Alaska cruise on Edge with Granddaughter who will want to be in the water…

pja&raa

…pool water! We will be on the May 31st Alaska cruise out of Seattle with my 12 year old granddaughter who has cruised several times but always in warm climate so she spends the majority of her sea days in the ship’s pools. With it being an Alaskan cruise and the only climate controlled pool area is in the adult solarium might they open that pool to the general population?

In addition, I have been checking the celebrity app to try and get information on what entertainment/shows will be available on our sailing but I don’t see anything listed. Is there somewhere else I should be looking or do I need to wait until it is a little closer to our actual departure date

Finally (and a little off topic), can we bring sodas back to the ship when we return from ports ( if so do they have to be cans)?

There is family time on cold weather cruises from 4 or 5 until 6 or 7.  Check the exact hours onboard.  It’s always nice if the kids are considerate of others because some adults do use it during that time.  

Do not be like the family I met on the Eclipse that would try to keep you out of the hot tub when there wa space available.

12 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Wow.  I would NOT like that at all.  So much for an adults only area.  Can I go to the kids club and play video games?

Yes, but only between Noon and 2 PM 

• Haha 1

Perhaps you should let her know that she wont be spending a lot of time in a pool as weather definitely not the Caribbean.   We did Alaska during May and although it was warmer than normal, people wore spring jackets and hoodies and no one was in the pool.   This is a different cruise for her.  Prepare her

The Solarium, adults only pool area, may have a family time 4 - 7 pm. Depends on ship. We ve never seen a time longer. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

Perhaps you should let her know that she wont be spending a lot of time in a pool as weather definitely not the Caribbean.   We did Alaska during May and although it was warmer than normal, people wore spring jackets and hoodies and no one was in the pool.   This is a different cruise for her.  Prepare her

The Solarium, adults only pool area, may have a family time 4 - 7 pm. Depends on ship. We ve never seen a time longer. 

On our Patagonia cruise, as it got colder you would see kids and adults in the hot tubs at the main pool or on the solarium pool and hot tub.  We had family time for 2-3 hours daily.

We are also on the May 31st sailing to Alaska. Not really sure what to expect with regard to weather temps as it will be our first visit. But I recommend you do as others have suggested and prepare your granddaughter for a different type of cruise. She is old enough to understand. 

The app may never show the correct info 😳  bc it’s wonky. But definitely has a better chance of being more accurate the closer you get to embarkation. 

Regarding soda, I read in Celebrity’s FAQs that you can bring on as much as you can carry on embarkation day. 

see you on board!

• Like 1

My only cruise to Alaska was with Disney (with my kids who went in the water in the outdoor pool.) I don’t know if Celebrity will have them open, but I wouldn’t discount outdoor swimming if she’s really into it.  Temps could also be warmer than expected (or colder) hard to predict this far out.  Our plan if the weather is nice in Seattle is to have embarkation day be a pool day for sure. 

16 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

My only cruise to Alaska was with Disney (with my kids who went in the water in the outdoor pool.) I don’t know if Celebrity will have them open, but I wouldn’t discount outdoor swimming if she’s really into it.  Temps could also be warmer than expected (or colder) hard to predict this far out.  Our plan if the weather is nice in Seattle is to have embarkation day be a pool day for sure. 

The only problems I saw are 1) a family that didn't want to share their hot tub (it's a public, adult area!) and 2) so many kids in the pool that adults could not use it.  I wouldn't mind having family time if the kids would just stop calling me that old fat guy.

• Haha 1

First, an Alaskan cruise is not suited for outdoor swimming.  There were very few in the outdoor pools as it was very cool and windy.  Also, family hours ran for a couple of hours per day in the late afternoon.  

As for soda, bring it on the ship in Seattle.  You could bring back a bottle or two from one  of the ports.   But don't be surprised if you are asked to dispose of it before re-entering the ship.

On 4/15/2024 at 8:48 AM, zitsky said:

I wouldn't mind having family time if the kids would just stop calling me that old fat guy.

YOU got a complex !!
What makes you think it’s you?

Holy S—, 99.5% of the men in the Solarium are old and fat !

Are you that “old crab “ that you didn’t like when you were a kid?

Let the kids have some fun— let them splash water on you—let them yell at each other—watch them running around the Solarium pool screaming———so what, if their towel hits ya in the “chops “ while you were dozing—

Guess what time WE get the hell out of the Solarium??

To be honest, the kids that we have seen in the Solarium were very well behaved—— Much better than some of the adults—— that’s no joke.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Pinboy said:

YOU got a complex !!

Let the kids have some fun— let them splash water on you—let them yell at each other—watch them running around the Solarium pool screaming———so what, if their towel hits ya in the “chops “ while you were dozing—

To be honest, the kids that we have seen in the Solarium were very well behaved—— Much better than some of the adults—— that’s no joke.

I totally agree!!!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Pinboy said:

YOU got a complex !!

At least they don't snore or drool on the lounge chairs!

Well we took two grandchildren (8&9)on an Alaska Cruise in June and they spent a lot of time in the outdoor pool even on some rainy days!  That certainly did not stop them. The  water was not as cold as we had imagined it to be.  We did come back to the ship early on a sunny day and they had the pool to themselves for awhile.  Our grandson was in the pool nearly every day.   We did not visit the solarium even once.