Sun Princess - Spellbound question

Suit and tie will be a hard pass from me.  Formal night requirements (Business casual) would be fine for most.  Also the menu does not seem all that exciting, add on a few more choices, would be better.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, macusr said:

Yep that may make it a hard pass for us.

All in how you look at it. The other way to see it is that Magic Castle maintained that much control over their product, demanding the same standards for using their name.

We have been invitied to the Hollywood location twice. The dress code is unwavering.

But it's the professional member magicians, like @Wonders By Wallis, you come for and Princess contract workers who've learned a few simple beginner effects would not astound.

A dress code gives me hope standards are high across the board and more than just another Princess money grab. I can't prove it, but that is my hope. 

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

All in how you look at it. The other way to see it is that Magic Castle maintained that much control over their product, demanding the same standards for using their name.

We have been invitied to the Hollywood location twice. The dress code is unwavering.

But it's the professional member magicians, like @Wonders By Wallis, you come for and Princess contract workers who've learned a few simple beginner effects would not astound.

A dress code gives me hope standards are high across the board and more than just another Princess money grab. I can't prove it, but that is my hope. 

And another way to look at it is not to recognize there’s a big difference in requiring formal attire for a land based attraction likely to be frequented by locals vs a ship based attraction likely to be filled with people who have to fly and therefore deal with luggage requirements. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

I think that @mtnesterz has a pretty good grasp of the goals that Princess and Magic Castle have for this venue.

Regarding the men's dress code. if you go back and look at Post #69, the picture that @azbirdmom posted indicates that a blazer. dress slacks, collared shirt and tie are acceptable dress.  I do not own a blazer, but a year and a half ago, I enjoyed a terrific evening at the Magic Castle in Hollywood wearing a sport coat.  Yes, I wore slacks with a collared shirt and tie.  I would be quite surprised if somebody wearing slacks, collared shirt and tie and a sport jacket would be denied entrance to Spellbound.

When we start packing for a cruise, I always ask Mrs.  XBGuy if she wants to go formal this time, or not.  If she opts for formal, I wear slacks and a sport coat on embarkation day.  At least two collared shirs will be packed in our luggage and, maybe, a second pair of slacks.  It is pretty easy to find space in our luggage for one or two ties.

I think the Spellbound menu is good.  Nothing adventurous, at all,  That is right in the wheelhouse of the Princess passenger demographic.  I'm pretty sure the menu is brief because the goal is to have the guests finish their meal somewhat quickly so that they can get to the show.  It is not clear to me if the dining and the show are in the same or different rooms.  I eagerly await reports from people who actually get in and report on how it works.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I'm pretty sure the menu is brief because the goal is to have the guests finish their meal somewhat quickly so that they can get to the show.  It is not clear to me if the dining and the show are in the same or different rooms.

The article I shared in post #58 has info from a travel writer who went to Spellbound. Although the dinner was not included in his experience he did describe more about it including writing:

“Guests will start the evening with dinner in the Horizons Dining Room, choosing from a menu not found elsewhere on board”.

Also in the screenshot posted by ‘azbirdmom’ dress pants and blazer with a collared shirt & tie are allowed in addition to a suit & tie.

image.png.15463b376c3e85f8df5952180e7660ca.png

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Salmon?  Prime rib? Um, no.  Not anything special.  Another Princess fail. If you are going to make dinner part of the “special experience” make it special. 

I did not care at all about the price and was willing to pay any amount. Dinner not special. Have to wear a tie. I’m not THAT into magic. Would rather sit on my balcony and watch the sea. Again, that’s what makes cruising great, so many different things for different people.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Again, that’s what makes cruising great, so many different things for different people.

I agree!

I’m still very excited about Spellbound as I don’t really care about the dinner. I’d be fine with a burger and fries. For me this experience is about the drinks, the Magic Castle inspired rooms and the close up magic. I’m hoping between our party of 4 we will try all 12 drinks (sharing of course, no judgement please). I think they look amazing! I will most likely never be invited to the Magic Castle and as someone who has been fascinated by it since childhood I can’t wait to have a similar experience!!!

• Like 4

On 3/24/2024 at 4:28 PM, KLM3164 said:

@dides If you happen to see the dinner menu please post it. TIA

That is my biggest question as well.  Is this a set menu or are there choices like eating in the main dining room?  Do we show up in the diner, deck 8, first for dinner at the designated time or do we go to Spellbound for cocktails first?  Thanks for any info you find.

8 minutes ago, Jemnibabe02 said:

That is my biggest question as well.  Is this a set menu or are there choices like eating in the main dining room?  Do we show up in the diner, deck 8, first for dinner at the designated time or do we go to Spellbound for cocktails first?  Thanks for any info you find.

If you scroll back to post 59, you will see the menu. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

I will most likely never be invited to the Magic Castle and as someone who has been fascinated by it since childhood I can’t wait to have a similar experience!!!

My wish for you is that someday, you receive an offer to go, because you are discerning in your appreciation of the art form.

They will try to recreate the ambiance, but that Victorian mansion overlooking LA is spooky and that adds in a way you'll never find on the ship.

And my guess is you won't mind dressing for admission. There are those here that would rather stuff their suitcase with rubber ducks, door decorations, smuggled booze, travelling wine kit, water picks, blow dryers, snack foods, 3 or 4 electronic devices and a power strip to charge them. Anyone who travels often has learned to travel light. Wear a sportcoat on the plane and roll up a tie in the pocket. 

"I must have the S3 suite, but $35 for a checked bag? I'm not packing a tie for dinner then." For magic, go to the Magic Castle. For comedy, sometimes you can just read Cruise Critic.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

My wish for you is that someday, you receive an offer to go, because you are discerning in your appreciation of the art form.

They will try to recreate the ambiance, but that Victorian mansion overlooking LA is spooky and that adds in a way you'll never find on the ship.

And my guess is you won't mind dressing for admission. There are those here that would rather stuff their suitcase with rubber ducks, door decorations, smuggled booze, travelling wine kit, water picks, blow dryers, snack foods, 3 or 4 electronic devices and a power strip to charge them. Anyone who travels often has learned to travel light. Wear a sportcoat on the plane and roll up a tie in the pocket. 

"I must have the S3 suite, but $35 for a checked bag? I'm not packing a tie for dinner then." For magic, go to the Magic Castle. For comedy, sometimes you can just read Cruise Critic.

At the end of the day, Spellbound sounds like a wonderful experience with caveats that do not appeal to some. That’s the way of the world. Nothing needs to change or to be done; attending or not will not make or break our sailing experience. 

One of the things we enjoy about cruising is that it is a Choose Your Own Adventure style of traveling. For example, wearing a sport coat on a plane is, indeed, a good way to transport the jacket (and keep it from getting crushed and wrinkled) but wearing a sport coat on a plane sounds like the seventh level of hell to my husband; ditto a necktie. For some people, Water Picks are a necessity. We live, for better or worse, in a world that increasingly calls for an abundance of electronic devices. Some people like to decorate their doors, some bring festive accessories for special holidays, some find a power strip useful. Some people can pack for a month long holiday that touches on all of the seven continents and stuff it into a carry on. More power to them. 

For magic, go to the Magic Castle. For a sad reminder of how we’ve drained empathy and kindness out of our interactions, just read Cruise Critic.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Hey, dont go after blow dryers...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

El Jefe, we need a face slap emoji.. . touché

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was really excited about Spellbound until I saw the dress code. So disappointing. I stopped bringing jackets and ties on cruises several years ago. I hate wearing them on land and even more so at sea. 

I get they are trying to stick close to the experience at the Magic Castle, but as was mentioned before it's one thing to throw on a coat and tie for an evening out, and another to have to pack it and drag it around with you. And I'm with @bnickle's husband when it comes to the idea of wearing a blazer/jacket/suit coat on a plane.

I'll be interested to see whether that dress code sticks or it gets relaxed at some point.

But since I'm never going to get an invitation to the Magic Castle, if this is the only way I can get a taste of the experience, I might do it. It'd be a one time only thing, but I might do it. 

• Like 2

I'd rather that the roster of potential attendees be winnowed down self-selectively through a dress code (and price) than by Princess based on the class of cabin that one books as is the case with 360. Everyone on the ship has the opportunity to enjoy Spellbound.  They just have to decide if it is something they want to do.  I'm not a fan of the growing number of places that are built with the intention of them being off limits to most passengers. Besides.  On a ship with 4,200 people on board, how many would try to book Spellbound if the cost was $29 with a "come as you are" dress code?  3,000?  3,500?  Everyone?  It can only accommodate 90 people per day.  Over 7 days, that is 630 people, or only 15% of all guests.  Without any self-selective filters in place, getting a reservation at Spellbound would become a frustrating game of chance, or worse, a perk for the privileged.  At least this way, even a Blue Medallion cruiser in an inside cabin can get in, if they really want to. All they need is $149 and a lack of distain for blazers, shirts and ties.          

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scottlad said:

But since I'm never going to get an invitation to the Magic Castle, if this is the only way I can get a taste of the experience, I might do it. It'd be a one time only thing, but I might do it. 

I'm certain they would be very happy if every cruiser only went only one time but something tells me that between the $149 price tag and mandatory formal dress, it might not be a popular as they expect.

Posted (edited)

The money didn't bother me and I was even willing to put on a tie (the horror!!) but the meal was the deal breaker for me.  I'm not paying $150 for salmon!!  And that picture of the shrimp dish looked absolutely awful!!

I'll give up my seat so someone else can enjoy this experience.

Edited by Sox Fan Cruiser
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

And that picture of the shrimp dish looked absolutely awful!!

I've yet to see a single shrimp cocktail photo, (or in person) served on a Princess ship that didn't look awful.  Soggy, overcooked, wilted, waterlogged messes.  

On 3/26/2024 at 10:09 AM, azbirdmom said:

It kind of reminds me of Warren and Annabelle's with upgraded food and attire.

On 3/26/2024 at 12:08 PM, Astro Flyer said:

Yes…sadly it was destroyed in the fire like so many other memorable places in Lahaina. 😢

When I saw this…I thought the same thing…Warren and Annanelle’s! Sad that they said they won’t be back.  

We loved that show and feel fortunate to have been to it. When we went, we had front row seats in front of the musician.  There is one joke’s punchline that my husband and I still laugh about to this day…the punchline was “Papaya!”.  The whole crowd was in on the joke except the one guy who left the room to use the restroom.  He eventually realized he was an accessory to making the joke funny.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Thank you for your kind wish!

7 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

And my guess is you won't mind dressing for admission.

You are correct. We don’t mind dressing up. DH is happy to wear a Sports Jacket or Blazer on the plane as he’s always cold so it keeps him warm…win, win. He also doesn’t mind wearing a jacket on the ship as again it’s usually cold for him. Plus he has a great, tasteful, Beatles tie he loves to wear on the cruise and it always sparks conversations with people around us. We will be on the ship for 2 weeks so we will have other opportunities to wear our dress up clothes, and we enjoy it since we rarely do it at home anymore. While this experience won’t be for everyone it is perfect for us and our friends. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

I'd rather that the roster of potential attendees be winnowed down self-selectively through a dress code (and price) than by Princess based on the class of cabin that one books as is the case with 360. Everyone on the ship has the opportunity to enjoy Spellbound.

IMG_4469.gif.d3247d361d14590699e581323ba1381b.gif

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

The money didn't bother me and I was even willing to put on a tie (the horror!!) but the meal was the deal breaker for me.  I'm not paying $150 for salmon!!  And that picture of the shrimp dish looked absolutely awful!!

I'll give up my seat so someone else can enjoy this experience.

I don’t disagree with your assessment of the menu.  Pretty boring, although I will be perfectly happy with prime rib and banana cream pie.  Really, though, you aren’t paying $149 for the dinner.  You aren’t really paying for the drinks, either, although they look fun and sound very tasty.  You are paying for an experience.  Is the experience worth $149 per person?  Maybe, maybe not.  It depends on the person. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by CatMom72
  • Like 3

Is prime rib that special?  As someone who doesn’t eat dead cow, it looks disgusting.  Raw and just a big slab of meat. Living in Boston, the fact that people get all ramped up about the lobster they serve on a ship is ridiculous too. 

If you enjoy this, then enjoy. 

But for me, this whole “prime rib trolly cart” in the Signature restaurant is a complete joke.