(attempt at!) Live/semi-Live - 1st time HAL cruiser - Westerdam Hong Kong to Tokyo

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: . . When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Tigerlily75 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Hello all, I thought maybe, perhaps, one or two people might be interested in a “live blog” (at least, an attempt at) from an inexperienced cruiser, and first time cruiser on HAL. I’m an experienced traveller - by plane, land, bus, train, ferry - but not so much cruising!

I did my first cruise in 2015 when I won it in a competition. It was an 8 night Carnival Spirit cruise from Sydney to the South Pacific Islands. I liked it so much I did two more, and then did a transatlantic on NCL Epic in 2019. So it’s been five years! 

I’m travelling with my 24yo daughter. She has just returned to Melbourne after two years living in Edinburgh. The end of her visa meant leaving behind her boyfriend she met there. He’s a dual American-British citizen who grew up in California and moved to Scotland, where his mum is from. We are meeting him in Tokyo on February 17, so a happy reunion awaits! We’ll spend 10 days in Japan and then he’s coming back to Melbourne with us for 3 weeks. (And later, will return on an Australian working holiday visa). 

We leave for Hong Kong on Monday night, flying Malaysia Airlines via Kuala Lumpur. We have 4 nights in Hong Kong and then board the Westerdam on Saturday afternoon! One week from today. Super excited. I absolutely love Asia and so happy to return. We’ve been to Hong Kong and South Korea (but not Busan) before, but haven’t yet been to mainland China or Japan. 

Here is our itinerary: 

IMG_0793.jpeg

Edited by Tigerlily75
change to plain text
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 4

I would probably describe us as mid-range budget travellers. We’ve booked a guaranteed interior room, and generally look for decent affordable boutique type hotels. We also haven’t booked any tours in port (HAL or private) although that’s not really a financial decision, but rather a preference for these ports. They are super easy (for the most part) to navigate and we like to do our own things in our own time. 

A little about pre planning: I should probably start by saying we are huge Disney fans. I’ve been to Disneyland (Anaheim), Disney World, and Disneyland Paris. It was only after booking this cruise it dawned on me we could actually do Hong Kong, Shanghai and Tokyo, all in one trip! 

Shanghai became the trickiest, because it’s like a mystery tour. HAL hasn’t been to Shanghai (that I could find) since pre-covid, and so there’s very little information on procedures, from visas to shuttles. No one can or will provide clear answers on whether specifically the 72/144 hour visa free transit will be available, and I won’t bore you with all the details, but suffice to say people are getting different answers all over the place. It’s been very confusing! 

So long story short, we went ahead and got Chinese Visas just in case. We did it ourselves at the consulate, and here I take issue with both the advice and cost of what the HAL recommended visa service provides, but maybe that’s a post for another time. In short, always check if you can do it yourself. Or, whether you even need what they say you do (hello, South Korea). Go to official government sources. If you can do it yourself, it’s often just as easy (or easier!) and WAY cheaper. 

We are in Shanghai overnight, and will visit Disneyland on day one so we can stay for the fireworks. We have booked a private transfer both ways, and they should hopefully be waiting for us as we walk off the ship. Day two in Shanghai, we will explore the city on our own. I’ve made a (flexible) plan for every port, so we have a good idea of what we want to do in each place. 

We have our tickets, our visas, WeChat downloaded and I even managed to set up WeChat Pay with an international credit card. China is almost a cashless society, but international cards can be a problem at times - and so yet another long story short - I’ve covered all our bases. I have WeChat Pay, Alipay, cash, and various credit and debit cards. One way or another, we shouldn’t starve! 

I also have an iPhone and I hear Apple Maps will completely transform once inside China, so that seems to be the best option for English speakers. I’m not going to bother with a VPN, and have given family back home my WeChat contact. I can live without Meta and Google for a couple of days. 

So for future cruisers to Shanghai post-covid, I’m going to take many notes so I can provide all the answers I was searching for myself! 

So that’s about it for now - until we leave on Monday night. It’s currently Saturday afternoon here in sunny Australia, and I’m about to pack my thermals for this winter-y trip. Thanks for reading! 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Looks like a great itinerary. I'd love to follow along to get your insights as a new HAL cruiser and learn of your adventures. Calm seas and fair winds!

images.jpeg.476897f84376f10418efc5d5ce716a8d.jpeg

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, SUESEABE said:

Looks like a great itinerary. I'd love to follow along to get your insights as a new HAL cruiser and learn of your adventures. Calm seas and fair winds!

images.jpeg.476897f84376f10418efc5d5ce716a8d.jpeg

Thank you!! Very excited to try HAL, every report I’ve read say the staff are amazing, and that the food is very good too. I’ve seen mixed reports on recent entertainment offerings, but with a port intensive cruise like this we should be fine - although I was sad to learn the Lincoln Centre is no more! 

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Tigerlily75 said:

Thank you!! Very excited to try HAL, every report I’ve read say the staff are amazing, and that the food is very good too. I’ve seen mixed reports on recent entertainment offerings, but with a port intensive cruise like this we should be fine - although I was sad to learn the Lincoln Centre is no more! 

That makes you a bona fide HAL cruiser before you even leave port  -many of us long time HAL cruisers are also unhappy about the loss of classical music offerings.

Lincoln Center musicians were  superb, but other non-name brand classical duos and small ensembles could be good too, some outstanding. Some middling,  but still a nice musical offering. Sounds like we might start getting something like this back again. HAL is still finding its sea legs again after the "covid" shut down and corporate debt undertakings to stay afloat, like others in the cruise industry.

You should be in for a very great cruise. Fingers crossed your Shanghai over night still gets to dock in the inner Shanghai harbor - just magical at night. 

• Like 2

I think that the ms Westerdam is too large to dock in the inner Shanghai harbor.

You might be docked an hour away from Shanghai?

I hope that I am wrong.  Whatever, you will have a magnificent cruise!

Barbara

• Like 1

Just now, bcummin said:

I think that the ms Westerdam is too large to dock in the inner Shanghai harbor.

You might be docked an hour away from Shanghai?

I hope that I am wrong.  Whatever, you will have a magnificent cruise!

Barbara

We are also sadly learning the Westerdam is also getting the "big ship" treatment for Japan too - won't get some of the downtown docks. We were on the Volendam (just a little bit smaller?) when we docked in the inner Shanghai harbor - what a shame to miss that splendid opportunity.  Thanks for the warning. 

• Like 1

We are booked at Wusongkou Cruise Port (Baoshan) so sadly not downtown. That would have been amazing. Similar in Hong Kong, we are at Kai Tak (the old airport), there’s a different ship booked for that day at the better situated Ocean Terminal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tigerlily75 said:

4 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Lincoln Center musicians were  superb, but other non-name brand classical duos and small ensembles could be good too, some outstanding. Some middling,  but still a nice musical offering. Sounds like we might start getting something like this back again.

Tigerlily75...

We absolutely loved the Lincoln Center chamber music.  We've only had the one HAL trip, and it was to your part of the world, from NZ to Sydney. 🙂  In fact, in Melbourne, DH spent a few hours with a friend from decades ago, someone who was originally from the USA, but she and her husband had moved to Australia many years ago.  She was since widowed, so it was nice for her to see an old friend from home, etc.  And now they chat via Zoom every few months.  It was nice for them to get re-acquainted again!

Now, about Lincoln Center, we had "just discovered" HAL, and very importantly, Lincoln Center, and we *love* classical music.  I don't know if "our" chamber group was unusually good or if they all tended to be, but we had decided:  "This is for us!!!"

.... and then... and then... we find out Lincoln Center is about to bite the dust. 😡

If you happen upon any "replacement classical music", would you mind posting here about it and let us know how it was?

Or if anyone else has determined IF there really was some sort of replacement?

We went to *every* performance of the true "classical" music, which was (I think I'm remembering correctly) in the afternoon.  There was a second performance later, but that wasn't quite the same.  The venue (on Noordam) was MOBBED.  So each day with a performance, I'd show up **very** early, book in hand, and get two prime seats.  For us, *viewing* the performers makes a huge difference, and in that venue, one could be quite up close and personal.  Then DH would join me before the performance.

Did I mention that we LOVED it? 😉 

We haven't sailed since the "before times", so I haven't even browsed the itineraries/listings... so I have no idea if there really is any nice classical music nowadays.

Anyway, enjoy your cruise.  It sounds like a fascinating itinerary!

GC

• Like 2

Thank you for taking the time, effort & $$ to do a live thread. 👍

I’m looking forward to following along with any of your experiences you have time to share.  

Bon Voyage!!!!  Have a great cruise and a WONDERFUL time !!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

Tigerlily75...

We absolutely loved the Lincoln Center chamber music.  We've only had the one HAL trip, and it was to your part of the world, from NZ to Sydney. 🙂  In fact, in Melbourne, DH spent a few hours with a friend from decades ago, someone who was originally from the USA, but she and her husband had moved to Australia many years ago.  She was since widowed, so it was nice for her to see an old friend from home, etc.  And now they chat via Zoom every few months.  It was nice for them to get re-acquainted again!

Now, about Lincoln Center, we had "just discovered" HAL, and very importantly, Lincoln Center, and we *love* classical music.  I don't know if "our" chamber group was unusually good or if they all tended to be, but we had decided:  "This is for us!!!"

.... and then... and then... we find out Lincoln Center is about to bite the dust. 😡

If you happen upon any "replacement classical music", would you mind posting here about it and let us know how it was?

Or if anyone else has determined IF there really was some sort of replacement?

We went to *every* performance of the true "classical" music, which was (I think I'm remembering correctly) in the afternoon.  There was a second performance later, but that wasn't quite the same.  The venue (on Noordam) was MOBBED.  So each day with a performance, I'd show up **very** early, book in hand, and get two prime seats.  For us, *viewing* the performers makes a huge difference, and in that venue, one could be quite up close and personal.  Then DH would join me before the performance.

Did I mention that we LOVED it? 😉 

We haven't sailed since the "before times", so I haven't even browsed the itineraries/listings... so I have no idea if there really is any nice classical music nowadays.

Anyway, enjoy your cruise.  It sounds like a fascinating itinerary!

GC

How lovely to come all this way and then be able to catch up with an old friend! I will definitely be on the look out for any new offerings and share them here. If there is a Q&A, or if I happen to get a chance to speak anyone who would be in the know, I will ask too. The way you describe it sounds amazing and I’m sorry to have missed it. I’m curious too if we will have things like guest speakers on various topics, and local entertainment coming on board.

• Like 2

Looking forward to following along! Thank you for doing this. I hope you continue your report to include your Japan land portion. We are taking a North Pacific repositioning cruise with 8 days precruise in Japan. Our first visit, so I’ll be interested in your experiences.

• Like 1

We were on the Westerdam last February and March.  The crew are fabulous especially the wonderful ladies at the main desk.  We also had some wonderful Asian entertainers on the main stage.  I hope the Japanese have sorted out their cumbersome entry requirements. 

• Like 1

Welcome to HAL, hope you enjoy sailing with her as much as we do. The crew are absolutely amazing, nothing is too much trouble and the itinerarys are excellent.

We spent a week in Hong Kong with our daughter, when she was in her early 20's, and had an amazing time. We are on Westerdam in March for travel around Japan and will be very interested in your report. We have visited Hong Kong Disney and plan to see Tokyo Disney this trip. 

Safe travels and thanks for all your efforts on our behalf.

• Like 1

I’ll be following along.  We were supposed to be on this cruise but had to cancel due to knee surgery.  Will be curious what the weather is like and where you dock at various ports.  We may book this cruise again next year.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Riversedge said:

I’ll be following along.  We were supposed to be on this cruise but had to cancel due to knee surgery.  Will be curious what the weather is like and where you dock at various ports.  We may book this cruise again next year.  

Oh that must have been disappointing! I hope the surgery and recovery goes well and you can get back on board in future! I’ll report on the weather, and yes docking locations! It’s definitely taken some sleuthing trying to figure out exactly where we dock in each port. 

8 hours ago, ldog said:

We were on the Westerdam last February and March.  The crew are fabulous especially the wonderful ladies at the main desk.  We also had some wonderful Asian entertainers on the main stage.  I hope the Japanese have sorted out their cumbersome entry requirements. 

I have heard about the immigration procedures, but hoping it is getting better! That’s encouraging to hear you had decent local entertainment, I’m looking forward to that. 

It was lovely waking up to all these nice messages, thank you! I checked in for our flights when it opened at half past midnight. MH gave me a mini-panic attack when I clicked on “check destination requirements” for Hong Kong and their information is clearly well out of date. It was talking about PCR testing and making sure you’ve booked a Designated Quarantine Hotel! I rushed off to check official government sources (again!) and nope, all requirements are well and truly lifted. Phew! The only thing they have is temperature checks you walk through at the airport, which has been in place since SARS anyway. 

It’s now Sunday mid-morning here. I got busy doing other things yesterday so today is packing (and cleaning the bathroom!) day. I also need to go pick up my Chinese Yuan either today or tomorrow, I’m thinking tomorrow since the shopping centre will be less busy. We’ll leave home for the airport around 9pm tomorrow night. 

• Like 8

Have a great time, we did last October on Westerdam.

During our pre cruise stay in Tokyo we visited Planet Labs, an amazing experience definitely worth a visit. If tickets are sold out do persevere, we did and on our last day suddenly 8 tickets had become available, while talking it through suddenly there were only three so I clicked.

https://www.teamlab.art/e/planets/

happy planning/cruising

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We've been to some of the ports in that part of the world & really enjoyed them. Looking forward to your report. Bon Voyage fair winds & smooth seas.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

Have a great time, we did last October on Westerdam.

During our pre cruise stay in Tokyo we visited Planet Labs, an amazing experience definitely worth a visit. If tickets are sold out do persevere, we did and on our last day suddenly 8 tickets had become available, while talking it through suddenly there were only three so I clicked.

https://www.teamlab.art/e/planets/

happy planning/cruising

Thanks for posting about this.

We had never heard of Planet Labs/TeamLab.

I'm not sure if we'll have a chance to get back to Japan (would be very nice!), but apparently there are a few other locations.

Fascinating!!

GC

• Like 1