Driver license will expire 2 days after cruise.

Thad409

My Driver License will expire 2 days after we return from our cruise. We leave on the 11th on the Breeze returning on the 16th and DL expires on the 18th. Should I be concerned? Thanks.

In my experience, anyone looking at DL is doing so for the photo.  Always just a quick glance.

Agree with others it could make for a bigger chore to renew at home afterwards.

1 hour ago, Thad409 said:

My Driver License will expire 2 days after we return from our cruise. We leave on the 11th on the Breeze returning on the 16th and DL expires on the 18th. Should I be concerned? Thanks.

Are you going to be incapacitated between now and when you go on your cruise? Why can't you get it renewed before.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Don’t know where you live, but in Florida you get your renewal notice a month and a half before it expires. You even have the option to renew by mail in most cases. If you waited until your license was almost expired, then you have to go to the DMV to renew. Just wondering why you haven’t renewed prior to your cruise, then you wouldn’t have to worry about it.

• Like 1

Why would this be a question on here? Not related to cruising and the fact that it expire 2 days after you cruise. The only reason you would be concerned is if you need to drive home and it takes more than 2 days. Please renew your DL card now before you cruise if possible. If not, then do so asap once you get back from your vacation. What bostwick girl said is true. You should have received a notice in the mail. Even if you did not and you know that your DL is about to expire, you should go renew it.

• Like 1

Wow, so many people can’t wait to jump on someone. You are all so superior. 
Perhaps this person is asking because a passport isn’t accepted so close to experation and they were concerned the same might be true if you are traveling with a birth certificate and a license as your picture ID. Nobody here as ever messed up and let renewing something come down to the last minute.

• Like 2

Nobody is jumping on the OP. We're just wondering out loud why they wouldn't renew their DL in the more than two weeks they have prior to the cruise. There might be a perfectly good reason for their decision. But it just seems like an easy solution.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Thad409 said:

No as long as its valid the day you getback

1 hour ago, jerryg95 said:

Wow, so many people can’t wait to jump on someone. You are all so superior. 
Perhaps this person is asking because a passport isn’t accepted so close to experation and they were concerned the same might be true if you are traveling with a birth certificate and a license as your picture ID. Nobody here as ever messed up and let renewing something come down to the last minute.

You are imagining a scenario that is not happening in this thread.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, jsglow said:

Nobody is jumping on the OP. We're just wondering out loud why they wouldn't renew their DL in the more than two weeks they have prior to the cruise. There might be a perfectly good reason for their decision. But it just seems like an easy solution.

8 hours ago, mz-s said:

You are imagining a scenario that is not happening in this thread.

Well, it all depends on point of view, I suppose, but some of the responses can be read as being harsh even if they weren't intended that way. Many states will mail the new license even if one goes in person for the renewal and that process can take up to 30 days. Many people forget to check expiry dates when booking their cruise. Why? Because they are human. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The responses did sound harsh and judgmental!

And it is a reasonable question - since international travel usually requires a passport that is not within six months of expiration. Basically, might the same six months rule apply to d/ls when being used in lieu of a passport?

• Like 2

My wife takes her expired drivers license with her when she gets off the ship at the various ports as identification. The people at the ports we have gone to in the Caribbean give it only a cursory look and wave you through. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrinaLC said:

The responses did sound harsh and judgmental!

And it is a reasonable question - since international travel usually requires a passport that is not within six months of expiration. Basically, might the same six months rule apply to d/ls when being used in lieu of a passport?

The only requirement (if using it on a closed loop cruise) is that it be unexpired AFAIK.