What are your thoughts on discussing politics in the MDR?

thermal

9 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Thank you!  In my experience, it's been Canadians.  No offense to our northern neighbors but gosh, when we meet them on board, it's almost always certain they will bring up politics....and not their politics but US politics.  Good heavens.  

Unfortunately we are inundated with US news and politics.  Some people are fascinated by what happens south of us. I know  people who spend more time watching your politicians than ours. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Unfortunately we are inundated with US news and politics.  Some people are fascinated by what happens south of us. I know  people who spend more time watching your politicians than ours. 

So sorry @Aquahound that this is your experience because it sure would not be if you met me!

And @puppycanducruise you are so correct that we are inundated with US news and politics.  I think that even though I would not speak about it on a cruise, I am more aware of what is happening in the US politically than I am my own country.  One could say that nothing happens here that is worthy of attention unless you want to keep consulting the ethics committee about our PM's vacations....

47 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

And @puppycanducruise you are so correct that we are inundated with US news and politics.  I think that even though I would not speak about it on a cruise, I am more aware of what is happening in the US politically than I am my own country.  One could say that nothing happens here that is worthy of attention unless you want to keep consulting the ethics committee about our PM's vacations....

In our travels I have found that people from other countries with an interest in US government and politics have a much better grasp of the subject than most of my neighbors. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Thank you!  In my experience, it's been Canadians.  No offense to our northern neighbors but gosh, when we meet them on board, it's almost always certain they will bring up politics....and not their politics but US politics.  Good heavens.  

People from other countries are fascinated by why we'd do some of the things we do and (especially) elect some of the people we elect, while we've "normalized" a lot of it here. And Canadians get a lot of US news, so their curiosity is even higher.

I recently sailed out of Galveston on a ship that hung a giant Lone Star flag in its public atrium on embarkation day on a ship with an average age of about 68, and held my tongue the whole time, even when vaguely baited - whose mind would I think I'd be changing?

• Like 2

So many better conversations to be had, in fact this will be considered rude to many people from other countries. In the states for example asking what you do for a living is a common icebreaker, however on a side note to many people from European nations this is a very rude invasive question. You best believe that will also hold true when it comes to politics with many other people. Stick to "small talk" at least to you can properly gauge the other person quite well. 

We cruised Europe in 2016 we were kidding the several Canadians on the cruise that we would be moving to Canada if our candidate lost , she did but we stayed in Texas 😁 anyway. We normally get a table for two anyway.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, George C said:

We cruised Europe in 2016 we were kidding the several Canadians on the cruise that we would be moving to Canada if our candidate lost , she did but we stayed in Texas 😁 anyway. We normally get a table for two anyway.

Probably just as well you stayed.... you'd have had to get some of that scary 'socialized medicine'!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davechipp74 said:

So many better conversations to be had, in fact this will be considered rude to many people from other countries. In the states for example asking what you do for a living is a common icebreaker, however on a side note to many people from European nations this is a very rude invasive question. You best believe that will also hold true when it comes to politics with many other people. Stick to "small talk" at least to you can properly gauge the other person quite well. 

Yes, it is more of a North American thing to ask what you do for a living, and yes, in some countries that question would be looked upon as somewhat invasive, or that you are trying to "rank" them in some way.  Or, just too personal of a question on first meeting them.  The fact is that many people from other cultures just don't associate themselves with their jobs in the same way that we do.  They also - in general - don't work as hard and have more vacation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Uh, why ask *anyone* "about Harry & Meghan"?

I honestly cannot think of one single reason why I would want to talk or listen to someone talk about Harry and Meghan.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Probably just as well you stayed.... you'd have had to get some of that scary 'socialized medicine'!

No I am scared of your weather , I hate the cold , lived in New York but have been in Texas for over 40 years , it’s in the 70’s today.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

This is the lamest political thread ever.  🤨

We are all talking about things we say we don't want to talk about!  Lol.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Yes, it is more of a North American thing to ask what you do for a living, and yes, in some countries that question would be looked upon as somewhat invasive, or that you are trying to "rank" them in some way.  Or, just too personal of a question on first meeting them.  The fact is that many people from other cultures just don't associate themselves with their jobs in the same way that we do.  They also - in general - don't work as hard and have more vacation.

Recognizing different cultures/countries have different things, I wonder should no one get upset if asked the question by someone where it is a common thing.  

I don't mind the question.  But next time someone asks about my work, I think I'll say I never did.   😀

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Recognizing different cultures/countries have different things, I wonder should no one get upset if asked the question by someone where it is a common thing.  

I don't mind the question.  But next time someone asks about my work, I think I'll say I never did.   😀

I think that it is more often that the person that is upset is not aware that it is a common thing elsewhere.  This may be the first time they have ever been asked.

It is the same thing when different cultures have different responses to social situations.  Some are put off in how someone reacts because they don't realize that this is the common response or reaction in that culture.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheMichael said:

I recently sailed out of Galveston on a ship that hung a giant Lone Star flag in its public atrium on embarkation day on a ship with an average age of about 68, and held my tongue the whole time, even when vaguely baited - whose mind would I think I'd be changing?

That is smart marketing for a saiking out of Texas. Texans are proud of their state. It used to be an independent country. I was surprised when I moved to Texas that the US and Texas flag were everywhere. Now I am used to it. 

Edited by Charles4515

58 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

I think that it is more often that the person that is upset is not aware that it is a common thing elsewhere.  This may be the first time they have ever been asked.

It is the same thing when different cultures have different responses to social situations.  Some are put off in how someone reacts because they don't realize that this is the common response or reaction in that culture.

I'm not sure that I'd lean too hard on this idea of Europeans not asking other about professions and/or other personal info. I've been asked that question many times by others in Germany, France, Italy and the UK, as well as other questions that actually flummoxed me a bit. For example, not once but MANY times I was asked what I had paid for my house in the US!  I consider that kind of info something to be shared only with very close friends or family. 

There have been a number of other non sequiturs as well. Heck, I've even had British fellow dinner mates take me to task for the way Americans use knife and fork, or ask me why I don't talk like Scarlett O'Hara in Gone with the Wind (I am from Atlanta).

At any rate, as mentioned earlier, the best thing to do is to be sensitive to others's comfort level and don't press topics that they don't seem to want to discuss. And as a follow-up, be forgiving with others who may ask things that are considered inappropriate in your own culture. Don't be prickly and easily offended. Having a good sense of humor goes a long way.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I've even had British fellow dinner mates take me to task for the way Americans use knife and fork,

My first thought were that to happen to me would be to apologize, set my my knife and fork on the table and eat the rest of the meal with my hands. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Yeah, but they would have electricity when it’s cold. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

For example, not once but MANY times I was asked what I had paid for my house in the US!  I consider that kind of info something to be shared only with very close friends or family. 

I’ve traveled internationally many times with a company that does “home hosted visits” with local families. More often than not, on of the Americans gets to that very question. 
The most memorable of these visits was in the spring of ‘09 in the Netherlands. Midway through the visit, and after finding out the price of a small attach house, the host asked, “so, who did you vote for.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

For example, not once but MANY times I was asked what I had paid for my house in the US!  I consider that kind of info something to be shared only with very close friends or family. 

Just as "interesting" are those who volunteer how much and what they poured into the renovations.  

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Right.  It's just to be shared with very close friends, family, and everyone/anyone who frequents Zillow or Redfin... 🤣

But yes, not too many years ago, the price one paid for one's home was sort of Top Secret/Need To Know (and very few had any need to know!).

Times have changed, and in so, so many ways.  And not all good.

Oops... that's NOT for dinner table conversation!

Back to our Two-Top!

GC

7 hours ago, TheMichael said:

Not following why a state flag would require anyone to change their mind about anything.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Right.  It's just to be shared with very close friends, family, and everyone/anyone who frequents Zillow or Redfin... 🤣

The country property tax department too. We can look up properties on their web site. 😎

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1