Carnival Corp record revenue and 4th quarter earnings

jimbo5544

1 minute ago, ray98 said:

Protecting the cruise lines have certainly made some members on here bitter.  You would think you are insulting their mother if you critique their 'baby'.

Funny, I thought the same thing of the crew that bashes.  They simply cannot stand a positive thread.  This is one that should bring happiness to all that sail on Carnival.  Just mho tho, yours may vary.   For the record what does the post I am replying to have to do with the thread   Rhetorical question.  

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

I would agree that consumers speak with their wallets.  The rest, not so much.  Based on sales and bookings, the vast majority of cruisers think they are doing the right thing.  

That poster seems to be all over bashing cruises and telling you HIS theory of a land vacation is best for you. Hes also posting on rcl threads the same stuff, not just bashing carnival. I dont follow other boards. We are ignoring him. Each to their own. 

• Like 3

On 12/23/2023 at 8:50 AM, jimbo5544 said:

Extremely, despite what the bashers love to preach on, it shows the strength of the product.  Even more meaningful, it dramatically shows that you do not need to be monstrosity of the seas to attract clients.

I actively avoid Monstrosity of the Seas type ships. Breeze is about as big as I like. I haven’t even tried Vista (though I would) or Mardi Gras etc.(which I might.) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, momof3cruisers said:

I actively avoid Monstrosity of the Seas type ships. Breeze is about as big as I like. I haven’t even tried Vista (though I would) or Mardi Gras etc.(which I might.) 

I googled it and mardi gras and oasis both hold roughly the same number of pax. Here is a comparison of the 2. The link has more comparisons than just number of pax... 

Carnival Mardi Gras holds about the same number of passengers as the Oasis of the Seas based on double occupancy (two people per room).

https://cruisespotlight.com/compare/carnival-mardi-gras-vs-royal-caribbean-oasis-of-the-seas/

20231229_193319790.jpeg

25 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I googled it and mardi gras and oasis both hold roughly the same number of pax. Here is a comparison of the 2. The link has more comparisons than just number of pax... 

Carnival Mardi Gras holds about the same number of passengers as the Oasis of the Seas based on double occupancy (two people per room).

https://cruisespotlight.com/compare/carnival-mardi-gras-vs-royal-caribbean-oasis-of-the-seas/

20231229_193319790.jpeg

And Oasis is a much larger vessel - which means much more space per passenger. Once a hallmark of Carnival ships (bigger rooms and more space per passenger) - Carnival gave that advantage to their biggest competitor.

Retired CFO/CPA here.  I am a little late to the party but let me clear up a few things.

Paying off debt does not reduce profit.  It reduces both debt and cash, which are balance sheet items, not profit and loss items.  What it does do is increase net profit going forward, because you are lowering future interest costs.  In a time when interest rates are relatively high, that is a good thing.

Also, in the short to medium-term, cash flow is more important than net profit.  It means that the company can pay its bills, which is key to the viability of the company.  A company can have a huge paper profit, but if it doesn't have enough cash to meet its obligations when they come due, they are going to struggle.

Also, if you have so much money tied up in Carnival stock that you spend time worrying about its price and/or dividend, your investments probably aren't properly diversified. 

Edited by staceyglow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, mz-s said:

And Oasis is a much larger vessel - which means much more space per passenger. Once a hallmark of Carnival ships (bigger rooms and more space per passenger) - Carnival gave that advantage to their biggest competitor.

Within 20% the same size if you read it. Ok. I dont get the carnival bashers or the other way. The I'll do mardi gras but not oasis. I say the same when someone from royal bashes carnival. 

As far as carnival having more space per pax than royal .. how long ago was that? I dont remember that within the last 20 years really. Miracle class has the most space per pax of carnival vessels. As long as I can remember carnival had less space per pax. Miracle class was the best as far as space. I go back close to 20 years with both. I used to cruise carnival more than royal until covid, had more carnival points. .. and I never understood the bashing. Mardi gras is a big ship. If you will do mardi gras and not oasis ... ok. I'd do either. But I've also done vista before and after covid. If it's too big ok. My gripe is the space they cut down on vista in the theater and closed in deck 5 etc. Not my favorite. But I'm less picky than you about ships. 

I do agree with you about cabin size. Carnival made lower category cabins bigger than royal. Insides, ovs .. royal gave the space to suites. Dream coming up I have a larger cabin. 

Edited by firefly333

5 hours ago, staceyglow said:

Also, if you have so much money tied up in Carnival stock that you spend time worrying about its price and/or dividend, your investments probably aren't properly diversified. 

I don't see any posts of people worrying about the stock lately, maybe right after covid. I personally follow stocks daily. Rcl has been to the moon and I've been in and out quite a few times. Hit yet another high thursday, squeaked it out but a new high. 129 .. ccl clearly is lagging in the eyes of investors for the cruise group. Since this is a carnival and cruise board we talk about ccl. How would you have any idea how diversified anyone posting on here is? Lmao. 

Btw I personally feel ccl will keep coming back. The travel sector is strong. Someone on CNBC today also said travel though his pick was EXPE. People are spending on experiences. Travel being one. Travel is a hot sector right now. I predict ccl will do well in 2024. I'm bullish.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Within 20% the same size if you read it. Ok. I dont get the carnival bashers or the other way. The I'll do mardi gras but not oasis. I say the same when someone from royal bashes carnival. 

As far as carnival having more space per pax than royal .. how long ago was that? I dont remember that within the last 20 years really. Miracle class has the most space per pax of carnival vessels. As long as I can remember carnival had less space per pax. Miracle class was the best as far as space. I go back close to 20 years with both. I used to cruise carnival more than royal until covid, had more carnival points. .. and I never understood the bashing. Mardi gras is a big ship. If you will do mardi gras and not oasis ... ok. I'd do either. But I've also done vista before and after covid. If it's too big ok. My gripe is the space they cut down on vista in the theater and closed in deck 5 etc. Not my favorite. But I'm less picky than you about ships. 

I do agree with you about cabin size. Carnival made lower category cabins bigger than royal. Insides, ovs .. royal gave the space to suites. Dream coming up I have a larger cabin. 

I never bought in to the the “common space on a cruise ship” is a significant add.

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I never bought in to the the “common space on a cruise ship” is a significant add.

Me either. The person I replied to said overall size is all that matters to her even if they hold the same number of pax. I'll cruise on almost any ship if the price is right. Maybe not grandeur. Didnt like that ship much.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 12/29/2023 at 7:37 PM, firefly333 said:

20231229_193319790.jpeg

That is very helpful. Thanks. 

Edited by momof3cruisers

On 12/23/2023 at 10:25 AM, mz-s said:

Did I read it correctly that even with record revenues, Carnival still reported a loss?

They predicted they'd be profitable almost 2 years ago now...still losing money. At what point do we call Carnival a zombie company?

Oldest business line to his banker in the book "We lost money last quarter, but more people are doing business with us"

On 12/30/2023 at 7:38 AM, jimbo5544 said:

Any naval architect could tell you of the significance.

The whole space thing is often a topic for busybodies to find things to be upset with. If one ship has "20% more common area space," what does that truly mean? Your vacation is 20% better? Every venue is 20% bigger? There are more venues you will never use? 

Sure it can be an indicator of what is to come. However, what is most important is size of the venue, proportional to the size of ship and capacity. I always disliked the small clubs and shows that require a half hour wait to get a seat. Those are poorly designed. Otherwise, I could care less about math equations.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 8:17 AM, Joebucks said:

The whole space thing is often a topic for busybodies to find things to be upset with. If one ship has "20% more common area space," what does that truly mean? Your vacation is 20% better? Every venue is 20% bigger? There are more venues you will never use? 

Sure it can be an indicator of what is to come. However, what is most important is size of the venue, proportional to the size of ship and capacity. I always disliked the small clubs and shows that require a half hour wait to get a seat. Those are poorly designed. Otherwise, I could care less about math equations.

People will find the smallest nuance and complain about it, in my opinion. Just like the Q4 revenue. Someone will pick it apart and find the negative. At the end of the day, no other industry had their business shut down for 14 months with little to zero revenue coming in. Give them some time. They clearly are on the right path. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

People will find the smallest nuance and complain about it, in my opinion. Just like the Q4 revenue. Someone will pick it apart and find the negative. At the end of the day, no other industry had their business shut down for 14 months with little to zero revenue coming in. Give them some time. They clearly are on the right path. 

Well said.