The beds!

Deb922

I was watching a YouTube. The couple hated the beds on Viking! They said they were the only drawback to their cruise. They had the attendant put 3 feather toppers but still had trouble sleeping. 

What do you think of the beds? Are they similar to the beds on the river cruises? Our first cruise, I thought the bed was very comfortable, the second not so much. I had the attendant put a blanket underneath and that helped. 

I know on a river cruise, the mattress is pretty thin so to accommodate luggage underneath. 

thanks 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Deb922 said:

I was watching a YouTube. The couple hated the beds on Viking! They said they were the only drawback to their cruise. They had the attendant put 3 feather toppers but still had trouble sleeping. 

What do you think of the beds? Are they similar to the beds on the river cruises? Our first cruise, I thought the bed was very comfortable, the second not so much. I had the attendant put a blanket underneath and that helped. 

I know on a river cruise, the mattress is pretty thin so to accommodate luggage underneath. 

thanks 

We absolutely love the beds.  We think they are just the way we like them.

Like anything else, there are people who say they are too hard, and some that say they are too soft.  So it probably is totally a personal thing.

Sort of like asking people if the rooms are too hot or too cold.  Everyone has a different opinion.  My guess is that the majority of the people we've spoken with do like the beds.  Viking can't please everyone so they have IMHO tried to go the middle ground.

On ocean ships, there is space underneath as well like river, to accommodate luggage.

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 3

OMG,I hate the beds, so hard.  Give me a back ache.  My husband loves the beds.  He hates the pillow top at home. We travel a lot on Viking, so I guess it evens out, lol.  

• Like 3

I know search isn’t great here but there was a long thread about the beds because of that video last fall. You can request a mattress topper or a couple of extra duvets to help pad it.

• Like 2

We love the beds.  We sleep so well on Viking ships - River or Ocean.

Part of that could be the 20,000 steps we do on excursions and exploring each day, but we find the bed very comfortable.

• Like 6

I love the beds! I have found I don't get any of the hip pains that I do on softer beds. I want to get something similar for home!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, katlew said:

I love the beds! I have found I don't get any of the hip pains that I do on softer beds. I want to get something similar for home!

Funny you mention hips.  Love the beds ALSO because my hip pains go away on a Viking cruise amazingly enough.   And the hip pain comes back on soft beds.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Funny you mention hips.  Love the beds ALSO because my hip pains go away on a Viking cruise amazingly enough.   And the hip pain comes back on soft beds.

Well Kent - get shopping for that new bed

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Are you it’s not the nightcaps in the Explorer’s Lounge? 😉

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, wine-wine-wine said:

Love the beds. We use a topper at home.  I’m wondering if those that like temperpedic (spelling) have issues with the Viking beds?

I think you nailed the correct answer. We are long-time temperpedic sleepers and we found the beds on Viking Ocean to be horrid. Even with a mattress topper. Did 21 nights in the Med with only about four hours a night of sleep. That's all my back could stand and I have never had a bad back. Most miserable part of the cruise. I was kind of starting to get used to them towards the end...or maybe I was so tired I just had to sleep. 

We did our first Viking River cruise in December and had no problems with those beds. Very comfortable. 

• Like 2

Add us to the haters list, even with multiple mattress toppers.  Have occasionally been sleeping on top of a row of the memory foam pillows, which helps a lot as long as I don’t roll around too much.  Have a Casper at home.

29 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

Add us to the haters list, even with multiple mattress toppers.  Have occasionally been sleeping on top of a row of the memory foam pillows, which helps a lot as long as I don’t roll around too much.  Have a Casper at home.

Interesting - I also have a Casper at home and this has been the best mattress I have had in my life, but I love the Viking beds.  

I have a question... I come from the hotel industry originally - from way back.  Most often hotels claim that the mattress is part of their experience and they pride themselves on that mattress and use it chain wide.  Some hotels sell their mattresses.

Do Viking use the same mattress on all ships?  On River and Ocean?

I see some say that they dislike the Ocean mattress but like the River mattress?

Just curious.

If they potentially use the same mattress, then perhaps it is age of mattress that is causing some grief?

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Interesting - I also have a Casper at home and this has been the best mattress I have had in my life, but I love the Viking beds.  

Our Casper is the Wave Hybrid Snow, and I find the bed on Saturn to be as hard as a rock in comparison.  I don’t remember the bed on Mars back in September to be quite as bad.

6 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I have a question... I come from the hotel industry originally - from way back.  Most often hotels claim that the mattress is part of their experience and they pride themselves on that mattress and use it chain wide.  Some hotels sell their mattresses.

Do Viking use the same mattress on all ships?  On River and Ocean?

I see some say that they dislike the Ocean mattress but like the River mattress?

Just curious.

If they potentially use the same mattress, then perhaps it is age of mattress that is causing some grief?

In our experience (16 Viking cruises), the beds have been the same on every ship we've been on - which is great for us!   Never noticed a difference in Ocean versus River mattresses.  We look forward to the Viking beds and always sleep well!

• Like 2

On 4/12/2024 at 11:21 AM, CCWineLover said:

We have pretty firm beds at home & I still do better on the Viking ones!

Just spent 27 days on the Viking Star. We had read the same post about the beds that you referred to, and like you, we were concerned.  In fact, I asked about a mattress topper almost immediately.  We are side sleepers, and I was afraid that the bed would be too hard. Our cabin steward suggested that we give it a night and see how we got along. We did. The bed was absolutely fine for us; no problem at all.  Hope your experience is similar.

• Like 3