Are Celebrity’s Exciting Deals promotions getting a lot less exciting?

Stockjock

On 4/30/2024 at 11:37 AM, Stockjock said:

It’s been my understanding that the pricing offered under Celebrity’s exciting deals promotion is about as good as it gets. In fact, I grabbed a discounted cruise out of Los Angeles last year, and they refused to honor my usual American Express cruise privilege benefit on that sailing because exciting deals are supposedly their rock-bottom prices, and don’t qualify for perks like that. 

I got their most recent exciting deals today, and they don’t seem exciting at all. They seem to be about what I would usually expect for a regular sailing that wasn’t part of a promotion. So is it just my imagination, or are the exciting deals a lot less exciting?

What's the AMEX Cruise Privilege Discount?

10 minutes ago, capsplace said:

Hello,

I was happy to see your post. Sorry I missed you in Breckenridge - I was on a cruise with my daughter. I lost your email address. Hope all is well. We are off today trying the E class ship (the Edge) for the first time. All the best, Leanne

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, capsplace said:

I believe it only applies to American Express Platinum card holders.

Basically, if you book cruises through an Amex Qualified Travel Agent, you may receive some perks when you use your Amex. Platinum card.  Many travel agents have this qualification, but not all, so for those looking for the perks, it's important to ask. 

Right now, I have 2 bookings with 2 unrelated TAs and both have that qualification.  You do have to make the request, as it doesn't happen automatically.  Direct bookings don't qualify, so again, to get the perks, one must use a Amex qualified TA to do the booking, and the entire balance must be paid w/the Amex Platinum card.  There are also some nice trip interruption/ medical evacuation benefits backed into the card's benefits.  It's pricey, but I get a lot out of it.

What the perks are depends on the cruise line, number of days in the sailing, and category of cabin booked.  For example, we have an Oceania cruise upcoming and I think for pretty much any category booked, I receive $300 in OBC, a bottle of wine of my choice from their tastings menu, and an invite to a wine tasting.  Usually, I get $200-$300 OBC on my Celebrity bookings, but it depends.  This is in addition to any OBC that your travel agent may provide in their normal course of business.  Often, they include an extra amenity, which could include specialty dining, or similar.

Here's a link that may be helpful.https://www.americanexpress.com/icc/cards/benefits/travel/cruise-privileges-and-discounts.html

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

Thank you!  We have a Platinum Card and never thought to ask our TA if there is any benefit using that card.  Plus I believe she is an AMEX TA.  Thanks!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, capsplace said:

Thank you!  We have a Platinum Card and never thought to ask our TA if there is any benefit using that card.  Plus I believe she is an AMEX TA.  Thanks!

Google “amex cruise privileges program”

• Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 11:17 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Dunno as they have stopped sending me the emails.

I don't get them anymore either.  Strange.  And I know you are a long time Celebrity cruiser as I have been on some of your cruises!!!

16 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I believe it only applies to American Express Platinum card holders.

Basically, if you book cruises through an Amex Qualified Travel Agent, you may receive some perks when you use your Amex. Platinum card.  Many travel agents have this qualification, but not all, so for those looking for the perks, it's important to ask. 

Right now, I have 2 bookings with 2 unrelated TAs and both have that qualification.  You do have to make the request, as it doesn't happen automatically.  Direct bookings don't qualify, so again, to get the perks, one must use a Amex qualified TA to do the booking, and the entire balance must be paid w/the Amex Platinum card.  There are also some nice trip interruption/ medical evacuation benefits backed into the card's benefits.  It's pricey, but I get a lot out of it.

What the perks are depends on the cruise line, number of days in the sailing, and category of cabin booked.  For example, we have an Oceania cruise upcoming and I think for pretty much any category booked, I receive $300 in OBC, a bottle of wine of my choice from their tastings menu, and an invite to a wine tasting.  Usually, I get $200-$300 OBC on my Celebrity bookings, but it depends.  This is in addition to any OBC that your travel agent may provide in their normal course of business.  Often, they include an extra amenity, which could include specialty dining, or similar.

Here's a link that may be helpful.https://www.americanexpress.com/icc/cards/benefits/travel/cruise-privileges-and-discounts.html

Doesn't look like Celebrity qualifies for the program.  One good thing though, confirmed our TA is a qualified AMEX TA.  Good to know for the future.

3 hours ago, capsplace said:

Doesn't look like Celebrity qualifies for the program.  One good thing though, confirmed our TA is a qualified AMEX TA.  Good to know for the future.

Celebrity does potentially qualify. As I mentioned earlier, certain promotions may not qualify, such as exciting deals.

IMG_1227.jpeg

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Celebrity does potentially qualify. As I mentioned earlier, certain promotions may not qualify, such as exciting deals.

IMG_1227.jpeg

Thank you!  My TA just said the same thing 🙂 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kayehall said:

I don't get them anymore either.  Strange.  And I know you are a long time Celebrity cruiser as I have been on some of your cruises!!!

Celebrity's e-mail setup is strange.  I used to get these and then they stopped.  I also used to get the PowerUp Points ones too and then one day they quit.  

Honestly, I can see the prices being fair myself, I’ve priced enough hotels lately to know.  $400 a night with zero food etc is more the norm lately than not in a nice hotel. Nothing is less expensive than it used to be, except televisions. 🙂

On 5/1/2024 at 8:20 AM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I don’t like the new format they using , it has more graphics but harder to find cruises easily 

also they removed the Canadian pricing 

The website offers Canadian pricing.   Just looked up a few.  

Exciting deals pricing has always been hit or miss.  Just looked up the current listings and found a few deals but also found a few that seemed to be full retail. 
As always the biggest issue is many of the exciting deals depart within the next 30-45 days making flights usually more expensive. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Not on this link I have been using since the restart 

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/Exciting_Deals/CEL_Exciting_Deals.pdf

I go to the X webpage and in the upper right hand corner is a link titled “Offers”.  When you click on that link one of the options is Excited Deals which brings you to this page https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-deals/exciting-deals?icid=spclff_tctclp_xct_hm_other_206

Once on that page I click the “From Canada” link at the top right which then brings me to Canadian pricing of the exciting deals.  
Good Luck. 

Edited by RickT

1 hour ago, RickT said:

I go to the X webpage and in the upper right hand corner is a link titled “Offers”.  When you click on that link one of the options is Excited Deals which brings you to this page https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-deals/exciting-deals?icid=spclff_tctclp_xct_hm_other_206

Once on that page I click the “From Canada” link at the top right which then brings me to Canadian pricing of the exciting deals.  
Good Luck. 

See post #22

5 hours ago, -The-True-North- said:

How do you find a TA with group rate discounts?

I did a lot of research on line and came across a site that allows you to create an account and post the details of a desired cruise:  ship, sail date, room category etc.  In the notes I indicated I was interested in a group rate.  After inputting all of my cruise info. it went out to a database of TA's who essentially bid for your business with their best offer.  You can pick among the offers or not...completely up to you.  Unfortunately, rules won't allow me to name the site but with some key word searches I'm sure it would pop up.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I did a lot of research on line and came across a site that allows you to create an account and post the details of a desired cruise:  ship, sail date, room category etc.  In the notes I indicated I was interested in a group rate.  After inputting all of my cruise info. it went out to a database of TA's who essentially bid for your business with their best offer.  You can pick among the offers or not...completely up to you.  Unfortunately, rules won't allow me to name the site but with some key word searches I'm sure it would pop up.

Sounds like for this 'CRUISE' you had agents 'COMPETE' for your business.

Yes I have posted there too. Thank you 

• Like 2

Group pricing is not as good as it was a couple years ago

our TA group price on up coming fall  Transatlantic was $4200 CAD for 2 in a V2 cabin, included taxes, drink package , wifi and refundable 

we were able to book a basic V2 for $1666 cad with taxes , we are Elite , so the perks will be enough for us 

our OBC will cover tips , 

so $2600 for drinks is a lot 

a couple years ago group price was about the same as a basic cruise 

Dunno as they have stopped sending me the emails.

Me too! Are they just ignoring the past guests? After all, we know what they are doing with pricing and the fact that X is just not that attractive anymore. 

You'll find us in MSC Yacht Club, but that is going up, too. At least they offer something for the higher price.

19 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

Me too! Are they just ignoring the past guests? After all, we know what they are doing with pricing and the fact that X is just not that attractive anymore. 

You'll find us in MSC Yacht Club, but that is going up, too. At least they offer something for the higher price.

Kathy, my problem with MSC Yacht Club is that the price has increased a great deal, I've lost my diamond status due to not cruising with them for 3 years, and I absolutely hate driving to Miami!  For you, I realize that's not an issue.  I did enjoy their private island.

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Kathy, my problem with MSC Yacht Club is that the price has increased a great deal, I've lost my diamond status due to not cruising with them for 3 years, and I absolutely hate driving to Miami!  For you, I realize that's not an issue.  I did enjoy their private island.

Yes, the price has gone up, but the food has gotten better, and we had great entertainment in the lounge in Feb.. It is a better deal than X, that's for sure.

As far as Diamond, just reapply with your X status. Oh, and you still get chocolate, but it is no longer a ship :(. 

We tried VV twice. It was interesting, but we are over it. The food is the same every day. I can't imagine a long cruise with the same food every day. The food was better than Luminea.

Virgin was definitely different!

3 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

Yes, the price has gone up, but the food has gotten better, and we had great entertainment in the lounge in Feb.. It is a better deal than X, that's for sure.

As far as Diamond, just reapply with your X status. Oh, and you still get chocolate, but it is no longer a ship :(. 

We tried VV twice. It was interesting, but we are over it. The food is the same every day. I can't imagine a long cruise with the same food every day. The food was better than Luminea.

Virgin was definitely different!

Interesting.  My understanding was that one could only do the match once.  Have they changed that?  Maybe I'll have Frank look into it for me.  I did always love the entertainment in the lounge and that lounge definitely has the Retreat Lounge beat.  And I do love their private island.  I must admit those chocolate ships were a bit over the top.  Beth brought me a bottle of prosecco from her last cruise with them.  Just wish they had more interesting itineraries.  Maybe one day I'll get over my hate for the Miami freeways.  😃

Dunno as they have stopped sending me the emails

Me too!
I was just mentioning that to our friends yesterday.
Guess I'm going to have to call them to find out why - I'm a taking a wild guess and thinking it was the entire password debacle from last month.
~R