Joy 2024 Dry dock/refurbishment - What was done?

8 minutes ago, tedbearz said:

Thanks! Do you know which staterooms # are the new rooms? Were any of the other rooms refurbished?

The suites were refurbished.

10 minutes ago, tedbearz said:

Thanks! Do you know which staterooms # are the new rooms? Were any of the other rooms refurbished?

I read that all rooms got new mattresses but I don’t think they got any major refurbishment.

IMG_0594.png

7 hours ago, tedbearz said:

I just came off a cruise on the Joy and my balcony cabin on Deck 13 appeared nearly new. Almost no signs of wear.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

What cabin category were you in?  For our upcoming June cruise,  we originally had cabins on deck 15, but NCL moved us to deck 13.

10 minutes ago, bob.chan@sympatico.ca said:

Just got back yesterday Bermuda  R/T New York.  Ship was beautiful.  We (wife, myself and son) had an inside 2 bedroom, absolutely gorgeous, everything looks brand new 👍

Welcome  to  Cruisecritic!   

We love the Joy.  Glad you enjoyed your cruise 😎

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bob.chan@sympatico.ca said:

Just got back yesterday Bermuda  R/T New York.  Ship was beautiful.  We (wife, myself and son) had an inside 2 bedroom, absolutely gorgeous, everything looks brand new 👍

FYI you are using your email as your profile name. May want to change it for privacy concerns.

28 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Did I understand correctly that they reduced the size of the observation lounge to make room for some additional staterooms?  Also that they eliminated the Galaxy Pavilion in favor of an expanded spa?

You can see that when you look at the deck plans

5 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Unfortunately I do not have access to plans from a time prior to the renovation for comparison, so my question stands.

There re numerous threads discussing this, nothing new here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

Did I understand correctly that they reduced the size of the observation lounge to make room for some additional staterooms?  Also that they eliminated the Galaxy Pavilion in favor of an expanded spa?

Yes to all your "understand"s. Listen to the Cruise Tips TV podcast's recent review of sailing Joy after the dry dock. They go through many of the changes and are very positive about them. They are a positive vibe type of podcast, so our grumps here on Cruise Critic might not like it. I enjoy their personalities. I also believe they may have gone on the ship, in partnership with Norwegian (I forgot what they said in the pod), so it may be more glowing than if they had spent their money on the trip. 

https://cruisetipstv.com/how-was-our-spring-break-cruise-on-norwegian-joy/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Yup. Back in 2019, they removed a whole bunch of rooms to build the Observation Lounge. They put some back. And they used the Galaxy Pavilion space to build a Thermal Suite (the ship never had one because there is no interest for such things in Asia). 

On 4/15/2024 at 3:41 AM, vacation44 said:

What cabin category were you in?  For our upcoming June cruise,  we originally had cabins on deck 15, but NCL moved us to deck 13.

Did the tell you why they did this?

8 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

They are a positive vibe type of podcast, so our grumps here on Cruise Critic might not like it.

Speaking as a grump, I hate anything that diminishes an observation lounge.  YMMV.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/14/2024 at 10:32 PM, stinkyharriet said:

I read that all rooms got new mattresses but I don’t think they got any major refurbishment.

IMG_0594.png

Apparently they used  one side of the Observation lounge to add cabins.

10 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Speaking as a grump, I hate anything that diminishes an observation lounge.  YMMV.

I'm not sure if I'm a grump or pollyanna about Joy's "enhanced" Observation Lounge. I'm thinking it's going to take personal experience for me to know. I definitely know there are fewer seating options and the lounge always seemed fairly full to me, though not as full as Pr1ma's! Different cruises though: Western Caribbean vs. Transatlantic. 

I get why you've taken Joy out of your rotation!