No Refund Policy with Celebrity

stevenr597

Why is there such a visceral need to savagely refute or gaslight the OP? This happens frequently across the different cruise line threads. Our experiences are our own and cruise lines are consistently inconsistent. Just because an issue was handled one way last month doesn't mean it will be handled the same way today. Same with service, food, etc.

I don't post much but I've been on here a while and I love the valuable information and trip reports, but sincerely dislike some of the uncivil, nasty stuff.

PLEASE, love each other and be nice.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, sciencegrrl said:

Why is there such a visceral need to savagely refute or gaslight the OP? This happens frequently across the different cruise line threads. Our experiences are our own and cruise lines are consistently inconsistent. Just because an issue was handled one way last month doesn't mean it will be handled the same way today. Same with service, food, etc.

I don't post much but I've been on here a while and I love the valuable information and trip reports, but sincerely dislike some of the uncivil, nasty stuff.

There are those who love the 'right fight' game.  Back and forth on CC seems to fill their day...😉.  Some of it is actually helpful but mostly I just read and pass....nothing to see here.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, sciencegrrl said:

I come from a business and technology background.  Discussions are based on evidence.  It would have taken OP 15 minutes at the beginning to document his evidence that there is a problem.  Either by explaining in more detail (saying this is what I did) or screenshots as RichYak did.  

Documenting clearly that there is a problem can help many people.  I’m rather tired of people coming on here complaining about things without any substantiation.

I’ll apologize to the OP for doubting them.  I hope in future we get to the truth faster.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, RichYak said:

I think what OP is saying is that it is possible to click through to the confirmation page using the top banner—not scrolling down to click the “Continue” button. By doing this, one might never even see the refundable deposit option. 

Huh. I have never seen “Continue” without scrolling all the way down anyway.

But again I guess this is where I am weird…I always scroll down and check things (and for hotel bookings will read the rate rules before I click confirm). If you choose to just make assumptions and not scroll down - or check rate rules - that is 100% on you, not the cruise line.

9 hours ago, RichYak said:

I used safari earlier. I just tried again using safari with the same results. Step 2 of 3 Customize your trip has 2 pages. The first is to choose cruise only or AI. “Review and pay” is greyed out as seen in the first image. The second image was captured on page 2 of “customize your trip” without scrolling down to the deposit options. “Review and pay” is no longer greyed out. 

CEADE001-C433-4B83-BABE-CC4DB3C80003.png

AAAAB45D-554C-4569-A7C3-6FDEB1BAB229.png

These screenshots look like from a mobile device.  I was using the desktop version of the website.  Maybe that's the difference.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, prmssk said:

These screenshots look like from a mobile device.  I was using the desktop version of the website.  Maybe that's the difference.

From my laptop just now. Note the active "Review and Pay" button after clicking "TRIP SUBTOTAL" and I have not scrolled down to even see the dining/deposit etc. choices.

review and pay.JPG

Edited by RichYak

48 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Huh. I have never seen “Continue” without scrolling all the way down anyway.

But again I guess this is where I am weird…I always scroll down and check things (and for hotel bookings will read the rate rules before I click confirm). If you choose to just make assumptions and not scroll down - or check rate rules - that is 100% on you, not the cruise line.

Must disagree, it is also the responsibility of the cruise line to make it clear, exactly what your are purchasing.  

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I come from a business and technology background.  Discussions are based on evidence.  It would have taken OP 15 minutes at the beginning to document his evidence that there is a problem.  Either by explaining in more detail (saying this is what I did) or screenshots as RichYak did.  

Documenting clearly that there is a problem can help many people.  I’m rather tired of people coming on here complaining about things without any substantiation.

I’ll apologize to the OP for doubting them.  I hope in future we get to the truth faster.

Have to disagree with your comments….again.  Suggest that you read my first posting, which was quite clear in respect to the problem we had experienced.  

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 2:27 PM, stevenr597 said:

We booked the cruise through a travel agent and only received the invoice after we included a deposit.  There was no warning that the deposit was non-refundable.

The forensic dissection of the website is interesting, but the OP didn't use it to book. See above.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

People booking multiple 'back up cruises' to decide on later and filling the high price suites at deployment then canceling at day 91 are the root of the cause for Celebrity's more stringent deposit price and refund options. 

Thanks for sharing that piece of information. I always wondered why Celebrity introduced that 20% "refundable deposit" surcharge once the demand really started to rise in a big way after the pandemic.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

There are those who love the 'right fight' game.  Back and forth on CC seems to fill their day...😉.  Some of it is actually helpful but mostly I just read and pass....nothing to see here.

yes,  many  like Jim and Jelayne ..are very helpful to those of us who are tech challenged (me),  or make a mistake at times (me)   or inexperienced with booking (not me).   Help is usually much appreciated!

For those who chide without helping or are just showing off, I hit my imaginary ignore button and move on.  

Edited by hcat
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hrhdhd said:

The forensic dissection of the website is interesting, but the OP didn't use it to book. See above.

You mean they used a TA who gave them wrong information?  I don’t understand why people don’t confirm things before spending money.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

From my laptop just now. Note the active "Review and Pay" button after clicking "TRIP SUBTOTAL" and I have not scrolled down to even see the dining/deposit etc. choices.

review and pay.JPG

Thank you for the screen shots.  That was the one button I didn't click on (I'm usually looking for the ultimate total not the subtotal) as I tried to figure out how someone skipped a step that to me, is such an integral part of how I price or book any cruise.

Back to OP's original post, we made a booking decision about a cruise last year that in hindsight I realized cost us a fair amount of money.  We were using a TA for that cruise.  I have to admit it really left a bad taste in my mouth about that TA because to me, one of the benefits of using one is for their expertise to help me make the best booking decisions.  I expect a good TA to be that second eye to catch things I don't.  But I also felt an immense amount of guilt because she was acting on my instructions and it was something I should have done more research on.  I feel it is my responsibility to know what I'm booking.

17 hours ago, RTShaker said:

Right, no more FCC, but if you change the ship/sail date it costs you $100pp. I just did this in November.

Is $100pp fee for a switch a new policy since last March change?  When I called Celebrity last March right after that chance, I was told that a deposit for non-refundable booking is totally not refundable no matter what, whether cancel or rebook anyhow (no $100 pp for a change, just total loss of the full deposit).

36 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You mean they used a TA who gave them wrong information?  I don’t understand why people don’t confirm things before spending money.

I knew you'd still be mad. 😄

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

You are so logical.   LOL.       Will be fun to see how many want to debate your quote.

2 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

I think the forensic dissection of the website only came up because OP brought up the lack of clarity on the website (see post 59), I think to justify why they weren't aware of the deposit policy.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

You are so logical.   LOL.       Will be fun to see how many want to debate your quote.

Really not fun at all....IMO.  And debate isn't the word actually...it's one-up-manship.  Bet the OP isn't having fun with the hits on his legitimate concern.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 4:46 PM, wrk2cruise said:

You can book refundable and later change to a non refundable deposit rate.  Once a reservation is non refundable deposit it can never be changed back to refundable.

Have thought about doing that when booking a cruise well in the future..... only issue may be that the same rate may not be available as when originally booked or the stateroom cancelled may disappear immediately on cancelling if you aren't quick enough to rebook....

Have you done this?

48 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Really not fun at all....IMO.  And debate isn't the word actually...it's one-up-manship.  Bet the OP isn't having fun with the hits on his legitimate concern.

I was sure that anything posted would fire up someone.   Congratulations. 

I was in no way not respectful to the OP but pointing out that people like you to flame any response.  "One-Up-Manship" may not be a word but I think most readers understand an extra hyphen was put into One- Upmanship.

My response was to the statement that most of the posters were ignoring the OP's original statement she booked with an agent not on Celebrity direct.    Which is a valid statement.

16 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Have thought about doing that when booking a cruise well in the future..... only issue may be that the same rate may not be available as when originally booked or the stateroom cancelled may disappear immediately on cancelling if you aren't quick enough to rebook....

Have you done this?

I've done it before -   as for rate when I made the change was that it was still substantially cheaper then the Refundable Rate.   In the case of a CS on a recent cruise the cost of NR was $3,000 more than Refundable.      When you cancel a reservation you room immediately comes back into inventory and you our your agent can then grab it immediately.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was sure that anything posted would fire up someone.   Congratulations. 

I was in no way not respectful to the OP but pointing out that people like you to flame any response.  "One-Up-Manship" may not be a word but I think most readers understand an extra hyphen was put into One- Upmanship.

My response was to the statement that most of the posters were ignoring the OP's original statement she booked with an agent not on Celebrity direct.    Which is a valid statement.

Mea culpa....I did not intend to be taking a shot at you.  As you are usually one who posts in an informative manner,  I am surprised that your goal was to fire up someone and that it would be 'fun' to see the reaction to another's post.  The back and forth 'debate' re this topic doesn't seem to be helpful IMHO.  Re extra hyphen...I should slow down in my responses as I know they are vulnerable to dissection by some on CC.    I look the other way usually to anyone's quickly written posts...we all have somewhat different ways of communicating.  BTW, the sarcasm wasn't lost on me, but I could pick a little at the grammar in your last few posts if I was that kind of person....😇.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

Have to agree..   I apologize if I came on too strong.  

All so often people want to debate and criticize in lieu of providing constructive criticism.   One of the problems with forums is that written text is often absent facial expression and smirks and smiles.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

Have to agree..   I apologize if I came on too strong.  

All so often people want to debate and criticize in lieu of providing constructive criticism.   One of the problems with forums is that written text is often absent facial expression and smirks and smiles.  

Guess that's what emoji's are for...some people hate them but IMO they do soften the text or drive home the point if that's the intention.    I'll try to find one that smirks....LOL.....maybe the zipper mouth one is more appropriate in my case.   🤐