Asking for opinions from Frequent Laundry Users

We are sailing on the Marina soon and opted for the concierge level for the first time.  While planning to take advantage of the 3 free bags of laundry, I am wondering if I can trust that my clothes will come back in good shape.  Commercial dryers use high heat and I'm worried about things shrinking and fading. Has anyone experienced any issues when sending out their laundry? 

Suggest you try 1 bag with items of lesser importance, to judge finished quality for yourself.

Have never had a problem with O's handling of laundry.  Always satisfied with professional service.

• Like 3

We've used the laundry service a number of times, specifically on the Marina. We've never had a problem with them but, as I think about it, we also don't send our nicer things out to be laundered (because we haven't needed to).

I only had one bag done once - cotton underwear and the like. It was clean but had a kinda greyish hint to it. I personally would do my good stuff.

I have used my bags as well as done my own laundry. The bags are washed and Folded, not pressed or returned on hangers, etc. you pay for those services.  Send out anything that does not need ironing because it will come back wrinkled in the bag. If I have sent out shirts and pants, I know I will take them back to the laundry to iron them. Casual daytime clothes are great bag material, IMHO. 

Mauibabes

I have sent out a bag with delicates and written cold wash and low temp dry (large black letters, circled and with stars around!) and they have come back just fine.....t

24 minutes ago, basor said:

I have sent out a bag with delicates and written cold wash and low temp dry (large black letters, circled and with stars around!) and they have come back just fine.....t

That's what we do, too, and we have been very happy with the service. You may also get 3-4 vouchers for pressing.

• Like 1

One of the biggest hassles with the laundry is the 3 day turn around. Clothes come back folded but not the way my grandmother would do it!!!

We have had no problem with the service. Unlike other line's laundries we have never lost an item and that's a good thing too.

We just returned from 51 days on Marina in Concierge cabin and found our 9 bags of laundry to be perfectly washed and folded neatly in the bag for return which surprised us since the service on Nautica last year was not so well done. Never had to wait more than a day and a half even after exiting the Amazon River where launderette had been closed for 6 days due to water restrictions. Also, Concierge cabin comes with 3 free pressings per leg of the cruise so we had more than we needed. We simply write on the pressing card the description of the item we wanted ironed. Dress shirts came back on a hanger and beautifully done. I wouldn't hesitate to use them. Obviously, anything special you should do yourself and unlike Nautica which has only one small launderette for the entire ship, Marina has one on each of the stateroom decks with 3 washers, 3 dryers, 2 ironing stations, sofa and tv in each. If you do laundry in deck 9, you can wait in the Concierge Lounge just steps away, where there are refreshments.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you to everyone for the great feedback.   I had not thought about a few things people commented on, and I will now definitely be writing cold, low temp, on all my bags. Your input is most appreciated. 

You really don't have to worry, they do a nice job.  Never had a problem.  We've done 8 cruises on them and always had laundry done by them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I did a Live From Regatta, Alaska Sept 2023.

I think I posted a laundry ticket photo.  Perhaps you will find it.  Not sure on which page it is posted.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2961465-live-from-regatta-07-sept-20-sept-2023-alaska-to-california-medley-vancouver-to-la/?do=getNewComment

Edited by FetaCheese

10 hours ago, Kay S said:

What is the cost for non-free laundry?

These were the prices last June. If you are on a longer voyage (in September a 12 night had it), there may be a "laundry special" of 1 bag (20 items) for ~$25.

20230611_153808.jpg

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

These were the prices last June. If you are on a longer voyage (in September a 12 night had it), there may be a "laundry special" of 1 bag (20 items) for ~$25.

20230611_153808.jpg

@AMHuntFerry

Thanks for posting this.

On our behind the scenes tour on Marina I recall them saying wash is done in cold or room temp water.  Someone else can confirm if I heard correctly.  

My first personal thank you note goes to the ships Laundry Master and team.   On the small ships there are 7-8 crew and on the larger ships, !5-17.   These workers do all the bedding (which is changed at least every 3 days), towels, pool towels, pool lounge covers, everything in the spa, medical center, all the tablecloths, napkins, crew uniforms and 3 bags full for Concierge!    It’s a 24 hour operation and when I ask them to hang my jeans to dry and not in the dryer, they respectfully do so.   

I have brought clothing specifically onboard for them to dry clean when my dry cleaner was unable to get whatever spot out.   They get my silks as well as my sequins and out of 60 cruises, only once did my pj top come back (souvenir tshirt) come back faded with an apology and offer of replacement or shipboard credit.   

they make the ship look pristine and are the unseen hero’s onboard.  I highlight them as employees of the week mid cruise and on the end of cruise always name the team as employees of the month.   

they are the most consistent best thing about Oceania!   

• Like 8

On 5/6/2024 at 2:01 AM, Sebbiesgrammy said:

We just returned from 51 days on Marina in Concierge cabin and found our 9 bags of laundry to be perfectly washed and folded neatly in the bag for return which surprised us since the service on Nautica last year was not so well done. Never had to wait more than a day and a half even after exiting the Amazon River where launderette had been closed for 6 days due to water restrictions. Also, Concierge cabin comes with 3 free pressings per leg of the cruise so we had more than we needed. We simply write on the pressing card the description of the item we wanted ironed. Dress shirts came back on a hanger and beautifully done. I wouldn't hesitate to use them. Obviously, anything special you should do yourself and unlike Nautica which has only one small launderette for the entire ship, Marina has one on each of the stateroom decks with 3 washers, 3 dryers, 2 ironing stations, sofa and tv in each. If you do laundry in deck 9, you can wait in the Concierge Lounge just steps away, where there are refreshments.  

So far we have only been on Riviera and Marina. Besides pressing (I hate to iron) I prefer to use the washers in the laundry room. Finding an open machine has never been a problem, so I was worried to read that Nautica only has one laundry room. Our upcoming cruise will be at the end of a six week Europe trip, so we’ll definitely need to do laundry. Were the machines always busy?

Thanks!

27 minutes ago, mbiggers said:

So far we have only been on Riviera and Marina. Besides pressing (I hate to iron) I prefer to use the washers in the laundry room. Finding an open machine has never been a problem, so I was worried to read that Nautica only has one laundry room. Our upcoming cruise will be at the end of a six week Europe trip, so we’ll definitely need to do laundry. Were the machines always busy?

Thanks!

Pretty much, yes. It always seemed to be the same people hanging out in a very small room waiting on the few machines. We had a major complication in that the first 18 of our 32 day cruise we were under health protocols because guests and crew were victim to a GI bug. Those protocols include closure of launderette and library getting some folks very anxious about having access. Nowadays many pride themselves on traveling light so this is a bigger issue than it used to be. O offered a one price for a large laundry bag during that time but some people still want to do their own laundry.

1 hour ago, Sebbiesgrammy said:

Pretty much, yes. It always seemed to be the same people hanging out in a very small room waiting on the few machines. We had a major complication in that the first 18 of our 32 day cruise we were under health protocols because guests and crew were victim to a GI bug. Those protocols include closure of launderette and library getting some folks very anxious about having access. Nowadays many pride themselves on traveling light so this is a bigger issue than it used to be. O offered a one price for a large laundry bag during that time but some people still want to do their own laundry.

Hmm, we may need to send our laundry out. Thanks for the info!

All R ships have one laundry room on deck 7, 3 washers/dryers and it can be busy so check it out at different times of the day. When you board, grab your laundry and head to the laundry before you get heavy into unpacking. You did not say you were in a Concierge Stateroom or above as you do get 3 Complimentary bags done, 20 items per bag. 
O and A ships have Free Laundry rooms on each Passenger Deck and of course, Complimentary. 
Laundry’s open officially at 7:30 but you can often find them open earlier after the staff finish cleaning the room up. Sea days are always busy laundry days but there are windows of opportunity, or if you have a later Excursion you might also be successful. It really can be a trial and error thing when it comes to doing laundry. We usually put the laundry in and head to Breakfast and then one of us makes a dash after about 30 minutes to put things in the dryer. By the time we are done with Breakfast in the GDR or Terrace Cafe or …, so is the laundry. Lots of times after earlier Excursions, we have returned and put clothes in the laundry, good availability then since most everyone is off the ship. Late afternoon or evening can also be good times, just roll the dice. 
It can be done so just fit it in. 
Mauibabes

On 5/5/2024 at 7:16 PM, Sew Creative said:

We are sailing on the Marina soon and opted for the concierge level for the first time.  While planning to take advantage of the 3 free bags of laundry, I am wondering if I can trust that my clothes will come back in good shape.  Commercial dryers use high heat and I'm worried about things shrinking and fading. Has anyone experienced any issues when sending out their laundry? 

Never an issue. We do some ourselves nearer to cruise end, as it may take up to 3 days to get it back.

I was on Regatta in April. We used the 3 bags of laundry. Things came back ok. Nothing was ruined, but they are just folded and not exactly fresh smelling. Better than before they were laudered.  Lol

We had a similar offer on Holland America and all the clothes (even undies) were pressed and hangers.  

The one tiny laundry room was always busy and I didn’t feel like washing while on a cruise, so the laundry offer was fine.  I only sent tee shirts, tank tops, shorts, nothing that needed special care.