A cruise ship you can’t swim in.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

And yet, ships have them. And ice skating rinks. And bumper cars. And sports decks. And ropes courses. 

I really want to take a cruise on a ship with an ice skating rink! Especially if one of the skaters in the show is someone I know or was a fan of their skating when they were competing.

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

As for the OPs comment, have we forgotten what it was like when we first started cruising, how certain things weren't as we expected them to be onboard? Some may have been sailing since they were kids so cruising is all they've ever known but most of us came to it as adults. Even though I "grew up" on Navy ships I was still amazed by cruise ships when we started cruising.

When I was a kid, I remember going to hotels and the pools seemed fine but they seem so small now. Same with cruises. At least with cruises, they are open most of the time. You go to hotels and half the time the pool is closed for the season or just because at least since Covid hit.

Edited by MacMadame

40 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

I really want to take a cruise on a ship with an ice skating rink! Especially if one of the skaters in the show is someone I know or was a fan of their skating when they were competing.

When I was a kid, I remember going to hotels and the pools seemed fine but they seem so small now. Same with cruises. At least with cruises, they are open most of the time. You go to hotels and half the time the pool is closed for the season or just because at least since Covid hit.

You can also skate during open skate, if you want to (as I understand it). 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 6:27 AM, CDNPolar said:

Why would they be so deep that you cannot stand with a drink?  To prevent the below:

All inclusive resorts or hotels in a warm climate that has a swim up bar, you see people there for hours drinking and they never leave their spot for ANY REASON.  

This is part of the larger pool and in my opinion, you are just swimming in a toilet.

On 3/25/2024 at 6:59 AM, Essiesmom said:

It also keeps kids from taking over the pools.  EM

Some of the Excel ships on Carnival have a max depth of 5 foot.  Being 5 foot, 3 inches myself, I cannot stand and drink in those pools unless I like pool water.   

• Haha 2

On 3/28/2024 at 6:46 AM, ldubs said:

I suspect the primary reason is demand/usage would be pretty low making it hard to justify.  

Kinda like the current thread of someone who wants a real promenade walk.

On 3/28/2024 at 9:46 AM, ldubs said:

But there’s need for TWO boxing rings? Really? 

I suspect the primary reason is demand/usage would be pretty low making it hard to justify.  

On 3/28/2024 at 9:46 AM, ldubs said:

8 hours ago, Actuality251 said:

But there’s need for TWO boxing rings? Really?

I might have missed something here.  I've never seen boxing ring on a cruise ship.   

On 3/27/2024 at 12:41 AM, MacMadame said:

I am someone who swims as part of fitness and also training for races/events. Therefore, the lack of a lap pool bugs.

It's too bad that ships don't have an endless pool, maybe in the gym. If ships can have a FlowRider, I don't see why they couldn't have an endless pool. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to swim laps on vacation!

NCL used to have some ships with a swim against the current pool.  I've seen one, I think on the Jewel.  I have no idea if they still have these.  It would probably be on their older ships.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 6:27 AM, CDNPolar said:

Why would they be so deep that you cannot stand with a drink?  To prevent the below:

All inclusive resorts or hotels in a warm climate that has a swim up bar, you see people there for hours drinking and they never leave their spot for ANY REASON.  

This is part of the larger pool and in my opinion, you are just swimming in a toilet.

There are two types of people in this world.

Those who pee in pools, and those who are liars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/26/2024 at 10:41 PM, MacMadame said:

I am someone who swims as part of fitness and also training for races/events. Therefore, the lack of a lap pool bugs.

It's too bad that ships don't have an endless pool, maybe in the gym. If ships can have a FlowRider, I don't see why they couldn't have an endless pool. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to swim laps on vacation!

On 3/27/2024 at 2:24 AM, CDNPolar said:

I would suggest that this would be an insurance no-no for a ship.  Not that many people that would understand or have experience using an endless pool.

I've seen endless pools on a couple Princess ships.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I've seen endless pools on a couple Princess ships.  

Would I assume that they employ Life Guards?  Or, at the very least there is someone there overseeing the operation?

Edited by CDNPolar

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Would I assume that they employ Life Guards?  Or, at the very least there is someone there overseeing the operation?

I'd be very surprised if they had lifeguards given that most cruise lines don't have them for the regular pools which are a lot less safe. Also, they don't have them for the jacuzzis and a swim spa/endless pool is just a rectangular jacuzzi with a controllable current and a leash to hold you into position if you want to use one.