Sun Princess Inaugural 2/8/24 cruise canceled

Host CJSKIDS

4 minutes ago, charliedalrymple said:

This is incredibly disappointing for passengers, but perhaps not devastating for retirees or others for whom timing is not an issue.  However, many passengers (like us) plan cruises well in advance and make arrangements for time off of work, which makes this particularly hard to swallow.

I wonder what Princess will do when it comes to non-refundable airline tickets, hotels, and other sunk costs.  (Actually, I don't wonder--I'm pretty sure their attitude is "tough luck.")

"Furthermore, we understand that changes to your air travel plans may be necessary. To ease this process, we are prepared to provide you with up to $200 per guest to cover change fees related to your flights."

• Like 2

Just now, DHP1 said:

The problem is all the “good cabins” are sold out this year. If you want to sail this year, you will have to select a different cabin which you may not like. 

One thing that didn't occur to me when I posted:  many people probably booked this specifically it was the inaugural cruise, and they will now be denied that unique experience.  It's not an opportunity that comes up very often!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, cruisezone1 said:

They may have closed the subsequent sailings to provide some space for those on the inaugural to rebook.

Who wants to rebook when they know their favourite cabin is sold out.  So disappointing. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, charliedalrymple said:

This is incredibly disappointing for passengers, but perhaps not devastating for retirees or others for whom timing is not an issue.  However, many passengers (like us) plan cruises well in advance and make arrangements for time off of work, which makes this particularly hard to swallow.

I wonder what Princess will do when it comes to non-refundable airline tickets, hotels, and other sunk costs.  (Actually, I don't wonder--I'm pretty sure their attitude is "tough luck.")

File a claim with your insurance. 

3 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

"Furthermore, we understand that changes to your air travel plans may be necessary. To ease this process, we are prepared to provide you with up to $200 per guest to cover change fees related to your flights."

To received $200 is a joke especially when someone doesn’t have travel insurance.  Maybe they book at a non refundable rate. What happens then?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

To received $200 is a joke especially when someone doesn’t have travel insurance.  Maybe they book at a non refundable rate. What happens then?

I agree.  They really should have gone into more detail here.  I do hope that those folks who didn't book through EZAir booked with a carrier such as United that will give you a credit to use within a year of the original booking date.  But yeah, folks may have booked non refundable hotels or excursions.  Really not a good outcome on many levels.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

While I understand why people will consider this a joke it just shows once again why no matter your age you should ALWAYS have travel insurance.  Prime example right here.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

I'm saddened for the disappointment that these inaugural cruisers must feel.

That said, there's a risk to being the first for anything that involves facilities, engineering, construction,  logistics and service staff: opening night/week of a restaurant, bar, hotel...the first month in a new office building....buying a new car in its first model year, etc. 

Operational downtime, on-the-fly fixes, learning-as-they-go, and, yes, construction and delivery delays are bound to happen.  

Anyway, I'm not shocked.  I hope those who booked it did indeed buy travel insurance.

I don't know, me?  I'd never do an inaugural cruise.  Need at least six months to iron things out...

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Cruising Forever! said:

My guess is that air booked thru Princess will be 100% refunded.  Air booked independently will get $200 from Princess for change fees.  

This may require cooperation from the airlines as I'm sure all the seats have been actually ticketed.  That might complicate getting refunds on air as the airlines will have to refund money to Princess on ticketed seats which they almost never do. 

It's no different from when cruises/flights were cancelled in 2020 due to the Covid panic. They'll give credits for future flights, but a refund, fuggedaboutit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

Currently the ship is showing "Sold Out" until the March 29th sailing.  Not a good sign. 🤷‍♂️

They put those first on sold out quite a while ago all at the same time on UK site I had been looking at one of them as an option against Celebrity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruising Forever! said:

My guess is that air booked thru Princess will be 100% refunded.  Air booked independently will get $200 from Princess for change fees.  

If you purchase a non refundable ticket then you can not make a change or cancel. So what then? These people are out thousand of dollars if they don’t have insurance. Stay tune I guess. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DHP1 said:

That's the risk one took. Always obtain insurance or deal with the consequences. 

• Like 13

Does anyone have data on how many inaugural cruises have been cancelled by cruise lines?  Is this expected or out of the norm?

Word of caution:  Have insurance and for once...EZ Air positive

• Like 1

I wish we could get some actual photos of the interiors.  I'm so sick of vloggers posting and reposting the same tired "preview" CGI renderings from a year ago.  Sun Princess must really keep a tight leash on their crew; Icon of the Seas crew were posting vids willy-nilly during the brief time before she arrived in Miami- even saw New Year's Eve vids from Icon.  I wish some crew aboard would upload some stuff.  (Might be good PR damage control on Princess' part, too, if they let them)

• Like 2

With the price increases in the Premium Package, I sure wish  Princess would price protect us when we book another cruise.  Said another, the 50% future cruise credit is not 50% when you consider the price increases.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DHP1 said:

That the risk you take when you don't take insurance especially with something like first cruise on brand new ship. 

Edited by icat2000
  • Like 6

People are mentioning that travel insurance will protect you for the loss of air fares due to the cancellation, but what travel insurance covers for cancelled flight protection because the cruise ship isn't ready on time?

I have had a look at my travel insurance and there is nothing that mentions anything around that type of situation.

• Like 1

First off, this absolutely SUCKS for everyone booked on the February 8th cruise. I am so disappointed and feel for everyone. I can only imagine the disappointment, the difficulties in cancelling and rescheduling travel plans, and the chaos that comes with that.

We were originally booked on the Sun Princess Inaugural cruise, but we rescheduled because I was worried about this exact thing happening.... and weather in Europe in the winter.. cold. We did the delayed inaugural cruise for Oceania Vista last year, meaning, it wasn't the original date and it was cold in May! 

I'm so sorry for everyone on the cancelled sailing, and I hope there aren't more cancelled. 😞 

• Like 7

I am sorry this has happened and I understand the disappointment. I hope you can find a satisfactory booking on the Sun later in the year. Princess should give priority to passengers scheduled on the canceled cruise.

• Like 2

@cr8tiv1 Great Question about how many inaugural cruises have been cancelled. Speaking strictly personally, I know of two. Back in the early 2000s, we were going the first cruise of the Sapphire or Diamond. (Sorry, can’t remember) it was cancelled and we were able to switch to the Coral. Fast forward to 2020, we booked the inaugural trip of the Enchanted. It was to celebrate retirement and was a great itinerary. As everyone knows that was also canceled due to the ship not being ready and, of course, Covid.  Fortunately in both cases, we had much more than two weeks notice, so I really feel bad for all the disappointed cruisers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, teddyd33 said:

People are mentioning that travel insurance will protect you for the loss of air fares due to the cancellation, but what travel insurance covers for cancelled flight protection because the cruise ship isn't ready on time?

I have had a look at my travel insurance and there is nothing that mentions anything around that type of situation.

Exactly.  You didn’t cancel your cruise, Princess did   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Does anyone have data on how many inaugural cruises have been cancelled by cruise lines?  Is this expected or out of the norm?

Word of caution:  Have insurance and for once...EZ Air positive

IDK how many, but over the years, quite a few delayed inaugurals.

The CCL Jubilee was delayed for 6 cruises in 2022.  Shipyard was in Germany, due to supply delays.

• Like 2