Live from the Vista - March 27 (Miami) to May 1 (Trieste)

Hlitner

2 hours ago, redraider1966 said:

Having now sailed on all ships in Oceania's fleet in the course of our 18 voyages, I believe the slick flooring issue is confined to Vista, where regrettably form dominates over function in several areas as those who have cruised on her have reported on this forum and elsewhere.

All that noise that people are complaining about???

• Like 2

I have been sharing many of the comments about Vista with my DH.  He keeps saying “it’s the itinerary-specifically traveling by ship and not having to fly both ways that is important.”  I remember when Celebrity first introduced Edge, the first E-class ship. The comments were all over the place, but improvements were made with the following ships.  It will be interesting when he sees the gym, but at least he knows that it is quite small.  No cruises booked for this year, as those were canceled due to a ski accident, so both of us will be so ready in 2025 for more of Europe.  

Keep those Vista comments coming...Thanks! 

• Like 1

I don't travel to eat American Food. I want fresh, different and ideally a reflection of local. And this is from someone who lives in midtown Toronto and has 10 different ethnic (is that even a term in this day and age) restaurants within walking distance. Be adventurous and eat something different. (my Canadian opinion). I hate having to rely on burgers and fries when the other restaurants are closed. 

Looking forward to anything but American food. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

@Hlitner

I had learned from a different CC member about DCC, prior to a Spain cruise in 2022, so I used a Caixa Bank ATM to w/d €.  At that time, by declining the DCC, I received, a nearly official rate, however, they added on a flat €7 fee for the transaction.  I did this at their BCN location, so perhaps that's why an extra fee was charged.

Thanks for sharing this information.  I was also in Funchal Madeira just recently, and w/d € from a Santander Bank ATM, downtown, declining the DCC, and was pleasantly surprised to receive the nearly official rate of about USD $1.08 and no extra fee was charged.  Suspect that each bank sets its own ATM fee policy.

Thanks for taking your vacation time to share your cruise impressions with us.

Enjoy your cruise!

FetaCheese: did you email me this morning?

1 hour ago, h and j said:

I don't travel to eat American Food. I want fresh, different and ideally a reflection of local. And this is from someone who lives in midtown Toronto and has 10 different ethnic (is that even a term in this day and age) restaurants within walking distance. Be adventurous and eat something different. (my Canadian opinion). I hate having to rely on burgers and fries when the other restaurants are closed. 

Not all American food is burger and fries. Many places in America have local, fresh and different food. As a Toronto native living in California, I can appreciate your fondness for nearby international cuisine. I hope Oceania isn’t so limited to just burgers. 

1 hour ago, h and j said:

26 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Not all American food is burger and fries. Many places in America have local, fresh and different food. As a Toronto native living in California, I can appreciate your fondness for nearby international cuisine. I hope Oceania isn’t so limited to just burgers. 

I'd like to remind you that "fresh and local" generally isn't a possibility on a cruise ship. Public health laws require that almost all proteins must be stored frozen on ships. There's no herb and vegetable garden or farmer's market on board for the executive chef to select the finest and freshest produce from for the day's offerings.

The executive chef has some leeway and I've seen the executive chef buy freshly caught fish in some ports and serve it that night, but the overall menus are devised by the corporate office, not by the ship's culinary staff.

An Oceania ship will be serving 600 to 1200 dinners per night. A fine restaurant on land will be serving a tiny fraction of those numbers.

All that having been said I've never had to eat a hamburger on an Oceania ship for lack of anything else being available. In fact I've never had to eat a hamburger on any ship, including the most basic mass market line ships for lack of anything else being available.

Where you're getting the idea that you'll somehow be limited to hamburgers and fries is beyond me. One of you did use the qualifier "when the other restaurants are closed." Please tell me what would you expect to be available at a time when the restaurants are closed? Caviar? Foie Gras? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, h and j said:

ABSOLUTELY! But, remember, not everyone feels the way we do. And that's okay. More for us 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, redraider1966 said:

Having now sailed on all ships in Oceania's fleet in the course of our 18 voyages, I believe the slick flooring issue is confined to Vista, where regrettably form dominates over function in several areas as those who have cruised on her have reported on this forum and elsewhere.

I’m sure you’re right. We’ve sailed on all the other ships and never had an issue. Looks like I need to re-think!

Just wondering about “fresh and local” in the middle of the Atlantic, Pacific, etc.  ROFL

Speaking of burgers, the various one’s served at Waves are excellent.  I imagine the staff can rustle-up some “fresh international gruel” on demand

to satisfy the request of a certain poster 🥹

Hank

• Haha 4

I suppose it's each to his/her/their own.

We were on the Regent Explorer last November so had a Sunday at sea with the glorious Sunday brunch - a cornucopia of fresh, culinary delights was on offer and the gentleman 2 tables down asked for a burger and fries 😜😂

IMG_0504.jpeg

IMG_0503.jpeg

IMG_0502.jpeg

IMG_0499.jpeg

IMG_0500.jpeg

IMG_0501.jpeg

IMG_0497.jpeg

IMG_0506.jpeg

IMG_0507.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Techno123 said:

I suppose it's each to his/her/their own.

We were on the Regent Explorer last November so had a Sunday at sea with the glorious Sunday brunch - a cornucopia of fresh, culinary delights was on offer and the gentleman 2 tables down asked for a burger and fries 😜😂

IMG_0504.jpeg

IMG_0503.jpeg

IMG_0502.jpeg

IMG_0499.jpeg

IMG_0500.jpeg

IMG_0501.jpeg

IMG_0497.jpeg

IMG_0506.jpeg

IMG_0507.jpeg

A feast for our eyes.  such a beautiful presentation, and I'm sure everything was delicious.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

A feast for our eyes.  such a beautiful presentation, and I'm sure everything was delicious.

It absolutely was 😁 and for those who are 'buffet phobic' many of the dishes were served on small plates and much of the hot food was served by the staff so less chance of unwashed hands dropping the service utensils into the food 😜

Edited by Techno123
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Todo beay we cruise on a northeasterly heading on our way to Monte Carlo.  We are experiencing some 3-4 meter swells along with a strong 30+ knot wind.  This makes it likely we will dock a few minutes late tomorrow even though we are making a top speed of 20 knots.  This is our last sea day before we have 10 ports in 10 days!  ARGH.  The wind over the decks is so strong that the Captain ordered the closure of all the upper decks (above 12).

Dinner last evening, in the GDR, was a mixed bag.  We managed to get a 4-top with our favorite waiter and were soon joined by another American couple who were terrific dinner partners.  Dinner had a promising start as the escargot was perfect and my creole gumbo very tasty.  But the main (which all 4 of us had ordered) of scallops were disappointing as the dish lacked flavor.  The truth is that the scallops we buy at home (from Costco) are far superior to what was served on the Vista.  Bottom line continues to be that some dishes are excellent while others are just OK.  

I went up, early this morning, to Baristas (my normal morning hang-out) to enjoy some cappuccino and a fresh croissant.  While that venue is normally a self-service place, this morning the staff were very active in taking coffee orders at the tables.  By 9 there was not an empty table in Baristas and the queue at the coffee bar was quite long.  DW arrived and waited over 10 minutes to get her tea.  She suggested that it would help the queue situation if they put out a large urn of hot water and the box of tea bags.  There is no good reason for tea drinkers to stand in a queue of mostly coffee/espresso drinkers to simply get a cup of hot water.  Something for her to drop in the suggestion box.

Entertainment continues to be quite good.  Last evening we listened to a new guest entertainer, Becky Porter, who hails from Wales, and performed an Adele show.  At times she sounded as good or better than Adele (that is no easy feat) and the most of the audience seemed to enjoy the show.  That being said, we met some folks (at the bars) who did not even know anything about Adele or her music.  We are a pretty old group of cruisers (typical of long crossings) and some are completely out of touch with contemporary music.  

This afternoon there was a special 45-minute concert in the Vista Lounge which was presented by the string quartet.  I thought the ladies were brilliant, they performed a variety of music from Classical to some show tunes (i.e. Fiddler on the Roof, Phantom, etc).  The audience was small (about 50) and I think many folks missed a really good performance.  These young ladies are all very talented and the Vista Lounge was a place for them to truly shine.  I hope that O continues their support of classical performers.

Hank

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

That being said, we met some folks (at the bars) who did not even know anything about Adele or her music.  We are a pretty old group of cruisers (typical of long crossings) and some are completely out of touch with contemporary music.  

Oddly enough over the years I've found this to be something I've encountered again and again with Oceania cruisers. I'm not really sure it's age related, they simply are not interested in pop or rock music. Not everyone, but enough to make me ponder it over the years. I'm ok with it, when there are rock trivia questions it usually gives me an advantage. 

I've wondered why the string quartets are always female? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Todo beay we cruise on a northeasterly heading on our way to Monte Carlo.  We are experiencing some 3-4 meter swells along with a strong 30+ knot wind.  This makes it likely we will dock a few minutes late tomorrow even though we are making a top speed of 20 knots.  This is our last sea day before we have 10 ports in 10 days!  ARGH.  The wind over the decks is so strong that the Captain ordered the closure of all the upper decks (above 12).

Dinner last evening, in the GDR, was a mixed bag.  We managed to get a 4-top with our favorite waiter and were soon joined by another American couple who were terrific dinner partners.  Dinner had a promising start as the escargot was perfect and my creole gumbo very tasty.  But the main (which all 4 of us had ordered) of scallops were disappointing as the dish lacked flavor.  The truth is that the scallops we buy at home (from Costco) are far superior to what was served on the Vista.  Bottom line continues to be that some dishes are excellent while others are just OK.  

I went up, early this morning, to Baristas (my normal morning hang-out) to enjoy some cappuccino and a fresh croissant.  While that venue is normally a self-service place, this morning the staff were very active in taking coffee orders at the tables.  By 9 there was not an empty table in Baristas and the queue at the coffee bar was quite long.  DW arrived and waited over 10 minutes to get her tea.  She suggested that it would help the queue situation if they put out a large urn of hot water and the box of tea bags.  There is no good reason for tea drinkers to stand in a queue of mostly coffee/espresso drinkers to simply get a cup of hot water.  Something for her to drop in the suggestion box.

Entertainment continues to be quite good.  Last evening we listened to a new guest entertainer, Becky Porter, who hails from Wales, and performed an Adele show.  At times she sounded as good or better than Adele (that is no easy feat) and the most of the audience seemed to enjoy the show.  That being said, we met some folks (at the bars) who did not even know anything about Adele or her music.  We are a pretty old group of cruisers (typical of long crossings) and some are completely out of touch with contemporary music.  

This afternoon there was a special 45-minute concert in the Vista Lounge which was presented by the string quartet.  I thought the ladies were brilliant, they performed a variety of music from Classical to some show tunes (i.e. Fiddler on the Roof, Phantom, etc).  The audience was small (about 50) and I think many folks missed a really good performance.  These young ladies are all very talented and the Vista Lounge was a place for them to truly shine.  I hope that O continues their support of classical performers.

Hank

Thanks Hank these women string players are extraordinarily lovely and talented 

ENJOY

7 minutes ago, ORV said:

Oddly enough over the years I've found this to be something I've encountered again and again with Oceania cruisers. I'm not really sure it's age related, they simply are not interested in pop or rock music. Not everyone, but enough to make me ponder it over the years. I'm ok with it, when there are rock trivia questions it usually gives me an advantage. 

I've wondered why the string quartets are always female? 

They were not all females on our Sirena cruise earlier this year.  

7 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

These are the same women who sailed with us on the Vista in February 

Yep and I suspect they are even better (as a quartet) now than in February.  With one exception, they had not worked together until they all were brought aboard the Vista.  It takes some time for musicians to gel as a group and they have now had 2 months to work together.  Many of us who have cruised, in the past, on HAL, looked forward to the fine classical groups found on that line.  HAL recently discontinued their classical music program (i.e. Lincoln Center Stage) and I would imagine that some HAL regulars will find their way to O because of the classical music offered by the line.

Hank

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Techno123 said:

It absolutely was 😁 and for those who are 'buffet phobic' many of the dishes were served on small plates and much of the hot food was served by the staff so less chance of unwashed hands dropping the service utensils into the food 😜

11 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Yep and I suspect they are even better (as a quartet) now than in February.  With one exception, they had not worked together until they all were brought aboard the Vista.  It takes some time for musicians to gel as a group and they have now had 2 months to work together.  Many of us who have cruised, in the past, on HAL, looked forward to the fine classical groups found on that line.  HAL recently discontinued their classical music program (i.e. Lincoln Center Stage) and I would imagine that some HAL regulars will find their way to O because of the classical music offered by the line.

Hank

AGREED on our January 31 sailing this string quartet had just boarded and we were their 1st cruise of their contract.  Many many years ago on HAL we would  sit after dinner eat chocolates and listen to the Rosario Strings. Still lovely memories. Enjoy

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I remember the Rosario Strings concerts. 😉

Hank, I understand from other postings that HAL is bringing back an offering of classical music.  I am not sure how often during a cruise, but the performances are set in the BB King venue/stage, a very large room with fairly good sites.  Yes, the room is partially open to the main floor public walkway, across from the shops, but better than nothing.  There is also a viewing balcony one deck up that shares some public space.

Will be interested to see for myself in May!

Edited by Iamthesea
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

I remember the Rosario Strings concerts. 😉

Hank, I understand from other postings that HAL is bringing back an offering of classical music.  I am not sure how often during a cruise, but the performances are set in the BB King venue/stage, a very large room with fairly good sites.  Yes, the room is partially open to the main floor public walkway, across from the shops, but better than nothing.  There is also a viewing balcony one deck up that shares some public space.

Will be interested to see for myself in May!

As you are probably aware, with HAL, much depends on which ship.  But we have always loved the BB King concept, and groups.  Whether the Rolling Stone change will maintain the quality is still a question.  

Hank

Well I really got things "stirred up" with my comment. I haven't had that much response to a CC post of mine ever ;)!

Yes I know that "fresh" is not going to happen on an ocean cruise ship (have experienced it on a river cruise) I have been on Oceania Marina twice and must say that the food was great. I for one like the served buffet at the Terrace grill as it is better for food safely and hopefully for less food wastage. Those photos of the brunch have created an appetite so now it's lunch. Only a week before we leave for Malta. Looking forward to boarding the Vista there. 

1 minute ago, h and j said:

Well I really got things "stirred up" with my comment. I haven't had that much response to a CC post of mine ever ;)!

Yes I know that "fresh" is not going to happen on an ocean cruise ship (have experienced it on a river cruise) I have been on Oceania Marina twice and must say that the food was great. I for one like the served buffet at the Terrace grill as it is better for food safely and hopefully for less food wastage. Those photos of the brunch have created an appetite so now it's lunch. Only a week before we leave for Malta. Looking forward to boarding the Vista there. 

We will still be aboard.  I would suggest the sandwiches in Waves over the lunch in the Terrace.  I think Terrace is too typical of cruise line Lidos

Hank