Charter cruises

esimon

Charter cruises do not show up as being available on the cruise company's web site as the entire ship is "chartered" to one client.  Are you perhaps thinking of how to identify a "group" cruise where only a portion of the ship has been reserved for a group?

• Like 2

Looking to book a cruise in 2025 that is currently going to be a charter. If the charter falls through, they’ll open it up to passengers, but I’m wondering what the group might be. Not too many groups that would keep me from sailing on a ship, but there are some just curious

3 hours ago, esimon said:

Looking to book a cruise in 2025 that is currently going to be a charter. If the charter falls through, they’ll open it up to passengers, but I’m wondering what the group might be. Not too many groups that would keep me from sailing on a ship, but there are some just curious

How do you know its going to be a charter? If it's a charter, they will, in fact, keep you off the ship, if you don't book through them, under their rules.

The thread referenced in post #2 will list the group when it is determined.  Monitor that, and you can decide if you want to sail with them.

On 1/22/2024 at 12:14 PM, kelliebiz said:

Looking at Feb 25, I’d hate to show up to The Big Nude Boat by accident 🤣

but, won’t happen since they charter the whole ship and the sailing doesn’t show up at all on HAL’s website. 

Do you think that there is an upper age limit for this cruise (asking for a friend)?

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, colbe said:

Do you think that there is an upper age limit for this cruise (asking for a friend)?

I think those in the upper age limits may feel more comfortable in their skin and be more likely to let it fly! 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, esimon said:

Looking to book a cruise in 2025 that is currently going to be a charter.

I don't follow your comment.  Which specific dates and ship are you looking to book? Which Charter is it?  The only way to book it is to go to the organiser's website.  

• Like 1

OK everybody can relax now I understand chartered cruises. I’m not trying to get on one. I’m trying to book in 2025 on a specific ship, that is currently chartered and I can’t get on it. My travel agent has informed me of this, so I’m not just making stuff up. If the charter doesn’t go through completely, they will open up spots on that ship. And I might want to book one. So I was wondering how to find out what the rest of the ship might be. that should end this chat thank you very much 

2 hours ago, esimon said:

If the charter doesn’t go through completely, they will open up spots on that ship.

Who is 'They'?

The only people who will sell places on a charter is the charterer or the appointed selling agents.  HAL will not sell them.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Who is 'They'?

The only people who will sell places on a charter is the charterer or the appointed selling agents.  HAL will not sell them.  

Oh my God you don’t stop. If they don’t sell out the ship, they being the people who are planning the charter, they will give what’s left to HAL to sell. Or can the charter.  They the people who are doing the charter.

46 minutes ago, esimon said:

Oh my God you don’t stop. If they don’t sell out the ship, they being the people who are planning the charter, they will give what’s left to HAL to sell. Or can the charter.  They the people who are doing the charter.

I think you misunderstand.  The chartering company/organizer pays the cruise company a flat fee for the ship and then sells cabins at an inflated rate.  They do not give cabins back to the cruise line.  If the charter is selling poorly, they might cancel the whole thing.  
A,so, a few years ago there was a thread about the definition of charter, and it seems they can have a charter without booking the whole ship.  EM

On 1/22/2024 at 8:55 AM, esimon said:

Any way to identify a chartered cruise?

20 hours ago, esimon said:

7 hours ago, esimon said:

OK everybody can relax now I understand chartered cruises. I’m not trying to get on one. I’m trying to book in 2025 on a specific ship, that is currently chartered and I can’t get on it. My travel agent has informed me of this, so I’m not just making stuff up. If the charter doesn’t go through completely, they will open up spots on that ship. And I might want to book one. So I was wondering how to find out what the rest of the ship might be. that should end this chat thank you very much 

4 hours ago, esimon said:

You have asked a question and given us no information to really base an answer on. The two resources listed in posts 2 & 3 give known Ship Charters. If you would give us the date and ship we may be able to give you additional information.

As far as the Charter itself, the Chartering Agency owns the ship for that cruise. If the cruise is not fully sold, HAL will not get the cabins back. The Charter Agency will enlist other big booking agencies to sell the additional cabins, or leave them empty. If the Charter is cancelled, any cabins sold as part of the Charter are canceled as well and any special entertainment is also canceled so that won't be a consideration.

The only way HAL, or other agencies, will sell a cabin is if a large Group is on the cruise which may effect your enjoyment of the cruise. Those Groups that are identified by the link in post #2 are the only ones known, but others may exist.

If we knew the Ship and Date we may be able to get more information.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 3

It seems like OP is confusing a charter booking with a large group booking.  With a large group booking HAL may indeed offer cabins to the public as large groups don't need every cabin on the ship.    With a charter though a group books the entire ship.  The only way to travel on the ship during a charter is to book a cabin through the group that has chartered the ship.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, esimon said:

Good luck with that 😉

10 hours ago, esimon said:

Wow. Why ask a question if you don’t want to read answers? People trying to help have stated more info would help them answer you.

If a ship is chartered, HAL cannot sell any empty cabins. You have to join the charter and book a cabin through the company that chartered the ship. Just pick a different date if you don’t want to do that. I think you are confusing this with a group that buys a bunch of cabins and socializes together in the midst of a regular sailing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I read all of the answers. Thank you very much to everyone who answered. I didn’t explain the situation. Well you don’t understand the complete situation I said thank you very much. Thank you very much and I’m done.

On 1/22/2024 at 6:49 PM, esimon said:

By the time an itinerary is removed from inventory, the charter is pretty much confirmed and the contract signed. Highly unlikely that it will not happen. 

19 hours ago, esimon said:

I read all of the answers. Thank you very much to everyone who answered. I didn’t explain the situation. Well you don’t understand the complete situation I said thank you very much. Thank you very much and I’m done.

In my best Maggie Smith: “Oh I like her.”

• 2 weeks later...

On the list of charter cruises that was supplied for 2024 you will find that most of those are run (and sold) by a few production companies. I have reserved a cruise in Jan 2025 on Nieuw Amsterdam with one of them and their 2025 dates are easily found by looking at their websites for the 2024 cruises. Sixthman, Star Vista Live, Inspiration cruises are a few.

• 4 weeks later...