Quick (silly) question about docking at St. Thomas ?

I was thinking that the ship would usually pull in forward.  But I am now seeing where two ships are backed in at port.

Then the Starboard side would be overlooking the Harbor.

Can any of you frequent cruisers tell if they usually back in or if they usually pull in forward.

35 minutes ago, kitty2264 said:

We have been there three times this year on Enchanted and the bow was facing out with port side at dock each time.

Not trying to "one up" you, but we were there 4 times on the Enchanted....3 times bow facing out and once facing in.

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

My observation has been that the large PCL ships do head in bow forward, but I wouldn't take that to the bank as my data set is not large enough to make it a SOP.

See above posts and I proved the point that things can change over time.

BTW, I always back my car into parking spots as it is much easier getting out.  IDK why the ships don't do the same all the time.  LOL.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

Also, in St. Thomas aren’t there two docks that Princess uses? I seem to remember being at both of them over the years and yes, I’m sure bow in or out is very subjective and changeable.

Princess normally uses Havensight. You can check port schedules here

https://www.viport.com/schedule-cruise-ports

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

Also, in St. Thomas aren’t there two docks that Princess uses? I seem to remember being at both of them over the years and yes, I’m sure bow in or out is very subjective and changeable.

I have read they got away from using Crown Bay docks and perhaps X is using them sometimes?  PCL used to park the "jewel" ships there at times.  It seemed to depend on number of ships in port on a particular day.  I recall where Wednesdays in STT were crazy with the number of ships.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Torfamm said:

Princess normally uses Havensight. You can check port schedules here

https://www.viport.com/schedule-cruise-ports

Yep, I definitely can check the port schedule, but I have no cruises scheduled to St. Thomas at the moment.. I was just trying to decipher and give a little bit of information  to the author/ op that it’s very subjective ,so who knows which way the ships dock. 
definitely great information for those that want to check the port schedule.

Edited by arizonaperson
Oops as always

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

PCL used to park the "jewel" ships there at times. 

"jewel Ships"

I never heard of those. Ate you sure they were Princess?

Thanks everyone...  The cabin we want is only available on the Port side..

We would be the only large ship there that day...  And will be there until later at night.

But, looks like there will be no way to tell if we will be on the right side for that harbor view!

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

See above posts and I proved the point that things can change over time.

BTW, I always back my car into parking spots as it is much easier getting out.  IDK why the ships don't do the same all the time.  LOL.

The reasons include any maintenance needed on one side of the ship, weather that could be different when departing vs docking, time schedule and lots of others.

I park away from stores so that I can simply pull through.  Lots easier and I get a tiny bit more walking.

18 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The reasons include any maintenance needed on one side of the ship, weather that could be different when departing vs docking, time schedule and lots of others.

I park away from stores so that I can simply pull through.  Lots easier and I get a tiny bit more walking.

I know (for the ships).

But don't you find someone comes and parks in the way?  Of course, the best is a drive thru spot with no curb and you drive in and thru to other side so heading front out!