MSC's Yacht club Top Sail lounge has sunk to a new low temporarily

mscdivina2016

Got of the Seashore this past Sunday.

It has always been great in the Top Sail.  Despite all of my issues, I love the product, but every now and then I am left shaking my head.

On a sea day, I was in the Top sail playing cards right next to the stair case going up to the restaurant on the left side mid afternoon in order to stay out of the sun,  when a guy came in with a Guitar and an Ipad.  He proceeded to sit up front of the stair case and began playing music on the ipad, playing his guitar, and singing 😱.

I spoke to the servers and they told me it was allowed????

I ended up having to move to the far other side into the sun just to escape it. It was the Olive garden music over run with religious songs and other songs.

I looked up online and I did not see it as a prohibited item. I ended up speaking to the YC Manager and she told me it absolutely was not allowed nor was the personal music device without headphones,and did I know their cabin number.  I told her that is not my job but her staffs job to deal with that. She told me if it happens again to ask for her.  I told her no, that puts me in an odd position and that its her job to notify her staff that if it happens again to take care of it. She said she will address it to all later which she did as a server, did come over to me and apologized later.

How did it even get on board?

Decent cruise, Embarkation was good, disembarkation was not smooth using self assist as hundreds of passengers were already ahead of us despite being first group off of YC.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

MSC's Yacht club Top Sail lounge has sunk to a new low temporarily

One inconsiderate Yacht Club guest ≠ Top Sail Lounge sinking to a new low. 

There was a problem.

You brought it to the right person's attention (thank you, btw).

The problem was addressed and (we guess) it didn't happen again and (we hope) it won't happen in the future.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Temporarily!

Happened mid afternoon, spoke with YC manager 8 hours later when I saw her. Why 8 hours later? I already spoke to the staff and was told its allowed.  When I saw YC manager is when I double questioned it.  It seemed wrong.  Still wrecked a wonderful sea day afternoon in the wonderful Top sail lounge.

Gutiar sinks Top Sail Lounge, should have been the title. 

In unusual situations, staff do not have guidance so can come up with the wrong answer. You did the correct thing but it is a one-off occurrence. I can't see security or in reality, the contractor that is checking the contents of bags checked or carried on banning a guitar. What danger does it present?

Distribing guests is the issue as you posted be it a musical instrument or a portable video game and you would report it the same way you did. 

I could post about an unsupervised child running around the Top Sail Lounge numerous times including on the shelf by the windows back and forth the entire length. The guardian of the child, a big tipper (I saw hip tipping) had the staff seem to supervise the child, now that "sunk to a new low" and it wasn't temporary but the entire cruise. 

I'm scheduled for my first MSC Cruise in mid-February, and will be in the Yacht Club.   If this is the worst complaint that someone has, then overall the YC must be excellent!   I'm not looking forward to it even more.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ScottNC said:

I'm scheduled for my first MSC Cruise in mid-February, and will be in the Yacht Club.   If this is the worst complaint that someone has, then overall the YC must be excellent!   I'm not looking forward to it even more.

It is excellent.  Just stupidity overall.

One person wrecks it for many others and the crew does nothing about it.

The cracks from other people sitting near me were pretty funny

After I moved.

Enjoy. 

7 hours ago, ScottNC said:

YC is excellent 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On Seascape, there was a talented YC guest who would play a few pre-dinner songs on the piano, prior to the scheduled musicians.  Everyone loved it.  He didn't sing though, and he didn't overstay his welcome. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

You keep saying staff didn't do their job, but it seems they did....  I don't even want to be up on YC level if people are as stuffy as you are over a guy strumming a guitar

I certainly would not have handled it in the same way as the OP, but I'd have to agree that it is unacceptable for a guest to just wander into a shared space and start playing whatever he brought with him, be it an instrument or the speaker on his phone...

I have known talented guests to offer their services to the ship and when approved there is no problem with that in place of the normal entertainment offered in that space, but it isn't OK to just set up and make noise in what is otherwise a relaxing space for all YC guests to enjoy.

Not just a YC issue either as this applies to all shared spaces around the ship.

Edited by Mark_T
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mark_T said:

I have known talented guests to offer their services to the ship and when approved there is no problem with that in place of the normal entertainment offered in that space, but it isn't OK to just set up and make noise in what is otherwise a relaxing space for all YC guests to enjoy.

Not just a YC issue either as this applies to all shared spaces around the ship.

Exactly.

Restaurants, Airports, Ships....

Not everyone thinks your kids are cute or hold the same opinion of "talent".

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

You keep saying staff didn't do their job, but it seems they did....  I don't even want to be up on YC level if people are as stuffy as you are over a guy strumming a guitar

The staff did not do their job. Several hours later I brought it to the attention of the YC director.

When I spoke to the staff member the next day they told me they are instructed to not say no to things.

So to give you a little more info, I asked that staff member if later in the day I came into top sail and lit up a cigarette would they tell me to put it out? He said yes. Both are not allowed but apparently they pick and choose.

So if you think a personal music device, a guitar, and singing religious songs that could be heard across the top sail is acceptable I am glad I will be sailing with the other stuffy people.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mscdivina2016 said:

You shouldn't need them. 

I use them all the time.  It makes life much easier and people less aggravating.  Especially on cruise ships, airplanes, and gyms.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Not everyone thinks your kids are cute.

11 hours ago, Mark_T said:

but it isn't OK to just set up and make noise in what is otherwise a relaxing space for all YC guests to enjoy.

We've been home from our cruise for almost three months and it has pained me to keep quiet about this, but given this topic as an opening, I can no longer resist commenting about our experience in YC.  We had a wonderful Bellissima cruise pre-Covid and suffered thru endless cruise cancellations during Covid until finally getting to sail in the Med in October - where we found YC to be loaded with kids, unlike our previous relaxing experience in YC on Bellissima.  I know school vacations are different in different parts of the world so I expected if our timing wasn't good that there might be kids around ages 5-14, but these were BABIES.  Infants.  And lots of them.  On the days we could laugh about it, we joked they and their mothers were discharged from the delivery room directly to the YC boarding tent.  We pretty much lost the use of our balcony because of the screaming babies in cabins with their balcony doors open, OR screaming babies ON the balcony (hopefully in the arms of an adult).  We could not escape the screaming on some days and obviously it had to affect other passengers as well.  Gone were hours relaxing with a good book on the balcony.  Gone were quiet dinners in the YC dining room.   We did book a future cruise while on board, but if our future experience is the same as this one, that will probably be our last MSC cruise and our last YC experience.    I'm not sure if we would have preferred the guitar in Top Sail but I think possibly we would have because we could have left and gone back to our cabin and taken a chance the babies were asleep.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kids can happen on any cruise...(just cc search, you will find many complaints about kids running amok but that's another debate for another time)

I'm assuming more on MSC because on some of their ships/itineraries kids are charge very low or just port charges.

31 minutes ago, xcell said:

Kids can happen on any cruise...(just cc search, you will find many complaints about kids running amok but that's another debate for another time)

I'm assuming more on MSC because on some of their ships/itineraries kids are charge very low or just port charges.

But also on other cruise lines Kids/Teens are for free oder just for the port fees. Our next NCL Cruise is also so.

In YC we, as a family with 2 teens, have a lot of good experience with other families, but on the last Meraviglia YC Cruise there was a family in the cabin next door. They are so loud, jumping in the room, crying on the balcony etc. so we changed cabins to an other part in the YC. It was not supportable in our cabin to relax or to sleep.

It was a family with small children and we spoke with them, but they don't wan't to unterstand us, and we have the same mother language.... the say: we paid for YC, so we can do what we wan't and they don't want do unterstand English from the YC Manager. It was a really bad experience... never again please.

21 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

The staff did not do their job. Several hours later I brought it to the attention of the YC director.

When I spoke to the staff member the next day they told me they are instructed to not say no to things.

So to give you a little more info, I asked that staff member if later in the day I came into top sail and lit up a cigarette would they tell me to put it out? He said yes. Both are not allowed but apparently they pick and choose.

So if you think a personal music device, a guitar, and singing religious songs that could be heard across the top sail is acceptable I am glad I will be sailing with the other stuffy people.

You keep bringing up that fact that he was singing religious songs. Would it have been more tolerable if he sang Broadway showtunes or 60's folk rock ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, NYcruzzer said:

You keep bringing up that fact that he was singing religious songs. Would it have been more tolerable if he sang Broadway showtunes or 60's folk rock ?

Yes it would have.  Some people don't like songs about booze, others drugs. Some people have family demons

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Yes it would have.  Some people don't like songs about booze, others drugs. Some people have family demons

Yes, I hope the person wasn't singing Frank Loesser's 1944 "Baby, It's Cold Outside"

• Haha 3

On 1/24/2024 at 5:38 AM, xcell said:

Not on Virgin.

Not on Viking.

Not on many lines.  Which is why I tend to sail on those lines.

• Like 1