Medical Histories To be Provided For Manicure and Pedicure in particular!! Think about this!!!

SusieAV8R

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

A pedicure is a medical procedure, no different than getting your teeth cleaned where you have give them your medical history 

My wife does pedicures  and has to keep a file on what was done on each client

No, a pedicure is not a medical procedure unless performed by a podiatrist. And podiatrists are not medical doctors so the procedure is likely not even covered by health insurance. 

The pedicures most women pay $35 for are provided by licensed manicurists and fall under the umbrella of cosmology…here in the US, that is. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 6

26 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

No, a pedicure is not a medical procedure unless performed by a podiatrist. And podiatrists are not medical doctors so the procedure is likely not even covered by health insurance. 

The pedicures most women pay $35 for are provided by licensed manicurists and fall under the umbrella of cosmology…here in the US, that is. 

• Like 1

OMG!  I am a retired dentist and agree with Georgia_Peaches!  There is absolutely NO WAY an esthetician who does mani/pedis needs comprehensive health info. I am quite sure they might not know how to process. Perhaps a client may mention that they have compromised circulation due to diabetes and that might be an alert if the esthetician is aware.  There is no need to fill in this info to personnel that do not understand the intricacies of health care.  This is an info gathering that should NOT be happening. Excuse me, what is the training involved as an esthetician?  No slight to the estheticians, but the company that they work for that are requiring this info.  Wow!  Full stop.

• Like 3

Unless I was having a nail emergency there is no way I would get a mani\pedi on a ship.  If I did they would get the information that I was in perfect health with no medical information to give.  I get a manicure every other week and a pedi every month and have never been asked for anything other then payment.

• Like 4

I think  some are overthinking this disclosure form..

.For some services,  knowledge of skin conditions like fungus,acne or  product  allergies would  be relevant..for others, diabetes,  high blood pressure, heart conditions or recent surgery in certain areas might be relevant. Some services are not rec for those with  specific  "health issues".

I just fill out what relates to why I am there and don't go into detail unless needed.. Have not had issues with the forms and no follow up solicitations.

I plan to enjoy my usual  cruise massage, facial and Kerastase salon visit!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

The X spas on X appear to be under legal authority of the Bahamas.  (Which means, Americans, HIPPA protections probably do NOT apply. I have no personal knowledge of non-American country medical protections.)

I'm surprised that as an attorney, you didn't know that nearly everything onboard a foreign flag cruise ship is under the laws of the "flag state" and not the "port state".  Even when docked in a port in the US, US laws and "protections" do not apply, for the most part.  The overlap of jurisdiction between "port state" and "flag state" is a very large gray area, but the simplest definition, as used in the US, is that unless the "safety or well being of the port state" are involved, then the "flag state's" laws apply on the ship, even when docked.  SCOTUS has found that even such things as the ADA, since the act does not specifically mention foreign flag cruise ships, does not completely apply, even for cruises that home port in the US.  I am not an attorney, certainly not an admiralty lawyer, but after 4 decades of working at sea, you get a layman's handle on "international" law.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

There are also Podologist , 

https://northamericanschoolofpodology.com/about/

In Canada , procedure by a podologist is a medical tax deductible 

at $35  I wouldn’t expect anything of any value  

9 hours ago, Dr. Pam said:

OMG!  I am a retired dentist and agree with Georgia_Peaches!  There is absolutely NO WAY an esthetician who does mani/pedis needs comprehensive health info. I am quite sure they might not know how to process. Perhaps a client may mention that they have compromised circulation due to diabetes and that might be an alert if the esthetician is aware.  There is no need to fill in this info to personnel that do not understand the intricacies of health care.  This is an info gathering that should NOT be happening. Excuse me, what is the training involved as an esthetician?  No slight to the estheticians, but the company that they work for that are requiring this info.  Wow!  Full stop.

As a dentist you should know garbage information in garbage information out 

19 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Wow. Just so extremely rude and nasty. 

What a shame..

24 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

There are also Podologist , 

https://northamericanschoolofpodology.com/about/

In Canada , procedure by a podologist is a medical tax deductible 

at $35  I wouldn’t expect anything of any value  

As I mentioned, a $35 pedi is purely cosmetic and easily obtained at a nail salon. Actually, the price is more like $45 now…but that’s a completely different topic. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I do not understand what you are trying to say? I am sorry, I was just trying to voice my thought that there is too much personal info gathering by the company that runs the spa on the ships. 

Happy and Safe travels to you Ex-Airbalancer.

12 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

A pedicure is a medical procedure, no different than getting your teeth cleaned where you have give them your medical history 

My wife does pedicures  and has to keep a file on what was done on each client

I certainly beg to differ! Having a dental hygiene appointment is absolutely not comparable to a pedicure. A pedicure is a medical procedure??? NOOOOO🤣

• Like 2

11 hours ago, zitsky said:

Does a manicurist need to know that I have cancer?  Or heart disease?  How is that relevant?

Yes. Because when an immune compromised person gets a mani or pedi, gets nicked or cut then were to get a gnarly infection from the service and then gets extremely sick…that’s a problem. A problem that many people would try to place blame on someone else. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Pam said:

I do not understand what you are trying to say? I am sorry, I was just trying to voice my thought that there is too much personal info gathering by the company that runs the spa on the ships. 

Happy and Safe travels to you Ex-Airbalancer.

Just saying if a  professional doesn’t get correct information, it makes it hard to do a correct job 

😁

5 hours ago, hcat said:

.For some services,  knowledge of skin conditions like fungus,acne or  product  allergies would  be relevant..for others, diabetes,  high blood pressure, heart conditions or recent surgery in certain areas might be relevant. Some services are not rec for those with  specific  "health issues".

I just fill out what relates to why I am there and don't go into detail unless needed.. Have not had issues with the forms and no follow up solicitations.

9 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Yes. Because when an immune compromised person gets a mani or pedi, gets nicked or cut then were to get a gnarly infection from the service and then gets extremely sick…that’s a problem. A problem that many people would try to place blame on someone else. 

10 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Just saying if a  professional doesn’t get correct information, it makes it hard to do a correct job 

😁

As a nurse, I can vouch for all this. And people with these conditions usually know and understand why a spa would need to know these things.

If you are uncomfortable with sharing medical information, don't utilize the spa. If you do use it, think carefully before you give them an incorrect medical history. By doing so you put yourself at risk. How much risk? It varies. The risk to benefit ratio is something that you need to decide for yourself.

As a provider, I know that I really, REALLY, did not appreciate finding out that my client withheld pertinent information from me simply because they didn't understand why I needed it.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, hcat said:

Agree.

As you noted, there are medical conditions that a person providing services in the spa should know about as it can effect how they perform those services.  The most common conditions that a customer would be well-served to disclose are diabetes, heart or circulatory system conditions and whether they are taking blood thinners. 

If one chooses not to disclose relevant medical conditions when receiving spa services they should be aware of the risks that non-disclosure poses. 

It also sounds as though the onboard spa staff could use some training on how to approach that issue with customers.  Handing them a clipboard and expecting them to complete a multi-page medical history is not very reasonable, necessary or customer-service oriented.  However, a brief explanation of what information they need and why they need it may alleviate the concerns expressed by the OP and allow them to make an informed decision about whether to utilize the spa.  That explanation could even be presented on a single sheet of paper with a few simple "yes" or "no" questions.

• Like 2

Some of you haven’t answered the question.

When I get a massage, why does the massage therapist need to know about my tinnitus?  It’s a medical condition right?  One that has no relevance to a massage.

Do I have confidence that the staff are not “swapping stories”?

I have other medical conditions that are none of their damn business.

They can know about my toenail fungus.

• Like 2

*shrug*  This is pretty standard when you go to a spa on land, too.  I've been getting bimonthly massages at the same place for years, so I don't have to fill anything out each time, but every time they do review my record and 1) ask me if anything has changed in my medical situation and 2) ask if they still have consent to massage. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Some of you haven’t answered the question.

When I get a massage, why does the massage therapist need to know about my tinnitus?  It’s a medical condition right?  One that has no relevance to a massage.

Do I have confidence that the staff are not “swapping stories”?

I have other medical conditions that are none of their damn business.

They can know about my toenail fungus.

I doubt any of the spa staff gives a single thought about your health issues. They swap stories just as much as the bartenders make fun of belligerent people, the waiters make fun of demanding guests, etc. 

They already have your passport info, your credit card info, your address, video surveillance of you around the ship literally any time you are outside of your cabin, they know what you purchased, they know where you traveled, they know who you traveled with. It's a stretch to think that suddenly they have some sinister interest in your medical history. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Just for clarification, a Podiatrist does NOT perform pedicures.  Podiatrists perform medical procedures that may include nail and callus debridement.  Podiatrists who are licensed in the USA must finish 4 years of undergraduate school, 4 years of Podiatric medical school (first 2 years mirror MD/DO schools and the last 2 concentrate on the lower extremities (hip and below)), a surgical/medical/orthopedic 3-4 year residency program rotating with other MD/DO residents and then, if desired, a fellowship program.  Podiatrists prescribe narcotics and are trained to perform surgery.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, peanut head said:

Just for clarification, a Podiatrist does NOT perform pedicures.  Podiatrists perform medical procedures that may include nail and callus debridement.  Podiatrists who are licensed in the USA must finish 4 years of undergraduate school, 4 years of Podiatric medical school (first 2 years mirror MD/DO schools and the last 2 concentrate on the lower extremities (hip and below)), a surgical/medical/orthopedic 3-4 year residency program rotating with other MD/DO residents and then, if desired, a fellowship program.  Podiatrists prescribe narcotics and are trained to perform surgery.

Understood. However, my dear mother-in-law had horrendous feet/toe nails. Required a dremel-like tool to grind down her nails. The procedure was called a pedicure and was performed by a podiatrist. So not the typical nail salon variety…in this case it was a medical procedure and that’s what I was referring to in my comment. I believe the type of pedi that one would get on a cruise ship is of the nail salon variety and should not require a medical history. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, owensjro said:

Headquartered in Nassau, Bahamas, OneSpaWorld is one of the largest health and wellness services companies in the world. OneSpaWorld’s distinguished spas offer guests a comprehensive suite of premium health, wellness, fitness and beauty services, treatments, and products currently onboard 163 cruise ships and at 70 destination resorts around the world. OneSpaWorld holds the leading market position within the fast-growing international leisure market and has been built upon its exceptional service standards, expansive global recruitment, training and logistics platforms, and a history of service and product innovation that has enhanced its guests’ personal care experiences while vacationing for over 50 years.

https://onespaworld.com/privacy-policy/

Your personal data will be shared with and processed by our affiliates and certain service providers as necessary to fulfill the purposes set out in this Privacy Policy, including:

• Other entities within our corporate group;
  • External third parties such as our insurers, service providers, IT and hosting service providers, legal and risk management advisers, and the cruise line on whose vessel you were provided with the service; and
  • Third parties to whom we may choose to sell, transfer, or merge parts of our business or our assets. Alternatively, we may seek to acquire other businesses or merge with them. If a change happens to our business, then the new owners may use your personal data in the same way as set out in this Privacy Policy.

Yikes....much too open ended;  no spa for me.  I've used the spa for hair/nails in the past and never filled in a questionnaire.  Last time was a few years ago...perhaps the requirements have changed if there has been medical 'issues'.

• Like 1