Carry on

1 hour ago, loman said:

How does it fit through the scanner to get onto the ship ?

Most people say that the scanners are the same as airports, and they are not- they are slightly bigger.  Even so, the airport ones will fit a bag bigger than the space for overhead bins, too.  It's not a precise fit.

• Thanks 2

We’ve always done one small rolling suitcase with medicines, essentials in case our checked bags get delayed. I usually carry a second shoulder bag with swim suits, towels and sunscreen so we can go to pool asap if kids are with us. In Windjammer, our luggage goes right under the table so it’s not blocking anyone. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2024 at 8:51 PM, schooner_Drinker said:

Been on 24 since restart and got on every sailing with a carry on suitcase and a backpack each.

It really is no big deal

Once you get the art of packing cracked,

it makes the whole travel day (s) so much easier and self disembarkation is a breeze.

(yes 3 pairs of shoes, dive shoes and flip flops)

If you are flying, this is also a big plus 

No waiting for cases - and the biggy for us, if you have ever lost a case

You are not losing it when you carry it on.

We even do carry ons for International as well (plus backpack)

Saves many minutes at other end waiting for and hoping your suitcase comes out onto the conveyor 😎

1st through immigration and Passport control before the lines start getting backed up.

Nancy 🍷🍹

We are the same way! Just returned from London with my son. Took 1 carryon and 2 backpacks. So much easier to us!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, eem0924 said:

We did get our missing suitcase back, but it was very stressful.

Replaced the black suitcase with something flashier with the hopes that no one will mistake it for theirs again.

Good choice.  You should never, ever buy a black (or navy) suitcase!  If it's all you have, decorate it with duct tape and a bandana on the handle.  A piddly little ID tag isn't enough.  Alternately, you can buy stretchy suitcase covers (from Amazon) that'll protect your suitcase + make it bright and easy to spot.  

Personally, we own three suitcases:  Olive green, Rust, and Rose Gold Pink.  They all stand out in a crowd.  

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Good choice.  You should never, ever buy a black (or navy) suitcase!  If it's all you have, decorate it with duct tape and a bandana on the handle.  A piddly little ID tag isn't enough.  Alternately, you can buy stretchy suitcase covers (from Amazon) that'll protect your suitcase + make it bright and easy to spot.  

Personally, we own three suitcases:  Olive green, Rust, and Rose Gold Pink.  They all stand out in a crowd.  

We have black suitcases but I have put bright orange tape on all of the handles. I can't imagine anyone saying "hmm, how did this orange tape get put on the handles of my suitcase?".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

We have black suitcases but I have put bright orange tape on all of the handles. I can't imagine anyone saying "hmm, how did this orange tape get put on the handles of my suitcase?".

I use orange electrical tape on all the handles too. I might have one of your bags. I knew it was not mine when it had all of the money it.

😇

• Haha 1

I only buy black luggage since to me it looks more professional when travelling on business to have matching luggage. 

I made fabric handle wraps out of fabric I bought on an Alaskan cruise. Each handle wrap has a bright orange strip. Each family unit has a different main fabric. This way when we go on a big family cruise with 12 people anyone can identify which luggage belongs to the family and pull it off the luggage belt but when we get on the ship each main fabric identifies which cabin it goes to. I like systems and organization even when travelling.

4 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

I only buy black luggage since to me it looks more professional when travelling on business to have matching luggage. 

I made fabric handle wraps out of fabric I bought on an Alaskan cruise. Each handle wrap has a bright orange strip. Each family unit has a different main fabric. This way when we go on a big family cruise with 12 people anyone can identify which luggage belongs to the family and pull it off the luggage belt but when we get on the ship each main fabric identifies which cabin it goes to. I like systems and organization even when travelling.

Great! Let's all put orange tape on our black case handles. 😉

• Haha 2

Yes that is what my family do... we only take carry on. We walk on the ship with the carry ons and we have them with us until the room is available  which is usually very soon after we board so it is not usually a problem. Most people do put their bags with porter but it is just not something we do.

we usually go to windjammer and one of us sit at table with our luggage while the other goes for food then  I go and get my food so someone is always with our luggage

If you choose to do this you won't have any issues

enjoy

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 4:55 AM, cruiselvr04 said:

I applaud anyone who can pack for more than 4 days in a carry on. I can not especially on a cruise when I like to dress for dinner.  

LOL my friend always says that to me...she doesnt know how I can fit all my stuff into carry on but I do it everytime. I always have a different dress every night and all my swim wear and  day dresses too .... I just make sure that dresses I take will go with my shoes I take ... that is the part where I cut down on but I usually have enough for 2 dresses wedge sandals (wear one to airport) with flip flops and a pair flat sandals.. yes id like to take more shoes but that is my compromise as I dont want my case going missing so only take carry on... it helps if your airline lets you take carry one + a hand bag .. but my friend can never get how I manage it.  

On 1/25/2024 at 1:31 PM, SoloAlaska said:

Interesting thought -- it's never occurred to me. 

I can see you might not want a Mickey-Mouse themed suitcase, but I don't think my olive-green or rust-colored suitcases would look unprofessional.  

7 hours ago, life is to be happy said:

we usually go to windjammer and one of us sit at table with our luggage while the other goes for food then  I go and get my food so someone is always with our luggage

Yep, we do the same. 

6 hours ago, life is to be happy said:

LOL my friend always says that to me...she doesnt know how I can fit all my stuff into carry on but I do it everytime. I always have a different dress every night and all my swim wear and  day dresses too .... I just make sure that dresses I take will go with my shoes I take ... that is the part where I cut down on but I usually have enough for 2 dresses wedge sandals (wear one to airport) with flip flops and a pair flat sandals.. yes id like to take more shoes but that is my compromise as I dont want my case going missing so only take carry on... it helps if your airline lets you take carry one + a hand bag .. but my friend can never get how I manage it.  

Yes, my husband and I can share a carry-on for 3-4 days, and a carry-on is enough for me for a week.  How?  

- I choose shoes that work with many outfits. 

- I am small, so my stuff packs small -- and I can fold things small like you wouldn't believe.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yes, my husband and I can share a carry-on for 3-4 days, and a carry-on is enough for me for a week.  How?  

- I choose shoes that work with many outfits. 

- I am small, so my stuff packs small -- and I can fold things small like you wouldn't believe.  

I have found that rolling (as opposed to folding) my clothes makes a huge difference in how much I can pack.

• Like 1

Always do - we do not head to the buffet, instead find a spot on the promenade. (Outdoor deck) or pool area where we are out of the way.  We also do not rush onboard instead look for noon or so arrival time as there is almost no line.  Once rooms are cleared we head in, unpack quickly and start our vacation exploring the ship or making dining reservations.

• Like 1

I like to check my carry-on with the porters and then roll off self-carry for departure. I have a small day bag for essentials too. This is only for short cruises. Anything more than 4 nights I definitely bring my big suitcase.

On 1/29/2024 at 10:34 AM, cruiseguy1016 said:

I have found that rolling (as opposed to folding) my clothes makes a huge difference in how much I can pack.

I've started folding like Marie Kondo (at home and on vacation).  It makes a difference in how much fits in a suitcase, and it keeps the items from "shuffling around" and becoming wrinkly. 

It's not a whole lot different from rolling.  

On 1/25/2024 at 8:52 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

Good choice.  You should never, ever buy a black (or navy) suitcase! 

Purple!! Always purple bags for us.  And always a photo so if it's lost I whip out the phone "It looked like this."  And we have a massive hockey equipment bag for the used clothes - not gonna spend time folding up the dirties so they fit.  

I was at the baggage claim one time and I swear it was Milton from "Office Space"  "This black bag is not my black bag, my black bag is a different black bag..." 

Sorry folks, I'm at the diametric opposite end of this thread.  Relaxing on a cruise is having the porters get the luggage to the ship, and having enough clothes that we don't have to have each outfit planned for the entire week (or more!!!). The only time I worry is if there's a flight involved, and even then only if we're in danger of more than two bags each. 

When we were on a 13-nighter there was a woman who I don't think brought any other clothing than her swimsuit.  Not even a coverup.  Wore that same one everywhere.  No prizes were awarded for the lack of luggage she brought.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MichaelCMTX said:

Purple!! Always purple bags for us.  And always a photo so if it's lost I whip out the phone "It looked like this."  And we have a massive hockey equipment bag for the used clothes - not gonna spend time folding up the dirties so they fit.  

I was at the baggage claim one time and I swear it was Milton from "Office Space"  "This black bag is not my black bag, my black bag is a different black bag..." 

Sorry folks, I'm at the diametric opposite end of this thread.  Relaxing on a cruise is having the porters get the luggage to the ship, and having enough clothes that we don't have to have each outfit planned for the entire week (or more!!!). The only time I worry is if there's a flight involved, and even then only if we're in danger of more than two bags each. 

When we were on a 13-nighter there was a woman who I don't think brought any other clothing than her swimsuit.  Not even a coverup.  Wore that same one everywhere.  No prizes were awarded for the lack of luggage she brought.

Some of us always have a flight to get to a cruise port. I’ve had enough lost luggage since the restart and luggage fees are bordering on absurd now. Carry on only isn’t for everyone but it’s very possible for some of us to be happy with. The woman with just swimsuits honestly probably only needed her purse. It’s not that hard to fit a weeks worth of clothing in a carry on and send out laundry if your out longer. If your at home you’ll do laundry regularly and sending it out on the ship is cheaper than paying for luggage with the airline.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Purple!! Always purple bags for us.  And always a photo so if it's lost I whip out the phone "It looked like this."  

Purple will certainly stand out, and taking a picture is a good idea. 

Did you see her in the buffet or the MDR?  

Everyone has their definition of "stress".  Some think that's lugging your overpacked luggage all over the ship, other it's worrying at 6pm that your luggage hasn't shown up.

And we unpack our stuff 100% when we board, since we get on the ship at 1pm.  And then we are free to wander the ship, plan dinner and shows, and not worry about anything.

Let alone the freedom of way to many things to wear and spending an extra hour to change back and forth between things.

To each, their own.

• Like 1

On my last cruise I had a large suitcase, a carryon and a backpack.  My large suitcase, on the airport scale, came in at 49.6 lbs LOL. I can't imagine scaling back to a carryon. 

• Like 3