A local Māori group performed for us before dinner and then we had a wonderful dinner on the back deck with the great guitarist/singer Mark serenading us. They had a mussel and shrimp station out back and even the Chefs seemed to be enjoying the change of pace-they even joined in as percussionist with their tongs and spatulas for the last number!  The weather was beautiful as was the scenery of the harbor with a number of sailboats out for a sunset (8:34pm) sail which makes sense as Auckland is known as the City of Sails.  

IMG_0654.jpeg

IMG_0663.jpeg

IMG_0668.jpeg

IMG_0671.jpeg

IMG_0672.jpeg

IMG_0674.jpeg

IMG_0682.jpeg

IMG_0687.jpeg

IMG_0694.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Enjoyed our last day in Auckland. Weather was beautiful though warm. We ubered to Parnell (we’re going to take the bus but cost was about the same as you have to buy a pass and load it with a minimum amount). This is NZ’s first suburb so lots of beautiful buildings including an amazing cathedral complex with architecture from at least four different periods. Then we went to the Sky Tower, not to go up but to have tacos at a place owned by a friend of our favorite waiter, Christian.  He promised they would be authentic and he was right. Then back to the ship for a swim. 

We also weighed in (can’t do it on sea days as scales won’t ever settle and while we like the low end we don’t like the high one!) and are happy to report we have both lost weight!  WhooHoo. I was worried I would have to cut back on lambchops and mango sorbet and alcohol and onion rings and …..

We had a beautiful last evening in Auckland aboard @vikingcruises Sky this evening. Went up to the Aquavit Terrace for cocktails and sushi and discovered the bay was full of sailboats heading our way. Apparently a regatta started about that time and ended just before we left at 8 pm.  So dinner was great with all the beautiful sails as entertainment. We also had the honor of having “Sparky” the first e-tug help us leave the pier. The most interesting tidbit is it only takes 2 hours to recharge and that charge is good for up to four ship maneuvers. We also learned this evening that rather than a full sea day tomorrow we will be docking in Tauranga about noon.  So we are hopeful we may be able to arrange a tour to Rotorua to a Māori village. 🤞 We also learned today when we saw some new folks aboard (they are easy to spot as most are younger than the rest of us) that Viking must’ve sold a segment from Auckland to Sydney to folks downunder since that was itinerary was never seen on the US websites.  Should be fun to have some new faces aboard!

IMG_0710.thumb.jpeg.617c08f356bb88e687e62042407764af.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1