Bring pool noodles on board?

We used to take one from home, use it on Princees Cays, then give it to a local when we left.

Sea day today and the retreat pool is packed and their are several people with noodles and floats in the pool now.

On 4/3/2024 at 11:02 AM, JimmyVWine said:

Archery equipment and catapults are on the list (not making that up). 

Hmmmm...I'm wondering about my grenade launcher....?

Just a joke...don't panic!

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2024 at 11:57 AM, NRWPA said:

I've brought a pool noodle on multiple cruises and never had a problem. I never tried to use it in the pool, only in the ocean. I think it might be difficult to use it in the pool since they are usually so busy/full of people.

Did you pack them in your suitcase?  When it came to taking them on and off the ship for ocean use can I assume you carried them at that point?  Thank you.

On 4/3/2024 at 11:53 AM, azbirdmom said:

The Retreat pool on the Discovery is quite shallow and you would not need noodles to exercise.  The main pool on Lido deck is usually quite crowded and even if you were allowed to bring noodles onboard it would be difficult to avoid wacking others with them as you exercise.  As someone who does use noodles in my own pool I would have noticed if others were using them in our over 3 dozen Princess cruises.  I've never once seen anyone using them on the ships.

How shallow?  I'm only 5 feet tall so 4.5 feet doesn't work for me.  I have to hang on to the side of the pool.

Poor me!  LOL!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fishwife2016 said:

Did you pack them in your suitcase?  When it came to taking them on and off the ship for ocean use can I assume you carried them at that point?  Thank you.

Mine fits wrapped around the inside of my large, checked bag. When I get off, I can fit it into my beach bag but could be carried off and on also

• Like 1

There have been people using floats on my last 2 cruises.  It was ok when we were in port and very few people were in the pool.  On sea days, I think they should not be allowed.  JMHO.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NRWPA said:

Mine fits wrapped around the inside of my large, checked bag. When I get off, I can fit it into my beach bag but could be carried off and on also

Thank you, we shall do just that!

On 4/3/2024 at 7:33 AM, greenbeanie said:

Former swimmer, now avid shallow water exerciser.  Shallow, as opposed to deep, meaning about shoulder height water, so standing in about 4 to 4.5 feet of water.

Sailing on Discovery Princess - what I've learned from helpful posts here, is that there are no pools that contain that depth - not even if they're slope-bottomed.

But, in water over 4.5 feet, I can use a noodle threaded between my legs, and that way exercise in deep water.

Has anyone brought - or seen someone bring - a noodle to port and successfully get it on board?   I've done this on Oceania, but am not sure about Princess. 

Take a look at water saddles.  Would be less obtrusive in the pool and probably easier to pack too.  

17 hours ago, Fishwife2016 said:

Amazon would be happy to sell you some inflatable pool noodles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

Take a look at water saddles.  Would be less obtrusive in the pool and probably easier to pack too.  

I've never seen those!  Interesting.  Probably are very good for a more relaxing workout because the saddle/seat is a bit more restrictive than straddling a 3" noodle.

In the end I purchased an aqua belt and used it in the deck pools.  The cruise was very chilly and in the early morning I was the only person; well one morning there was another gal in the pool.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have brought pool noodles on the last 4 cruises.  I tie it up like a pretzel and put it in my checked luggage.  I use it exclusively for exercise.  Tied up I can slip my foot in the opening and it provides resistance in doing leg lifts etc. I can work one arm at a time as well by holding onto it.  I also sit on it and “pedal” around the pool.  I do a full hour pool workout.  

On ships with a shallow retreat pool I get up early and use the main pool when no one is in it yet.  I work out in the gym if the pool is crowded.

Edited by californiagirl

DH used a pool noodle on the Emerald for 30 days this winter. Packs easily around the perimeter of a suitcase.He puts it between his legs for stability since his stroke 6 years ago. No issues at all and he wasn’t alone in using one. 

11 hours ago, californiagirl said:

I have brought pool noodles on the last 4 cruises.  I tie it up like a pretzel and put it in my checked luggage.  I use it exclusively for exercise.  Tied up I can slip my foot in the opening and it provides resistance in doing leg lifts etc. I can work one arm at a time as well by holding onto it.  I also sit on it and “pedal” around the pool.  I do a full hour pool workout.  

On ships with a shallow retreat pool I get up early and use the main pool when no one is in it yet.  I work out in the gym if the pool is crowded.

We are on the exact same wavelength!  I'm an aqua fitness instructor, so a well rounded hour's workout while on vacation is essential!  Not only for my fitness but also to keep ideas and moves in my memory for my after-a-relaxing-cruise classes.  If you're ever in the area, stop by and take my aqua fitness class : )

I carry on my luggage, so a small suitcase gets too full with a noodle.  The aqua belt worked pretty well.  It didn't need packing -just buckled up and slid over the pull handles on my suitcase.

9 minutes ago, greenbeanie said:

We are on the exact same wavelength!  I'm an aqua fitness instructor, so a well rounded hour's workout while on vacation is essential!  Not only for my fitness but also to keep ideas and moves in my memory for my after-a-relaxing-cruise classes.  If you're ever in the area, stop by and take my aqua fitness class : )

I carry on my luggage, so a small suitcase gets too full with a noodle.  The aqua belt worked pretty well.  It didn't need packing -just buckled up and slid over the pull handles on my suitcase.

Did you ever teach at the LA Fitness in Irvine?  If so I may have taken your classes  I started water aerobics there in 2005 and have been hooked ever since!  I do my own workout now.  The first 40 minutes of my workout is suspended (without any floatation device.)  Part of my 40 minutes is to hold onto the side of the pool and kick for 3 minutes between other exercises doing 4 cycles for a total of 12 minutes kicking.  Really helps the core, legs and heart.  Then I do my strength training with water weights at home, pool noodle on vacation.  I finish up with yoga and breathing exercises, then relax in the hot tub.  I feel SO GOOD afterward.

2 hours ago, californiagirl said:

Did you ever teach at the LA Fitness in Irvine?  If so I may have taken your classes  I started water aerobics there in 2005 and have been hooked ever since!  I do my own workout now.  The first 40 minutes of my workout is suspended (without any floatation device.)  Part of my 40 minutes is to hold onto the side of the pool and kick for 3 minutes between other exercises doing 4 cycles for a total of 12 minutes kicking.  Really helps the core, legs and heart.  Then I do my strength training with water weights at home, pool noodle on vacation.  I finish up with yoga and breathing exercises, then relax in the hot tub.  I feel SO GOOD afterward.

I still teach at LA Fitness - Crossroads and Irvine East - small world!  I started teaching there in 2015.  Your workout is great, especially the suspension, and I love your yoga and breathing finish (which is how I finish my classes, too).  

• Like 1

On 5/14/2024 at 11:26 PM, suzyed said:

How shallow?  I'm only 5 feet tall so 4.5 feet doesn't work for me.  I have to hang on to the side of the pool.

Poor me!  LOL!

I think it’s around 3.5 feet. So you should be just fine. 

• Like 1