Roll Calls and Social Media

realnice46

8 minutes ago, AndyCapn said:

I assure you there are many accounts on that Social Media site that are not using their real name.

Thanks. I'm aware, but many don't give it a thought when they post on social media. Many people also don't set their privacy settings. CC offers a lot of good info and seems to attract many more experienced cruisers who have excellent info to share IMHO.

I think one of the reasons CC prevents TA mentions is because you'd otherwise have most of the posts be ads for people trying to get you to book with them.   As already mentioned, a lot of those FB ones are moderated by individual TAs who are controlling what you see and who is allowed to post in addition to building client leads.

6 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

I think one of the reasons CC prevents TA mentions is because you'd otherwise have most of the posts be ads for people trying to get you to book with them.   As already mentioned, a lot of those FB ones are moderated by individual TAs who are controlling what you see and who is allowed to post in addition to building client leads.

Haven’t noticed that on the roll calls I have been on since the restart

Roll calls that run by travel agents have been limited to their clients 

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Agree.... I remember setting up a Roll Call 23 years ago.  While there were not as many participants everyone was very active and We had a party in our RS for about 30.   For some reason that Roll Call all the participants really became close both before and after the cruise.     I look back to those days with fondness.

While CC doesn't permit us to discuss TA (even back in the Good Old Days) there are ways to communicate outside the restrictions and I receive a couple emails a week from people asking for a reference. 

Having said that I'm surprised at how many personal e-mail I receive when doing a Live Post from people that respond to something I say.   All too many no longer post on CC or Facebook because of being attacked, demeaned and insulted by others and now refuse to post publicly. 

I found a lot of truth in your last sentence.  I've been attacked (directly and indirectly) here on CC, interestingly as both a Celebrity cheer leader and a complainer. Don't know how I can be both lol. But other sites like FB can be so much more vicious. I've probably blocked at least a dozen or more people. Just blocked someone today who literally argued with everything I've ever posted on a site of which we both belong. First I got roped into defending myself until I asked myself the question,  "why???". A person who obviously just wants to cause trouble is just not worth the effort.  There are a couple good sites moderated well. But sometimes the "roll call" type can really get out of hand. 

HMMM..interesting..

Someone on our CC  roll call just posted an invite to an event announced on FB...not sure if it's  being friendly or poaching???  We are not going,, sticking with our roll call events! We have made connections with our roll call group..fb are unknown?????

1 hour ago, hcat said:

HMMM..interesting..

Someone on our CC  roll call just posted an invite to an event announced on FB...not sure if it's  being friendly or poaching???  We are not going,, sticking with our roll call events! We have made connections with our roll call group..fb are unknown?????

Have seen this issue on a couple of our CC Roll Calls.  Somebody from another forum, not apparently meaning any harm, will "party crash" a CC arranged event on board.  Makes if difficult for the folks coordinating to know how many people to expect.

Well, at least they are not a bunch of uninvited highschoolers coming to your kid's party while you're away on a cruise.  Party crashing has become a significant thing because of social media now.

Edited by Travelling2Some

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I found a lot of truth in your last sentence.  I've been attacked (directly and indirectly) here on CC, interestingly as both a Celebrity cheer leader and a complainer. Don't know how I can be both lol. But other sites like FB can be so much more vicious. I've probably blocked at least a dozen or more people. Just blocked someone today who literally argued with everything I've ever posted on a site of which we both belong. First I got roped into defending myself until I asked myself the question,  "why???". A person who obviously just wants to cause trouble is just not worth the effort.  There are a couple good sites moderated well. But sometimes the "roll call" type can really get out of hand. 

Funny thing is it is not isolated to Celebrity.     I've recently been hanging out on Oceania forum a bit and some one wrote me recently --- I though Celebrity had a tough crowds some of these people are just down right nasty.     Like you when I find a person on CC or FB that I find offensive I either put them on my ignore list (cc) or Ban list  (FB).  

You may notice that I try to always stay above the Frey and just move on -   life is far to short to waste time arguing with someone who's intent is to disrupt.  

• Like 5

I use both and for different lines. I have noticed the roll calls on the other popular social media site become a lot more popular in recent times though. They are also a lot more 'live' with onboard events sometimes being discussed immediately by many members. 

I've also seen a large number of TA's create social media groups relating to cruise lines and individual sailings. In my opinion this is not a good thing at all I've seen members banned as they posted negatively about a cruise line and the TA saw this as a threat to their business. 

This is why I prefer CC over FB. The discussion is a lot more balanced. 

5 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

Thanks. I'm aware, but many don't give it a thought when they post on social media. Many people also don't set their privacy settings.

Real names, no privacy settings used . . . This is the MO of several naive in-laws who seem oblivious that we have an unusual, easily googled, last name!

We are so grateful to Cruise Critic's Roll Calls for so many friendships that wouldn't have occurred had social media been our only source of connection.

@realnice46

I know we have cruised together- most recently on the Eclipse around the Horn in 2019? Thanks to the roll call, we shared several adventures together on that cruise and the Silhouette in 2013? And I recall sending my undrunk bottles of wine back with you since we couldn't fly home with them!

Just earlier this week, we were contacted by a couple @Milhouse who'd shared private shore excursions with us way back on our 2nd Celebrity cruise in 2011. They've offered to give us a tour in Vancouver before we fly out after our upcoming Summit sailing.

Prior to our Alaska cruise in 2021, one of our British Isles 2016 roll call stalwarts @DrKoob gave us a tour of Seattle and we had a wonderful dinner together with him and his wife!

In 2013 we were skiing in Colorado and a couple from the Roll Call for that 2013 cruise invited us to their annual Souper Bowl gathering in Breckenridge. We arrived as strangers and were welcomed by their group of longtime friends.

In 2011, a roll call friend @quanmama from a future European cruise in 2012 invited my girlfriends and me to experience a genuine SF dim sum lunch. Thank goodness Rebecca is fluent in Chinese and handled the menu for us.

We've maintained friendships with Duncan and Elaine from the UK, whom we met thanks to the roll call and included us in the private tour of Ephesus they'd arranged on our 2012 cruise. Since then, we've met in Yorkshire England, had breakfast together in Sydney, and toured Coventry together on another trip to the UK.

We have a group of folks that we developed and maintained friendships with thanks to @4774Papa who organized a Murder Mystery at Sea on our 2017 Eclipse TA.

We are looking forward to our NE cruise where we will sail again with @Traveling Library!

Thanks Cruise Critic for Roll Calls!

Edited by TMLAalum
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

We are so grateful to Cruise Critic's Roll Calls for so many friendships that wouldn't have occurred had social media been our only source of connection.

@realnice46

I know we have cruised together- most recently on the Eclipse around the Horn in 2019? Thanks to the roll call, we shared several adventures together on that cruise and the Silhouette in 2013? And I recall sending my undrunk bottles of wine back with you since we couldn't fly home with them!

Just earlier this week, we were contacted by a couple @Milhouse who'd shared private shore excursions with us way back on our 2nd Celebrity cruise in 2011. They've offered to give us a tour in Vancouver before we fly out after our upcoming Summit sailing.

Prior to our Alaska cruise in 2021, one of our British Isles 2016 roll call stalwarts @DrKoob gave us a tour of Seattle and we had a wonderful dinner together with him and his wife!

In 2013 we were skiing in Colorado and a couple from the Roll Call for that 2013 cruise invited us to their annual Souper Bowl gathering in Breckenridge. We arrived as strangers and were welcomed by their group of longtime friends.

In 2011, a roll call friend @quanmama from a future European cruise in 2012 invited my girlfriends and me to experience a genuine SF dim sum lunch. Thank goodness Rebecca is fluent in Chinese and handled the menu for us.

We've maintained friendships with Duncan and Elaine from the UK, whom we met thanks to the roll call and included us in the private tour of Ephesus they'd arranged on our 2012 cruise. Since then, we've met in Yorkshire England, had breakfast together in Sydney, and toured Coventry together on another trip to the UK.

We have a group of folks that we developed and maintained friendships with thanks to @4774Papa who organized a Murder Mystery at Sea on our 2017 Eclipse TA.

We are looking forward to our NE cruise where we will sail again with @Traveling Library!

Thanks Cruise Critic for Roll Calls!

We used CC to arrange tours, meet others and organize the Murder Mystery.  Since our last Galapagos Celebrity cruise in 2022 haven't cruises.  Instead, we are doing tours with Gate 1 Travel.   

22 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Also roll calls seem a little different before the COVID shutdown and now.

My viewpoint on this... between 2019 and now, there have been some... controversies... that have occurred involving the social media sites that have many of my friends to become less active, if not go entirely "radio silent" on the social media sites. This also affected the web forums as people went less active. I personally deleted my Facebook and Twitter accounts during this time as well, and set up a new, minimal presence on Twitter. 

22 minutes ago, Z'Loth said:

My viewpoint on this... between 2019 and now, there have been some... controversies... that have occurred involving the social media sites that have many of my friends to become less active, if not go entirely "radio silent" on the social media sites. This also affected the web forums as people went less active. I personally deleted my Facebook and Twitter accounts during this time as well, and set up a new, minimal presence on Twitter. 

That hadn't even occurred to me......