(attempt at!) Live/semi-Live - 1st time HAL cruiser - Westerdam Hong Kong to Tokyo

Hi Tigerlily,

We will be on Westerdam in March so following along with you.

Hope you and your daughter have a lovely time. Looking forward to hearing about your onboard experience as well as your ports of call. 
Enjoy every day!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

Have a great time, we did last October on Westerdam.

During our pre cruise stay in Tokyo we visited Planet Labs, an amazing experience definitely worth a visit. If tickets are sold out do persevere, we did and on our last day suddenly 8 tickets had become available, while talking it through suddenly there were only three so I clicked.

https://www.teamlab.art/e/planets/

happy planning/cruising

Thank you! I was looking at TeamLabs and wasn’t sure whether to do Planets or Borderless. Planets does seem to be the most popular. I will look at getting tickets. 

We made it through the very long and slow MH bag drop off line - almost everyone had overweight baggage and they are pretty strict. Security was a breeze though! Sitting at the gate now, and will have a 3 hour stopover in Kuala Lumpur. and then, Hong Kong! 

The daily schedule has started filling out on Navigator, and my daughter was very excited about the History of China talks with Dr Kam. She studied history at Uni and did her dissertation on China. I remember reading about him in someone’s live, so I will go and try to find that again. 

We still don’t have a cabin assignment which makes me nervous, but guaranteed means guaranteed, right? 

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Tigerlily75 said:

my daughter was very excited about the History of China talks with Dr Kam. She studied history at Uni and did her dissertation on China. I remember reading about him in someone’s live, so I will go and try to find that again. 

This might be the thread you are seeking: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2966893-quasi-live-westerdam-oct-1st-japan/

Great start to you live thread, Tigerlily. I look forward to your posts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tigerlily75 said:

We made it through the very long and slow MH bag drop off line - almost everyone had overweight baggage and they are pretty strict. Security was a breeze though! Sitting at the gate now, and will have a 3 hour stopover in Kuala Lumpur. and then, Hong Kong! 

The daily schedule has started filling out on Navigator, and my daughter was very excited about the History of China talks with Dr Kam. She studied history at Uni and did her dissertation on China. I remember reading about him in someone’s live, so I will go and try to find that again. 

We still don’t have a cabin assignment which makes me nervous, but guaranteed means guaranteed, right? 

We have sailed HAL on guaranteed cabins previously. One time we were “upgraded” from an outside cabin to a lanai cabin. I hated having people strolling past my windows all the time. Others love lanai cabins but they’re not my thing.

Now we pick our cabin number and avoid the unwanted upgrade anxiety!

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 11:05 PM, OlsSalt said:

We are also sadly learning the Westerdam is also getting the "big ship" treatment for Japan too - won't get some of the downtown docks. We were on the Volendam (just a little bit smaller?) when we docked in the inner Shanghai harbor - what a shame to miss that splendid opportunity.  Thanks for the warning. 

My husband and I are booked on the March 2 sailing from Hong Kong to Tokyo.  How do you find out where the Westerdam will dock?  I’ve looked all over the HAL website, and even called them, but customer service had no idea . . .

• Like 1

We also had Dr. Ping Wing (I love you) Kam as our featured speaker on our October’23 TP and Circle Japan cruise.  Anyone who has enjoyed one of his lectures will remember that this is how he introduces himself.

Dr Kam’s talks were very popular, so I would suggest arriving early for decent seating.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

We have sailed HAL on guaranteed cabins previously. One time we were “upgraded” from an outside cabin to a lanai cabin. I hated having people strolling past my windows all the time. Others love lanai cabins but they’re not my thing.

Now we pick our cabin number and avoid the unwanted upgrade anxiety!

We tell our TA (or the cruise line direct, depending) that we do NOT want an upgrade.

We care very much about which cabin/suite we get, and the location is especially important.

That could be due to proximity to something on the ship or to avoid noise.  That could be, say, from a cabin under the drums in a band... learned that from our first cruise decades ago, when my parents made all the plans... never let them do THAT again!! 😡  It was especially bad, because not only did we have the horrible and LOUD band music, but we also had my father in the next cabin who complained non-stop about it!  Sigh. 🙄

Also very importantly, we LOVE forward views.  We'd give up space to have that view, and would *hate* to be, uh, "upgraded" to something in a so-called "higher" category/larger size/etc., if it meant being moved away from our cherished forward view!

We also happen to like the motion of the ocean, so that's definitely our favorite.

GC

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tigerlily75 said:

The daily schedule has started filling out on Navigator, and my daughter was very excited about the History of China talks with Dr Kam. She studied history at Uni and did her dissertation on China.

Mine may be a minority opinion but -- especially if your daughter did her dissertation on China -- keep your expectations reasonable with regards to Dr. Kam's lectures. His material on Japan was woefully out of date (and pretty simplistic) on our April cruise; maybe he has refreshed it by now.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Machta said:

My husband and I are booked on the March 2 sailing from Hong Kong to Tokyo.  How do you find out where the Westerdam will dock?  I’ve looked all over the HAL website, and even called them, but customer service had no idea . . .

Definitely looks like Kai Tak.

https://www.kaitakcruiseterminal.com.hk/schedule/2024-2/

Happy planning

• Like 2

14 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Mine may be a minority opinion but -- especially if your daughter did her dissertation on China -- keep your expectations reasonable with regards to Dr. Kam's lectures. His material on Japan was woefully out of date (and pretty simplistic) on our April cruise; maybe he has refreshed it by now.

That's what I thought too from last year and it was aggravating that he never concluded a lecture.  Just said that his wife was telling him to stop-  so he did.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ldog said:

That's what I thought too from last year and it was aggravating that he never concluded a lecture.  Just said that his wife was telling him to stop-  so he did.

He was high energy, low content and sometimes just plain wrong. But he apparently did great Tai Chi classes on our Maasdam In-Depth.

I hope he is not on the upcoming Majestic Japan in September this year - I would like more content, since we visit important WWII sites and a Midway Island drive-by. 

• Like 1

We made it to Hong Kong! It’s 6.40am now on Wednesday morning, we arrived at the hotel about 4pm yesterday. Very tired since our flight had left home at half past midnight and neither of us sleep on planes. MH was .. okay. They got us here, that’s the main thing, but old planes and old entertainment systems. Immigration was a breeze, and we got the A21 bus to our hotel for about $4 each. 

We are staying at Eaton HK, on Nathan Road, about a 4 minute walk from Jordan MTR station. I’ll take some pics later. 

Hooefully after today and going forward I’ll have some good pictures to share, we were just in recovery mode last night - showers, food, bed. I was probably asleep by 8.30!

We got our cabin assignment!! Balcony towards aft on Deck 6. That was definitely worth waiting for. “VD” category if that means anything to anyone, I don’t understand the categories. But it looks good and I’m very happy! 

• Like 12

My wife and I are going to be on the same sailing. We had a great time on the Westerdam on the December 9 sailing last month to Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia. We didn't enjoy the jet lag both ways, but we're back for more. Looking forward to following along!

Edited by pellanor
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tigerlily75 said:

We got our cabin assignment!! Balcony towards aft on Deck 6. That was definitely worth waiting for. “VD” category if that means anything to anyone, I don’t understand the categories. But it looks good and I’m very happy! 

Congrats on the upgrade! We booked a guaranteed oceanview and got an upgrade to a balcony room on deck 5 (VC). V is for balcony and C is the subcategory. I think the subcategories are mostly location with "A" being midship and most desirable.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pellanor said:

My wife and I are going to be on the same sailing. We had a great time on the Westerdam on the December 9 sailing last month to Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia. We didn't enjoy the jet lag both ways, but we're back for more. Looking forward to following along!

Looking forward to sailing with you! And feel free to jump in anytime with your own experiences. Thanks for the explanation of the categories - that makes sense! 

I love Hong Kong. People are so kind. If you look even remotely confused, someone will help you. Today we went and saw some public housing architecture including Peng Shek Estate, ate at some cha chaan chengs for Hong Kong style French toast and pineapple buns and egg tarts, wandered Nan Lian gardens, shopped at a lovely kitchenware store (Hak Dei), got a Made in Hong Kong Camel flask, did some other shopping and wandered some more around Mong Kok including Flower Street and Sneaker Street. 

The caramel egg tarts at Tai On Coffee & Tea Shop are to die for! It’s time for bed, and tomorrow we go to Disneyland. 

Ok here goes my first attempt at posting multiple pictures: 

Choi Hung Estate

IMG_0367.thumb.jpeg.a2822c34fb49c18b20e47d196469e88c.jpeg

IMG_0505.thumb.jpeg.e9e73a0606d4236e359bc467606732dd.jpeg

Ping Shek Estate 

IMG_0533.thumb.jpeg.2c9b93e9ebebe54d5320bc2b46d35a17.jpeg

Nan Lian Gardens

IMG_0565.thumb.jpeg.18385c36ff2d4a5d567660be7df8f91a.jpeg

Tai On Coffee & Teas Shop

IMG_0573.thumb.jpeg.1970366cf640dce5bd34f08729d3f2d3.jpeg

IMG_0575.thumb.jpeg.5567f1920935c5c48b60f1271540c4e0.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

That worked! Here’s some more - Hak Dei, around Mong Kok, and our little shopping haul: 

IMG_0585.thumb.jpeg.e4691e991f53ad0399c3a95b642a48b7.jpeg

I love the bamboo scaffolding:

IMG_0592.thumb.jpeg.57cd17eb67953edf433e063585eb7682.jpeg

IMG_0524.thumb.jpeg.5e491c9ca37167956835c589a151110b.jpeg

IMG_0617.thumb.jpeg.1f54cbd83b52ebeaea97f9cf24167be3.jpeg

Kam Wah Cafe & Cake Shop:

IMG_0638.thumb.jpeg.2711b45a8486f67176502012f9d2dac7.jpeg

IMG_0657.thumb.jpeg.dfeee149d4a51aa74cbc60afe53ed438.jpeg

IMG_0609.thumb.jpeg.2b738b93cb31d30fcf577e3e2e3a4d55.jpeg

IMG_0664.thumb.jpeg.5cacb7394a3af83031cf78d4876178f6.jpeg

IMG_0615.thumb.jpeg.926b784d6eab6a5e04507778f2163157.jpeg

IMG_0629.thumb.jpeg.6cebcdd1f23466b4086bf6a80c455d88.jpeg