Calling all Haven Experts

Faulkh

I need a little advice. Looking to book this cruise 7 DAY CRUISE ON NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY Canada & New England: Bar Harbor & Newport from New York, New York this fall. 

my question is about the haven rooms outside of the haven courtyard

1) does it matter?

2) do you get more of the experience within the courtyard?

3) the aft rooms look awesome for I like the large balcony , does the butler still attend to these rooms even so far away?

4) aside from the DOS which rooms do you perfer . I am back and forth going cheapest room but then look and it is “only” a few hundred dollars more and I get the thought why not. 

We do not cruise often and only one other time on NCL the Escape in haven in DOS in 2018 and really did not even know what we booked at the time and did not take full advantage of the amenities for sure. I have read a lot on the haven (thanks to the wonderful long thread which was updated in 2022) but still unsure if booking room outside of haven proper is going to be disappointing. All of your thoughts/opinions appreciated. 

One of our favourite suites ever was 9316 (Aft Penthouse with Master Bedroom and Large Balcony) on the Getaway/Breakaway.  While not in the haven proper you can spend as much time there as you like.  You are as welcome there as any other suite dweller.  

It is a bit of a walk, but hey, we enjoy the walk and it certainly doesn't hurt to get the extra exercise if physically able.

The suite has one of the largest balconies you will find.  We had 2 padded loungers with a table between them, a table and 4 chairs that are under a covered area that we used in the rain, and there was enough room for a crowd out there!

It has 2 bathrooms and a separate master bedroom.  

We were treated the same by the butler and concierge as we were accustomed to being treated in the Owners Suite or Garden Villa (your experience may vary).  

Would take one of the corner suites on 9 or 12 anyday - but preferred 9.  There are several videos out there.  

You will not be disappointed

• Like 1

I would take an aft Haven for a fall cruise up the Northeast. We didn’t have any problems with our butlers during both our cruises in an aft cabin. May take them a little longer to respond but give them time for your requests and they should be met. 

the walk to the Haven area was a plus for our eating habits 😬

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Faulkh said:

1) does it matter?

3) the aft rooms look awesome for I like the large balcony , does the butler still attend to these rooms even so far away?

4) aside from the DOS which rooms do you perfer . I am back and forth going cheapest room but then look and it is “only” a few hundred dollars more and I get the thought why not. 

To us, it does not matter. We make a point of using the Haven facilities regardless of where our room is. As a point of reference, on the newest ships, there are no rooms on the same deck as the lounge and restaurant, all rooms are "outside".

Most recently we were on the Viva in a Haven room where you had to go to the Haven facilities no matter what room you were in. 

Recently we were on the Encore in a forward facing Haven room. We like those rooms because they have a separate living room space. And they are [much] cheaper than the [much] smaller balcony penthouse rooms in the Haven proper. We spent a lot of time in the Haven courtyard and didn't think twice about running up to the Haven bar for a drink. 

Prior to that, we were in a Penthouse balcony on the Breakaway about 10 steps from the Haven bar. While the access to the Haven facilities was convenient, we prefer the extra space in forward facing rooms. 

We sail often, so being "economical" (vs. cheap = inside room) is important to us. In the past two years we have booked Forward Facing Haven, Penthouse Balcony Haven, 2BR Haven rooms (the second bedroom is more or less just luggage storage and an extra toilet - but you get a living room and more space in the Haven proper). 

To put things in perspective, about 1/3 of the Haven rooms on the Breakaway are "outside" the Haven proper. 

The Butler services multiple aft facing Haven rooms (i.e., they do not have one room in the Haven proper and one room at the aft), so the service is the same quality. 

• Like 2

Even if they were the same price (they aren't), my family of 4 prefers the aft-facing Suite on Breakaway/Getaway to the 2BR Suite. 

Pick the preferable stateroom configuration and a good/great balcony when selecting which aft-facing Suite.

The butler who services the aft suites doesn't service the other suites. If it's a good or great butler, service will be good or great. If it's a bad or sub par butler,....you know.

• Like 1

If you are buying the Haven be in the Haven. We usually get the the two bedroom suite even if we are just a couple. I am back and forth to the room all day to use the restroom, drop something off, pick something up etc. We are right there to go with the concierge early to the theater or off the ship. Even if we get a basic room, we prefer to be in the Haven and if possible on the floor where the restaurant, pool, bar, concierge is located. It can't be beat. You have a finite number of cruises in your life.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is a very common thread asking the same question. Everyone always justifies their position and experience.  I have stayed in both types of Haven cabins.  I said the same thing when I booked a forward penthouse on Getaway. "I wont mind walking.  The saving on money is worth it, etc"  While I enjoyed a larger cabin, the Haven experience was not the same IMHO.  I felt like an outsider in the Haven having to commute there since we were not part of the Haven compound.  While not terrible, it definitely impacted the Haven experience.  I love waking up in the Haven complex and just opening my door to the restaurant, pool, and concierge.  The concierge seems to know the people better that actually stay there.  I call the experience "Haven-lite."  Here is a good analogy.  Do you want to stay at an ocean front resort overlooking the pool and ocean and restaurant or stay at a hotel 3 blocks away and you are entitled to walk to and use the facilities.  IMHO its not the same experience. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Ticatraveler said:

We have been on both, cabins inside and outside of Haven. Service depends much more on who your butler and room attendant are than the location of the cabin.

Agree. 

• Like 1

I need a little advice. Looking to book this cruise 7 DAY CRUISE ON NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY Canada & New England: Bar Harbor & Newport from New York, New York this fall. 

1) does it matter?

3) the aft rooms look awesome for I like the large balcony , does the butler still attend to these rooms even so far away?

4) aside from the DOS which rooms do you perfer . I am back and forth going cheapest room but then look and it is “only” a few hundred dollars more and I get the thought why not. 

1). NO!

2). NO!

3). YES!

4). I always book the cheapest.  Doesn’t matter where it’s located.  Truth told, I prefer to be outside the Haven to get my walks in.  Plus, it gives me a chance to see and explore other parts of the ship!  I’d say all the Haven cabins are quite nice.  Their size changes, but they’re all quite nice.

• Like 3

I think it just depends on what your needs are and what is important to you. We have stayed in a forward Haven suite 3 times and have a 4th one booked for March. Just like @BirdTravelsstated, we like the extra space and the separate bedroom and the long walk doesn’t bother us. We take our grandson so that’s another reason we like the extra space. We aren’t balcony dwellers so the small balcony space in the forward is fine for us. We also don’t need much from the butler so that is not an issue either. We’ve spent plenty of time enjoying the Haven amenities and don’t think we’ve missed anything not being in the Haven proper. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Life is short.

Nor2-B167-85373-1674062486.webp

So is the Breakaway/Getaway 2BR balcony.

A family of 4 isn't having breakfast on the 2BR balcony with BA/GA... 

611071391232660.webp

...but on a deck 9 aft-facing BA/GA suite balcony? Easily done with a great view. 

When going Haven, there isn't really a wrong choice. Weigh the options and decide. If aft-facing, forward-facing, or courtyard is your preference, go for it. 

• Like 5

These threads always come down to people praising and justifying their own experiences which really does not help the OP.  I've done both and the experience changed my opinion.  Everything with real estate is about location.  I used to think NCL was nuts charging less for the outside Haven cabins.  However my experience changed my mind.  Each of us has different opinions and different likes or dislikes.  I seem to be the only one that had a change of opinion after the experience.  

Maybe it was the people pointing and laughing at us as we entered the Haven saying we were Haven wannabe cheapos that had an impact 😂

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There will never be a consensus because we all have different likes and dislikes.  The OP will have to experience both to make a decision. NCL's Haven is a ship within a ship concept.  Royal has some of the most expensive and mega suites at sea.  They have a Genie which is a butler on steroids.  Yet you don't have people raving about the Royal suite life like the Haven suite life.  That is because Royal does not have the ship within a ship concept.  All of their mega suites are randomly sprinkled around the ship.  No matter what suite you are in everyone must walk to the Coastal Kitchen and suite sun deck.  When I sailed Epic in 2010 and was introduced to the ship within a ship concept blew me away.  You never needed to leave the Haven.  The restaurant, bar, pool, sundeck, and courtyard were all outside your door.  That made me fall in love with the concept and I am always chasing the dragon for a similar experience.  MSC and NCL have the ship within a concept which IMHO is a different experience than just having access to the Haven.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, david_sobe said:

There will never be a consensus because we all have different likes and dislikes.  The OP will have to experience both to make a decision. NCL's Haven is a ship within a ship concept.  Royal has some of the most expensive and mega suites at sea.  They have a Genie which is a butler on steroids.  Yet you don't have people raving about the Royal suite life like the Haven suite life.  That is because Royal does not have the ship within a ship concept.  All of their mega suites are randomly sprinkled around the ship.  No matter what suite you are in everyone must walk to the Coastal Kitchen and suite sun deck.  When I sailed Epic in 2010 and was introduced to the ship within a ship concept blew me away.  You never needed to leave the Haven.  The restaurant, bar, pool, sundeck, and courtyard were all outside your door.  That made me fall in love with the concept and I am always chasing the dragon for a similar experience.  MSC and NCL have the ship within a concept which IMHO is a different experience than just having access to the Haven.

David, I have done both too and also a third scenario - have booked the aft suite on the Sun twice with no haven at all.  I love the Sun and loved those cruises.   

Being in the DOS on the Epic really was a different animal.  Being in the Haven was better than I expected. But although our butler, Maxi was incredible the concierge (team) were almost indifferent.  But being in the hub was great.  Nice to have workout facilities and a massage treatment room close by… I could slink back to my room after relaxing massage.  Priceless.  We found the convenient POSH a bonus. 

I am happy in any of the three scenarios.  I choose value over cost every time.  

I always like reading your posts. 

7 minutes ago, sjn911 said:

Pardon me,,,What is the "DOS"..thank you in advance...really sounds so great to try these on both MSC and NCL...thanks for the info.

Deluxe Owners Suite.  So sorry.  

2 minutes ago, DMH15 said:

Deluxe Owners Suite.  So sorry. 

Learning ropes on new format as well...lol..no problem...thank you!!

Edited by sjn911
New format learning,,,,

Just now, sjn911 said:

We had not intended to book Epic DOS originally but after our Jade cuise was cancelled (NCL moved out of Houston) we rebooked Jade out of Tampa, but that was also cancelled for a music charter.   They price protected us for Dawn or Epic.  

We chose Epic but then ponied up extra $$$ for the DOS and we loved it.  There were 3 of us.  Me, my sis and my niece.  

it was a happy twist of fate!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sjn911 said:

Pardon me,,,What is the "DOS"..thank you in advance...really sounds so great to try these on both MSC and NCL...thanks for the info.

DOS = Deluxe Owner's Suite. 

On BA/GA, NCL used to have a Deluxe Owner's Suite (H2) category and an Owner's Suite (H3) category but NCL changed the names slightly to be Deluxe Owner's Suite With Large Balcony (H2) and Deluxe Owner's Suite With Balcony (H3). The new description makes it seem as if the only difference is the balcony size but the 2 stateroom categories are completely different in size and configuration. 

On some other ships, there are higher/larger stateroom categories but for BA/GA, the DOS H2 (the real one) is the highest/largest category. 

MSC only has Owner's Suites as their highest category on some ships. They can either be configured the same (except for mirror image port and starboard) or can have different configurations depending on the ship. 

EDIT-

BA/GA = Breakaway / Getaway.

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, DMH15 said:

David, I have done both too and also a third scenario - have booked the aft suite on the Sun twice with no haven at all.  I love the Sun and loved those cruises.   

Being in the DOS on the Epic really was a different animal.  Being in the Haven was better than I expected. But although our butler, Maxi was incredible the concierge (team) were almost indifferent.  But being in the hub was great.  Nice to have workout facilities and a massage treatment room close by… I could slink back to my room after relaxing massage.  Priceless.  We found the convenient POSH a bonus. 

I am happy in any of the three scenarios.  I choose value over cost every time.  

I always like reading your posts. 

Yes!  One of my favorite suite experiences was on the Sky and they have no Haven.  The Sky used to have a port intensive itinerary so a Haven may not have been used that much anyway.  But it was the red carpet personal service that blew me away.  The concierge would personally visit you at breakfast and come to your cabin every night.  It was a level of service that I never experienced again because there are so few suites and the concierge caters to you.  On Epic in 2010 the Haven crew was outstanding.  They knew your name from the first day and greeted you by your name every day.  These bigger new ships dont have the same concierge level of service.  Even the reviews of the Prima and Viva state they dont care to know you at all.