HAVE CAPTAIN'S COCKTAIL PARTIES RESUMED?

Mareblu

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

Sounds like @Redtravel had a misinformed server or a server who didn't want to to the bar and get a martini.  Of course, if it could have been a specialty martini that is not on the regular bar menu, or the rule just changed.

You are making assumptions that the server was misinformed or lazy. That wasn’t the case. I was not misinformed. This is new to me.  The server was very polite. He explained the menu concept.  He wasn’t misinformed. He was just doing his job.  I did not order a specialty drink.  On your next Oceania cruise, you’ll likely encounter the same thing. It’s what it is.

18 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Yes, things have changed on Oceania. We sail on Oceania often. Up until now, our experiences were amazing. During the Captains welcome party, you could order anything complimentary.  Imagine my surprise when I watched the servers remove the usual bar menus. Shortly after an event menu was placed on each table in the bar area.  It is very limited.  I don’t know when this change started.  Last year we sailed on Marina twice. Most recent cruise was June 2023. There were no limits on that sailing.  Nothing stays the same.  

I sat at the bar. My husband was working out. The bartender told me he could make any Martini for me. They did not have the gin I liked that was available in Martinis. I do not remember what I ordered instead.

45 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

I sat at the bar. My husband was working out. The bartender told me he could make any Martini for me. They did not have the gin I liked that was available in Martinis. I do not remember what I ordered instead.

Are you n a ship now.

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

You are making assumptions that the server was misinformed or lazy. That wasn’t the case. I was not misinformed. This is new to me.  The server was very polite. He explained the menu concept.  He wasn’t misinformed. He was just doing his job.  I did not order a specialty drink.  On your next Oceania cruise, you’ll likely encounter the same thing. It’s what it is.

Sorry if it sounded that way, but I was trying to provide 3 possible explanations given the information provided.  The third was that the rules changed recently, and the additional information you added, along with other's prior experiences, confirmed that.  Thank you.  Now we know what to expect.

Up until now, we always were able to order anything during the Captains welcome party.  Not sure when it changed. Obviously it has changed and not for the good.  Simply More is becoming Sadly Less.  Cruise is still very nice. Changes happen.  Accept and go on. 
I am curious to see if the same thing happens at the repeaters reception. 

5 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Not seeing the list, I asked for a martini. Server said it’s not on the list.  He said that I couldn’t get it. What?  Just bring it.  I will pay for it.  That was the welcome party!  

We ordered martinis at the Captain's Party on Riviera in March. The waiter delivered it with no issue. 

3 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

@Redtravel Do you remember what was on the event menu? Not important, just curious. Do they still bring tasty tidbits to nibble?

I didn’t take a photo.  In retrospect I should’ve. There were some cold pickups.  There was wine and about 5 mixed drinks. The list was very short.  My spouse commented that Celebrity Captains Club pre dinner nightly cocktails included way more than Oceania. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Not seeing the list, I asked for a martini. Server said it’s not on the list.  He said that I couldn’t get it. What?  Just bring it.  I will pay for it.  That was the welcome party!  

New servers have also given us that answer at least once. Including Dec 2023 on Insignia.

Clarified with head person at the bar and we got what we asked for. If you are peak times at the venue with the captain (usually the lounge-theater) this may not work so well. we have found early bird at Horizons (and assume also Martinis) is easier. 

Edited by babysteps

16 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Yes, things have changed on Oceania. We sail on Oceania often. Up until now, our experiences were amazing. During the Captains welcome party, you could order anything complimentary.  Imagine my surprise when I watched the servers remove the usual bar menus. Shortly after an event menu was placed on each table in the bar area.  It is very limited.  I don’t know when this change started.  Last year we sailed on Marina twice. Most recent cruise was June 2023. There were no limits on that sailing.  Nothing stays the same.  

We were on Vista OCT 23 for 32 days (B2B2B) and were able to order any drink at all 3  Captain's Party and also during happy hour.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is interesting. I'll be on the Marina in a couple of weeks and see for myself.

In all fairness, experiences prior to Jan 1 of this year may not reflect a recent change. While I don't like what I'm seeing I don't doubt it. Easy way to cut cost. I think we should be thankful that there is still an open bar on Captain's Welcome night. I do hate to see the Oceania product we've been used to being watered down. 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, ORV said:

This is interesting. I'll be on the Marina in a couple of weeks and see for myself.

In all fairness, experiences prior to Jan 1 of this year may not reflect a recent change. While I don't like what I'm seeing I don't doubt it. Easy way to cut cost. I think we should be thankful that there is still an open bar on Captain's Welcome night. I do hate to see the Oceania product we've been used to being watered down. 

If you're on before 2/14, please post your experience.  If you're on the 2/14 cruise, I'll see you on board. 

Just now, shepherd really said:

If you're on before 2/14, please post your experience.  If you're on the 2/14 cruise, I'll see you on board. 

We talked about this before, I can't believe you don't remember🤠LOL

We board 1/21 and get off on 2/14. I leave a week from today. Thankfully they postponed that Brazil Evisa, because I still don't have mine. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ORV said:

We talked about this before, I can't believe you don't remember🤠LOL

We board 1/21 and get off on 2/14. I leave a week from today. Thankfully they postponed that Brazil Evisa, because I still don't have mine. 

My memory is like a steel trap, sometimes it gets a little rusty. 

Have a fabulous trip.

• Like 1

Just now, shepherd really said:

My memory is like a steel trap, sometimes it gets a little rusty. 

Have a fabulous trip.

I always tell people my mind is like a colander, everything just runs right through it. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ORV said:

I leave a week from today.

A slightly related topic.....if you have time to report back about as well please.

I can't recall how Happy Hour actually works at Martinis.

However, it was reported by someone currently onboard that during HH at Martinis only their Martinis where available as the 2 for 1.

If you wanted another type of drink (2 for 1 ) then you had to go to another bar.

The post made it appear as though this was a change.

Was this always the case or is this also new ?

Edited by Tranquility Base

2 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

A slightly related topic.....if you have time to report back about as well please.

However, it was reported by someone currently onboard that during HH at Martinis only their Martinis where available as the 2 for 1.

If you wanted another type of drink then you had to go to another bar.

This was never the case before. I'll check it out. 

2 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

If you wanted another type of drink (2 for 1 ) then you had to go to another bar.

This was not the case in Dec 2023 in Insignia. Looking forward to current reports - anything can change, ght? 

we are on our first Oceania cruise in October. it's 16 nights - will there be more than 1 Captain's Cocktail party? I know we won't get invited to repeat cruisers events! 

We did 2 10 nights B2B on Riviera in Oct-Nov 2023. So there were 2 Captain's Parties. One for each cruise. If your 16 nights is considered 1 cruise, you'll have 1 Captain's Party. But if it was really 2 cruises--say 7 and 9 days each--you'd have 2 parties.

4 minutes ago, clo said:

...why do people care about these parties?? Is it just the free booze?

See all the discussion about Drinks Packages and how expensive they are. I bring my own beer, hard liquor and wine on board (to drink in my cabin). BUT you'll see me ordering double Bailey's from the bar during the Captain's Party and the Repeater Party. See how much O wants to charge you daily to drink outside of lunch and dinner in a restaurant. Used to be about $70 PP/PD before SM. Haven't paid much attention to it since. And we were on Riviera 10/30-11/19/2023 on a B2B recently. That mean 4 nights of free Baileys!

10 minutes ago, clo said:

Not being snotty but why do people care about these parties?? Is it just the free booze?

We enjoy the introduction of the Staff, which facilitates matching faces to the position during casual encounters elsewhere on the ship…

• Like 3