New York port

vino100

1 hour ago, vino100 said:

We will be on the September serenity cruise ending in New York. I’m looking at air options and was wondering where the Serenity will dock. 

The cruise ship schedule I can see has Serenity at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal - so you’ll be in Manhattan and can choose the best airport that suits your travel plans

https://nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/schedule-mct/

6 hours ago, vino100 said:

We will be on the September serenity cruise ending in New York. I’m looking at air options and was wondering where the Serenity will dock. 

As we learned this year things can change. More than likely you will dock in Manhattan but as you select the time of your flight consider if there is a change in terminals and you dock in Brooklyn or Bayonne, New Jersey.

Keith 

• Like 1

Newark (EWR) is by far the easiest to get from any of the three - considering traffic.  There are only you and Carnival at the Port of New York with no overnights (so that is the most likely choice).

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Newark (EWR) is by far the easiest to get from any of the three - considering traffic.  There are only you and Carnival at the Port of New York with no overnights (so that is the most likely choice).

Much of this decision revolves around where your are flying to, and what's your preferred airline.  United controls over 60% of the volume at EWR, and most flights on other carriers are to their hubs.  So non-UA itineraries likely will involve at least one connect.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, feist said:

For domestic traffic and Canada, there are many direct flights into LaGuardia (LGA), which is closer to Manhattan than EWR and JFK airports.  

Just remember that LGA has a perimeter rule.  No flights with a distance of more than 1500 miles.  Only two exceptions - flights to/from Denver and any flight on a Saturday.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Just remember that LGA has a perimeter rule.  No flights with a distance of more than 1500 miles.  Only two exceptions - flights to/from Denver and any flight on a Saturday.

Wow. Thx, FT! Can’t wait to try to stump my sons the aviation gurus with this tidbit. Is TPA-LGA about 1300, and MIA just sneaks in under the 1500? I was sure there would be LGA-SJU, but since I have the highest regard for your knowledge, now I know there isn’t.

1 hour ago, May B said:

Wow. Thx, FT! Can’t wait to try to stump my sons the aviation gurus with this tidbit. Is TPA-LGA about 1300, and MIA just sneaks in under the 1500? I was sure there would be LGA-SJU, but since I have the highest regard for your knowledge, now I know there isn’t.

Great Circle Mapper to the rescue!  (www.gcmap.com)

LGA to TPA is 1010 miles.  MIA is only 86 miles further away at 1096.  San Juan is over, at 1608.

You can also ask the sons about the other USA airport with a perimeter rule.  That would be Reagan National in DC.  But it has many more exceptions, all with political connection.

9 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Great Circle Mapper to the rescue!  (www.gcmap.com)

LGA to TPA is 1010 miles.  MIA is only 86 miles further away at 1096.  San Juan is over, at 1608.

You can also ask the sons about the other USA airport with a perimeter rule.  That would be Reagan National in DC.  But it has many more exceptions, all with political connection.

Aha! Another fun tool for me to have in an open window.

In the old days 😳 I remember lots of flights were x6, so the reverse for LGA is fun to consider. It’s like a spaghetti model, to get planes where they’re going?

The one son will look for all the DCA exceptions, one by one, I’m sure.

When Mr B and I flew to SJU for our honeymoon, we missed our plane from ALB to JFK, and they put us in an air taxi. We were at the airport on time, but we didn’t go to the gate until we heard them say final call, and they’d given our seats away by then!

Edited by May B

14 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

This is good to now, even though I don't book many clients out of LGA. I am curious about the rationale for this as I have never seen the term "perimeter rule" before today.

Thanks!

48 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

This is good to now, even though I don't book many clients out of LGA. I am curious about the rationale for this as I have never seen the term "perimeter rule" before today.

Two factors.  One was to prevent overcrowding.  The other was to encourage development of routes and service from JFK and EWR, also owned by PANYNJ.  The original rule was 2000 miles, but this was reduced in 1984 to 1500.  As part of that reduction, routes to Denver were grandfathered in, along with the Saturday exception (because many flights in the past did not operate on that day - the old "x6" in schedules.)

The DCA rule was in a similar vein - both on the over-crowding and to encourage development of flights from IAD.  DCA has many more exceptions, generated by political pressures from members of Congress over the years.

Hope that provides the info you wanted.

3 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Two factors.  One was to prevent overcrowding.  The other was to encourage development of routes and service from JFK and EWR, also owned by PANYNJ.  The original rule was 2000 miles, but this was reduced in 1984 to 1500.  As part of that reduction, routes to Denver were grandfathered in, along with the Saturday exception (because many flights in the past did not operate on that day - the old "x6" in schedules.)

The DCA rule was in a similar vein - both on the over-crowding and to encourage development of flights from IAD.  DCA has many more exceptions, generated by political pressures from members of Congress over the years.

Hope that provides the info you wanted.

Much appreciated! Thanks!

Just now, cruisr said:

If you are at the NYPST it is much easier to go in/out EWR.  Going crosstown to get to LGA is usually a traffic nightmare.

Don't try to fight crosstown traffic.  Have your driver take the Henry Hudson Parkway to either the Harlem River Drive or the Deegan, then across the TriBoro to the Grand Central and you're at LGA.  Or cut across at 96th and the FDR to the TriBoro.

Sure it's about 5 miles shorter distance going crosstown to the Midtown tunnel -- but takes about twice as long.

As for EWR....it's the same distance as going to LGA.  What matters is taking the freeways, not the surface streets of Manhattan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/28/2023 at 9:18 PM, vino100 said:

Aloha. We divide our time between NY and Honolulu and I was born and raised in Manhattan and still maintain a presence there. There are three cruise ports: Manhattan, Brooklyn and New Jersey. Issues with each of them lol and I have experienced situations where the ship will reschedule to a different port sometimes at a moments notice. That said, September is United Nations month with world leaders including our President descending upon the city generally during the last two weeks of September.  You should check the schedule for the meetings and if that coincides with your docking you need to schedule your flights out of JFK or  LaGuardia for later in the day as Manhattan mayhem will ensue lol.  Also if it is a weekend docking there are streetfares and roads and avenues are closed.  Yes…headaches which I have learned to live with for decades but proper planning will result in you having less headaches and a relaxing visit to the city.  Please keep us posted and I will be happy to assist with further questions if I can!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, vino100 said:

Thanks for all the info. I usually fly United so Newark sounds the best choice. I would like to book a 11:30 flight. Does this sound reasonable? 

Aloha. Sorry I hit send before I responded to your above inquiry.  I personally do not fly out anywhere the day of docking. That said if I were I never book any flight before at least noon or 1pm. NY is a different story altogether and you need to get to Newark via the Lincoln or Holland tunnels. Even though the Lincoln is close to the pier on the West Side anything can happen and I have through the years experienced anything and everything.  Then you need the NJ Turnpike or route 9…same concerns. I would rather sit at the airport and be wrong than to be frantic and stressed after a wonderful voyage so in my opinion I would fly out after about 3pm at earliest.  Keep in mind that the port workers need to get to work and if there is UN issues, street closures, parades, festivals, protests, manhole explosions, construction accidents (I have experienced it all) they can’t get to work at the pier.  Sorry I am so cynical but being prepared helps keep my blood pressure low which is why I located to Hawaii!

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your advice. I was thinking I might be a little too optimistic about an 11:30 departure. I’m going to sfo so there are a lot of non stops. I think the 3: 00 sounds more doable. 

• Thanks 1