Ruby Princess Panama Canal

suekel

I don't do live from posts but usually do a review when I get home.  That being said,  I am currently on the Ruby and having a wonderful time.  We got the invite to the Chef's Table,  signed up for the Super Tuscan lunch and my husband won $25 in Princess prizes. If you have any questions about the ship,  I'm happy to answer.

• Like 5

Nice of you to do that.  We just did that one end of Feb.  Weather was pretty good.

A nice tour that we always enjoy is Aviary tour in Cartegena. 

And we booked Sanctuary for Transit day. 

Its a good day to Stay Onboard that day. IMO

As almost half the ship got off mid transit for tours off ship.

We totally enjoyed staying onboard with Not as many people!

Have a good time!

47 minutes ago, mamafun said:

What is the Super Tuscan lunch?

And thanks for doing this. We're will be on the Ruby in November!

It's an Italian lunch with wine pairings. I don't think I've ever seen it advertised...evidently you're just supposed to know. We asked the head waiter at the embarkation lunch. $60 per person, held in Sabatinis. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, suekel said:

I don't do live from posts but usually do a review when I get home.  That being said,  I am currently on the Ruby and having a wonderful time.  We got the invite to the Chef's Table,  signed up for the Super Tuscan lunch and my husband won $25 in Princess prizes. If you have any questions about the ship,  I'm happy to answer.

I am in a process to book dinning time for upcoming cruise on Ruby. By any chance do you know which MDR to consider? Our cabin is on deck 11. I try to figure out which one of the three of them to choose. Thanks and enjoy your trip

9 hours ago, suekel said:

Are you able to let me know what the casual dining options are on Ruby? I don't  think they have Alfredo's and we have two free meals with our plus package. 

Hope you are enjoying your cruise. 

8 hours ago, axd said:

I am in a process to book dinning time for upcoming cruise on Ruby. By any chance do you know which MDR to consider? Our cabin is on deck 11. I try to figure out which one of the three of them to choose. Thanks and enjoy your trip

They are really all the same,  just depends on location.  For dinner I think Botticelli is less crowded...DaVinci is more centrally located.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, johnkylie said:

Are you able to let me know what the casual dining options are on Ruby? I don't  think they have Alfredo's and we have two free meals with our plus package. 

Hope you are enjoying your cruise. 

Only Vines and Salty Dog Gastropub. To me Vines is more of a share an appetizer than an actual meal. They will on various sea days open up  Planks and Steamers. They get busy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, suekel said:

They will on various sea days open up  Planks and Steamers.

No planks and steamers pop ups on the Ruby.

Edited by t&atravel
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, suekel said:

Only Vines and Salty Dog Gastropub. To me Vines is more of a share an appetizer than an actual meal. They will on various sea days open up  Planks and Steamers. They get busy!

For us sharing one meal at Vines is a great option for dinner. It is a larger charcuterie plate than I get here Olympia Provisions and 6 truffles is really over the top. We have been known to give some away 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mamafun said:

What is the Super Tuscan lunch?

And thanks for doing this. We're will be on the Ruby in November!

14 hours ago, suekel said:

It's an Italian lunch with wine pairings. I don't think I've ever seen it advertised...evidently you're just supposed to know. We asked the head waiter at the embarkation lunch. $60 per person, held in Sabatinis. 

@mamafun, I hope I am not being supercilious by telling you something you already know, but "Super Tuscan" is an informal term describing wines from the Italian region of Tuscany that do not conform to the traditional winemaking regulations of that region.  Typically, grapes that are not included in the regional laws are used for these wines.  As often as not, these "extra" grapes are ones that are common in the French region of Bordeaux--e.g., Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot--and are blended with Tuscany's most famous red grape--Sangiovese.  The best Super Tuscans are world class wines.  Princess regularly offers Luce della Vite and Tignanello Super Tuscans on the Sabatini's wine list, and they are both excellent, albeit, not inexpensive.  I would hope that at least one, if not both, of these would be served at a Super Tuscan Lunch.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, XBGuy said:

I hope I am not being supercilious by telling you something you already know,

@XBGuy, not at all.  Today I learned something new ... Super Tuscan wines are a thing.  I appreciate the explanation, and giving me something new to explore in my spare time (i.e., when I am supposed to be working).

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

You look to be having great weather for transit day.  Are you above the bridge, or down around the bow?  

IMG_3272.jpeg

IMG_3273.jpeg

IMG_3275.jpeg

Nice shots of the ship in transit!  I did not know there was a cam available to watch.  Too bad it's not higher quality.

HI, we are on the Ruby in a couple of weeks, have done many cruises but never on the Ruby.  What is the 'Adagio'?  Deck plan shows it on the Sun deck next to Sabatini's.  Just wondering if you know if it is a restaurant or lounge?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Nice shots of the ship in transit!  I did not know there was a cam available to watch.  Too bad it's not higher quality.

Yes, wish they would replace this cam…but part of it is the angle of the sun in the mornings.  There will be two more cams, one overlooking the Pedro Miguel locks, and the cam at Cocoli Locks.  Ship can also be seen passing by the Miraflores Locks.  They can be found at multimedia.panama-canal.com.  EM

Pedro Miguel cam…sorry I missed her passing, you can barely see her approaching the Cocoli Locks in the upper left.  And entering and leaving the first Cocoli Lock.

IMG_3276.jpeg

IMG_3277.jpeg

IMG_3278.jpeg

IMG_3279.jpeg

IMG_3280.jpeg

9 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

You look to be having great weather for transit day.  Are you above the bridge, or down around the bow?  

IMG_3272.jpeg

IMG_3273.jpeg

IMG_3275.jpeg

We spent most of the day on our Aft balcony. Wandered a bit but mostly just used our loungers.

Chef's table last night was excellent.  Great food and company.  It's held in Sabatinis on this ship. I really like the location of Sabatinis on this ship... great for breakfast.  We'll eat dinner there next week.  Today we did the full transit mainly from our aft balcony.  We've done it before so wanted a different vantage point. We got up at 6:30 as we entered the canal so tonight we're just going to do the casual dining at Vines and drink some good wine. It's really hot here. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Piperpals said:

HI, we are on the Ruby in a couple of weeks, have done many cruises but never on the Ruby.  What is the 'Adagio'?  Deck plan shows it on the Sun deck next to Sabatini's.  Just wondering if you know if it is a restaurant or lounge?

Thanks

It's a lovely little bar.  Very quiet. They had the suite get together up there and then meeting for the Chef's table last night. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Do you have a medical emergency?  Otherwise, why are you heading back to Panama?  You are supposed to be halfway to Puntarenas…

IMG_3281.jpeg

IMG_3282.jpeg

No, we actually have a port day here before we head north. We went out to sea last night and then came back this morning