On Apex now

brovol

6 minutes ago, brovol said:

The buffet. Traditionally cruise ship buffets were on the lido deck.

Oh. I'd only heard "lido" in reference to the pool. Hence my confusion. Especially since Celebrity doesn't use the term for the pool deck. I've only seen it on Princess.

Overall, this was an excellent cruise. I would definitely book Apex again, and would not hesitate to do the infinite veranda either. Although it has some drawbacks, overall we were extremely pleased. And I was a very concerned with the infinite veranda before we got on the ship.  

Accommodations, food, service, entertainment, were all very good.  

Few negatives, including: Need more public restrooms. Depending on where you are in the public areas, frequently there are very long walks to the closest restroom. Restrooms also could have more frequent maintenance. I like the cloth hand towels, but too often they were all gone.  Definitely need more recliners in the main public pool. Particularly in the sun area. I think the pool bar should open prior to 10:00 a.m.   The exterior of the infinite veranda windows should be cleaned more frequently. I think ours was only cleaned once, and by that it was only hosed off.  

There are probably a few other things I'm not thinking of.  But basically, and outstanding ship.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Oh. I'd only heard "lido" in reference to the pool. Hence my confusion. Especially since Celebrity doesn't use the term for the pool deck. I've only seen it on Princess.

They used to call the pool area the Lido deck on the old Love Boat TV show 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Thanks. That's what I thought. That's why I was confused when the OP said they ate lunch mostly "in the lido". I was trying to figure out why (and how) they were eating in the pool.

The ships use the term “Lido deck”, meaning the deck area with the pool. Normally that is the same deck as the buffet on most/every ship I have been on.

4 minutes ago, tscoffey said:

The ships use the term “Lido deck”, meaning the deck area with the pool. Normally that is the same deck as the buffet on most/every ship I have been on.

I've never seen Celebrity use that term. (Or Disney, which is what I have most of my cruises on.)

I'd still just say the buffet rather than trying to be fancy.

When my wife and I started cruising, 30+ years ago, they referred to it as the "lido buffet" (sovereign of the seas), so we still do.  The buffet is always on the lido deck.  Not "fancy talk", just what we have always called it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2024 at 10:25 AM, brovol said:

The exterior of the infinite veranda windows should be cleaned more frequently. I think ours was only cleaned once, and by that it was only hosed off. 

Y'all are going to think I'm nuts but I think this distracts quite a bit from the view.  Based on how the windows slide, would it be at all possible to improve the window clarity if I brought a small squeegee?  Even if only able to clean one of the panels when its open?  Can you partially lower the top panel so you could clean some of the lower panel?

On 4/6/2024 at 10:12 AM, brovol said:

The buffet. Traditionally cruise ship buffets were on the lido deck.

Lido has traditionally been a term for the deck with the buffet and pool - Celebrity generally has moved away from naming decks and toward just using deck numbers.

6 minutes ago, FSUNole said:

Y'all are going to think I'm nuts but I think this distracts quite a bit from the view.  Based on how the windows slide, would it be at all possible to improve the window clarity if I brought a small squeegee?  Even if only able to clean one of the panels when its open?  Can you partially lower the top panel so you could clean some of the lower panel?

So you are going to lean out over the opened window to clean the outside of it? Yikes. 

On 4/6/2024 at 1:52 PM, brovol said:

When my wife and I started cruising, 30+ years ago, they referred to it as the "lido buffet" (sovereign of the seas), so we still do.  The buffet is always on the lido deck.  Not "fancy talk", just what we have always called it.

we cruised on Sovereign years ago and immediately switchrd to X after that (Mecury)....all ships have come a long way since Sovereign!

18 minutes ago, FSUNole said:

Take a cloth with a magnet attached.  Have a matching magnet.    Put the cloth on the outside of the window and mate the magnets.  Slide the magnet over the pane of glass. Helps to slide with a piece of cloth under both magnets.   I think many with aquariums clean the inner side of the  glass using this method. 

Try  it at home first 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Re the GoGreen programme, there is a link for it on the Celebrity app for our upcoming cruise, but the link doesn’t take me anywhere, just a blank screen. We only want our cabin serviced in the mornings, so presumably I’ll just arrange that with the room steward as usual?

On 4/5/2024 at 8:07 PM, brovol said:

They do have fixed early and late seating.  We were assigned fixed early, which was supposed to be 6pm, but when we boarded ship we had a card in our room which said we were fixed early, but at 5:30.  Worked out great for us.  If you get the fixed early you basically walk right in and go to your table at the assigned time.  The card also says what dining room you are assigned to.  Anytime dining has to wait and be assigned a table.  

Glad I read your post brovol. Other posts say there is no set dinner time & to just show up. Some say to make reservations when you board (Captains Club said that too). Others say to reserve in the app. I tried both the website and the app. App had nothing to allow a reservation. On the website it says "Dining time has been set". I tried it for all 4 restaurants.

14 hours ago, Ergates The Ant said:

Re the GoGreen programme, there is a link for it on the Celebrity app for our upcoming cruise, but the link doesn’t take me anywhere, just a blank screen. We only want our cabin serviced in the mornings, so presumably I’ll just arrange that with the room steward as usual?

Here’s a link to the form https://cloud.na.celebritycruises.com/GOGREEN_OPTIN

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, JOVERNITE said:

Glad I read your post brovol. Other posts say there is no set dinner time & to just show up. Some say to make reservations when you board (Captains Club said that too). Others say to reserve in the app. I tried both the website and the app. App had nothing to allow a reservation. On the website it says "Dining time has been set". I tried it for all 4 restaurants.

We did a B2B on Apex (Apr 6-20) and managed to turn up ad hoc and eat at all four during the fortnight.  I have to say that having been doubtful of the 4 restaurant setup, I was hugely impressed with the whole thing - it feels much less crowded and a bit more special than the one large single main dining.

Absolutely loved Apex.

Edited by Plissken

I would agree that the windows could be a bit cleaner, but I'd prefer it if Celebrity would remove the cat that is trapped in the mechanism whenever I opened or (especially) closed the window.

At the risk of starting another balcony vs infinite veranda holy war, I think I prefer the infinite veranda.  Makes the cabin feel more spacious.