Carnival vs RC Oasis

mal831

43 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Yes, it is.  I tried to do all the new options (unless they totally turned me off) on our last CCL cruise.  Enjoyed them all a lot.

I felt bad I wasted so much Mdr food. I just dont eat 3 meals a day at home, I graze. I had some ribs that were so tender cut with a fork I especially coukdnt eat another bite and they were so good. Maybe the ship rocking bothered me but just couldnt eat more. Maybe because it was a journey cruise but food was night and day better than my last carnival cruise.  Very very improved. I wanted to try all the new stuff but just cant eat more at one time. I'd sure like those ribs right now they were perfect.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I felt bad I wasted so much Mdr food. I just dont eat 3 meals a day at home, I graze. I had some ribs that were so tender cut with a fork I especially coukdnt eat another bite and they were so good. Maybe the ship rocking bothered me but just couldnt eat more. Maybe because it was a journey cruise but food was night and day better than my last carnival cruise.  Very very improved. I wanted to try all the new stuff but just cant eat more at one time. I'd sure like those ribs right now they were perfect.

The emeril duck was off the charts

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 2:53 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

YES YES YES most definitely and also the Wonder OTS as well.

As they say "once you have done an Oasis class ship, it is hard to beat".

However the new ICON does look interesting as well. 

Not sure about that.  We did Oasis a couple years ago and went on Mardi Gras 2 months after.  We all preferred Mardi Gras.  Somewhat disappointed in the included food on RCCL (we generally don't do upcharge restaurants).

Edited by bmc alabama
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

Not sure about that.  We did Oasis a couple years ago and went on Mardi Gras 2 months after.  We all preferred Mardi Gras.  Somewhat disappointed in the included food on RCCL (we generally don't do upcharge restaurants).

well I do agree that on the newer CCL have more quick food places and the new ICON now has a marketplace including a crepe station.  I enjoy most specialty dining on most ships. 

But the Oasis central park is wonderful and the solarium in the front of the ship is nice too.  Wonder of the Seas has the best of all Oasis class ships. I do like that RCL ship have a lot of FREE variety of flavored teas in buffet unlike CCL.   oh well 

IMO nothing comes close to an Oasis class ship - well except for Icon I guess. We've been on Oasis and Harmony and will be on Odyssey this month then Wonder in June. Hoping to get on Icon within the next couple years if prices stabilize. Have no plans for Carnival

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

well I do agree that on the newer CCL have more quick food places and the new ICON now has a marketplace including a crepe station.  I enjoy most specialty dining on most ships. 

But the Oasis central park is wonderful and the solarium in the front of the ship is nice too.  Wonder of the Seas has the best of all Oasis class ships. I do like that RCL ship have a lot of FREE variety of flavored teas in buffet unlike CCL.   oh well 

When we sailed Oasis, it was just after the COVID restart and the Solarium cafe was closed the entire time. It would have been nice for that to have been open.

For us, we hardly ever do specialty dining, so ships that have a lot of speciality dining don't really appeal to us. We'd rather not fork out $50 per person for a hibachi meal that we could get cheaper on land. The one exception is Emeril's on Mardi Gras.  I didn't think that $3 for a huge bowl of Emeril's Red Beans and Rice was too terrible. On Royal, it really bugged me that they wanted to charge you for fries in Playmakers when you could go up to the Windjammer and get them for free. I also can't see why if Carnival can include Guy's Burger Joint why RCCL can't include Johnny Rockets.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

When we sailed Oasis, it was just after the COVID restart and the Solarium cafe was closed the entire time. It would have been nice for that to have been open.

For us, we hardly ever do specialty dining, so ships that have a lot of speciality dining don't really appeal to us. We'd rather not fork out $50 per person for a hibachi meal that we could get cheaper on land. The one exception is Emeril's on Mardi Gras.  I didn't think that $3 for a huge bowl of Emeril's Red Beans and Rice was too terrible. On Royal, it really bugged me that they wanted to charge you for fries in Playmakers when you could go up to the Windjammer and get them for free. I also can't see why if Carnival can include Guy's Burger Joint why RCCL can't include Johnny Rockets.

JR, it is a “sitting fee”.  They also call it lipstick on a pig.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/30/2024 at 4:28 PM, BlerkOne said:

Let me know the next time Oasis tenders passengers to Grand Cayman.

Oasis class never tenders.  They always dock.  I don't know how they do it, but Royal's embarkation, debarkation, and leaving the ship at ports is extremely organized and moves faster than Carnival.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

Oasis class never tenders.  They always dock.  I don't know how they do it, but Royal's embarkation, debarkation, and leaving the ship at ports is extremely organized and moves faster than Carnival.  

Too big to tender.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Too big to tender.

Judging by the success Royal is seeing with the Oasis and especially the Icon classes (And Carnival with the Excel class), that seems to be a bigger issue for Grand Cayman than it is Royal Caribbean or Carnival to be honest...

19 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Judging by the success Royal is seeing with the Oasis and especially the Icon classes (And Carnival with the Excel class), that seems to be a bigger issue for Grand Cayman than it is Royal Caribbean or Carnival to be honest...

Or is it just a passing fad? I would expect some ports to restrict, if not ban, mega ships. Too many ports don't have the infrastructure to support zillions of passengers being disgorged daily. 

6 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Or is it just a passing fad? I would expect some ports to restrict, if not ban, mega ships. Too many ports don't have the infrastructure to support zillions of passengers being disgorged daily. 

We will see. I don't see RCL or CCL going back to smaller ships to be honest. The economies of scale are just too big to ignore and the customer loves the bigger ships. Smaller lines like Virgin, obviously Viking, etc., will of course keep smaller ships and continue to build them. But I don't see Carnival or Royal in particular going back to anything smaller than say Carnival Vista or Royal Quantum class.

6 minutes ago, mz-s said:

We will see. I don't see RCL or CCL going back to smaller ships to be honest. The economies of scale are just too big to ignore and the customer loves the bigger ships. Smaller lines like Virgin, obviously Viking, etc., will of course keep smaller ships and continue to build them. But I don't see Carnival or Royal in particular going back to anything smaller than say Carnival Vista or Royal Quantum class.

I think cruise ships are close to being maxed out in size. Even though they can be built bigger, it is still just one ship. At what point will diversity overtake economies of scale?

I think I saw something today about Royal cancelling a few cruises next year. Those just become more and more costly 

And what impact would a disaster on one of a Monstrosity of the Sea have in bookings.

15 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

At what point will diversity overtake economies of scale?

I don't know. People still fill Myrtle Beach or Atlantic City every Summer and those places haven't changed in 30 years, so you tell me.

Many people see the ship as the destination. Good or bad - that's the target customer for CCL and RCL going forward. They will capture every one of your dollars from embarkation to final debarkation.

14 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I don't know. People still fill Myrtle Beach or Atlantic City every Summer and those places haven't changed in 30 years, so you tell me.

Many people see the ship as the destination. Good or bad - that's the target customer for CCL and RCL going forward. They will capture every one of your dollars from embarkation to final debarkation.

Never been to Myrtle Beach and it's been more than 30 years since I last went to Atlantic City. But I'm pretty sure those places do change.

No doubt RCL pushes the ship as the destination. Just one of a number of reasons I don't anticipate them getting any more of my dollars. And I have zero interest in cruising on Jubilee. I tried Mardi Gras and Celebration and that was enough. 

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I think I saw something today about Royal cancelling a few cruises next year. Those just become more and more costly 

Odd as I didnt see any cruises cancelled. Name one? I think there was a excursion still cancelled, someone died ...blue lagoon or some such name. Before you get too going ... remember both lines share a lot of the exact same excursions.

I think a ship yesterday missed nassau due to weather. 

Friends on the world cruise supposed to go thru the suez canal in may and they havent heard .... but you heard? Please tell. 

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Odd as I didnt see any cruises cancelled. Name one? I think there was a excursion still cancelled, someone died ...blue lagoon or some such name. Before you get too going ... remember both lines share a lot of the exact same excursions.

I think a ship yesterday missed nassau due to weather. 

Friends on the world cruise supposed to go thru the suez canal in may and they havent heard .... but you heard? Please tell. 

https://www.cruisehive.com/royal-caribbean-cancels-select-sailings-due-to-itinerary-planning/122867

9 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Ok 3 cancelled, 3 alternatives offered. I dont follow Australia much I admit. Usually they offer a price protected alternative. A switch of ships. 

Royal Caribbean is offering alternative cruises on Quantum of the Seas for passengers affected by the cancellation of the three Ovation of the Seas sailings. Once Quantum of the Seas completes its “7-Night South Pacific Cruise” in Brisbane, Australia, it will set sail on two replacement cruises designed to accommodate passengers from the cancelled Ovation of the Seas trips.

For passengers of the April 12 sailing, the alternative is a 21-Night Transpacific Cruise on Quantum of the Seas leaving April 8, 2025, from Sydney, Australia, to Honolulu, Hawaii, with stops in Picton, Wellington, and Auckland, New Zealand; and Moorea, Papeete, Tahiti, and Raiatea in French Polynesia.

I just disembarked from Wonder of the Seas on Sunday.  Like it or not, the "Monstrosity" ships offer more than anyone can possibly do in one week.  They truly are a destination in themselves.  The do plain vanilla itineraries and still sail full week after week.  I was hoping that the Excel class ships would be able to compete.  I don't feel the experience is even close.  We didn't really care for Mardi Gras after sailing on her twice.  When you compare other classes of Royal and Carnival ships, then the experience is more on par.  You might argue that one's food is better or service is friendlier, one is charging higher prices, one actually has straws, etc.  At that point, you are actually comparing apples to apples.   

13 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

I just disembarked from Wonder of the Seas on Sunday.  Like it or not, the "Monstrosity" ships offer more than anyone can possibly do in one week.  They truly are a destination in themselves.  The do plain vanilla itineraries and still sail full week after week.  I was hoping that the Excel class ships would be able to compete.  I don't feel the experience is even close.  We didn't really care for Mardi Gras after sailing on her twice.  When you compare other classes of Royal and Carnival ships, then the experience is more on par.  You might argue that one's food is better or service is friendlier, one is charging higher prices, one actually has straws, etc.  At that point, you are actually comparing apples to apples.   

If the debate of “better” is offering the most to do, then I guess monstrosity (you determine the flavor of the week namesake) will always win.  Your level and meaning of experience, is just that yours.  Stating it as fact….well not in my view.  It has been said many times, bigger (Oasis, Wonder, Icon, et al.), simply are not better to me.  Not even close.  Not for the robbery they are charging to sail a boring cruise on Icon or free on Oasis….JMHO, butt I will not state it as fact…

Edited by jimbo5544

On 2/4/2024 at 10:08 AM, firefly333 said:

I booked a TA on voyager to spain. My first one. Got a balcony any floor I wanted, for $1321. 13 days from PC. ... lol its after the TA the big expenses come in. Booked a 10 day 2nd leg ... not so cheap and staying in Rome and flying home. TAs by themselves are well priced.. its the after. I could book a 3rd leg and end in athens. Just depends where I want to end up and fly home from. 

Looked at Caribbean and same old for higher and higher prices. Spurring me to try europe. 

We didnt do TA this time, just Med, but I searched around quite a bit for best prices/flights. Seems like at least from the east coast London and Barcelona were about the cheapest. Round trip flights on Level direct from Boston were $550/each....a Suite on the World Europa was $3100 including free drinks/wifi/specialty restaurants.