Sun Princess Inaugural 2/8/24 cruise canceled

Host CJSKIDS

I so feel for those who were scheduled on this sailing as they received this today.  3 weeks to process a refund stinks!

Dear Valued Princess Guest,

We hope this message finds you well. We are writing to share an important update regarding the delivery and launch of our highly anticipated Sun Princess® ship.

Our dedicated teams have been working tirelessly in collaboration with our shipyard partners at Fincantieri to ensure the completion of the revolutionary Sun Princess®. However, despite everyone’s best efforts, Fincantieri and Princess have mutually agreed to delay delivery of the ship, which unfortunately requires us to cancel the inaugural cruise scheduled for February 8.

We understand that this news is disappointing, and we share in your disappointment. We recognize the anticipation that surrounded this sailing, and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this cancellation causes.

You will receive a full refund of the cruise fare along with any additional onboard services that were pre-purchased, as well as a 50% future cruise credit (FCC) that can be used on a future Princess® voyage. Rest assured, your booking will be automatically canceled, and you do not need to take any action to initiate the refund process. Your refund will be processed within three weeks and credited back to your original form of payment, and your FCC will be automatically added to your account.

Furthermore, we understand that changes to your air travel plans may be necessary. To ease this process, we are prepared to provide you with up to $200 per guest to cover change fees related to your flights. We kindly request that you provide any documentation of the fees by using this link: http://princess.com/refund-request

We understand the inconvenience and frustration that this news may bring, and we sincerely apologize for the disruption to your travel plans. We are committed to ensuring that your future experiences with Princess Cruises are nothing short of extraordinary.

We genuinely hope that you will consider joining us on another Sun Princess® voyage, where we promise to provide you with an unforgettable journey filled with adventure, relaxation, and cherished memories.

Once again, we extend our deepest apologies for the inconvenience this situation has caused and thank you for your understanding and continued support.

Sincerely,
John Padgett
President

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

• Host CJSKIDS changed the title to Sun Princess Inaugural 2/8/24 cruise canceled

Wow, they are cutting this news close.  I wonder if they will be able to proceed with the following cruise.  I sure hope if they don't that they give folks who are booked better notice than this.  Timely communication was never a strong point for Princess but it just seems like it has continued to deteriorate.

• Like 5

Must be so disappointing for those on the inaugural.  There was no mention of a delivery date so I’m guessing it may impact more cruises.  

glad I’m not sailing on her until September 2025. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

I had been hearing "rumblings" from a few of our Princess inside sources that this was coming.  They just might cancel a couple more???  

Friend on board a Princess ship now, just told me she heard it maybe delayed- heard last Oct.

So sorry for those booked

Edited by dog
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

I had been hearing "rumblings" from a few of our Princess inside sources that this was coming.  They just might cancel a couple more???  

I wonder if they will.

I know some of the crew have been there for a couple of weeks.  So I was hoping for those who had booked that it would indeed still be a go. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

I wonder if they will.

I know some of the crew have been there for a couple of weeks.  So I was hoping for those who had booked that it would indeed still be a go. 

Junela?

Well this is embarrassing. 🤯 I can’t even begin to imagine what those booked on her inaugural - and for that matter any sailing in February - must be going through right now. Just…wow. 😢

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

I was hoping for those who had booked that it would indeed still be a go. 

Currently the ship is showing "Sold Out" until the March 29th sailing.  Not a good sign. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sad however, according to the recent pictures last month there was no way they were going to meet this deadline. I feel sorry for the guest as their hopes were so high. The question now is the next cruise scheduled Feb.18. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LACruiser88 said:

Currently the ship is showing "Sold Out" until the March 29th sailing.  Not a good sign. 🤷‍♂️

They won’t be able to rebook at all. 

• Like 1

SEE POINTS 4, 5 & 7 

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Sun Princess Ship Delay Announcement

1. Why is Princess cancelling the inaugural Sun Princess voyage? What voyages are affected by the delay?

Answer: Our dedicated teams have been working tirelessly in collaboration with our shipyard partners at Fincantieri to ensure the completion of the revolutionary Sun Princess. However, despite everyone’s best efforts, Fincantieri and Princess have mutually agreed to delay delivery of the ship which unfortunately requires us to cancel the inaugural cruise scheduled for February 8.

2. What are you doing for guests who were booked on this inaugural voyage?

Answer: Guests who were booked on the inaugural voyage that has been cancelled will receive a full refund of the cruise fare and any optional onboard services that were purchased for the cruise, along with 50% future cruise credit (*FCC must be booked by November 30, 2024 and sailed by December 31, 2025).  Bookings are being automatically cancelled and there is no need for guests to take any action. All refunds will be processed within three weeks to the original form of payment. 

Guests will also receive up to $200 per person for change fees related to air travel plans.  Guests should use this link to provide documentation of their airfare change fees - http://princess.com/refund-request

3. Will travel agency commissions be protected?

Answer: Yes, we will protect travel agency commissions. The delay was not caused by our travel agency partners, and they should be duly rewarded for their hard work and support, and it is only fair that we safeguard their commissions for the bookings they secured for this inaugural voyage.

4. Why are you just now announcing the delay so close to the original launch date? Why didn't you communicate this sooner?

Answer: Princess Cruises has just received notification from the shipyard about the delay. The shift in date of the maiden voyage is due to unforeseen challenges and delays encountered at the shipyard, where our shipbuilding partners at Fincantieri faced unexpected challenges. They are working to resolve these issues and expedite final preparations. We share in our guests’ frustration and appreciate their patience. We apologize for this unfortunate delay. 

5. When will the Sun Princess maiden voyage now take place?

Answer: The only voyage that has been cancelled due to the delayed delivery of the ship is the cruise departing Barcelona on Feb 8.

6. Do guests booked on the cancelled voyage need to call in to get their refund?

Answer: No. Booking will be automatically canceled and guests do not need to take any action to initiate the refund process.  Refund will be processed within three weeks and credited back to the original form of payment, and FCCs will be automatically added to guest accounts.

7. Are any other voyages at risk?

Answer: The current delivery delay only impacts the Feb 8 inaugural voyage.

• Like 1

I’m on the 2/18 sailing. I really have no hope that it will go as scheduled but I wish Princess would go ahead and say so other plans can be made. This is very disappointing and may put me off Princess. I heard at least a month or two ago that it wouldn’t be ready but they stalled in telling people. And what they are offering as compensation is not nearly enough. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

And they will.  Must guess Feb. 18 is at risk of being cancel also. I hope I’m wrong. When I saw all those turns (sea trails) last week, I had a funny feeling that something was wrong (maybe)   

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, cruisedoctor said:

SEE POINTS 4, 5 & 7 

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Sun Princess Ship Delay Announcement

1. Why is Princess cancelling the inaugural Sun Princess voyage? What voyages are affected by the delay?

Answer: Our dedicated teams have been working tirelessly in collaboration with our shipyard partners at Fincantieri to ensure the completion of the revolutionary Sun Princess. However, despite everyone’s best efforts, Fincantieri and Princess have mutually agreed to delay delivery of the ship which unfortunately requires us to cancel the inaugural cruise scheduled for February 8.

2. What are you doing for guests who were booked on this inaugural voyage?

Answer: Guests who were booked on the inaugural voyage that has been cancelled will receive a full refund of the cruise fare and any optional onboard services that were purchased for the cruise, along with 50% future cruise credit (*FCC must be booked by November 30, 2024 and sailed by December 31, 2025).  Bookings are being automatically cancelled and there is no need for guests to take any action. All refunds will be processed within three weeks to the original form of payment. 

Guests will also receive up to $200 per person for change fees related to air travel plans.  Guests should use this link to provide documentation of their airfare change fees - http://princess.com/refund-request

3. Will travel agency commissions be protected?

Answer: Yes, we will protect travel agency commissions. The delay was not caused by our travel agency partners, and they should be duly rewarded for their hard work and support, and it is only fair that we safeguard their commissions for the bookings they secured for this inaugural voyage.

4. Why are you just now announcing the delay so close to the original launch date? Why didn't you communicate this sooner?

Answer: Princess Cruises has just received notification from the shipyard about the delay. The shift in date of the maiden voyage is due to unforeseen challenges and delays encountered at the shipyard, where our shipbuilding partners at Fincantieri faced unexpected challenges. They are working to resolve these issues and expedite final preparations. We share in our guests’ frustration and appreciate their patience. We apologize for this unfortunate delay. 

5. When will the Sun Princess maiden voyage now take place?

Answer: The only voyage that has been cancelled due to the delayed delivery of the ship is the cruise departing Barcelona on Feb 8.

6. Do guests booked on the cancelled voyage need to call in to get their refund?

Answer: No. Booking will be automatically canceled and guests do not need to take any action to initiate the refund process.  Refund will be processed within three weeks and credited back to the original form of payment, and FCCs will be automatically added to guest accounts.

7. Are any other voyages at risk?

Answer: The current delivery delay only impacts the Feb 8 inaugural voyage.

FCC must be booked by November 30, 2024 and sailed by December 31, 2025)
That’s ridiculous. At least give these people a year to rebook. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Inaugural roulette has begun!

What date will the first sailing land on?

my guess is that both parties waited until this point to notify guests,  knowing that the issues can be resolved by 18th. 🤞

Edited by c-boy

2 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Inaugural roulette has begun!

What date will the first sailing land on?

March 9th. My guess. 

27 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

I checked cruises on the Sun through May.  The only ones that don't show sold out are the ones on March 29 & April 17.  There aren't any others that show availability until June.  Has it been like this or is that new?

38 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

They may have closed the subsequent sailings to provide some space for those on the inaugural to rebook.

This is incredibly disappointing for passengers, but perhaps not devastating for retirees or others for whom timing is not an issue.  However, many passengers (like us) plan cruises well in advance and make arrangements for time off of work, which makes this particularly hard to swallow.

I wonder what Princess will do when it comes to non-refundable airline tickets, hotels, and other sunk costs.  (Actually, I don't wonder--I'm pretty sure their attitude is "tough luck.")

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

I checked cruises on the Sun through May.  The only ones that don't show sold out are the ones on March 29 & April 17.  There aren't any others that show availability until June.  Has it been like this or is that new?

The problem is all the “good cabins” are sold out this year. If you want to sail this year, you will have to select a different cabin which you may not like. 

• Like 1