Anyone Else Leaving or Considering Leaving RCL Over Prices?

37 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Thanks...very interesting.  But from reading it...IMHO...fluff and stuff.   "Alluding"...had my attention.  

No worries...been there done that...going on to other venues while I am still on this planet.  😉 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

I think RCI saw how much people were willing to pay to cruise on Icon and to a lesser degree Oasis class ships and changed accordingly. Just my opinion, but that’s why I think RCI decided to build another Oasis class ship and also why there has been little to no “talk” recently about project discovery or anything similar related to building a newer, smaller class ship. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think RCI saw how much people were willing to pay to cruise on Icon and to a lesser degree Oasis class ships and changed accordingly. Just my opinion, but that’s why I think RCI decided to build another Oasis class ship and also why there has been little to no “talk” recently about project discovery or anything similar related to building a newer, smaller class ship. 

Survival of the most popular or financially fittest seems to be a good observation. I am going in your mental direction.

I am not saying it is wrong, just not going in the direction I would like.

Again, lamenting being left behind as Royal goes in a new direction as they try to survive a pandemic extinction event.

I have other opportunities as I cruise less with Royal.

It is what it is.

On 2/29/2024 at 4:56 PM, steveru621 said:

No,

$14 X 12 drinks X 7 days = $1,176

If you paying for them on Royal. But with MSC and Virgin, you can get all the drinks you want for about 1/2 of that. Plus free wifi and on Virgin, no tipping. So what are you really getting?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

True, even Pre-CV my longer 10+ nite Cruises on Radiance class were cheaper then Larger Ships doing Shorter Sailings. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Morecruisesplz said:

If you paying for them on Royal. But with MSC and Virgin, you can get all the drinks you want for about 1/2 of that. Plus free wifi and on Virgin, no tipping. So what are you really getting?

Notice those cruise lines don't provide those perks for loyalty members instead spreads the cost to everyone on the ship. 

1 hour ago, SUgwoz said:

Notice those cruise lines don't provide those perks for loyalty members instead spreads the cost to everyone on the ship. 

That’s exactly what Celebrity did when they briefly went to fares that included WiFi, drinks and gratuities. The cost was spread out to all passengers. I booked a few cruises that were significantly less than what I paid for Celebrity cruises in the past (taking into account the perks I paid for separately). Unfortunately Celebrity received a lot of negative feedback so everyone paying “all inclusive” fares did not last long. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2024 at 1:49 PM, island lady said:

Now...they have filed chapter 11 ...doubt I will ever see our money  back again from that one.  

"A deadline to put in bids for the American Queen Voyages (AQV) cruise fleet is nearing, as a Texas bankruptcy court has set March 25 at 4:00 p.m. local time as a deadline for interested parties to make qualified bids.

The assets include four paddlewheel cruise ships for river operations, two coastal vessels and a summer charter deal for an expedition ship that extends to 2031.

Parties are able to bid on individual assets or all of them, per court documents.

Depending on the number of bids and their qualifications, an auction could be held to determine the winner.

An auction, if necessary, would be held on March 27 at 9:00 a.m. local time. The winning bidder could be revealed as soon as March 27 if there is no auction, or March 28 following a potential auction. A deadline for objections is April 1."

Bid Deadline Nears For American Queen Cruise Fleet - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

"A deadline to put in bids for the American Queen Voyages (AQV) cruise fleet is nearing, as a Texas bankruptcy court has set March 25 at 4:00 p.m. local time as a deadline for interested parties to make qualified bids.

The assets include four paddlewheel cruise ships for river operations, two coastal vessels and a summer charter deal for an expedition ship that extends to 2031.

Parties are able to bid on individual assets or all of them, per court documents.

Depending on the number of bids and their qualifications, an auction could be held to determine the winner.

An auction, if necessary, would be held on March 27 at 9:00 a.m. local time. The winning bidder could be revealed as soon as March 27 if there is no auction, or March 28 following a potential auction. A deadline for objections is April 1."

Bid Deadline Nears For American Queen Cruise Fleet - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

Thanks Biker.  I am going through the process they outlined for applying for refund.  Did receive the official notice of chapter 11/bankruptcy as it relates to Texas law.  

I still don't think we will see any money back from it, ....and don't want to hold my breath and have everyone wonder..."Why so blue"?  😉 

Now that we are going back to the newer Carnival ships, I'll let you know if the $1000 difference in price is worth it.  We won't get our free drinks but as we age we find its less and less important.  Goofy enough without the liquor! LOL  Don't seem to be hardly any perks left anyways.  And if we like the Jubilee we'll be booking her again,  We can get one of her coveted foward Cloud 9 Extended balconies for around $2700 rivaling Wonder and certainly Icon, which I'm glad to be able to do at least once, but probably can't do another with her rising fares.  I'm looking forward to trying Jubilee, since Carnival is moving to more RCCL like design and features.  I'll probably put a review on the Carnival page.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Now that we are going back to the newer Carnival ships, I'll let you know if the $1000 difference in price is worth it.  We won't get our free drinks but as we age we find its less and less important.  Goofy enough without the liquor! LOL  Don't seem to be hardly any perks left anyways.  And if we like the Jubilee we'll be booking her again,  We can get one of her coveted foward Cloud 9 Extended balconies for around $2700 rivaling Wonder and certainly Icon, which I'm glad to be able to do at least once, but probably can't do another with her rising fares.  I'm looking forward to trying Jubilee, since Carnival is moving to more RCCL like design and features.  I'll probably put a review on the Carnival page.

Just my opinion but I'd do dream class if you are booking a cloud 9 spa cabin. Dream class is the only carnival class with the T pools. Wave and minerals. Yes heated benches and all that but only dream class has the T pools. 

Jubilee will have more food choices but they moved on to Havana area vista class then mardi gras class has a new elite area. Spa class is a afterthought. 

I'm going to push on to pinnacle on royal. Got 18 booked, so I will do these and hope prices fall. Decide then.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm going to push on to pinnacle on royal. Got 18 booked, so I will do these and hope prices fall. Decide then.

Ironically, having made Pinnacle awhile ago...we are now booking with other lines as well.  Just not happy with all the cut backs.  If I am going to pay top dollar anyway, I would rather find a line that will fill what is now missing with RCI that we used to enjoy.  So many little things are adding up, and being Pinnie...it is just not what it used to be.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, island lady said:

Ironically, having made Pinnacle awhile ago...we are now booking with other lines as well.  Just not happy with all the cut backs.  If I am going to pay top dollar anyway, I would rather find a line that will fill what is now missing with RCI that we used to enjoy.  So many little things are adding up, and being Pinnie...it is just not what it used to be.  

Well my thinking is the same as January I pushed to diamond on carnival, lock it in before it changes. Now I'll lock in pinnacle. I sure wish I could make it before the TA and have that free wifi for 13 then 10 days. I'm too far away. But I will make pinnacle and like you then look around more. But I want to lock it in before they change it. I dont trust them not to change the points. 

I dont have any really high priced booked, not like icon prices. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Well my thinking is the same as January I pushed to diamond on carnival, lock it in before it changes. Now I'll lock in pinnacle. I sure wish I could make it before the TA and have that free wifi for 13 then 10 days. I'm too far away. But I will make pinnacle and like you then look around more. But I want to lock it in before they change it. I dont trust them not to change the points. 

I dont have any really high priced booked, not like icon prices. 

Agree there.   I have one short cruise booked with Allure, since it is convenient being local (want to see Mamma Mia 😉 )...and then we are pretty much done with the mega ships.  Not interested in the theme park atmosphere and don't need to pay for those features I won't use.    

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, island lady said:

Agree there.   I have one short cruise booked with Allure, since it is convenient being local (want to see Mamma Mia 😉 )...and then we are pretty much done with the mega ships.  Not interested in the theme park atmosphere and don't need to pay for those features I won't use.    

Yep!  We’ve only taken two cruises on the mega ships, and they were immediately after the Covid comeback, so much reduced capacity.  We enjoyed those two cruises, but won’t be booking again with regular crowds.  Just not for us.

If they do build the smaller “Project Discovery” ships in the future, I’m sure they will follow the new norm and debut with ridiculous prices.

25 minutes ago, island lady said:

The one thing I disagree with is those mega ships have more dining options. I have enjoyed some of them. Wonderland on harmony was fun. I'm looking forward to play makers on mariner. I do have some extra obc that I will use up on mariner. It's not just the rock climbing it's also food choices and mega ships have more choices. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

The one thing I disagree with is those mega ships have more dining options. I have enjoyed some of them. Wonderland on harmony was fun. I'm looking forward to play makers on mariner. I do have some extra obc that I will use up on mariner. It's not just the rock climbing it's also food choices and mega ships have more choices. 

I like the Solarium Bistro on Q and O class ships. It is a nice alternative to the WJ for breakfast and lunch. It is especially convenient since I tend to hang out in the solarium. I miss it on the V/F class ships.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I like the Solarium Bistro on Q and O class ships. It is a nice alternative to the WJ for breakfast and lunch. It is especially convenient since I tend to hang out in the solarium. I miss it on the V/F class ships.

That was the same for us... Once we discovered SB I don't think I've been back to WJ for breakfast since.

My last cruise on Adventure, which we really enjoyed, my wife commented she really missed SB.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pstone1 said:

Yep!  We’ve only taken two cruises on the mega ships, and they were immediately after the Covid comeback, so much reduced capacity.  We enjoyed those two cruises, but won’t be booking again with regular crowds.  Just not for us.

If they do build the smaller “Project Discovery” ships in the future, I’m sure they will follow the new norm and debut with ridiculous prices.

I am not holding my breath that RCI will go ahead with "Project Discovery"....but if they did, I would love to check it out.  

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

After spending the 63 nights just recently on Serenade....we actually enjoyed the first traditional dining each night with the same table and favorite wait team (though we had to follow them around during change at each mini segment).   They were like family and would see us coming as they followed us to our table with our favorite glasses of wine.  They knew our tastes and catered to us with love.  And of course I tipped them in cash each night.  😉 

• Like 2

But Jubilee has all the toots and whistles AND ports in Galveston so we can drive.  11 hrs but who's counting.  I just love the balcony with the glass panel and the Opening door rather than sliding door and the long huge balcony looking out.

1 minute ago, BecciBoo said:

But Jubilee has all the toots and whistles AND ports in Galveston so we can drive.  11 hrs but who's counting.  I just love the balcony with the glass panel and the Opening door rather than sliding door and the long huge balcony looking out.

Well dream and another that class have some longer cruises out of Galveston. I did 14 days on dream and it had some 8 days. Unless you dont use the T pool only on dream class.

But jubilee is nice too. Lots of good feedback. And jubilee has some better restaurants. 

Once I get moved I'm going to try to find a last minute mardi gras. I admit to wanting the new ships too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

That was the same for us... Once we discovered SB I don't think I've been back to WJ for breakfast since.

My last cruise on Adventure, which we really enjoyed, my wife commented she really missed SB.

Yep! We don't cruise often on Oasis Class ships. But we do enjoy Samba Grill on the  Allure OTS! 🙂

• Like 1

Fed up with RCCL prices, Pin here, just defected first time to 24 days on TUI Mein Schiff3 all inclusive (drinks, specialty restaurants, some internet, gratuities. What a pity RCCL does not have competitive prices anymore

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Kbonner said:

Fed up with RCCL prices, Pin here, just defected first time to 24 days on TUI Mein Schiff3 all inclusive (drinks, specialty restaurants, some internet, gratuities. What a pity RCCL does not have competitive prices anymore

You got that right!  After enjoying 3 weeks on Viking last year...we are sold.  Have five more longer cruises booked with them coming up next couple of years.  🙂  If I am going to pay that kind of price, I want the perks, service, and food as I used to enjoy on RCI...but don't get much of that any longer.  

• Like 1