muster drill

lauren0309

4 minutes ago, lauren0309 said:

where is the option on the new Princess App to watch the muster video?

You can't watch it until you board and you either watch it on the TV or on your device once you connect. There is a Safety Essentials tab under "Profile" on the App with details but you can't watch it from there.

• Like 1

Follow up question as it have been 30 years since my first and only cruise.....

If one is on the Aft Lido deck and one's cabin is forward on Desk 5, does one really have to go all the way back to the cabin to get one's floatation device if the "Man your Life Boat" was given?  Or does one just get to the assigned spot ASAP?

You should go to your cabin unless you feel like the ship is actively sinking. You need warm clothes, any essential meds, and your lifejacket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, KillerSnake said:

If one is on the Aft Lido deck and one's cabin is forward on Desk 5, does one really have to go all the way back to the cabin to get one's floatation device if the "Man your Life Boat" was given?  Or does one just get to the assigned spot ASAP?

Not sure. I would have thought that you get to the muster point as soon as possible - the life boats are equipped with life jackets. In the past we all had to attend our muster stations at the same time and you could have asked your question but now we just watch the safety video on the cabin tv and just attend the muster station so you know where it is if needed.

I'm hoping that you will not need to have this experience on your cruise. 

1 hour ago, KillerSnake said:

Are you speaking about the drill or a possible actual emergency?

The drill works this way. When you board while you are waiting to go to your cabin you visit your muster station. If your cabin is forward on deck 5 then you muster station will be somewhere in the forward area on deck 6 or 7. You go there and scan your medallion Then you either watch the video on your cabin TV once you get to your cabin or on your smart device. There is no muster drill gathering and no going to your cabin to get your life jacket.

If an actual emergency, 7 short blasts and 1 long blast, you listen to the announcements. They will probably mention to return to your cabin, retrieve your life vests as well as personal belongings such as meds and report to your muster station. I have never heard a "man your life boat" instruction in a drill or for a real emergency. If life boats are required then you will be led there from your muster station by trained staff.   

2 hours ago, leck57 said:

You can't watch it until you board and you either watch it on the TV or on your device once you connect. There is a Safety Essentials tab under "Profile" on the App with details but you can't watch it from there.

Agree. I was surprised when watching the presentation on the cabin TV (Enchanted), each of us got a green check marks next to our names at the conclusion of the muster video. We were busy unpacking. Nothing like that with Celebrity and RC. 

2 hours ago, lauren0309 said:

When we first boarded the ship we went directly to our muster station to get accounted for. Then when the cabins opened we turned on the TV to complete that requirement. 

• Like 1

There is a good video on YouTube called "Princess Cruises Safety Video 2021"  It explains clearly a lot about security and the muster drill which will happen when on board.  It is a very good general guide and some details may have changed slightly.  Viewing it wont count towards needing to see the video once onboard but you will have a much better understanding of the whole process.

Regards John

• Haha 1

I have watched that muster video I don't know how many times.  It's a great improvement over the old method of gathering in one area with life jackets and trying to hear the crew official over the room noise.  Of course, you miss out on the fun of watching people get the jackets on wrong or--my favorite part--"hold your nose and walk, don't jump" overboard. 🙂

8 hours ago, lauren0309 said:

It's available on the phone after you board or on the cabin TV. You can start the video on the TV while you unpack. I usually go for go few drinks while the wife stays in the cabin with the medallions or it won't register that you were in the cabin. 

16 hours ago, KillerSnake said:

They cover this in the "muster" video you are required to watch (and hopefully pay attention).  

4 hours ago, greenbeanie said:

how do I know where my muster station is before I go to the cabin?  Does that info pop up on the app once I board (like, it seems, the folio does).?

I ask security about that as I first board. They will tell you.

25 minutes ago, EDDY0827 said:

You stop the line to board, as the check you in at the gangway. Why not just look on the back of your cabin door

• Like 3

5 hours ago, EDDY0827 said:

All the does is delay others from boarding as quickly as they have to look it up for you. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, greenbeanie said:

how do I know where my muster station is before I go to the cabin?  Does that info pop up on the app once I board (like, it seems, the folio does).?

It's on the app. Hit "Journey", "Explore the Ship Map", then "Muster Station". It's my understanding the location of your muster station isn't accurate until you actually board. I've read it just shows a placeholder location before then.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

9 hours ago, greenbeanie said:

Isn't it on your cruise card? OOPS, oh wait, you have a medallion, not a cruise card. 🤣🤦‍♂️

11 hours ago, greenbeanie said:

Ask any crew member. The muster stations are all on the promenade decks or one deck below. Crew members at these stations wear yellow hats. Muster stations are mostly along the promenade deck. 

Muster stations will be in the same section as you cabin either on a deck below or above. Aft cabins will have an aft muster station, forward cabins a forward muster station. It goes like that. 

2 hours ago, 555 said:

All the does is delay others from boarding as quickly as they have to look it up for you. 

Absolutely NOT a delay boarding.

It goes like this:

Me: Could you tell me my muster location?

Security: Yes sir! It is the Crown Grill.

Me: Thank you.

It would take less time to give you that information than it did to read this.

It is listed with your photo on their device screens.

7 hours ago, antsp said:

You stop the line to board, as the check you in at the gangway. Why not just look on the back of your cabin door

The question was in finding your muster station BEFORE you can get access to your room.

1 hour ago, EDDY0827 said:

Absolutely NOT a delay boarding.

It goes like this:

Me: Could you tell me my muster location?

Security: Yes sir! It is the Crown Grill.

Me: Thank you.

It would take less time to give you that information than it did to read this.

It is listed with your photo on their device screens.

Since there are a few stations, the answer the security people will tell you is only to appease you & get you going in the correct deck and not necessarily the right one. 😄 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

It's on the app. Hit "Journey", "Explore the Ship Map", then "Muster Station". It's my understanding the location of your muster station isn't accurate until you actually board. I've read it just shows a placeholder location before then.

I checked the app the morning of the cruise while sitting in the pre cruise hotel. When we boarded we walked to the assigned muster station listed in the app and got accounted for. Then off for a customary welcome aboard drink. 

On 4/19/2024 at 7:48 AM, leck57 said:

Not sure. I would have thought that you get to the muster point as soon as possible - the life boats are equipped with life jackets. In the past we all had to attend our muster stations at the same time and you could have asked your question but now we just watch the safety video on the cabin tv and just attend the muster station so you know where it is if needed.

I'm hoping that you will not need to have this experience on your cruise. 

There is still someone at each muster station (at least as of December 2023) and you can go up and ask. I had to go up as neither the TV nor my app would record that I had watched the video for some reason. After sitting through that video four times, I went to the station to see if someone was there and they could help. They were and they somehow checked me off manually (after watching me watch the video yet again.)

15 hours ago, greenbeanie said:

I think people who need to know where there muster station is prior to boarding are not really cut out for cruising.  The location of the muster station displayed is on the back of your cabin door together with information of how to get there. A written reminder of which one is yours A, B, C etc. is on your life jacket.  The drill procedure has to be completed before the ship sails and therefore the risk is very low, you are still in port. If you ask security they will likely say deck 7 as they don't know which cabin you are in and if you tell them again probably tell you look at the notice on your cabin door.

I equate this sort of concern with attempting to check in at a hotel and asking them where the fire exit is from your room and not checking in until this is resolved.  You cant be too careful, can you.

Regards John

• Haha 1