Nausea/motion sickness advice?

Numer3

17 hours ago, Gilgorm said:

My daughter suffers from extreme sea sickness. She tried all the traditional remedies previously suggested with no success.

I met a nurse who previously worked on a cruise ship and she told me the MD on the cruise ship recommended passengers take the over-the-counter antihistamine, Cetirizine 10mg. This is usually taken for allergies. The brand name in the U.S. is Zyrtec, in Canada it is Reactine.

My daughter would take it once a day at 4pm while on a cruise. The effects were amazing. She had no drowsiness and more importantly no further nausea or vomiting. She was able to enjoy her dinners at the main dining room and the ship's evening activities.

This may not work for you but it worked for her. I tried it on my Alaska cruise and it worked for me too.

She already has it purchased for her next cruise in February.

You do not have to buy "brand names" store brands work just as well...as long as it has 10 mg cetirizine. and store brands are less expensive.

Walmart brand is equate..

11 minutes ago, Scoobydobe7 said:

You do not have to buy "brand names" store brands work just as well...as long as it has 10 mg cetirizine. and store brands are less expensive.

Walmart brand is equate..

I don't think they were saying you had to buy the name brand, I think they were giving an example of what the medication "compares to" in the different countries.  

Even the Walmart store-brand says "compare to Zyrtec Active Ingredient" right on the front of the box.

Equate-24-Hour-Allergy-Cetirizine-Hydrochloride-Tablets-10-mg-90-Count_c7241f52-3cb4-4d36-b642-0d8cbf61e614.86dfde101bbe8ebd57f521abac21bee5.webp

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

I don't think they were saying you had to buy the name brand, I think they were giving an example of what the medication "compares to" in the different countries.  

Even the Walmart store-brand says "compare to Zyrtec Active Ingredient" right on the front of the box.

Equate-24-Hour-Allergy-Cetirizine-Hydrochloride-Tablets-10-mg-90-Count_c7241f52-3cb4-4d36-b642-0d8cbf61e614.86dfde101bbe8ebd57f521abac21bee5.webp

I never stated that OP was implying you had to buy brands names, I was stating that there was alternatives at a less expensive price..all it needs is 10mg cetirizine..

• Like 1

I've posted before that I used to get terrible motion sickness, but now always go with natural "MotionEaze". (When you get that sick and find something that really works for you, you have to sing it's praises 🎶).

It's used on the fishing charters down here, so tourists don't "feed the fish" 🤢 

I buy mine from Amazon, but have seen in Walmart and West Marine stores too. I've also seen it in the gift shops on various cruises BUT it's very expensive onboard. Kind of like Pringles LOL.

image.png.c8c0f8041770dd4b95e00365568d69b4.png

A drop behind each ear and you're good to go, and since it works in 5 minutes, you can wait until you are sure you're going to need something so you're not dosing unnecessarily. It's OK for kids too. And I've also had good results with it from vertigo, including the after the cruise feeling like you're still on the ship (mal de debarquement syndrome).

https://motioneaze.com/

Edited by SeaHunt
added link
  • Like 2

On 12/21/2023 at 8:21 AM, Numer3 said:

What have you found works for you while cruising? I know people really like the patch. I don’t. I have used the pressure point stretchy bracelets. They are easy and I think helps somewhat.

Bonine non drowsy…even 1/4th of a tablet knocks me out if I take it during the day. But on past cruises I’ve taken that amount each night. 

Just looking to hear others experiences…our cruise is Sunday out of Galveston on Harmony. 

Thanks!

I use generic meclizine, non drowsy.  I take 1/2 tablet when I fly the day before (helps with air sickness, too), then 1/2 tab at bedtime, then another 1/2 tab sometime the first day of the cruise.  This puts 1.5 doses into my system before the ship starts getting any motion.  Also, 1/2 tab of the non-drowsy doesn't make me sleepy.

I've known people that do this a week in advance of a cruise. Once the medication is in your system in PREVENTATIVE doses, you should be OK.  It's when you take the med REACTIVELY that it's already too late.

I also get the dissolving meclizine, so it dissolves before you even swallow it. 

Thanks for ALL the wonderful tips! I should have taken my Bonine last night as we board Harmony tomorrow! I’ve been so busy packing & getting ready it slipped my mind. The Zyrtec/Cetirizine suggestion is interesting, too. I did see someone post that on a recent cruise the ship ran out of the “free” motion sickness meds usually available. Glad I bought my own. I also have Zofran…which hopefully I won’t need but glad I have. 

4 hours ago, pcur said:

I use generic meclizine, non drowsy.  I take 1/2 tablet when I fly the day before (helps with air sickness, too), then 1/2 tab at bedtime, then another 1/2 tab sometime the first day of the cruise.  This puts 1.5 doses into my system before the ship starts getting any motion.  Also, 1/2 tab of the non-drowsy doesn't make me sleepy.

I've known people that do this a week in advance of a cruise. Once the medication is in your system in PREVENTATIVE doses, you should be OK.  It's when you take the med REACTIVELY that it's already too late.

I also get the dissolving meclizine, so it dissolves before you even swallow it. 

My generic is chewable.  I guess I'm lucky that I can take 1-2 per day (2 only when necessary) and it doesn't make me drowsy.  I do try to take my once a day at night before bed.  I start taking it the morning of.  I used to start the night before, but I found starting day of works for me.   And, as I said above in a previous post, it's not for after you feel sick.

On 12/21/2023 at 2:48 PM, smokeybandit said:

Cruise more.

The more you cruise, the more your body gets used to it for the typical cruise rocking.

Tell that to my DH who is a retired USN Captain.  He doesn't normally get seasick, but returning from a 7 month deployment years ago that they spent 90% of their time at sea, he got sick one day.  Everyone has their motion, regardless of how much they cruise.  

On 12/21/2023 at 7:46 PM, Gilgorm said:

I met a nurse who previously worked on a cruise ship and she told me the MD on the cruise ship recommended passengers take the over-the-counter antihistamine, Cetirizine 10mg. This is usually taken for allergies. The brand name in the U.S. is Zyrtec, in Canada it is Reactine.

Interesting, my most motion-sick child takes Zyrtec daily to control allergies.  He made it midway through out last cruise before feeling ill. I wonder if the Zyrtec was helping before the seas got a bit rougher.

On 12/23/2023 at 4:41 AM, BND said:

And, as I said above in a previous post, it's not for after you feel sick.

Meclizine works better before you feel motion sickness, but it can help after you already feel sick too.

As I noted above, my child who was on Zyrtec may have done better because of that, but when he felt sick halfway through our cruise, I had him take meclizine and he was fine within an hour.

On 12/21/2023 at 9:37 AM, madiaka said:

I've also used Dramamine Less Drowsy.  

As a note, Dramamine Less Drowsy is the exact same medicine as Bonine, which Numer3 already said makes them too drowsy.

1 hour ago, gluecksbaer said:

Meclizine works better before you feel motion sickness, but it can help after you already feel sick too.

As I noted above, my child who was on Zyrtec may have done better because of that, but when he felt sick halfway through our cruise, I had him take meclizine and he was fine within an hour.

Meclizine is a preventative, not a treatment for someone who is already sea sick.  The fact he had zyrtec already in his system is what helped.  I take one meclizine per day but if seas get rough, I take a second as that enhances the original dose which is what happened with your son.  I don't want people thinking they can wait until they feel sick to start taking something.  Meclizine when taken correctly and as recommended is before you travel.

13 hours ago, BND said:

Meclizine is a preventative, not a treatment for someone who is already sea sick.  The fact he had zyrtec already in his system is what helped.  I take one meclizine per day but if seas get rough, I take a second as that enhances the original dose which is what happened with your son.  I don't want people thinking they can wait until they feel sick to start taking something.  Meclizine when taken correctly and as recommended is before you travel.

Why would cruise lines regularly hand out meclizine if it doesn't help at all once people feel sea sick?  Most people don't go down to medical looking for sea sicknesses remedies before they feel sick.

Also, between you and my kids' pediatrician, I'll trust the doctor.  She was there for the discussion I had with my son that taking the meclizine she recommended before we got on the ship was better, but if he wanted to he could only take them if he felt sick, but he would probably still feel sick for several hours before the medicine took effect.  She actually recommended he take the first one before bed the first night (after we were at sea and he would potentially already feel the affects of motion sickness) so he could sleep off any potential drowsiness, but agreed that he could see how he did without if he wanted to try that.

If you can point to a study showing meclizine only works as a preventative, I'd love to see your evidence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, gluecksbaer said:

Why would cruise lines regularly hand out meclizine if it doesn't help at all once people feel sea sick?  Most people don't go down to medical looking for sea sicknesses remedies before they feel sick.

Also, between you and my kids' pediatrician, I'll trust the doctor.  She was there for the discussion I had with my son that taking the meclizine she recommended before we got on the ship was better, but if he wanted to he could only take them if he felt sick, but he would probably still feel sick for several hours before the medicine took effect.  She actually recommended he take the first one before bed the first night (after we were at sea and he would potentially already feel the affects of motion sickness) so he could sleep off any potential drowsiness, but agreed that he could see how he did without if he wanted to try that.

If you can point to a study showing meclizine only works as a preventative, I'd love to see your evidence.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/meclizine-oral-route/proper-use/drg-20075849#:~:text=For oral dosage form (tablets,every 24 hours while traveling.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/drugs/19358-meclizine-tablets-or-capsules

This is not my opinion, but not sure why you are so bothered by the actual medical advice.  BTW, where exactly did your childs pediatrician come into this?  Just google meclizine and you'll  see what I posted is what is the actual medical advice.

Edited by BND

On 12/21/2023 at 6:21 AM, Numer3 said:

What have you found works for you while cruising? I know people really like the patch. I don’t. I have used the pressure point stretchy bracelets. They are easy and I think helps somewhat.

Bonine non drowsy…even 1/4th of a tablet knocks me out if I take it during the day. But on past cruises I’ve taken that amount each night. 

Just looking to hear others experiences…our cruise is Sunday out of Galveston on Harmony. 

Thanks!

Prescription patch. 

• Like 1

Just now, BirdTravels said:

Prescription patch. 

What's interesting is it's a prescription in the US, but in Canada it's OTC.  I've used the patch when I've had surgery, but instead of removing it after 48 hours, I do around 24.  I look in the mirror and my pupils are really large.  We have cruised with people who removed them because their vision is blurry.  Not everyone can use them. If they work for someone, that's great, but they don't for everyone.

43 minutes ago, BND said:

This is not my opinion, but not sure why you are so bothered by the actual medical advice.  BTW, where exactly did your childs pediatrician come into this?  Just google meclizine and you'll  see what I posted is what is the actual medical advice.

Because the actual medical advice is that it works best as a preventative which is contrary to your claim that it works only as a preventative.  

I don't see anywhere on either page that you link that it states that it will have no effect if taken after symptoms start, works only as a preventative, etc.  I googled meclizine and looked extensively and I can't find a single study that mentioned giving the dose after symptoms start or a single page that stated it works only if taken before symptoms begin.  (Although I did find a study that showed cetirizine had no effect on motion sickness.)  The closest I can find is that cleveland clinc page saying it prevents motion sickness and prevents and treats vertigo.  One could infer that the lack of use of "treat" for motion sickness means they don't think it does, but more pages (such as the Mayo Clinic that you also linked) use "prevent and treat" or "prevent and control" for motion sickness.  Plus, the Cleveland Clinic page states "Tell your doctor or healthcare professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse."  Why would they say to tell your doctor if your symptoms don't improve if they are known not to improve when taking this medication?  Again, if you can find something statin that meclizine only prevents, but does not treat, motion sickness, please share.

• Like 1

I have my doctor prescribe Phenergan for nausea.  I rarely get seasick, but when I do, it is not pretty.  The drugs used for preventing motion sickness affect my vision and make me drowsy (no matter what the label says).  It also doesn't make sense to me to take meds that will probably not be needed.  The Phenergan works in about 15 minutes for me.  My seasickness doesn't last for long.  Once I get my sea legs, the motion doesn't bother me anymore.  It might be an option for some.   

18 hours ago, BND said:

What's interesting is it's a prescription in the US, but in Canada it's OTC.  I've used the patch when I've had surgery, but instead of removing it after 48 hours, I do around 24.  I look in the mirror and my pupils are really large.  We have cruised with people who removed them because their vision is blurry.  Not everyone can use them. If they work for someone, that's great, but they don't for everyone.

When my doctor prescribed scopolamine for my first cruise, she included an extra patch.  She suggested I try it that weekend so I would know how it would affect me and if we needed to try something different for the cruise.  I always suggest people who haven't taken scopolamine request the same from their doctor (or apparently just buy an  extra in Canada).

14 hours ago, qkd0314 said:

My husband gets motion sickness and on cruises he always has some sort of ginger remedy on hand, as well as green apples, which you can get in the WJ and take some back to your room

I haven't heard of the green apple remedy. I may give that a try.

On 12/21/2023 at 11:21 AM, Numer3 said:

Thanks!

Hi OP,

Just wondering what you ended up using on your cruise and how effective it was.

D.

Gilgorm, you asked what I ended up using. We just returned yesterday from the cruise. We really didn’t have any of the rough seas that previous cruisers in December had experienced.

Six of the seven nights I did take a fourth of a Bonine at bedtime. I never had any issues. And maybe I wouldn’t have even if I didn’t take it. I was going to stop taking it after the third night, but then the fourth night I decided to have an Irish coffee at dinner and I figured that fourth of a Bonine would help me sleep and counteract the caffeine. I ended up having an Irish coffee each night for the rest of the cruise and the quarter of one Bonine. It was a great option for me. I don’t take sleeping pills… I wonder how Bonine compares to sleeping pills, as far as whatever it is in sleeping pill that isn’t supposed to be good for you. I wouldn’t make a habit of it, but on the rare occasion that I need a little more energy at night, I like that it’s an option… after the coffee.

In my party of 28, nobody complained of motion sickness on this cruise. A couple people did wear a patch, though. 

• Like 1