Theft prevention?

Finally recovering from my usual post cruise illness (preferable to being ill DURING the cruise as were many) and something has been irritating me since we disembarked from the 25 day “Christmas in the Amazon” cruise on the Mariner.  We had a horizon view HS suite and while preparing to leave on the morning of 1/6 I noticed that the desk area seemed different.  I then realized that the Bluetooth speaker (if that’s what it is; we never used it) was gone.  I then realized that the binoculars from the glassware cabinet were also missing.  Apparently someone had removed them the previous evening while we were at dinner and before we completed our packing.  Is there any explanation other than they were concerned that we might (innocently or deliberately) take them with us when we left?  I’m feeling quite insulted.

1 hour ago, DDDDale said:

Finally recovering from my usual post cruise illness (preferable to being ill DURING the cruise as were many) and something has been irritating me since we disembarked from the 25 day “Christmas in the Amazon” cruise on the Mariner.  We had a horizon view HS suite and while preparing to leave on the morning of 1/6 I noticed that the desk area seemed different.  I then realized that the Bluetooth speaker (if that’s what it is; we never used it) was gone.  I then realized that the binoculars from the glassware cabinet were also missing.  Apparently someone had removed them the previous evening while we were at dinner and before we completed our packing.  Is there any explanation other than they were concerned that we might (innocently or deliberately) take them with us when we left?  I’m feeling quite insulted.

Perhaps special sterilization...it certainly isn't because they thought you would steal them.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Perhaps special sterilization...it certainly isn't because they thought you would steal them.

Actually, this has been standard practice for at least the last ten years and is to prevent passengers from "accidently" packing them - a number of years ago as I was packing up the night before disembarkation,  I went to look for the binoculars and noticed they were missing. I didn't want Regent to think that we (or the children) took them so I went down to the front desk to make a report and that is when I learned that they had been removed from the room and the explanation why.

8 minutes ago, NYC-London said:

Actually, this has been standard practice for at least the last ten years and is to prevent passengers from "accidently" packing them - a number of years ago as I was packing up the night before disembarkation,  I went to look for the binoculars and noticed they were missing. I didn't want Regent to think that we (or the children) took them so I went down to the front desk to make a report and that is when I learned that they had been removed from the room and the explanation why.

I stand corrected - too funny!

• Like 1

At first glance I thought there was a worry about fellow guests stealing things. I was going to suggest putting valuables on the pool loungers first thing in the morning knowing that nobody is allowed to touch anything....

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, fizzy said:

At first glance I thought there was a worry about fellow guests stealing things. I was going to suggest putting valuables on the pool loungers first thing in the morning knowing that nobody is allowed to touch anything....

That was my thought too!  🤪

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, NYC-London said:

Thanks for confirming that Regent indeed has a policy to remove certain items from suites the day before disembarkation to prevent those items from being stolen by their guests.  Apparently I am the only affected person who is insulted by that policy.  We paid almost $45k for the cruise and they felt it necessary to protect their bluetooth speaker and binoculars from theft by me? Even though they had my credit card information?  I’m surprised that they didn’t protect the really nifty satellite phone and the bedside clock.  I guess they didn’t mind it I walked off with those items, the corkscrew, pen and some towels.  

This is a first for me.  We have been on a lot of cruises and stayed in many hotels and, to my knowledge, Regent Seven Seas has been the only provider to consider us potential, no, probable, thieves and actually remove items to prevent us from taking them.  I’m astonished that they would have such a policy and equally astonished that others are apparently okay with it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Actually I am surprised that anyone is bothered by this policy. It has been in effect on Regent for a long time. It does offend us, in fact, we never even thought about it. We are way too busy enjoying what Regent offers.

• Like 4

Perhaps Regent removes these items because experience has shown them that these particular things are often packed in suitcases by accident, not purposefully stolen.

They are items that I would have taken on a cruise if they were not already provided. My DH would not know what I had packed from home and would definitely not know what Regent provided! In our rush to pack, he could quite possibly put these items in a suitcase to bring home, believing them to be mine. This mistake would not occur with a bedside clock or towels, items in every hotel room.

I may be totally wrong, but I don't want to believe Regent thinks I may be a thief two weeks before my first ever cruise!

• Like 10

I think the real issue is the fact that if the binoculars go missing that means they need to be replaced and how many extra binoculars can you keep on a cruise ship?

I can see that this practice of collecting binoculars and blue tooth speaker ( that is new to me) as an efficient way to make sure that working/clean binoculars and speaker are where they are suppose to be at the start of the cruise. 
Imagine the chaos 30 minutes before the first excursion and suddenly some guests call reception because they can’t find the binoculars. 

• Like 7

There is also a polite reminder in the final issue of Passages to ensure that library books are returned and that bathrobes & umbrellas remain in the suite.

Do we find this to be an inconvenience? No

Do we find this to be "insulting"? No

Do we take this personally? No

it is just a very practical way of ensuring no embarrassment for guests or staff and that all items on board are available for the next guests who board.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, flossie009 said:

There is also a polite reminder in the final issue of Passages to ensure that library books are returned and that bathrobes & umbrellas remain in the suite.

Do we find this to be an inconvenience? No

Do we find this to be "insulting"? No

Do we take this personally? No

it is just a very practical way of ensuring no embarrassment for guests or staff and that all items on board are available for the next guests who board.

I agree. And for those who do intentionally take them, what a surprise when the cost is added to their final bill.

• Like 1

Not that much different than the airlines taking back their noise cancelling headphones 45 minutes before you land, usually just when you want to finish that third movie your are watching,

Edited by Bruce61
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Reminds me of a comedian I saw years ago - he said he'd recently stayed in a very smart hotel - the towels were so fluffy he could hardly close his suitcase at the end of his stay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

18 hours ago, minotaur said:

Reminds me of a comedian I saw years ago - he said he'd recently stayed in a very smart hotel - the towels were so fluffy he could hardly close his suitcase at the end of his stay.

A few years ago, on Oceania Insignia, on the penultimate day we were all given the bathrobes! The ship was being loaned to Hapag-Lloyd at the end of our cruise.  It was a real challenge to get them in our cases but we coped!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Louby-Lou said:

Is there an allure?

There's enough of one that almost every hotel has cards telling people not to take them, that they can be purchased. 

I do use the bathrobe onboard, but never at home. I think it's the chance that a room steward will come to the door as soon as I get out of the shower.

I could never take the bathrobe with me since there isn't any room for something that bid in my suitcases.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 12:46 PM, vistaman said:

there was a time when bathrobes were taken away the last day ...

We experienced that on a different cruise line two months ago. The cabin attendant told us that bathrobes would be collected the evening prior to disembarkation. Totally understandable. 

On our Splendor cruise last November, new bathrobes appeared on the last day. Our original bathrobes were not removed, but were hung in a different location away from the new ones. Obviously, our attendant was trying to get a head start on the busy debark/embark day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SellaVee said:

People do take things by accident quite often.  We stayed with friends of ours and my DH tried to take her shoes thinking they were mine.  To be fair we do have similar tastes.

We had dinner at a friend's house, and my DH wore our friend's sneakers home. The next morning, I noticed them, and pointed out that they were not his. DH called his friend, and he had already worn them that morning, and hadn't noticed. They did, however, exchange them later that day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2