Air to Trieste or Venice

footeam

17 minutes ago, footeam said:

I am planning a cruise on Vista for next June. Does anyone know if using the Oceania air if they fly you to Venice and transport from there, or if the flights are direct into Trieste? Contemplating doing my own air. Thanks.

If O books your air to Venice, they will provide transportation to Trieste, either from the airport, or one of their hotels.

42 minutes ago, footeam said:

I am planning a cruise on Vista for next June. ... Contemplating doing my own air.

Wife and I did Riviera B2B Trieste to Athens and Athens to Barcelona, 10/30-11/19, 2023. It was originally supposed to start in Venice. We did our own air. We flew into Marco Polo Intl. near Venice, took the public bus to Venice, and then a vaporetto (water bus) to our BnB. Used the Venice Pass. We spent 3 nights in Venice before the cruise. Then paid E15.50 each (total E31.00) to take the train to Trieste. Easy peasy. Then took cab at the train station to the cruise terminal, which isn't too far away.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, footeam said:

I am planning a cruise on Vista for next June. Does anyone know if using the Oceania air if they fly you to Venice and transport from there, or if the flights are direct into Trieste? Contemplating doing my own air. Thanks.

There are multiple factors that should be considered before deciding to do your airfare vs. paying the cruise line, but my personal bias is to just book your own to Marco Polo (VCE) and spend a night in Venice, then take public transport/taxi to Trieste.  Or, if you don’t need to do anything in Venice, I would perhaps fly into Trieste on your own.  I’m partly suggesting this because if you let the cruise line book your flights, they may fly you to Venice or Trieste and you probably have no control over how, and for the matter, when, you will arrive there, unless you pay them more for “deviation.”

Edited by Psoque

There are very few flights to/from Trieste; it is a small airport.  You will almost certainly use the VCE airport.  If using O, there will be bus transport to Trieste.  As others have said, there are other options for getting from Venice to Trieste also.

The last port of my October 2025 cruise on Oceania Vista is Trieste.  It actually says, "Venice (Trieste), Italy".  When I booked the cruise, I immediately checked the distance between Trieste and Venice.  It 99 miles, One Hour and 38 minutes with light traffic driving.  This was followed by how to get from Trieste to Venice.  Several options available with the only issue being the number of pieces of luggage my group will have.  I then looked at the flight situation which in my case since I am booking direct with Delta Airlines, can't be actually done until 330 days before the return flight.  Just Delta's rules.

It became clear, the flight would have to be into the Marco Polo Venice Airport (VCE). Since when we go to Europe, we usually spend a night or two in a nice hotel before and after the cruise.  The question which is still not answered yet is, do we visit Venice, Trieste or both.  I am working on that.  All odds are that you will be using the VCE airport in Venice. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

5 hours ago, footeam said:

If you browse the flight info in this forum you will see that most posters advise against booking directly with O. The exception may be when you need to fly one way to/from Europe from/to North America, or if airfares go up significantly between cruise booking and air booking. The main detractor for me is no control over routing, but there are other detractors that weigh in; I'm willing to pay for flexibility, comfort, lower stress, etc. though.

You can go ahead and have O-provided air as part of your reservation, and if you decide to drop it before the deadline, your TA can remove it and you will get a credit for the air-portion (lowering your balance due at final payment).

Hopefully someone who's used O air for Trieste (Venice) will chime in soon! Trieste is smaller but has plenty of service to (some) European gateways - most itineraries to the US will be 2-stops but there are 1-stop options. Looking at a random date (15 Jul 2024) to New York area airports, Venice has nonstop options and way more non- and 1-stop choices than the total of 1- or 2-stop options from Trieste. If you need a specific routing then DIY or deviation is the way to go imo.

If you DIY air, here's another vote for allowing plenty of time no matter the port - we were disembarking Insignia a week ago (Sunday Dec 17) and weather meant every ship at Miami was late. All 8 or 9 of them (!)

Folks started getting off Insignia at 2pm ish and we were some of the last ones off, a little after 3pm. That's about 6 hours later than normal! Anyone who didn't have a same-day flight (including us) felt way less stressed than those that did. From what we heard & saw, O did a good job rescheduling all the included air folks. People with air through online travel agencies (Expedia and so on) were the most stressed. Disclosure: in 12 cruises we've only used O air on 3 total chances out of 24 so far...

My husband and I sailed out of Trieste on October 30th this year, booked our own air from LAX to VCE via Frankfurt and opted to spent two pre-cruise nights at the Savoia Excelsior Hotel in Trieste.  The hotel helped us book a private Mercedes transfer from VCE to the hotel for a whopping 330 Euros, but we felt it was worth it.  After a long connecting flight from the West Coast, it felt great to have a driver take our luggage and whisk us to the hotel.  Last half of the 90 minute drive was very scenic, and we enjoyed our two days in Trieste.  We have stayed in Venice several times so didn't feel cheated about missing it.  We are not scared of trains in Europe, they are efficient and cheap, just  too much to tackle after a very long day.  An alternative might be to get a good night's sleep near to VCE, then tackle the train to Trieste the next morning.  We seldom use O's air because of the additional fee to fly in a day or two early.  One of my pet peeves as the chance of missing the ship because of an air delay is pretty significant.

16 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

It became clear, the flight would have to be into the Marco Polo Venice Airport (VCE).

Not really.

You can fly into the Trieste airport (TRS) on ITA from Rome, on Air Dolomiti from Frankfurt (a Lufthansa company regional airline) or a number of European airports on Ryanair.  (Though using Ryanair would require separate tickets from the USA to Europe).

If you want to earn SkyPesos, you could easily fly Delta or ITA to Rome and get a connection to TRS.  For those in Star, United or Lufthansa to FRA, then on to TRS.

Just a matter of whether you want to go to Venice first or just get towards the ship.

Last year I did a cruise from Trieste.  Flew into VCE (from the USA) took a cab to the train station, then train to Trieste, then cab to hotel.  2 nights in hotel in Trieste prior to cruise.

Lessons learned:  

1. way too long a travel day/night/day - either fly into TRS or spend a night in Venice to recover, then travel to Trieste a day (or more) later

2.  Trieste is a lovely city - definitely worth a visit for a day or 2

3. You can also take a bus, directly from VCE airport to Trieste - inexpensive and relatively convenient

4. as above, you can arrange for private transfer from VCE to trieste but it is $$$

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Not really.

You can fly into the Trieste airport (TRS) on ITA from Rome, on Air Dolomiti from Frankfurt (a Lufthansa company regional airline) or a number of European airports on Ryanair.  (Though using Ryanair would require separate tickets from the USA to Europe).

If you want to earn SkyPesos, you could easily fly Delta or ITA to Rome and get a connection to TRS.  For those in Star, United or Lufthansa to FRA, then on to TRS.

Just a matter of whether you want to go to Venice first or just get towards the ship.

I’m assuming (maybe incorrectly) that SG was looking at (mostly?) Delta flights from BHM and maybe ATL.  If that’s the case, you can get to VCE with just one connection from BHM and to TRS with two connections from BHM.  From ATL, there is a nonstop flight to VCE and one-connection itinerary to TRS.  (I’m sure you know this…not trying to tell you what you know).  Or maybe SG wants just just fly Delta, then you would need to fly ATL-VCE??

I’m also assuming that SG is trying to minimize connections, which I also try to do when I am catching a cruise.  Based on that, flying to VCE, either from ATL (nonstop) or BHM (just one connection) would be preferable to him, maybe??

On 12/26/2023 at 2:21 PM, Sthrngary said:

The last port of my October 2025 cruise on Oceania Vista is Trieste.  It actually says, "Venice (Trieste), Italy".  When I booked the cruise, I immediately checked the distance between Trieste and Venice.  It 99 miles, One Hour and 38 minutes with light traffic driving.  This was followed by how to get from Trieste to Venice.  Several options available with the only issue being the number of pieces of luggage my group will have.  I then looked at the flight situation which in my case since I am booking direct with Delta Airlines, can't be actually done until 330 days before the return flight.  Just Delta's rules.

It became clear, the flight would have to be into the Marco Polo Venice Airport (VCE). Since when we go to Europe, we usually spend a night or two in a nice hotel before and after the cruise.  The question which is still not answered yet is, do we visit Venice, Trieste or both.  I am working on that.  All odds are that you will be using the VCE airport in Venice. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Venice was a magical place for us on our visit last April. Unique place worth visiting for at least a couple of days. Not a place to go if you are on a budget though. 

Trieste is a very nice place but does not have the charm of Venice. Also cheaper and MUCH less tourists congestion. 

If you have never been to Venice, then in my opinion, no contest. That is one place every one needs to visit once. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mexicobob said:

Venice was a magical place for us on our visit last April. Unique place worth visiting for at least a couple of days. ... Trieste is a very nice place but does not have the charm of Venice. Also cheaper and MUCH less tourists congestion. If you have never been to Venice, then in my opinion, no contest.

Yes, we spent 3 magical nights in Venice in October 2023 before taking the train to Trieste to then spend the afternoon in Trieste before Riviera departed on 10/30. While we enjoyed walking around Trieste and taking in some sights (including their small Roman ruins), it doesn't compare in the least bit. Has that Astro-Hungarian feeling, since Italy only gets it late, after WW I, and its history is quite convoluted in the 1940s and 1950s.

["The municipal autonomy was not restored after the return of the city to the Austrian Empire in 1813. Following the Napoleonic Wars, Trieste continued to prosper as the Free Imperial City of Trieste, a status that granted economic freedom, but limited its political self-government. The city's role as Austria's main trading port and shipbuilding centre...."

Looking for private guides in theses cities..I lost so many due to covid..any help would be appreciated

Thanks Jancruz1

May 29 Wed Venice (Trieste), Italy Embark 1 PM 5 PM
May 30 Thu Zadar, Croatia 7 AM 4 PM
May 31 Fri Dubrovnik, Croatia 8 AM 6 PM
Jun 1 Sat Kotor, Montenegro 7 AM 4 PM
Jun 2 Sun Corfu, Greece 7 AM 4 PM
Jun 3 Mon Katakolon, Greece 7 AM 3 PM
Jun 4 Tue Valletta, Malta 11 AM 8 PM
Jun 5 Wed Taormina (Sicily), Italy  8 AM 6 PM
Jun 6 Thu Naples/Pompeii, Italy 8 AM 6 PM
Jun 7 Fri Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 7 AM 8 PM
Jun 8 Sat Florence/Pisa/Tuscany (Livorno), Italy 8 AM 8 PM
Jun 9 Sun Saint-Tropez, France  7 AM 4 PM
Jun 10 Mon Barcelona, Spain Disembark 8 AM
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, boerneDQ said:

Jan, we used RomeInLimo on our last stop in Rome (pre Covid).  
we also used Spain Day Tours in Spain a few times and were very happy with them.

Charlotte

Thanks so much.I totally forgot Limo in Rome Claudio and never used Spain day tours but will contact them..

If anyone else has guides I would appreciate the names..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

17 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Thanks so much.I totally forgot Limo in Rome Claudio and never used Spain day tours but will contact them..

If anyone else has guides I would appreciate the names..

Jancruz1

While I've not used any of the following guides yet, I've booked with all of them for 11/24. They are all highly rated and recommended...

Dubrovnik - toursbylocals.com/Marijana S. 

Valletta - maltatours.com/Chris - he and his wife, Joan, maltatourguide.com, operate separately. She's very popular (and well known to others on CC). She was fully booked for our date, so I booked with Chris.

Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, jazznruby said:

While I've not used any of the following guides yet, I've booked with all of them for 11/24. They are all highly rated and recommended...

Dubrovnik - toursbylocals.com/Marijana S. 

Valletta - maltatours.com/Chris - he and his wife, Joan, maltatourguide.com, operate separately. She's very popular (and well known to others on CC). She was fully booked for our date, so I booked with Chris.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much it helps a lot!!

Jancruz1

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 5:34 PM, Jancruz said:

Looking for private guides in theses cities..I lost so many due to covid..any help would be appreciated

Thanks Jancruz1

May 29 Wed Venice (Trieste), Italy Embark 1 PM 5 PM
May 30 Thu Zadar, Croatia 7 AM 4 PM
May 31 Fri Dubrovnik, Croatia 8 AM 6 PM
Jun 1 Sat Kotor, Montenegro 7 AM 4 PM
Jun 2 Sun Corfu, Greece 7 AM 4 PM
Jun 3 Mon Katakolon, Greece 7 AM 3 PM
Jun 4 Tue Valletta, Malta 11 AM 8 PM
Jun 5 Wed Taormina (Sicily), Italy  8 AM 6 PM
Jun 6 Thu Naples/Pompeii, Italy 8 AM 6 PM
Jun 7 Fri Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 7 AM 8 PM
Jun 8 Sat Florence/Pisa/Tuscany (Livorno), Italy 8 AM 8 PM
Jun 9 Sun Saint-Tropez, France  7 AM 4 PM
Jun 10 Mon Barcelona, Spain Disembark 8 AM

In Pompeii, we used Gaetano Manfredi, he was absolutely fantastic

1 minute ago, Mkdvmz said:

Pompeiitourguide.com

Expensive, but so worth it. He arranges transportation from the ship to Pompeii and meets you at Pompeii.