Are Satellite Phones allowed on RC cruises?

Hi,

Wondering if anyone knows if Satellite phones are allowed on the RC cruises around Australia and New Zealand (or anywhere else really)? I have one already, I just activate it when I need it.

Hoping to avoid internet while cruising and just need to call or receive a call every now and then.  Thanks, JT

1 hour ago, Thomo7 said:

Hi,

Wondering if anyone knows if Satellite phones are allowed on the RC cruises around Australia and New Zealand (or anywhere else really)? I have one already, I just activate it when I need it.

Hoping to avoid internet while cruising and just need to call or receive a call every now and then.  Thanks, JT

Isn't it much cheaper overall to buy wifi for one device and then use a router?  We were looking at these at one point for my husband for work but decided it was just too much.  I guess if you just activate as needed like you are, it's worth it.

We actually saw someone using one on one of our cruises while in port one morning but we were in the Caribbean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thomo7 said:

Hi,

That would be my third choice behind using WiFi calling and the onboard cell tower. But I don’t know the specifics about the ship you are on and the costs on your satellite plan. 

• Thanks 1

It may depend on your Sat phone provider but when I Iast used one it was sensitive to having a clear sky visible in all directions.  From the side of a ship while on the balcony you have limited line of sight toward the sky losing 180° "behind" you..  Standing on the top deck would yield a better outcome.  

I had GlobalStar service using a GSP-1600 handset and it was very particular about line of sight to the sky.  So much so I would need to go clear into the middle of my backyard to get reliable service.  Standing on my patio next to my house would yield poor results.   Standing near a tree would at times reduce operational service.  

Given the use of Starlink internet now on ships if my GSP-1600 experience is similar to what you experience I'd much rather just go with Starlink and buy a Voom plan using Wi-Fi calling on my cell phone.   

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Thomo7 said:

Hi,

Who would stop you?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Isn't it much cheaper overall to buy wifi for one device and then use a router?  We were looking at these at one point for my husband for work but decided it was just too much.  I guess if you just activate as needed like you are, it's worth it.

We actually saw someone using one on one of our cruises while in port one morning but we were in the Caribbean.

Thanks for that. Not sure about a router, would have to buy one I guess. I think sat calls are expensive but we won't be using it much and cost starts at  31AUD per guest per day and not sure if we both have to get it or not for that. 

22 hours ago, BND said:

That's an expensive way to make/receive a phone call.

Yes, BND I think so but 'tis only for the occasional check on family and business.

22 hours ago, jakeil7 said:

That would be my third choice behind using WiFi calling and the onboard cell tower. But I don’t know the specifics about the ship you are on and the costs on your satellite plan. 

JakeIl7, as I mentioned to Jean87510 the cost per day starts at 31AUD about 20USD per day per guest. Our mobile plan works out at $1.00 AUD (abt 63US cents) per minute for calls on roaming and 50cents per text. 

20 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I didn't know Jack Ryan was a cruiser.

Sorry smokeybandit, no idea re your reference. But do like Smokey and the Bandit!

20 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Probably much cheaper to call via your cell phone connected to Cellular at Sea. 

Thank you Another_Critic, after reading the responses from all I'm looking into the details of the cost of the sat calls (yes, I know I should have checked that first) Seems silly worrying about the price differences but it all adds up!

15 hours ago, steveru621 said:

Yes they are allowed.

Thanks Steveru621, short and sweet. I couldn't see a ban anywhere online but did want to check rather than risk it being confiscated when we arrived! Cheers. 

14 hours ago, twangster said:

It may depend on your Sat phone provider but when I Iast used one it was sensitive to having a clear sky visible in all directions.  From the side of a ship while on the balcony you have limited line of sight toward the sky losing 180° "behind" you..  Standing on the top deck would yield a better outcome.  

I had GlobalStar service using a GSP-1600 handset and it was very particular about line of sight to the sky.  So much so I would need to go clear into the middle of my backyard to get reliable service.  Standing on my patio next to my house would yield poor results.   Standing near a tree would at times reduce operational service.  

Given the use of Starlink internet now on ships if my GSP-1600 experience is similar to what you experience I'd much rather just go with Starlink and buy a Voom plan using Wi-Fi calling on my cell phone.   

Thanks Twangster, will definitely weigh that up. We haven't used it a lot and usually in areas that are very open, might have to test it a bit more (and check the call costs again) before deciding. We have a couple of weeks to decide. 

Appreciate all the input. Cheers, JT