Music Hall - is it back

Hi All,

It looks like Icon is back to having a specialty cover band for the cruise playing sometimes in Music Hall.  This used to be done on Oasis and Anthem class ships as well, and then they went away with this and had the house band play in Music hall.

Given phoenix listed as the special cover band on Icon for the current cruise, I’m wondering if each cruise will have a featured cover band musical act or if this is only being done for the first few cruises.

Thanks.

I doubt it. Why would Royal pay for cover bands that people clearly enjoyed when they can use their craptastic house band all over the ship playing the same type music all 7 days, just in different venues, for a much lower cost. Lol. I miss the coverbands..

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi All,

It looks like Icon is back to having a specialty cover band for the cruise playing sometimes in Music Hall.  This used to be done on Oasis and Anthem class ships as well, and then they went away with this and had the house band play in Music hall.

Given phoenix listed as the special cover band on Icon for the current cruise, I’m wondering if each cruise will have a featured cover band musical act or if this is only being done for the first few cruises.

Thanks.

Only on Icon.  No current plans to bring the tribute bands back to the music halls on other ships.

Are we talking about tribute bands or cover bands?  When I hear "cover band" I think of a band that plays songs by lots of different bands, whereas a tribute band (generally) is playing the music of one band (and often tries to look & sound like that band).  On Ovation this past summer there was a cover band in the Music Hall most nights (which was very good!), but the only tribute band was in the main theater (Beatles tribute).

Apologies, I meant the tribute bands rccl used to have at music hall on oasis and anthem class ships.

I wonder if a different tribute type band will remain on the Icon.  Does anyone know if a rotations will remain after phoenix?

1 hour ago, cusematt4 said:

Apologies, I meant the tribute bands rccl used to have at music hall on oasis and anthem class ships.

I wonder if a different tribute type band will remain on the Icon.  Does anyone know if a rotations will remain after phoenix?

With the prices they are charging it woukd not surprise me to see them keep the tribute bands on this ship.  

There are many things that are different than other ships thst obviously have added expenses for the cruise line.  A couple examples are the additional free venues, not only the food vast but all the extra staff and they ate open later.  There are at least 8 towel stations, all open and staffed all dsy unlike Oasis which has 4 but usually only one is open.

People talk about differences between suites and regular cabins on ships, this is very similar only comparing ship to ship with a higher level of service and staffing on this ship compared to others. Hopefully it will last and not fall to the same cutbacks that have hit other ships. 

• Like 3

We had Billboard Cancun Band in 2022-2023 and Icon Band in 2023-2024 on Anthem… mostly in Music Hall and on one occasion in Bolleros and 270. 
Loved both of them

3 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Someone enquired about the entertainment line up for the Feb 17 Icon cruise and the tribute band will be Legends of Classic Rock. According to their social media page, they’ll be on Icon throughout the year. 

On 1/31/2024 at 3:57 PM, Bead Pirate said:

Phoenix heads back to Vegas after this cruise. Cover bands are expensive for RCL, so they are used sparingly...

This is not 100% correct. Phoenix is booked on Icon for pretty much 2 weeks every month for the next 6 months or so. 

20 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Not to be nit picky, but it's Quantum class. 😉

The cover/tribute band on Anthem when we sailed her several years ago mostly played music from Boston, IIRC. We like the era, but would prefer more variety. The novelty wears off after the first night you see them play. At least it did for us. My wife's sister enjoyed really enjoyed it. 

9 minutes ago, hapster85 said:

Not to be nit picky, but it's Quantum class. 😉

The cover/tribute band on Anthem when we sailed her several years ago mostly played music from Boston, IIRC. We like the era, but would prefer more variety. The novelty wears off after the first night you see them play. At least it did for us. My wife's sister enjoyed really enjoyed it. 

What music from Boston?

We sail on Anthem once a year from 2016 - 2019 and 2 times a year 2021 - 2024

All bands in Music Hall play international hits.

Edited by Tatka

We've been so disappointed in the Music Hall's use on Oasis (x2) We absolutely loved it on Anthem but it seemed to us that it was always closed for events like silent party on Oasis. Such a great venue, wish they'd use it better in Oasis. 

On 1/31/2024 at 3:04 PM, colesc15 said:

I doubt it. Why would Royal pay for cover bands that people clearly enjoyed when they can use their craptastic house band all over the ship playing the same type music all 7 days, just in different venues, for a much lower cost. Lol. I miss the coverbands..

Agree 100%

The band on Odyssey on 1/6 was our worse ever!! Simon Cowell would have shamed them into a life boat

2 hours ago, Tatka said:

What music from Boston?

We sail on Anthem once a year from 2016 - 2019 and 2 times a year 2021 - 2024

All bands in Music Hall play international hits.

The rock band Boston

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hapster85 said:

The rock band Boston

We saw them (Boston Tribute)

DSB (Journey)

Wanted (Bon Jovi)

a Jimi Hendrix Tibute

we saw Legends of classic rock (actual members off older Rock bands) not bad

and the Beatles Tribute

I seem to remember a Led Zeppelin band as well

All of them were spectacular!!

We were bummed not to See Elevation the U2 Tribute band who is suppose to be very good.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

We were bummed not to See Elevation the U2 Tribute band who is suppose to be very good

I saw them on Odyssey in Feb. 2022.  They were fantastic!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I saw them on Odyssey in Feb. 2022.  They were fantastic!

TREE , we snuck out to see the "real deal" at the Shere in vegas in October.  To see U2 at their best you need to get out there to see that show.  MIND BLOWING!!  Get out there TREE SKIER!

2 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

TREE , we snuck out to see the "real deal" at the Shere in vegas in October.  To see U2 at their best you need to get out there to see that show.  MIND BLOWING!!  Get out there TREE SKIER!

I have been thinking about it for a while.  I really want to but the earliest I can squeeze a trip into Vegas right now is in October.  Ive seen some video clips of it.  It looks epic.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

We saw them (Boston Tribute)

DSB (Journey)

Wanted (Bon Jovi)

a Jimi Hendrix Tibute

we saw Legends of classic rock (actual members off older Rock bands) not bad

and the Beatles Tribute

I seem to remember a Led Zeppelin band as well

All of them were spectacular!!

We were bummed not to See Elevation the U2 Tribute band who is suppose to be very good.

Nice - all those tribute bands would be great to see. To add to the list, I’ve seen Pandora’s Box (Aerosmith) - we watched that one twice it was so good.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 3:57 PM, Bead Pirate said:

Phoenix heads back to Vegas after this cruise. Cover bands are expensive for RCL, so they are used sparingly...

If you check the web page for Phoenix, they are listed as playing on Icon for the next three weeks.

On 2/1/2024 at 8:06 AM, fac429 said:

Are we talking about tribute bands or cover bands?  When I hear "cover band" I think of a band that plays songs by lots of different bands, whereas a tribute band (generally) is playing the music of one band (and often tries to look & sound like that band).  On Ovation this past summer there was a cover band in the Music Hall most nights (which was very good!), but the only tribute band was in the main theater (Beatles tribute).

The cover band on Ovation are indeed excellent, full bore Killing in the Name of. Outstanding.