Live from 35 nights on Ventura, what have I done?

17 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

I have very little to add about yesterday on the ship, as I was staying safely midship with reading and snoozing to make up for a poor night’s sleep on Wednesday.  The seas remained rough, as you will have gathered from Selbourne’s excellent, detailed account.  

Thanks I believe to Stugeron, I felt okay to manage both lunch and dinner in the mid ships restaurants and both times enjoyed our dining companions on shared tables.  I had hoped to get the same table for 2 we had on Wednesday night for dinner. We joined the sizeable queue at 6.05 pm, only to be told there were NO tables for 2 left!  Not the end of the world and as previously mentioned, it’s mainly due to DH’s hearing that I make this request, and it had a good outcome, but anyone considering this cruise on Freedom dining hoping for an early table for 2 should bear this in mind - early dining is very popular.

Before leaving home I had booked one Epicurean and one Beach House experience with the intention of using my OBS to book more.  Today I booked a further 5 Epicurean and 3 Beach House and may yet book more, although I doubt we will bother with Sindhu, having tried it on here and Iona and not been especially taken with it; but then my experience with Indian food at home runs to M&S butter chicken!  Although I did make Mary Berry’s excellent Malayan chicken recipe for friends over Christmas and that went down well.  Not Indian I know, but near enough 😉

This morning there were 2 guest speakers: Jamie Hayes on The History of the Musical in the theatre, and later Paul Castledine on Life as a Visiting Actor in Havana.  As the seas had calmed a little we went to the latter and found Paul Castledine’s tales of his work as an extra on film and TV interesting and entertaining.  @Cathygh the activities mostly do not interest us but if you want to work on your fitness with stretch classes, fit steps, dance classes etc then you will be well catered for.  Then of course there are all of the ‘lead in’ activities which are essentially sales pitches in disguise etc.  Apart from the speakers, I may attend the odd quiz (today’s themes are capital cities with a later Jukebox music challenge) and DH is about to attend his 2nd French lesson, which seems like a good addition to the activities.

@PurpleMoonlight as you will have gathered, the weather and sea conditions are now improving, but reception could not say when the pools would be refilled, much to DH’s disappointment.  This ship has had quite a list to port and I’m pleased that the captain mentioned it as I would have been tad concerned otherwise 😳.

@TigerB I will try to be mindful of your ‘lass’ (love that term of endearment btw) when I do the Death in paradise tour, and will report back.  I’ll add Cabot Cove to your list of places not to live 😉.

@pennib I will be sure to let you know how disembarkation goes in relation to Eavesway. We normally self-disembark to be on the road as early as possible and so we will be interested in how soon we get away, but I guess it will all depend on if we have stragglers amongst us.

Tonight’s entertainment choices are Headliners performing On the Horizon, vocalist Josie McCormick or the Comedian Phil Melbourne. We will go to the theatre.

Yesterday and today P&O put on their special lunch for the Caribbean (I think) and above passengers.  There was a very long line when we left Havana around noon; I assume they were heading for the stairs to go to the Bay Tree restaurant.  We spoke with people who attended yesterday’s event who said it had been very good.  Just shows how many P&O stalwarts are on board that they needed to host over 2 days.

We have, as expected, been very happy with the food.  I’d say the presentation of the main course is more akin to how I would serve at home, which is fine with me, compared to the American lines we have sailed with (Disney, Princess and Celebrity) where presentation is often more elaborate. Definitely an observation rather than a criticism though. I’ll save my criticism for the slow breakfast service (toast brought and butter following 10 minutes later etc) and difficulty getting refills of hot beverages.  The refills has been an issue on each P&O cruise we have been on - I think this is the 6th time - but a small thing in the scheme of things.

Thanks for your nice comments, unless someone asks something I can answer, I’ll leave it for a few days.  Tonight is Celebration night so almost time to get ready. We do comply, but are not fans of dressing up nights, although I feel we are possibly in the minority on a cruise such as this.  I’ve booked the Beach House for the next 2 😁

Great reports

Keep them coming. The more the better. It's like being on holiday with you!!!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Greetings from an overcast, drizzly Funchal! I'll attempt to add a photo or two later. We have been here a few times and done a tour or two, so we were quite happy to take the ship's shuttle (free to Select or £4 each way otherwise) and have a pleasant wander around until the drizzle began about 11.30 am, when we made our way back.

I read @Selbourne's excellent account this morning and one item in particular touched a nerve. Last night we were on a shared window table when about halfway through our meal a party were seated on the next corner window table. Then it began - incessant hearty coughing from a woman behind me. At first we all pretended not to notice but soon we were all giving each other meaningful glances. I asked DH if the person was using any sort of handkerchief and he confirmed my suspicions that they were not, and was turned away from their own table and facing my back! A lady on my table commented that she should have gone from the dining room it was so bad. It made us depart early from our good dining companions with a comment of 'don't blame you'.  

Gripe aside, something has surprised me about this cruise and others considering a lengthy cruise on Ventura should note - the early performance in the theatre can fill up fast!  We arrived at 8.10 pm for the 8.30 pm performance and people were coming out saying 'no seats'.  It was a singer (Josie McCormick) doing a Divas show and she had been on previously as Cher, and was good by all accounts.  People at breakfast told me there were only a few single seats by 8 pm. Blimey! On Celebrity they only open the theatre half an hour before a performance.

It all makes sense of course. Older passengers = greater demand for the earlier performances and early dining. We went down to dinner at a few minutes after 6 pm and joined the line at the Future Cruises spot, from where it wound all the way around the atrium. It did move fast however, and we were seated in around 10 minutes (no twos available by that time). I add this more as a 'head's up' rather than as a complaint, because I do understand, but I am with those who preferred to use the App and come along when your table is ready, as was the case on my last Ventura cruise last May. Again, I can see why they might not use the App as it keeps that table empty for up to 15 minutes.

Tonight I shall be Speciality dining and look forward to a table for two in relatively quiet surroundings and will take photos to share.

DH is happy that the outdoor pool was available for his (very) early morning swim from yesterday as, of course, it had been drained during the rough seas.

I've been on this ship 3 times before and yesterday I discovered the Glass House! Obviously I knew it was a favourite but had thought it was a only bar! Nice place to sit and read the paper or play games (note to self, take Rummikub? on next long trip and persuade DH to learn). We are both avid readers and so don't have a problem filling our time.

Attempt at photos coming up 🤞😊. The first is of Ventura with Aurora behind

PXL_20240107_112605889~4.jpg

PXL_20240107_111713666~2.jpg

PXL_20240107_111725304.jpg

Edited by mrsgoggins
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 5

Thank you

We’re boarding Iona on Saturday - our first cruise since the 2020 edition of the one you are on now.  We’ve been waiting for 🦠 to be eliminated, but have finally decided that missing out for 4 out of our remaining, err, 20 if we’re lucky, years is enough and we should go for it, taking as many precautions as possible

I’m concerned about your cougher, and Selbourne’s multiple coughers though.

It’s a dilemma.  I would have been like you and left - even abandoned my meal

Is anyone masking?  

Lovely pics of lovely Funchal.  We have a 21° drizzly day forecast for our visit, but there’s time for it to change.

I will continue to follow your adventure, which, as I say, will bring back memories from 4 years ago.  We were lucky with the sea conditions.  I wish you smooth sailing from now on - oh, and enjoy the Glasshouse, our favourite

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, purplesea said:

We are due to call at Funchal on our cruise on the 22nd and 29th Jan. Can I please ask where does the shuttle drop you?

On previous cruises, it's been at the end of the attractive road near the roundabout with the fountain and gardens. This time it was at the other end of the street, close to the cable car and old town.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

On previous cruises, it's been at the end of the attractive road near the roundabout with the fountain and gardens. This time it was at the other end of the street, close to the cable car and old town.

Thank you. 

58 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Same here. Near the cable car today on Aurora, but the other end of town in October on Ventura. We walked though and for those who are able it’s a lovely walk along a level promenade, with a short climb up at the end to the town centre. Very easy - even pushing a wheelchair. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Re the coughing, I absolutely sympathise (particularly as one for whom vaccines are ineffective), which is why we still can’t cruise. But there are quite a few people with asthma or other conditions who can’t avoid coughing - though I’d certainly not be expecting them to be coughing ‘openly’ for want of a better word.

It must be tough for these people, because coughing is extremely difficult for them to avoid. Equally tough though for anybody in coughing distance of anyone infectious. I don’t know what the answer is.

This thought did occur to me - that it could be a non-infectious condition that was causing it and that the person doing the coughing was also probably stressed. That is why we said nothing and left without any fuss. But, had it been me, I would still have used some sort of handkerchief or removed myself temporarily until the coughing subsided.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

Greetings from an overcast, drizzly Funchal! I'll attempt to add a photo or two later. We have been here a few times and done a tour or two, so we were quite happy to take the ship's shuttle (free to Select or £4 each way otherwise) and have a pleasant wander around until the drizzle began about 11.30 am, when we made our way back.

I read @Selbourne's excellent account this morning and one item in particular touched a nerve. Last night we were on a shared window table when about halfway through our meal a party were seated on the next corner window table. Then it began - incessant hearty coughing from a woman behind me. At first we all pretended not to notice but soon we were all giving each other meaningful glances. I asked DH if the person was using any sort of handkerchief and he confirmed my suspicions that they were not, and was turned away from their own table and facing my back! A lady on my table commented that she should have gone from the dining room it was so bad. It made us depart early from our good dining companions with a comment of 'don't blame you'.  

Gripe aside, something has surprised me about this cruise and others considering a lengthy cruise on Ventura should note - the early performance in the theatre can fill up fast!  We arrived at 8.10 pm for the 8.30 pm performance and people were coming out saying 'no seats'.  It was a singer (Josie McCormick) doing a Divas show and she had been on previously as Cher, and was good by all accounts.  People at breakfast told me there were only a few single seats by 8 pm. Blimey! On Celebrity they only open the theatre half an hour before a performance.

It all makes sense of course. Older passengers = greater demand for the earlier performances and early dining. We went down to dinner at a few minutes after 6 pm and joined the line at the Future Cruises spot, from where it wound all the way around the atrium. It did move fast however, and we were seated in around 10 minutes (no twos available by that time). I add this more as a 'head's up' rather than as a complaint, because I do understand, but I am with those who preferred to use the App and come along when your table is ready, as was the case on my last Ventura cruise last May. Again, I can see why they might not use the App as it keeps that table empty for up to 15 minutes.

Tonight I shall be Speciality dining and look forward to a table for two in relatively quiet surroundings and will take photos to share.

DH is happy that the outdoor pool was available for his (very) early morning swim from yesterday as, of course, it had been drained during the rough seas.

I've been on this ship 3 times before and yesterday I discovered the Glass House! Obviously I knew it was a favourite but had thought it was a only bar! Nice place to sit and read the paper or play games (note to self, take Rummikub? on next long trip and persuade DH to learn). We are both avid readers and so don't have a problem filling our time.

Attempt at photos coming up 🤞😊. The first is of Ventura with Aurora behind

PXL_20240107_112605889~4.jpg

PXL_20240107_111713666~2.jpg

PXL_20240107_111725304.jpg

Great photos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

🦠..... would have been like you and left - even abandoned my meal

Is anyone masking?  

I have not seen anyone in masks.

Hopefully you will get some sun on your Iona visit to Funchal 🤞

2 hours ago, purplesea said:

We are due to call at Funchal on our cruise on the 22nd and 29th Jan. Can I please ask where does the shuttle drop you?

On Iona in November we were dropped off at the start of the town opposite where Aurora is docked in @mrsgoggins photo.

• Thanks 1

By way of information!! The glasshouse in the Ventura was called Ramblas when the ship first joined the fleet. When it was renamed glasshouse, it presented a problem with decor as it was primarily dark brown wood and didn’t really fit in with the “glass house” theme when the Azura came along! The staff thought it was very funny. We haven’t been on Ventura since but will be on in January 2025. Enjoy!!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Great photos.

I am going to try harder, they weren't very inspiring but then down came the rain! Thanks to your tips (and inspiration - you know how much I love those coffee and breakfast pics by the sea) I now know how to post but I can't see how to place a comment beneath. 

In fact, totally unrelated to this trip Graham, here's a photo taken at my favourite Italian restaurant 😆 Not especially Italian being salmon, prawns with rye bread and butter, but although a starter, it was one of my best Christmas meals.

PXL_20231224_121508570.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

I am going to try harder, they weren't very inspiring but then down came the rain! Thanks to your tips (and inspiration - you know how much I love those coffee and breakfast pics by the sea) I now know how to post but I can't see how to place a comment beneath. 

In fact, totally unrelated to this trip Graham, here's a photo taken at my favourite Italian restaurant 😆 Not especially Italian being salmon, prawns with rye bread and butter, but although a starter, it was one of my best Christmas meals.

PXL_20231224_121508570.jpg

Nice photo and meal.

Edited by grapau27

Sometimes the cough is entirely due to aircon; it affected me once and I had no cold or flu symptoms but felt very embarrassed. I finally took an anti histamine for a few days and the cough disappeared. Worth having some with you.

7 minutes ago, Clodia said:

Sometimes the cough is entirely due to aircon; it affected me once and I had no cold or flu symptoms but felt very embarrassed. I finally took an anti histamine for a few days and the cough disappeared. Worth having some with you.

Sorry Clodia, this has nothing to do with air con, lungs full of yellow mess, on board air borne virus we were told. So many staff from day 1 with cleaning products all around the ship, all wearing gloves, Mr wishy washy on deck 11 most of the time

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

It all makes sense of course. Older passengers = greater demand for the earlier performances and early dining. 

This doesn't surprise me at all

It's what I've always NOT enjoyed about cruising prior to app booking for the theatre on all cruise lines we've used

It's a vicious circle as well - as now that's happening people will just arrive earlier and earlier to secure seats 

So next time anyone tells me on here that theatre seating on cruise ships works perfectly well without pre-booking I can refer them to your experience and don't have to tell them it just happened to me all the time before app booking was introduced

It's a real shame it's like that

With pre-booking once that show was full people could have planned their nights much more nicely to either watch the later performance or not at all - rather than find themselves shut out with late notice 

And the guests filling the theatre by 30 mins before the show starts needn't have got there so early. I wonder what time they started to arrive?

Most have them will have rushed other things to do that as well

It's a totally uncivilized way of doing things in this day and age IMO

And so unnecessary 

Plus for those who like "spontaneity" who cares - clearly anyone choosing to go last minute wouldn't have been spontaneously getting in anyway!!

It's outdated and would be very offputting to new cruisers let alone experienced cruisers

It's kind of unacceptable in this day and age to allow mini chaos like that (which it undoubtedly is) to happen

So predictable 

Lol - reading that has got me all stressed and I'm not even impacted by it!!

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

This doesn't surprise me at all

It's what I've always NOT enjoyed about cruising prior to app booking for the theatre on all cruise lines we've used

It's a vicious circle as well - as now that's happening people will just arrive earlier and earlier to secure seats 

So next time anyone tells me on here that theatre seating on cruise ships works perfectly well without pre-booking I can refer them to your experience and don't have to tell them it just happened to me all the time before app booking was introduced

It's a real shame it's like that

With pre-booking once that show was full people could have planned their nights much more nicely to either watch the later performance or not at all - rather than find themselves shut out with late notice 

And the guests filling the theatre by 30 mins before the show starts needn't have got there so early. I wonder what time they started to arrive?

Most have them will have rushed other things to do that as well

It's a totally uncivilized way of doing things in this day and age IMO

And so unnecessary 

Plus for those who like "spontaneity" who cares - clearly anyone choosing to go last minute wouldn't have been spontaneously getting in anyway!!

It's outdated and would be very offputting to new cruisers let alone experienced cruisers

It's kind of unacceptable in this day and age to allow mini chaos like that (which it undoubtedly is) to happen

So predictable 

Lol - reading that has got me all stressed and I'm not even impacted by it!!

It's also why I would be devastated if they ever take theatre pre-booking away from Arvia and Iona

I love my calm and nicely planned organised nights on those ships with time for cocktails, a nice meal without rushing and a leisurely walk to  the theatre

Followed by a short wait for the show to start

A perfect night on a cruise ship for us. Without any stress 

Only possible due to pre-booking theatre

Don't ever take us back into the dark ages on the big ships please P and O!!

And maybe it's time to look at what's happening on the older ships

I expect they have to weigh up how many complain about having to use an app compared to how many complain about the theatres being full so early and it's who shouts the loudest wins!!

I bet they would even have some complain about both without realising not having the app causes the shutouts so early!! Lol

A real downside of cruising that shouldn't still be happening IMO

Posted (edited)

Monday at sea update

The clock went back an hour last night so there was a lengthy queue for 8 am breakfast opening even at the Bay Tree restaurant, which P&O don't even publish as being open! Again it moved quite quickly so I only mention this as part of my head's up to those who might be considering it.

Last night was our first Epicurean meal of this trip, and was excellent. The same server who did my crepes Suzette last May did so again, and even remembered where we had sat then - how do they do that? The prime rib was medium rare as requested (overcooked on our previous visits) and the celeriac soup was delicious. 

We have been very impressed with almost everything we have eaten on this ship so far 👍. I'll attach photos - the crepes Suzette tasted great despite not looking great when served.

@Interestedcruisefan I'm still pondering your posts, because despite taking very many cruises since 2016 (eg 6 last year, only 2 of which were P&O), this is the first time I have ever encountered the very lengthy queues for dining and the theatre being completely full 20 minutes before a performance.

I did ask 2 days ago why the App was abandoned for dining - it having (or so I believe) been in use on the similar long cruise on this ship last year, and definitely when we were on her in May. I was told by a Senior Waiter that 'it didn't work on this ship'. My cabin number was taken and I was told the Manager would contact me later in the day. He didn't! This was a laid-back exchange btw - I would have liked to know that's all.  I may raise it again but right now we are enjoying the cruise and going with the flow!

PXL_20240107_184249712.jpg

PXL_20240107_192629187.jpg

PXL_20240107_192717625.MP.jpg

Edited by mrsgoggins
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Those pics look great

I think some restaurant and hotel booking systems can prompt waiting staff for returning clients with reminders etc

But also some waiting staff can remember without 

Also I stayed in a medium sized 5 star hotel once and had just checked in and was walking down the corridor to find my room and the general manager was walking the other way

He asked me what room number I was looking for and when I told him he immediately knew my name and addressed me by it (I had never stayed there before)

The most impressive thing I've known in a hotel ever!

So either he takes time every day to match names to room numbers or someone played a magic trick on me that day

The Hotel was Tylney Hall in Hampshire. Not sure if its now 4 star?

It was 15 years ago ish

• Like 3

How lucky are you???? Having been to the Epicurean on Britannia for our Christmas dinner a few weeks ago, we wanted crepes suzette done by the table (which they always used to do) but were told that could not be done for health and safety reasons and that this was fleet wide now. So we had something else instead. This was the final straw for a poor meal ( no amuse bouche and no sorbet). The main course was also poor. So we decided that after years having our Christmas dinner in the Epicurean on various ships, that was it. Our last Caribbean Christmas on P&O so instead we are on Ventura for 35:nights in January 2025. Hope they continue doing crepes suzette by then!!

enjoy the rest of your cruise.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pennib said:

How lucky are you???? Having been to the Epicurean on Britannia for our Christmas dinner a few weeks ago, we wanted crepes suzette done by the table (which they always used to do) but were told that could not be done for health and safety reasons and that this was fleet wide now. So we had something else instead. This was the final straw for a poor meal ( no amuse bouche and no sorbet). The main course was also poor. So we decided that after years having our Christmas dinner in the Epicurean on various ships, that was it. Our last Caribbean Christmas on P&O so instead we are on Ventura for 35:nights in January 2025. Hope they continue doing crepes suzette by then!!

enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Hope you are as lucky!  We had both the amuse bouche and an apple sorbet - both very good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

It's also why I would be devastated if they ever take theatre pre-booking away from Arvia and Iona

I love my calm and nicely planned organised nights on those ships with time for cocktails, a nice meal without rushing and a leisurely walk to  the theatre

Followed by a short wait for the show to start

A perfect night on a cruise ship for us. Without any stress 

Only possible due to pre-booking theatre

Don't ever take us back into the dark ages on the big ships please P and O!!

And maybe it's time to look at what's happening on the older ships

I expect they have to weigh up how many complain about having to use an app compared to how many complain about the theatres being full so early and it's who shouts the loudest wins!!

I bet they would even have some complain about both without realising not having the app causes the shutouts so early!! Lol

A real downside of cruising that shouldn't still be happening IMO

We always used to  enjoy seeing the headliners shows, and any tribute groups from the pre 90's era, and with the pre app system for the MDR this was reasonably easy. However we have found on P&O, and Princes, this has become almost impossible. If we use the virtual queue system we never know how long the wait will be, so we could end up having to cancel and re-book because they were ready too soon for us, or we end up with extended waits and then, even if we join the non booking queue, we end up with our dinner extending beyond the start time for the theatre.

Then of course, because we had booked the theatre, and not wanting to be rude to table companions by fiddling on our phone to cancel it, our booking will have resulted in a late arrival disturbing others by trying to get to the only seats left in the middle of a row.

And the moral of the story is, that whist ICF is happy with the new system, according Paul Ludlow 99% are not!!!!!😇

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We always used to  enjoy seeing the headliners shows, and any tribute groups from the pre 90's era, and with the pre app system for the MDR this was reasonably easy. However we have found on P&O, and Princes, this has become almost impossible. If we use the virtual queue system we never know how long the wait will be, so we could end up having to cancel and re-book because they were ready too soon for us, or we end up with extended waits and then, even if we join the non booking queue, we end up with our dinner extending beyond the start time for the theatre.

Then of course, because we had booked the theatre, and not wanting to be rude to table companions by fiddling on our phone to cancel it, our booking will have resulted in a late arrival disturbing others by trying to get to the only seats left in the middle of a row.

And the moral of the story is, that whist ICF is happy with the new system, according Paul Ludlow 99% are not!!!!!😇

Now that's a different matter entirely though John?

We dine with more than enough time for making the theatre

Sometimes (rarely) it might be a long meal and we might forego cocktails on the way

But never missed a show yet

We dine early though and don't share tables so we don't have issues having to watch the clock nowadays

Even dining early we did have to watch the clock in the past as we knew we had to head to the theatre 30 mins plus in advance to be sure of a seat 

And that could impact even a 6.30pm meal

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

With pre theatre booking we've never encountered the only seats being left in the middle of the rows and having  to cross people

The opposite in fact

We used to encounter that without pre-booking I remember 

I think the margin for error plus maybe some not making it allows for plenty of seats to choose from 90 per cent of the time even for 5 mins before and they fill from both sides 

Rarely gaps in the middle ?