No air conditioning Grand Princess

organist65

20 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The Grand fixed all the leaks by the time I cruised her post pandemic.  If Princess decides to remove the Grand, I would love to see them clone her first and then build smaller ships.  

Amen

• Like 2

We recently did 63 days on Grand Princess and the AC was cranked up so high that many people wore coats in the theater. Everybody complained about it being so cold in that venue but nothing was done to alleviate the problem.

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The Grand fixed all the leaks by the time I cruised her post pandemic.  If Princess decides to remove the Grand, I would love to see them clone her first and then build smaller ships.  

I will drink to that!!! Cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

We recently did 63 days on Grand Princess and the AC was cranked up so high that many people wore coats in the theater. Everybody complained about it being so cold in that venue but nothing was done to alleviate the problem.

Par for the course, buddy, because they will do nothing about this situation. I guess they turned it up so high for you all they broke the compressor. Ahhahahha....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Isadoramorris said:

Par for the course, buddy, because they will do nothing about this situation. I guess they turned it up so high for you all they broke the compressor. Ahhahahha....

May have been trying to compensate for the lack of AC in the Aft?  Who knows.

Hope you are able to enjoy Dravuni Island today and it’s very special people.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Isadoramorris said:

Update. Just went and spoke with the supervisor who said there is nothing they can do as approximately 200 cabins are affected and that it is an old ship. Nothing they can do about it.

Old ship?  I hope you have that supervisor's name and that you take the time to reach out to management about it after you get back.  If they can't get things functioning correctly they shouldn't be selling luxury vacations on the "old ship", they should be retiring it.  At the very least you should have all gotten an apology letter with some sort of compensation for the inconvenience.  As an example we called guest services after returning back to our cabin and not having air conditioning on the Emerald Princess a few years ago.  The AC was restored a short while later, it was a situation affecting multiple cabins and public areas like what you're experiencing on the Grand (but for a shorter duration).  And shortly thereafter we received a letter apologizing for the situation with a note that they were giving us $150 each in OBC for the inconvenience.  We didn't ask about compensation, they offered.  That's they way it should be - and how it used to be on Princess.

• Like 4

Very disappointing to hear and read. I happen to like the Grand. Sadly, I don't see Princess building smaller ships anytime soon and the brand is no longer grand and has sailed away from me

• Like 1

Original OP here. We finally have AC!! I was really nervous they would need a part they could only get in Australia to fix it and we have 5 sea days back. But, after 3 days of no AC, we have it back. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MissP22 said:

That's why I get rid of my car every few years. Even with maintenance, the older they are the more that goes wrong. 

I have a 20 year old car.  Nothing has ever happened that wasn't caused by a collision. 

Think of all the money I've saved in car payments, increased insurance and oil changes.  I bought the $300 lifetime oil package when we bought the car!  Oil changes, fluid refills, tire rotations and complete inspections every 3 months.  Still get 43 mpg.  

I'm happy with my car and will drive it until it dies. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, justafem said:

I have a 20 year old car.  Nothing has ever happened that wasn't caused by a collision. 

Think of all the money I've saved in car payments, increased insurance and oil changes.  I bought the $300 lifetime oil package when we bought the car!  Oil changes, fluid refills, tire rotations and complete inspections every 3 months.  Still get 43 mpg.  

I'm happy with my car and will drive it until it dies. 

Congrads. Wish you many more miles. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Old ship?  I hope you have that supervisor's name and that you take the time to reach out to management about it after you get back.  If they can't get things functioning correctly they shouldn't be selling luxury vacations on the "old ship", they should be retiring it.  At the very least you should have all gotten an apology letter with some sort of compensation for the inconvenience.  As an example we called guest services after returning back to our cabin and not having air conditioning on the Emerald Princess a few years ago.  The AC was restored a short while later, it was a situation affecting multiple cabins and public areas like what you're experiencing on the Grand (but for a shorter duration).  And shortly thereafter we received a letter apologizing for the situation with a note that they were giving us $150 each in OBC for the inconvenience.  We didn't ask about compensation, they offered.  That's they way it should be - and how it used to be on Princess.

I am hearing rumors that Princess may be selling the Grand.  I always have loved the crew on the Grand however, the ship does need to exit the Princess fleet.  She no longer represents the Princess brand.  In the meantime, they are giving themselves a bit of a black eye for not properly maintaining her.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I am hearing rumors that Princess may be selling the Grand.  I always have loved the crew on the Grand however, the ship does need to exit the Princess fleet.  She no longer represents the Princess brand.  In the meantime, they are giving themselves a bit of a black eye for not properly maintaining her.  

I feel the same. I have much affection for the Golden (sold) and the Grand, even the Crown. To us, this is Princess. I too wish that she had better maintained. We loved the Grand when sailing a long itinerary Alaska cruise in September 2022 out of Vancouver. We were about 5-6 hours late leaving port due to an engine issue. We left the dock (barely) and then backed right back in. Thankfully, it was fixed but the itinerary was changed and we missed a port; Icy Strait I think. The Captain was a sweetheart and EVERY PERSON (not cabin), received $125.00 in OBC.

Edited by nini
spelling
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, nini said:

I feel the same. I have much affection for the Golden (sold) and the Grand, even the Crown. To us, this is Princess. I too wish that she had better maintained. We loved the Grand when sailing a long itinerary Alaska cruise in September 2022 out of Vancouver. We were about 5-6 hours late leaving port due to an engine issue. We left the dock (barely) and then backed right back in. Thankfully, it was fixed but the itinerary was changed and we missed a port; Icy Strait I think. The Captain was a sweetheart and EVERY PERSON (not cabin), received $125.00 in OBC.

Wow!  That was generous. 

10 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Wow!  That was generous. 

That is what we thought. It was either $125.00 or $150.00. The Captain and about 8 Officers also attended our CC Meet & Greet.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, organist65 said:

Original OP here. We finally have AC!! I was really nervous they would need a part they could only get in Australia to fix it and we have 5 sea days back. But, after 3 days of no AC, we have it back. 

Glad to hear the A/C is back. I hope because it was not a quick fix, information regarding possible compensation has to been co ordinated with Corporate once fixed, so hopefully you will report back if any compensation is being offered.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wallyj said:

Glad to hear the A/C is back. I hope because it was not a quick fix, information regarding possible compensation has to been co ordinated with Corporate once fixed, so hopefully you will report back if any compensation is being offered.

When the Grand was 5 hours late departing in Vancouver, BC the Captain very quickly gave each person (not cabin) $125.00 in OBC. Because of the late departure, we would be missing a port.

On 2/4/2024 at 12:01 AM, organist65 said:

No. We asked the service desk last night and they said it was supposed to be fixed by end of day yesterday.  I never imagined or heard of this happening! It is so uncomfortable. 

i've stayed at hotels/resorts where the ac was broken and took them a couple of days to fix. it sucks but it happens. 

On 2/4/2024 at 10:49 AM, MissP22 said:

Yes, it can happen on any ship at any time but considering the age of those older ships, it more likely to occur as well as plumbing blockages and overall appearances such as rust, sagging mattresses, wear and tear, etc. 

if ships are like buildings, the new stuff especially in first year or two have highest chance of breaking down, much moreso than older equipment.

there's usually a sweet spot around 5-15yrs for chillers in multi unit buildings i find 

but if had to choose/predict, i'll choose older over brand new (~2yrs or less) for reliability 

Edited by gilboman

58 minutes ago, gilboman said:

if ships are like buildings, the new stuff especially in first year or two have highest chance of breaking down, much moreso than older equipment.

there's usually a sweet spot around 5-15yrs for chillers in multi unit buildings i find 

but if had to choose/predict, i'll choose older over brand new (~2yrs or less) for reliability 

It's a good thing we all don't prefer the same type ships, otherwise the prices would be higher than they are now. 😄

1 hour ago, gilboman said:

i've stayed at hotels/resorts where the ac was broken and took them a couple of days to fix. it sucks but it happens. 

We are not speaking about a hotel here, remember? And, if you are staying at a Conrad or some such hotel where you pay a pretty penny, you are told of the inconvenience and given some sort of compensation. Here, there was none of that. Indeed, staying at a motel 6, you would probably such it up by saying ---- happens. This is Princess, not a motel six. See what I am saying?