Dawn passengers left “stranded” on African island

12 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Legal suits filed where?  São Tomé?  Suing whom?  The tour operator for promising to get the guests back on time, and failing?

NCL?  For what?  What contract did they breach?

I think if they sued NCL, it would probably have to be in the Bahamas.  You might be able to sue in the Federal District Court in Miami but they probably have a large backlog of cases, might take two or three years before you could get a court date.

18 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I agree with you, any lawsuit they file would have zero merit.  But trust me, with the amount of publicity this is getting, some lawyer is going to offer to file a lawsuit for them for free.  The lawyer will say he will do it on contingency and get a cut of any money obtained.  Then hope that NCL will settle the case.

Makes me wonder if anyone would really try to file suit against NCL (where it would be filed I think would be a big issue)!  

Would NCL be able to counter sue for expenses related to time and effort in dealing with the local port authority, filing, etc?

• Like 3

I've done NCL tours, independent tours and gone on my own. As much as I dislike NCL booked tours, depending on where I am, I will elect to use one for timing and safety   I've never had a close call for getting back in time.  I never want one.  And I especially don't want to be stranded somewhere where I cannot easily pick up the ship at the next port.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Makes me wonder if anyone would really try to file suit against NCL (where it would be filed I think would be a big issue)!  

The location for filing law suits against a cruise line is printed on the cruse ticket's terms and conditions. 

• Like 1

Interesting story - now, don't hate me - but, is a paraplegic allowed on a tender?  I've had to get realistic about my touring as time has gone by.   Just saying.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, hayesds said:

I've done NCL tours, independent tours and gone on my own. As much as I dislike NCL booked tours, depending on where I am, I will elect to use one for timing and safety   I've never had a close call for getting back in time.  I never want one.  And I especially don't want to be stranded somewhere where I cannot easily pick up the ship at the next port.  

I have the same attitude.  You have to use your judgement, understand how far away from the port you are going, how reliable the tour operator is and how easy or difficult it would be for you to get to the next port should you need to.  I'm not going 2 or 3 hours away from the ship with a newbie tour guide in a developing nation when the port stop is followed by several sea days. You just have to have some common sense.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, pghflyer said:

Not that it makes it OK to be late.....but I do think the whole departure time (advertised when you purchase) vs the be onboard time (told usually the night before arrival or day of) makes for confusing planning.  Especially for new cruisers who think they can just stroll up right at departure time (uh, no) but also that different lines have different "all aboard" lead times so you never really know until you are there and have booked an excursion.

The on-board time or last tender time is posted in the daily, and also on signs as you exit the ship by the security scanners.  For a tender, they will also announce the time for last tender before you exit on shore.   And then there is always the option to simply ASK anyone involved in the tender process or security officers.   

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

The location for filing law suits against a cruise line is printed on the cruse ticket's terms and conditions. 

The terms and conditions also say that if you're not back on the ship by the listed time you will be left behind. These people have no case. They signed the same contract as everyone else.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

The on-board time or last tender time is posted in the daily, and also on signs as you exit the ship by the security scanners.

I've read a good pro-tip is to take a photo of that sign as you exit.  One of these cruises, I will actually remember to do that.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, MizMoon said:

Interesting story - now, don't hate me - but, is a paraplegic allowed on a tender?  I've had to get realistic about my touring as time has gone by.   Just saying.  

We just did a cruise with a lot of tender ports and the center seats - the ones that are on the same level as the door - were filled with people who had limited mobility, and a stack of walkers and wheelchairs.  At some stops, it was quite interesting to see the crew help them on and off, but they are very good at it.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MizMoon said:

I actually had the same thought. There was a picture of a person with crutches but I don't know if it was the actual person or just a stock photo.  I believe that some paraplegics can maneuver with the help of braces and walkers. I think the limit is 100 pounds if they need assistance from the crew.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MizMoon said:

No hate.  It's a reasonable question, for many types of physical limitations.  Some of us are just old, out of shape, overweight and/or no longer have the level of stamina, coordination, agility we used to.  I've actually gone to only considering NCL level 1 excursions for DW and me.  Even some of those are more than I want to deal with, especially outside of the US and Canada where ADA is largely unknown.  Those open air "busses" used in the Carribean aren't much fun for us.  They are loud, cramped and hard to enter/exit.  And that was last in St. Thomas for us, which is first world.  I can't imagine signing up for such adventures in second or third world countries.

• Like 2

Just now, ChiefMateJRK said:

I've read a good pro-tip is to take a photo of that sign as you exit.  One of these cruises, I will actually remember to do that.

Exactly. A photo on your phone is also a necessity for those parking garage signs that say “you are on level B7” and such.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, MizMoon said:

I hope they are allowed on a tender, since that is also the lifeboat in case of emergency.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mike B Landlubber said:

Exactly. A photo on your phone is also a necessity for those parking garage signs that say “you are on level B7” and such.

Yup, my kids taught me that kind of thing.  I would be writing it down but they are so used to doing everything on their phones and say to just take a picture of it.  Very handy . . . now if I can just figure out where the phone stored that dang photo . . .

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Mike B Landlubber said:

Ironically, I never forget to do that.  Hmmm.... I have a Bloody Mary on the ship prior to disembarking and I drive to the Airport with only Caffeine and OJ.  Could there be some kind of connection here?

• Haha 3

Chief…like you, I’m past the zip lining, ski boats, scuba,  hang gliding, pyramid climbing, etc excursions.  Done all that and literally have the t-shirts.

Africa?  I’m sure it’s beautiful.  I would love to see the islands in question.

But, janky 3rd party tour operator?  Not affiliated with NCL?  Tender to get back to the ship?  Let alone being a bit “more mature” than I used to be? 

No thanks!

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Mike B Landlubber said:

Goofy 23!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, beastlet said:

I hope they are allowed on a tender, since that is also the lifeboat in case of emergency.

That is true - and amazing what I can do in case of emergency.  Appreciate everyone's responses - been a while since I tendered (now called water taxis...).  And I do remember all crew members helping the transfer.  I know my limitations, especially when I am traveling solo as an 80+ year old woman.  Cruise on!  

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 11:38 AM, beastlet said:

This is why we only take the more expensive Norwegian tours, instead of booking local tours. It clearly says if you are not back by a certain time, you can not get on the boat. If they had been on a tour booked by Norwegian the boat would have waited for them.

I don't know how I feel about this. The guidelines are pretty clear. Their tour guide should have been careful to have them back in time, and they should have been paying close attention to the the time. I don't know in reality how easy it would have been for NCL to send a boat back for them.

One of the news reports say the local coast guard was bringing them to shop and NCL said they had to get to Next port.....

On 3/31/2024 at 8:52 PM, luv2kroooz said:

A more skilled public relations response to the story might have read something like this. ..."regrettably, we acknowledge a group of 8 passengers chose to participate in an excursion operated by an independent third party and were delayed, and returned to the port after the ship had raised its anchors for departure.  It was always our intention to allow them to enjoy an uninterrupted vacation. However, we have a commitment to the 2,000 guests onboard to maintain a posted schedule. Furthermore, we have an unwavering commitment to the safety of our crew and our passengers. After consultations with senior officers and shoreside management, it was determined that the risk of injury to reboard the 8 passengers was simply too great, and accordingly, we stand ready to safely reboard them when the ship is docked in it's next port of call.

This is a well-crafted statement. I am guessing that the lawyers have taken over and have advised NCL not to comment until this crisis has reached a conclusion, whenever that might be...when the group is reunited with the Dawn, when the Dawn has reached her final destination for this itinerary, when every member of the group has disembarked from the Dawn, or when NCL has conducted it own full investigation. At this point, anything can still go wrong, like not being able to port in Gambia due to the low tides, further delaying the group's reunion with the ship. So, from NCL's view, it might be better to wait and report the full story, and hopefully with a happy ending spin,

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sacruiser62 said:

One of the news reports say the local coast guard was bringing them to shop and NCL said they had to get to Next port.....

Yes, and how were they going to get onto the ship? Someone earlier in the thread posted a video of how the harbor pilot has to jump to a rope ladder from the boat to the ship. People who according to these sob story news stories are all older and disabled? If one of them fell into the ocean, that would be a real lawsuit. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, beastlet said:

Yes, and how were they going to get onto the ship? Someone earlier in the thread posted a video of how the harbor pilot has to jump to a rope ladder from the boat to the ship. People who according to these sob story news stories are all older and disabled? If one of them fell into the ocean, that would be a real lawsuit. 

That is for harbor pilot and quick trip to bridge.  How high above water is door we use at ports?  Some ships a low as 10 feet.above water line.   Think how high the harbor pilot ship usually is snd then how high rope ladder is and realize how far above the door we come and go from at ports!

38 minutes ago, Sacruiser62 said:

ALL of the news reports are simply the internet echo chamber.

The local coast guard portion was CLAIMED during the couples original face time with a TV station.  There has been no second report of this being true.  In fact, one poster here who was on the ship watching the tenders saw nothing like a coast guard type boat approach the ship.

It's called embellishing the story. 

• Like 3