Cruise line websites . What is the issue ?

I like to book my own cruises online , it should be a clear cut process.

Lately ( last several years ) there seems to be a constant issue with cruise line websites not functioning properly.

That said , can anyone who is more tech savy than myself tell me what the issue or issues are that are causing these websites

not to function as they should.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

• Like 1

I do agree with you.  Some sort of malfunctioning of their system.  Cruise lines need to hire good companies to build and manage their IT department.  Even simple common sense does not work.

If I am switched to Canadian site it still quotes me in USD.  No wonder errors occur and the they do not agree and we are penalized.  Examples are also the airlines like Qatar Airways,

• Thanks 1

It could be software issues, hardware issues, less than competent I.T. techs or any combination of those factors.  Only they would be able to tell you.

Personally, I haven't noticed constant issues as you reported.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

It could be software issues, hardware issues, less than competent I.T. techs or any combination of those factors.  Only they would be able to tell you.

Last 3 days Princess website, I have unable to book a cruise 

It’s not just cruise lines. Try airlines and hotels- lots of glitches.

That said, however, the one travel website (and it’s accompanying app) that I have found to be the least problematic and best maintained/updated is United Airlines. Add to that the fact that they actually answer their phones!

• Thanks 1

I don’t know about united because I don’t fly united 

but I 200% agree on the glitches I 

can’t understand how they hire incompetent Techs.

just ridiculous 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

It’s not just cruise lines. Try airlines and hotels- lots of glitches.

That said, however, the one travel website (and it’s accompanying app) that I have found to be the least problematic and best maintained/updated is United Airlines. Add to that the fact that they actually answer their phones!

I LOVE United!!!!!!!!!!!!! And agree with you.

I like to book my cruises directly with the cruise line. But my last two cruises I’ve been unable to book the cruise I want direct and had to go through an online travel agent to book. 

They fail to understand that the website should operate as a retail outlet not a slick travel brochure.  Then there are times I think they purposely obfuscate so customers will find a travel agent. I have come to realize they really want you to use a Travel Agent, they don’t want the retail headaches, they want to operate at the wholesale level so therefore the websites are just slick marketing brochures

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I don't notice it. As an IT person myself It could be a plethora of causes whatever the issue and may not even be their website but your own device or connection that is the problem.

There's so many variables involved it's not as simple as "their system" even if that's how the common folk may see it.

My humble opinion is it's something on your end if it's occurring on multiple websites and happening routinely or regularly. Not all websites are handled by the same tech, equipment, network infrastructure, etc.

Each cruise line would configure, manage, and administer their own (or outsourced to another company to do for them), so the fact it's occurring across different sites for you suggests an issue on your side perhaps with your own Internet connection at the time you experience it. Of course, connections are dynamic and constantly changing depending on resource usage and availability. 

Edited by bg2310
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have been told numerous times that all of the CCL brands outsource to the same company. I do not understand why you would not change companies after the 7 year of poor performance. However there do seem to be operational differences among the brands 

I agree that some cruiseline websites are too glitchy for words.  Good IT people are incredibly expensive.  I think it's a double-edged issue ... 1) they don't want to spend the money for a really good IT experience because most of the people using the website probably cause the problems themselves.  And 2) cruiselines probably want you to use a travel agent (a real one, not some online booking service) to add some space between the cruiseline and the pax; then they can blame the middle-man for pax errors.  I know that information I can barely wade through is a snap for my cruise-expert TA ... and she does most of the work on the phone.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kashmira said:

Ok if that’s what they want let them abolish direct and work with agents who again are lousy once they get their commission

This is not true for all TAs.

• Like 1

I have come to believe that the travel industry is controlled by a few players. When I have done research to see who owns any of the big travel websites, it typically comes down to a couple of the same companies. It is all so intertwined it makes sense that it seems to be an industry wide problem.

It is scary for a company to be a leader/changer in an industry, and I am sure they know that it is costing them money, but it isn't enough to change the status quo.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2024 at 11:02 AM, ColeThornton said:

We have not experienced them either.  Well, sometimes speeds are slow but that isn't limited to cruise line sites.   

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, kashmira said:

Well we demand change 

if we don’t stand together they won’t care

It is not clear to me exactly what the problems might be.  What change would you demand specifically? 

I occasionally run into slow speeds/page loading issues, but can't say it happens more with cruise line sites than it does across the board.  

Edited by ldubs

33 minutes ago, ldubs said:

It is not clear to me exactly what the problems might be.  What change would you demand specifically? 

I occasionally run into slow speeds/page loading issues, but can't say it happens more with cruise line sites than it does across the board.  

For example on Holland’s notoriously bad website all last week many people using different operating systems could not get past the first step of booking. One could not even get a price.  The website is cluttered with links that result in an error message dead end. 

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Mike981 said:

I have come to believe that the travel industry is controlled by a few players. When I have done research to see who owns any of the big travel websites, it typically comes down to a couple of the same companies. It is all so intertwined it makes sense that it seems to be an industry wide problem.

It is scary for a company to be a leader/changer in an industry, and I am sure they know that it is costing them money, but it isn't enough to change the status quo.

'big travel websites' are not travel agents (or advisers as they wish to be known as now), most travel websites are just online booking services.  You tell them what you want, they book it, they make money.  If trouble arises you're on your own. There's big money in these websites.  Cruisers need to find a real travel advisor, one who is a cruise expert.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mike981 said:

I often research cruises online and get emails about sakes from several.  I've noticed lately that the pricing, format, etc. are exactly the same for several of these sites.  I mean, word for word, graphics, anything.  So I think you are right.  It's not that easy to find a really good TA who isn't bound to some big travel agency.  

I will say that I have mostly had very good service from the agents I do use--I have a couple of favorites, and they do work for big agencies.

6 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I often research cruises online and get emails about sakes from several.  I've noticed lately that the pricing, format, etc. are exactly the same for several of these sites.  I mean, word for word, graphics, anything.  So I think you are right.  It's not that easy to find a really good TA who isn't bound to some big travel agency.  

I will say that I have mostly had very good service from the agents I do use--I have a couple of favorites, and they do work for big agencies.

All of the cruise lines ALL, regardless how big or small provide any agency with marketing materials. This includes mailings, website “brochures” , etc…. Each agency then decides who they want to work with and that will be based more on who their customer base is than on other variables 

• Like 1

At the end of the day, it really comes down to IT, specifically their customer facing IT, not being a priority to the cruise line executives. I don't know if it's because they don't understand it, and hence ignore it, or if they just don't put much emphasis on the pre-cruise experience.  Either way, they either under-invest in these IT systems, or they don't manage the quality of the developer's work.  It seems to be an issue for most cruise lines.  There's really no excuse.  Other travel related websites offer reliable websites with excellent functionality. Cruise line websites could, and should, do the same.  The fact that they don't is 100% a management issue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1