74 Latitudes Points - Will NCL bump status?

I'm at 74 latitudes points aka probably the most painful number of points. I've got a 14 day cruise coming up and have heard that some people have been lucky in having a higher status honored when they are super close. I'm curious if anyone here has experience with this and can provide a data point or best way to go about trying to get them to honor platinum this time...

• Like 1

No, you won’t get upgraded on 74 points.

When you refer to people getting the higher status early I assume you are referring to the grandfathering that happened when the tiers changed on 2017. Before that time you needed 76 points and it was increased to 80 points.

Some people who were between 76 and 80 points found that they had been made platinum. I don’t think we ever worked out the exact rules for this. At first we thought it was because people had cruises booked that would take them over 76 points but then more people had it happen without being in that position so we thought that maybe it was anyone who was already a member, or above a certain number of points before the change.

Anyway, 74 points wasn’t enough, and I’ve not heard of this happening lately so maybe they have stopped doing this anyway.

It all happened automatically. I’m not aware of anyone ever successfully making a request.

• Thanks 1

I have not heard anyone getting future latitude points based on an upcoming cruise. Points only get added post cruise.  My last NCL cruise I was only 2 points away from platinum.  I completed the cruise and the points were added.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Exuberant said:

and have heard that some people have been lucky in having a higher status honored when they are super close

FWIW, when you "have heard" something, it is expected that you provide a source/link OR that you direct your question to those you heard it from.

That said, why would NCL do this? The level begins at 75 points...you want special treatment because you are "super close", you know, "only one point away". If they gave it to you, then wouldn't the people with 73 points be able to point at you and say "well, you gave it to him and I'm only one point away from his level"? And the folks with 72 points would be in line next. Where would it stop?

That aside, with three levels below and three levels above, Platinum is just a mid-tier latitudes level. If NCL were to grant special favors, it likely wouldn't be for mid-level guests.

And this is the problem with trying to move the goal posts.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We technically "moved up" to platinum after night 5 of a 14 night cruise... new status recognized only upon completion of the current cruise after you've earned the points required.

Based on my experience, I would say that's a no... but just think, one more under your belt and you will enjoy the platinum perks on your next NCL cruise!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The short answer is "no". The long answer is points are not awarded until after a cruise is completed. Plain and simple. 

We were in the same boat until our Jade cruise last month. Two points short of Platinum before the cruise. After our 14 day cruise was completed...voila, Platinum.

The levels point levels are there to be attained...not to just get close. This isn't horseshoes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Exuberant said:

I'm at 74 latitudes points aka probably the most painful number of points. I've got a 14 day cruise coming up and have heard that some people have been lucky in having a higher status honored when they are super close. I'm curious if anyone here has experience with this and can provide a data point or best way to go about trying to get them to honor platinum this time...

Why is 74 the most painful number of points?  Many people would've loved to have cruised that many nights.

No NCL won't give you special treatment for being close.  But you'll get Plat after the next cruise.  Plat is a good status to be in, free laundry, free specialty dining, priority tendering, etc.

• Like 1

At best you can go to the Cruisenext desk and ask for your Platinum pin towards the end of the cruise. 

I'm in the same situation.  I'm 6 pts away from Sapphire for our next 9 day cruise.  My wife is 1 pt over, due to a girls cruise years ago.  We won't get the Sapphire status since the booking is in our my name.  She has gotten the extra discount on shore excursions, however. 

• Thanks 1

Our friends were in the same situation last week on Jade.  They spoke to the latitudes people onboard and they said no, they had to wait until after the cruise completes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Exuberant said:

No, it does not happen.  You will get your points post cruise.  That is when they are earned and added to your account.  They will NOT give you the points ahead of time.

Nope. We were two points away from Sapphire on our last cruise and didn't even consider asking/trying to get status. We completed the cruise and will enjoy any Sapphire benefits we want to use on our next one.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

At best you can go to the Cruisenext desk and ask for your Platinum pin towards the end of the cruise. 

I'm in the same situation.  I'm 6 pts away from Sapphire for our next 9 day cruise.  My wife is 1 pt over, due to a girls cruise years ago.  We won't get the Sapphire status since the booking is in our my name.  She has gotten the extra discount on shore excursions, however. 

Latitudes status is based on the individual, so who booked the cruise should be irrelevant.

What benefits do you think you will miss? I can’t think of any.

One can dream. We're on a 21-day and will hit Platinum on day 8. Oh well. Maybe I'll get my pin to throw in the drawer with the rest.

16 hours ago, Exuberant said:

I've got a 14 day cruise coming up and have heard that some people have been lucky in having a higher status honored when they are super close

Where did you hear this, exactly?

7 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

We won't get the Sapphire status since the booking is in our my name.

Status is status. I don't understand what you mean.

Posted (edited)

It seems I struck a nerve with quite a few people. When I was on my last cruise I mentioned that I would be at 74 points after the cruise when I would be asked about my status. One person said that when they had 74 points they were pleasantly surprised at check in that they had the platinum status card in their room and got honored the benefits for laundry and dining which would be nice. Another person told me they had it happen to a friend at 73. I posted to see if anyone else has experienced this situation lately to see if I could get some more data points. 

For what it's worth, I earned all 74 points since July. I won't get my hops up for getting lucky but will come back and report a data point. 

It seems like most people here haven't been in this situation, so I've got no idea why they are being so hostile when I just wanted more data points. 

Edited by Exuberant
  • Like 1

they're being  hostile for the same reason hostilities arise about trying to get a non-haven guest into the haven complex.

i guess they feel  you're trying to GAME the system. personally, i dont care.

that being said, ncl only awards the points after the cruise is over. your status prior sailing, remains your status until the end. sorry, you cant  get the extra brownie points

10 minutes ago, Exuberant said:

It seems I struck a nerve with quite a few people. When I was on my last cruise I mentioned that I would be at 74 points after the cruise when I would be asked about my status. One person said that when they had 74 points they were pleasantly surprised at check in that they had the platinum status card in their room and got honored the benefits for laundry and dining which would be nice. Another person told me they had it happen to a friend at 73. I posted to see if anyone else has experienced this situation lately to see if I could get some more data points. 

For what it's worth, I earned all 74 points since July. I won't get my hops up for getting lucky but will come back and report a data point. 

It seems like most people here haven't been in this situation, so I've got no idea why they are being so hostile when I just wanted more data points. 

Hostile? Is that the new term to use when someone has a different opinion than your own?

You've done all of your sailing since July, my sailing experience goes back way further than that. Funny that I have never been "asked about my status"...not once, yet it has happened to you multiple times? Seems hard to believe. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Exuberant said:

I've got no idea why they are being so hostile when I just wanted more data points. 

We're not being hostile; we just want more data points.

What it is lately with all the snowflakes? Why are you so rude? Why are you so combative? Why are you so hostile? Why don't you just accept what I say as truth?

Good grief, people. It's the Internet.

7 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Hostile? Is that the new term to use when someone has a different opinion than your own?

You've done all of your sailing since July, my sailing experience goes back way further than that. Funny that I have never been "asked about my status"...not once, yet it has happened to you multiple times? Seems hard to believe. 

I sail solo it's a very common question when you are with the solos as they frequently so certificate swaps so you get 4 speciality dining plus whatever free at sea you have. But feel free to have an opinion when I'm looking for data points which you could not contribute to. 

Just now, IAcruising said:

We're not being hostile; we just want more data points.

What it is lately with all the snowflakes? Why are you so rude? Why are you so combative? Why are you so hostile? Why don't you just accept what I say as truth?

Good grief, people. It's the Internet.

Eh call it what you want. I appreciate the data points from Keith, David, and Schmoopie.

If anyone else has data points I'd be more than happy to hear them. Saying "no" with no experience with the situation isn't exactly helpful. 

14 minutes ago, Exuberant said:

I sail solo it's a very common question when you are with the solos as they frequently so certificate swaps so you get 4 speciality dining plus whatever free at sea you have. But feel free to have an opinion when I'm looking for data points which you could not contribute to. 

Do you always assume. I certainly have sailed solo, so I know what conversations do, and do not, occur. And I've passed through more Latitude levels than you have, so I've got way more experience as to what happens when as you move up the chain.

Truth be told, you likely already know the answer, but you're just another person who really wants to find a work-around to the rules. All you really care about is finding the one person who can tell you how to game the system.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Do you always assume. I certainly have sailed solo, so I know what conversations do, and do not, occur. And I've passed through more Latitude levels than you have, so I've got way more experience as to what happens when as you move up the chain.

Truth be told, you likely already know the answer, but you're just another person who really wants to find a work-around to the rules. All you really care about is finding the one person who can tell you how to game the system.

I'm not sure what you manufactured me assuming in your mind. I shared my experience and that's it.

Talking about status levels has happened on all the cruises I've been on but if that's not your experience then that's not your experience. You are the one saying you find it hard to believe that the topic of status comes up. It comes up a lot for me, and when I've told them I'm not platinum yet I've been treated to several dinners as people genuinely want to have dinner with me.

11 minutes ago, Exuberant said:

Eh call it what you want. I appreciate the data points from Keith, David, and Schmoopie.

If anyone else has data points I'd be more than happy to hear them. Saying "no" with no experience with the situation isn't exactly helpful. 

The closest we have ever come to getting perks ahead of time happened years ago.  On our second-ever NCL cruise, every Latitudes member from Bronze on up received an invitation to the Latitudes party.  They used to give away door prizes.  They had free drinks at the party, in an era before beverage packages were common practice, so there was a real incentive to attend.  A couple of weeks later we were on our third NCL cruise, where the Latitudes party was open only to Silver and above.  We had earned enough points for Silver by the time of the party, but of course they wouldn't be credited to our account until the end of the cruise.  We spoke to the Cruise Next Director, told her our story, and asked to be invited to the party.  She took pity on us and let us in.  At least we got some free cocktails out of the deal.