Stay Awhile

My friends did in Med. It was on Symphony  or Harmony and they spent most days exploring cities, so they wanted their kids to experience ship more.

They did not complain.

I know Stay Awhile can't be done in the US, but it seems cruise lines are missing out by not having some facility at the port or nearby where people could wait a couple hours. Put some food and drink options in there and people would pay.

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I know Stay Awhile can't be done in the US, but it seems cruise lines are missing out by not having some facility at the port or nearby where people could wait a couple hours. Put some food and drink options in there and people would pay.

They want you gone asap to make way for the next lot. Encouraging folks to hang around the port all morning would cause even more congestion and create major parking issues.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

Personally, I can’t think of anything worse. The last morning is a major downer. Delaying the inevitable and paying for the privilege….. no thank you. But each to their own. 

I am with you there.  Get me the hell back home to Maine, until next time.

• Like 2

Since we have an 8-hour drive ahead of us, we always want to disembark quickly and start driving. 

Even if this weren't my reality, staying on the ship doesn't particularly sound appealing /worth money.  All the ship's amenities would be closed.  After breakfast we could sit by the pool, but we wouldn't have a shower in which to clean up afterward.  No, if I had a late flight, I'd rather do something around town.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, livetravelcruise07 said:

Has anyone done the Stay Awhile through Royal? It popped up today through the onboard activities and I am wondering if it is worth it. It's $50 a person and it's a late disembarkation. Let me know what your thoughts are! 🙂 

My recommendation for a late flight home is to book a day room in an airport hotel.   In warm weather destinations its nice to sit by the pool, get lunch, have a room to have a nap, shower in.

Otherwise, if not too late a flight, do the ships tour that ends up at the airport.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Tatka said:

My friends did in Med. It was on Symphony  or Harmony and they spent most days exploring cities, so they wanted their kids to experience ship more.

They did not complain.

Do you know how much longer they had on the ship until they had to get off??

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Personally, I can’t think of anything worse. The last morning is a major downer. Delaying the inevitable and paying for the privilege….. no thank you. But each to their own. 

If you have a much later flight, say 3 or 4 O'clock, it would be much better than sitting around an airport...itsh!  We've always booked an early flight home and I wouldn't pay for it, but some would.

Edited by BecciBoo

15 minutes ago, Minuet888 said:

I don't see this option anywhere on my cruise.  We have a few hours to kill and wouldn't mind it. Not much to do in New Jersey port from what I hear.

See post #6 - it cannot be done in the USA. 

Royal's Stay Awhile FAQ says "Perfect for those with later flights, Stay Awhile* allows you to depart the ship at your leisure — up to 90 minutes before the ship leaves port. We’ll handle your luggage while you enjoy a late breakfast or lunch at Windjammer Café, pamper yourself at the VitalitySM Spa or take in the sun on the pool deck. So kick back, relax and stay awhile."

This makes a lot of sense for the cruises where they interport. (Rome/Barcelona)  Since there are passengers for whom it is a regular port stop, ship's amenities remain open like any other port day.  They handle your luggage so the stateroom gets turned around for the next passenger ,so I doubt you would have stateroom access after a certain time in the morning. If the amount of time you want to spend on the ship on departure day is worth the $50 for you it sounds like a nice option to have.

• Like 1