Happy to see Holland America embrace their Dutch Heritage

23 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Thanks. Love Stroopwafels and Bosche bols are a favorite from the Grand Dutch Cafe. Glad to see Bosche bols are coming to non-Pinnacle-class ships.

I’m not a big fan of stroopwafels but I can’t wait to try one of those Bosche bols on my upcoming Rotterdam cruise! They look awfully big though…

• Like 1

I have a question about the Veal Kroketten that is served on HAL in the dining room and the Dutch Cafe.

When we have Veal Croquettes at home, the texture of the veal was a relatively course ground and was similar to a typical meat loaf.  On the Hal ships - in particular, the Konigsdam, the veal tasted like it had been pureed like baby food?  Is that typical of what you would find in the Netherlands?

I like to see a good variety of ethnic foods on all of the cruises.

14 minutes ago, jlawrence01 said:

I have a question about the Veal Kroketten that is served on HAL in the dining room and the Dutch Cafe.

When we have Veal Croquettes at home, the texture of the veal was a relatively course ground and was similar to a typical meat loaf.  On the Hal ships - in particular, the Konigsdam, the veal tasted like it had been pureed like baby food?  Is that typical of what you would find in the Netherlands?

I found it the same way but on my most recent voyage it was ground not puréed at least in the MDR.  I found the puréed version off putting 

• Like 2

I have noticed on recent voyages an embrace of Indonesian heritage also.  Since they have been intertwined for many centuries I was also happy to see this inclusion.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Navybikermom said:

I’m not a big fan of stroopwafels but I can’t wait to try one of those Bosche bols on my upcoming Rotterdam cruise! They look awfully big though…

They are smaller now and it is a good thing.  Now they feed one or two instead of dessert for a family of 4😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, jlawrence01 said:

I've tasted the Kroket on the Rotterdam last week and was not impressed.  My guess is that these Kroketten have a low percentage of Veal. I think the use of beef will give meatier texture. I prefer a Beef Kroket over a Veal Kroket.

Looking forward to all those Dutch goodies.  My husband was Dutch and we visited Holland several times together.  This will be as close to Holland as I will get again.  Can't wait!!!

happytotravel

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 2:45 PM, Navybikermom said:

I've had some really big (grapefruit size) Bosche Bols that fed 2-3 people. Also had baseball size - not sure which is "normal" but they're terrific. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 4/27/2024 at 3:06 PM, SSFrance69 said:

Lekker! I'm excited! First Holland cruise next year to Alaska. I'm looking forward to eating some Dutch food!

Here's a glimpse to tide you over.

20231106_160201.thumb.jpg.c841d313dd3170cd2f5948c2313bd428.jpg

20240203_020303.thumb.jpg.0211d3851b9ea6dfb9431a69f02cc6d4.jpg

20231106_160222.thumb.jpg.886ee8cca3d187cd3e38abeb6a56d386.jpg

20231106_160241.thumb.jpg.752a1a3b7b181ea9fc62ca9474c6e648.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Remove duplicate pic
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, happytotravel said:

Hello Haljo 1935,

I am hungry now!   My cruise begins on June 01 so I'll be enjoying all these wonderful goodies very soon.  Thank you for sharing those photos.

happytotravel

Happy to do it! Never had a bad bite or drink there and now I'm hungry!

We just left Neiuw Amsterdam on Sunday. On Saturday we saw the mention of the Dutch menu and that the little waffle cookies would be delivered to cabin. None of that happened. We ate in the MDR...nothing. After dinner checked out the Lido....nothing.