When to buy Carnival's vacation protection insurance

Bollycats

I'm not 100% so don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure you can still buy it for a short period of time even after the final payment is due.

You definitely do NOT have to buy it at time of deposit, I am still able to buy it for my future sailings I have booked and put down a deposit on for already.

I know in the last week or two leading up to my most recent sailing that it was no longer an option to add, but prior to then it was. Even for a short time after final payment if memory serves correct.

You don’t have to buy it at the time of deposit, but you are right to be concerned about coverage for pre-existing conditions. Do read the fine print about how pre-existing conditions are defined and handled.

A friend and I had a claim denied by Princess insurance because she first consulted her doctor about the medical issue shortly before we made our final payment which included the insurance premium.   We had committed to the insurance when we booked, but to the insurance company, we didn’t have coverage until we paid the premium. By that time, she had what they determined to be a pre-existing condition.  We canceled when her condition unexpectedly worsened, and they denied the claim based on her pre-existing condition.  The denial was an unpleasant surprise, though we did get future cruise credits for a portion of the cancellation penalty.  I don’t know if Carnival’s policy has similar terms.  

I never take the cruise line insurance and usually check prices at Insuremytrip or Squaremouth as you can get much better coverage at good prices. However I just checked Tripinsurancestore and think I will get insurance from them for for the first time for our upcoming cruise.

• Like 9

"When to buy Carnival Vacation Protection insurance"

The answer is NEVER!

Why?

The medical coverage is secondary.

No pre-existing conditions coverage for the travelers or sometimes more importantly the non-traveling family members.

The medical limit is woefully low at $20K.

Coverage is for the time period of the cruise only. If you fly in a day or 2 early, or extend the vaca by a day or so, you're on your own.

The ONLY thing I can say positive about cruise line policy is that it includes Cancel For Any Reason and the price is not age dependent.

Personally, I use a broker who offers travel policies from 9 different companies. Cost the consumer nothing, they get paid commission by the insurance companies. My broker is https://tripinsurancestore.com     but there are others also like insuremytrip.com

• Like 5

I just purchased trip insurance for our cruise in April. $150 for the two of us. It covers the air portion of our trip and provides much better coverage than what Carnival offers. I can't remember what their plan costs for the trip, but I know that it is much more than $150. (And Cancel For Any Reason coverage does nothing for me. If I am cancelling then it is for a covered reason.)

6 hours ago, klfrodo said:

The answer is NEVER!

Why?

No pre-existing conditions coverage for the travelers or sometimes more importantly the non-traveling family members.

Coverage is for the time period of the cruise only. If you fly in a day or 2 early, or extend the vaca by a day or so, you're on your own.

The ONLY thing I can say positive about cruise line policy is that it includes Cancel For Any Reason and the price is not age dependent.

Personally, I use a broker who offers travel policies from 9 different companies. Cost the consumer nothing, they get paid commission by the insurance companies. My broker is https://tripinsurancestore.com     but there are others also like insuremytrip.com

The only part of your reply with which I'd quibble would be your implication that secondary coverage in necessarily inferior to primary. Depending upon one's circumstances, and the coverage of one's normal everyday health insurance coverage, sometimes seeking a travel insurance policy with secondary medical coverage is better. This is especially true if the cost of the medical emergency exceeds the dollar limits of the travel insurance policy. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, klfrodo said:

The answer is NEVER!

Why?

Sounds way more like an opinion to me.  There are plenty of times when cruise insurance (and I know the difference between it and online versions) is DEF the best option to take.

28 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I just purchased trip insurance for our cruise in April. $150 for the two of us. It covers the air portion of our trip and provides much better coverage than what Carnival offers. I can't remember what their plan costs for the trip, but I know that it is much more than $150. (And Cancel For Any Reason coverage does nothing for me. If I am cancelling then it is for a covered reason.)

Cancel for any reason is more of a feel good option in most cases, but not all.

You really should read the contract of the product you're buying rather than take stranger's word for it on the internet.

My understanding is the only provision of Carnival's vacation protection that igores pre-existing conditions is the CFAR provision, likely as it is underwritten by Carnival themselves and not the travel insurance underwriter.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

The only part of your reply with which I'd quibble would be your implication that secondary coverage in necessarily inferior to primary. Depending upon one's circumstances, and the coverage of one's normal everyday health insurance coverage, sometimes seeking a travel insurance policy with secondary medical coverage is better. This is especially true if the cost of the medical emergency exceeds the dollar limits of the travel insurance policy. 

Plus many other plans are also secondary.

36 minutes ago, mz-s said:

You really should read the contract of the product you're buying rather than take stranger's word for it on the internet.

My understanding is the only provision of Carnival's vacation protection that igores pre-existing conditions is the CFAR provision, likely as it is underwritten by Carnival themselves and not the travel insurance underwriter.

Read and fully understand the terms they are using. The way they define things may not be the way that we would define them.

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone. I do believe I need to buy now when deposit is made to cover pre-existing conditions. Just to be safe. It's not a lot of money I was just trying to avoid putting out more money now as this cruise might not happen due to family issues. I appreciate the information on the brokers and have checked their sites. Not sure which one I'll do yet but I have until tomorrow to decide.

I don't know if the Carnival insurance will  cover any pre-existing conditions.  You need to verify that.  Typically most third party coverages require you to purchase the insurance within 7 to 14 days in order to have pre-existing conditions covered.

1 hour ago, jb58 said:

I don't know if the Carnival insurance will  cover any pre-existing conditions.  You need to verify that.  Typically most third party coverages require you to purchase the insurance within 7 to 14 days in order to have pre-existing conditions covered.

14 days.

We buy an annual travel policy which includes cancellation. And strong medical coverage if you should be involved in an accident or become ill when you are more than 100 miles away from home.

My wife fell and broke her hip at home the day before a cruise. It took them 2 months and my supplying documentation but received complete cruise fare refund. Cruise line returned port taxes.

You want your coverage to include evacuation back home and also, repatriation of the deceased if that becomes necessary.

Don't laugh about the corpse in transit option. Not long ago a cruise passenger croaked on a cruise to the Caribbean. The family didn't have funds to fly the body back to the States so the cruise line graciously allowed them to return the body via the ships morgue. Except the refrigeration was down in the morgue so they stored the body bag in a drink cooler.  Oh my!

And the drink cooler wasn't cold enough so the body was decomposed like an over ripe banana when they got back to the States. 

If you make more than one cruise a year consider an annual policy. It will be cheaper than buying a policy for each cruise and offer more coverage.

Bon Voyage.

I'm the OP. I decided to go with an option from a travel broker recommended here. It's quite a bit cheaper than Carnival's and has higher coverages. No CFAR though. I've never needed it but THIS would be the time I would need it! Taking my chances and crossing my fingers......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bollycats said:

I'm the OP. I decided to go with an option from a travel broker recommended here. It's quite a bit cheaper than Carnival's and has higher coverages. No CFAR though. I've never needed it but THIS would be the time I would need it! Taking my chances and crossing my fingers......

Sounds like a solid plan.  This is always one purchase you hope you never need. 

2 hours ago, Bollycats said:

May I suggest that as you find some free time that you go back to that brokers site and read thru the FAQ section. You’ll be amazed at how much you can learn and better understand what IS covered, how to ensure you file a claim properly if necessary, and more importantly, what is NOT covered.

Please read the fine print and see exactly what is covered and how much.  We have never bought cruise line insurance.  We have bought Alliance on previous cruises.  We purchased a policy with Nation Wide for our upcoming cruise.  It might be a little bit more, but you give so much more extensive coverage.

I'm two days from final payment, so looking at insurance before payment.  Like many, I have to fly to get to my cruise port.  My cruise is in March and I live in Michigan, so weather is unpredictable.  Does anyone have a good recommendation for insurance that would cover the cost of my cruise if we miss it due to the flight being canceled or delayed?  I looked at insuremytrip, but I wasn't clear if they cover 100% of the cost of the cruise if I miss it due to flight issues.  Thanks!

58 minutes ago, sueandtimj said:

I'm two days from final payment, so looking at insurance before payment.  Like many, I have to fly to get to my cruise port.  My cruise is in March and I live in Michigan, so weather is unpredictable.  Does anyone have a good recommendation for insurance that would cover the cost of my cruise if we miss it due to the flight being canceled or delayed?  I looked at insuremytrip, but I wasn't clear if they cover 100% of the cost of the cruise if I miss it due to flight issues.  Thanks!

Get the Best Trip Insurance Details, Advice (tripinsurancestore.com)

But call them so they can help you find the policy that best meets your needs

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sueandtimj said:

If buying insurance from an outside source you don’t have to purchase insurance by final payment date unless you booked within the last 14 days.

6 hours ago, sueandtimj said:

You can call insuremytrip as well, but typically 100% of your non-refundable fare is covered (look at trip cancellation and it should give an amount per traveler which is half of what you put in for trip cost).