Voyager - Rio to BA - Norovirus and Covid

CAHW

Of course NCLH/Regent could adopt a zealous ultra-safe approach to keeping all  infectious diseases at bay ............... 

................... but I sincerely hope they continue to take a pragmatic & measured approach and that guests play their part by adhering to basic hygiene rules

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Of course NCLH/Regent could adopt a zealous ultra-safe approach to keeping all  infectious diseases at bay ............... 

................... but I sincerely hope they continue to take a pragmatic & measured approach and that guests play their part by adhering to basic hygiene rules

Back in the 60's, we lived in upstate NY, and had access to a TV station in NYC using our giant TV antenna, that broadcasted BBC shows. Mom was a huge fan, and we were introduced to Doctor Who at an early age. We all became fans of Monty Python, and I still remember how much I enjoyed "Doctor in the House" which was cancelled way too soon,

I only recently stopped watching Doctor Who, because I always cried when the Doctor regenerated (especially David Tennant). But I couldn't handle Peter Capaldi regenerating into a women who required too many companions. Now that she's gone, I might try again.

But back to your post, my brother is a big fan of "The Goes Wrong Show", and whenever we get together for dinner at his house, he shows us a few episodes. I have found it very funny, but my husband usually falls asleep, which he normally does after a big meal unless there's a Formula 1 or MotoGP race to watch.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BettyDol said:

I think that Redraider 1966 would probably be more comfortable staying home.  Just saying....

My spouse and I have taken over 35 cruises spanning 40 years on a number of different lines.  Our only personal experience with noro or any G-I related problem was on a cruise  with a self-service buffet in which the number of cases prompted an immediate and prolonged code red for which the crew was not prepared. We are currently on our 18th cruise on Oceania, which does not take such chances and its first-class buffet provides pax with ample choices and opportunities to select what and how much of what dish or dishes they want and to be served by capable and pleasant personnel.  We have two more cruises on the books with Oceania.  We just fail to see why people insist in having to serve themselves, thereby increasing the risk of spreading infection among fellow pax and crew.  Yes, the day will come when we will be more comfortable staying home, just not yet, but we're just more cautious than we were 40-50 years ago.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, redraider1966 said:

We are currently on our 18th cruise on Oceania, which does not take such chances and its first-class buffet provides pax with ample choices and opportunities to select what and how much of what dish or dishes they want and to be served by capable and pleasant personnel.  We have two more cruises on the books with Oceania. 

You do realise Oceania have also experienced outbreaks of Norovirus on their cruises. I think the last one was in 2018.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, redraider1966 said:

My spouse and I have taken over 35 cruises spanning 40 years on a number of different lines.  Our only personal experience with noro or any G-I related problem was on a cruise  with a self-service buffet in which the number of cases prompted an immediate and prolonged code red for which the crew was not prepared. We are currently on our 18th cruise on Oceania, which does not take such chances and its first-class buffet provides pax with ample choices and opportunities to select what and how much of what dish or dishes they want and to be served by capable and pleasant personnel.  We have two more cruises on the books with Oceania.  We just fail to see why people insist in having to serve themselves, thereby increasing the risk of spreading infection among fellow pax and crew.  Yes, the day will come when we will be more comfortable staying home, just not yet, but we're just more cautious than we were 40-50 years ago.

The problem with your analysis is that, notwithstanding no self-service buffets, Oceana has had outbreaks of norovirus in the past. (See, e.g. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2236267-gastroenteritis-now-on-regatta/#comment-47963938.)

Dave

6 hours ago, redraider1966 said:

We are currently on our 18th cruise on Oceania

I am glad you enjoy cruising with Oceania. We enjoy cruising with Regent. 

I am not sure why you are obsessing with the dining arrangements on Regent  🤔 

Have you ever sailed with Regent ?

Do you have a future Regent cruise in mind ?

• Haha 1

The key problem is the concept of entitlement, I want what I want and I do not care about what anyone else wants.  Yes you can pick up a virus, but the number of people who refused to follow the requested safety procedures of washing their hands is unbelievable.  People refused to either wash their hands or use the sanitizer even when directly asked to do so by crew members.  When a health emergency is declared I would think that everyone would realized that they should be doing what was requested both for their own good and that of everyone else on the ship.  I tend to follow safe health practices all the time when I travel, but that is how I was trained.  The entitlement goes beyond health problems to the chair hogs and the assignment of bus numbers for tours.  In the past you could turn in your tour ticket for a bus number as soon as you got to the theater, but now you have to wait until the tour is ready to go before you can exchange the ticket for a bus number.  In the past most people would follow the directions and stay in the theater until the tour number was called, but there were enough entitled people who went out and blocked the gangway and dock so that they could be first forcing this change in procedure.       

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Scout16 said:

The key problem is the concept of entitlement, I want what I want and I do not care about what anyone else wants.  Yes you can pick up a virus, but the number of people who refused to follow the requested safety procedures of washing their hands is unbelievable.  People refused to either wash their hands or use the sanitizer even when directly asked to do so by crew members.  When a health emergency is declared I would think that everyone would realized that they should be doing what was requested both for their own good and that of everyone else on the ship.  I tend to follow safe health practices all the time when I travel, but that is how I was trained.  The entitlement goes beyond health problems to the chair hogs and the assignment of bus numbers for tours.  In the past you could turn in your tour ticket for a bus number as soon as you got to the theater, but now you have to wait until the tour is ready to go before you can exchange the ticket for a bus number.  In the past most people would follow the directions and stay in the theater until the tour number was called, but there were enough entitled people who went out and blocked the gangway and dock so that they could be first forcing this change in procedure.       

Clarification - you are not REQUIRED to wait in the theater but you are not allowed to block the transit space for other tours. Since Covid became a thing, I won't spend any more time than I need to in the theater. I wait outside the theater and far from any transit path. I am close enough to a staff member that I can hear them call our tour on the staff member's radio. This way, I can stay away from people who are obviously sick and, at the same time, not intrude upon the right of others to have clear passage to their bus. Also, people who have movement issues can get a head start and go out to the Destination staff on the dock.

Edited by Pcardad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Fox news posted a story about Noro on a couple of big ships,  Sapphire Princess and Radiance of the Sea.  Noro has been around for years but now the news wants to sensationalize it. The total is just over 3% of the passengers.... Not newsworthy and damaging to an industry recovering from COVID.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 6:39 AM, fizzy said:

Are the Oceania passengers causing their noro outbreaks despite the no self serve protocols? We very much love the choices on Regent.

Have been on nearly 50 cruises on 6 different cruise lines. Only time encountered Noro Virus was on an Oceania cruise. IMHO the staff served system on Oceania creates crowds at the Terrace Cafe and create the facade if a more overall sanitary environment without the reality. Waiting in a crowd at the dessert area of the Terrace on Vista with folks barking instructions to servers and breathing all over each other seems a lot less sanitary (and less pleasant) than serving plated desserts to myself in an uncrowded, relaxed atmosphere on Regent Splendor. I experienced both in the last two months.

• Like 4

On 2/29/2024 at 7:44 PM, DaveFr said:

The problem with your analysis is that, notwithstanding no self-service buffets, Oceana has had outbreaks of norovirus in the past. (See, e.g. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2236267-gastroenteritis-now-on-regatta/#comment-47963938.)

Dave

Yes. We were on the Marina. The cruise before and after had very strict protocols due to Noro.  No self service. Spray on the walls to prevent spread. Well cooked meats.